Thread: Dodian

Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Quoted
    901 Post(s)

Default Dodian

Saw this pop up on my YouTube.. Bring back memory's.. Was a sad day..

@Flight; I have the feels right now.. Got any contact with Pablo/Winten/Dodian?

For all that don't know, Dodian/Uber was one of my first RSPS's I ever played. Was Global Moderator on 2.0/3.0.. Good old times

Forum account issues? Please send me a PM

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

Thanks for the video. I certainly wasn't around in those final days, if my memory serves me correct I left shortly after Winten (half-assed) installed my Agility system to the game. Perhaps I'll use this opportunity to tell you all a short story of my Dodian days, if you're interested.

First off, if you're from the original RSPS scene perhaps you know me as Wolf. Started in Mopar's forums (registered before Wizzup?, haha!), RS2Labs, Sythe (where Dodian was actually first advertised), and of course RuneServer (now Rune-Server). Uberscape (the actual name of the game of Dodian) 1.0 was based off a very raw version of the initial RSPS, before Whitescape, Cheezscape or even Project16 (my series). The second version I can't quite remember, but it didn't last so long. After introducing Winten (owner of Dodian) to Project16 we decided that would be the best way to go. Believe it or not the initial version of the server was much better before Winten publicly launched it. The projectiles (arrows & spells) worked correctly) but were removed then later (wrongly) re-added. Attacking animations were appropriately loaded for each weapon but he decided all weapons shall use a single animation. My holiday events came with a quest and an array of NPC dialogue for realistic-ness but was apparently too complex for the server. My Agility was perfect with correct animations while crossing an object, these were removed also.

Most actually didn't know about who was the person behind the updates, as long as the game was up that's what mattered haha. On the forums I was Wolf but I only entered the game on this account for developmental purposes, and my in-game account for playing was Army of One, also moderator because at this time only Dodian was in-game admin. Later on membership options were released for 3.0 and you could also purchase these with real RS cash. Winten had showed me his RS Partyhats once, almost a full set. You'd be surprised how much he made in real life off this server. A lot of the time a handful of us would hop on my development server for some fun or for me to give a demonstration of what would next be added to Dodian.

Let's see.... On a more private note that actually no one knows I met a girl in-game on Dodian. Her nephew in the Nederlands introduced her to it and we met there. We became pretty good friends, she came on my development server quite a bit and played Dodian less. Later we played RS together, chatted a lot on MSN and the phone and in 2010, believe it or not, I came to Indonesia to meet her for the first time. Can you believe it? All from a private server... I still live here and no, we're not "together" but that's a story for a different day.

So there you have it, a brief glimpse behind Dodian and a little bit of history about me, for what it's worth.

Edit:
    To answer your question, Justin, I have no contact with him. IRC (on-site) and in-game RS was the only way I ever talked with him.
    Last edited by Flight; 01-03-2014 at 08:28 AM.

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Quoted
    901 Post(s)

Oh wow, didn't know half of that, here I was thinking it was all Dodian doing the work.

It's a good read, I knew there was a dev server but he wouldn't let me on it . It's nice to see that you actually met someone in real life from the rsps, so I'm guessing you moved to Indonesia?

Any plans to get back into the RSPS action?
    Last edited by Justin; 01-03-2014 at 08:45 AM.

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Oh wow, didn't know half of that, here I was thinking it was all Dodian doing the work.

It's a good read, I knew there was a dev server but he wouldn't let me on it . It's nice to see that you actually met someone in real life from the rsps, so I'm guessing you moved to Indonesia?

Any plans to get back into the RSPS action?
    You should have asked me about the development server, it wasn't his right to deny people access. Yes I'm currently living here in Indonesia. In the past I've had urges to work on something again but three things are stopping me. First is all of my RSPS resources are still on my computer in the US. Second is I'm quite sure server development has changed a drastic amount since I was heavily involved, I'd be way behind. And of course I've not had a whole lot of time to devote to being online, and of the time I do have it's poured into SRL and my own Simba-based projects. So I'm afraid I probably won't be getting back into that, although I do miss the days from time to time.

Edit:
    Oh yeah another fun fact for everyone else, as I'm sure Justin is aware of this, Uberscape (Dodian) was the longest lasting RSPS ever and was the first server to introduce economy. At the time of its release every other server consisted of 2 things: item-spawning and PvP everywhere. There are aspects of Dodian I didn't agree with for sure, but I'm thankful he choose to stray away from that and go with something that would have a future.
    Last edited by Flight; 01-03-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Current projects:

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1468 Post(s)

nice read flight !

btw this is the account of the first comment on the video. found this (yt name is justin)
    Last edited by Justin; 01-03-2014 at 11:25 AM.

Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Quoted
    901 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hoodz View Post
    nice read flight !

btw this is the account of the first comment on the video. found this (yt name is justin)
    Whoops. Comment removed and your link has been changed to the original video. Don't want Mr. Rogie tracking me down :P

Just so you know, that isn't me in the video!

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1468 Post(s)

Whoops. Comment removed and your link has been changed to the original video. Don't want Mr. Rogie tracking me down :P

Just so you know, that isn't me in the video!
    yea already thought that

rogie is already tracking me but i dont play rs anymore.

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
    Good read So did you move to Indonesia because of her or...
    For the most part but I was planning to leave my home town anyways, and where I live now is exactly 12 hours time difference so it's the furthest away I could have gotten.

Current projects:

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Anyone remember 58.22.101.138? AKA 'RS3' It was the first RSPS I ever played (2007)

Back when you could login to any server with a ip changer client
    Back when there was 'pkbox' and ahrims & dh were over powered

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Frugoscape is where it started and ended for me, also awesome story flight

Anti-Leech Movement Prevent Leeching Spread the word
    Insanity 60 Days (Killer workout)
    XoL Blog (Workouts/RS/Misc)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Saw this pop up on my YouTube.. Bring back memory's.. Was a sad day..

@Flight; I have the feels right now.. Got any contact with Pablo/Winten/Dodian?

For all that don't know, Dodian/Uber was one of my first RSPS's I ever played. Was Global Moderator on 2.0/3.0.. Good old times
    So my name on Dodian was nascarnate or thisisdef. I ran a dodian based server that did alright called naScape. Some of my friends names on Dodian were Riloc, Ballranger, and Ballzack. We had a blast on Dodian and were surprised it went down. I remember that Dodian also coded their own online game right? What ever happened to that?

Cheers mate.

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nascarnate View Post
    So my name on Dodian was nascarnate or thisisdef. I ran a dodian based server that did alright called naScape. Some of my friends names on Dodian were Riloc, Ballranger, and Ballzack. We had a blast on Dodian and were surprised it went down. I remember that Dodian also coded their own online game right? What ever happened to that?

Cheers mate.
    DodianWars, it was basically a clone of the infamous O-Game. AFAIK it didn't last for too long.

Current projects:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    DodianWars, it was basically a clone of the infamous O-Game. AFAIK it didn't last for too long.
    Yeah that's right DodianWars. I remember trying it out once. It wasn't too bad, but the actual Dodian RSPS outweighed it heavily.

Thread Information