How to install and setup Simba for RS3!
This guide was last updated on November 29th, 2013.
BEFORE posting, look at SRL's Frequently Asked Questions!
If you want to setup Simba for Old School Runescape, go here!
As you will soon realize, setting up Simba is extremely
easy. This guide covers the following:
- How to install Simba so it works with Runescape on both Windows and Linux operating systems.
- How to setup Simba so it will automatically download and update SRL, SPS, plugins, and extensions.
- How to properly setup your in-game graphics and interfaces.
- How to add players to the SRL player manager, Rafiki.
- How to setup a script's declarePlayers procedure.
- Other Simba extensions.
- Some troubleshooting tips.
- How to fix some common errors.
- Where to find quick help if needed.
Setting up your Ubuntu for Simba
Note that this may not work for all versions of Linux.
If you are using ANY version of Windows, skip to How to install/setup Simba!
How to install and setup WINE:
How to install Java Runtime Environment (JRE):
- If you don't already have WINE, run this command in the Terminal, then hit 'Y' to install and wait for it to finish downloading:
sudo apt-get install wine
- To test it out, go to Applications > Wine > Programs > Accessories > Notepad. If it opens, you've successfully installed WINE!
- In order for you to run Runescape, you need to install the Windows version of JRE in WINE. Go here > http://www.java.com/en/download/manual_v6.jsp, and download the OFFLINE version.
- Run the .exe with WINE (should run with WINE by default) and wait for everything to be installed.
- At this point, if you don't want to use SMART, you'll have to download and install the Windows version of Firefox (or another browser) the same way you installed Java.
- If you have trouble running a .exe through WINE, you may have to set your permissions. To do this, simply run this command in the terminal:
chmod a+x jre-6u26-windows-i586-s.exe
How to install/setup Simba
At this point, the steps are the same for both Windows and Linux. To avoid some possible errors, I recommended you disable your firewall for the duration of this tutorial
- Download and install Simba from here. If it gives you the option, download the 32-bit version (even if you are on a 64-bit machine).
- Open Simba; go to View > Extensions.
- Enable extensions.sex.
- Click View > Extensions Menu.
- Click Extensions > Check for Updates. Let it update.
- Restart Simba.
- Go to View > Extensions.
- Enable srl.sex and associate.sex.
- Click SRL > Check for Updates. Let the files download.
- Click SPS > Check for Updates. Let the files download (this may take a few minutes).
- Restart Simba.
- Go to Script > Interpreter > Lape. VERY IMPORTANT! Scripts will not compile if Lape isn't selected as the interpreter.
Now, let's test your setup to make sure everything is working properly:
- Navigate to your Simba/Includes/ folder, and make sure you have both an SPS and an SRL-6 folder.
- Go back to Simba, and copy/paste the following code into the text editor:
- Hit run (the green arrow) in Simba, or press F9 to run the current script. A console window will pop up, followed by SMART (this may take several minutes). You will also see a lot of text appearing in the debug box - this is where you will the progress of everything, including any error messages (hopefully you won't see any of these).
- A security window may pop up asking if you want to allow access to a file. Choose Always Allow and click Okay. A second/third window may pop up, in which case you should choose Always Allow for both.
- If at this point you get an error, refer to the SRL FAQ thread.
Setting up in-game graphics and interfaces
*** THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT STEP ***
Without this step, it is likely any script you run will exhibit very odd behavior. You need to properly set your graphics settings and in-game interface layout (don't worry, it is very easy):
- Disable SMART, so you can use your mouse.
- In the Runescape login screen, open the Options interface.
- Set screen-sizing to Fixed.
- Set graphics settings to Min (may vary from script-to-script, but is the default for most).
- Under Manual Setup, click Custom.
- Make sure you're in OpenGL mode. WARNING: If RS gives an error not allowing you to load OpenGL, you need to add JRE to your system's PATH settings before JDK.
- Login your player.
- Open the settings interface and select the preset layout Old School.
- Click Interface Settings and make sure that the "Slim Headers" is checked.
- Make sure the transparency bar is slid all the way to to left (so there is 0% transparency).
- Although it's not required, it is recommended that you lock your interfaces.
- You also have the option to make the chatbox smaller, and move the action bar down do the entire 3D game screen can be seen. But again, this is optional.
- When you're done, you should have a setup that looks something like this (I made the chatbox smaller).
Unfortunately, you may have to do this for every player you use.
Adding players to Rafiki (Player Manager)
Adding players to the player manager is very, very easy. It is a very basic form, but does allow multiple player files to be saved/loaded, as well and username and password encryption. It also means you will never
have to enter your username and password in a script ever again. Open Simba and go to SRL > Player Manager. A form should pop up:
The setup is pretty straight forward:
- Click the green "+" button to add a player.
- Edit the players information on the right. You'll notice only the login name and password are required. I recommend you also enter a nickname. This nickname can be used to load your player into a script, otherwise you will have to use your login name. The display name is used only for debugging.
- Choose whether or not you want to use encryption.
- Save your players!
- You can add/delete players from the list at any time.
Note that the Player Manager can run at any time, and it does not start a script
. The Player Manager and the script are completely separate. Script specific settings are set in the script.
How to setup a script's declarePlayers procedure
As a new user you may have trouble setting up each script for what you need, and for some of you this could be the first time you're looking at any code. Hopefully this will help with that. Each script has a procedure called "declarePlayers" where you setup your player information. In addition to this guide, each script writer should provide detailed instructions on how to properly setup the script.
Here's a brief lowdown on declarePlayers():
- players.setup(['Account1', 'Account2'], 'FileName');
This line determines the player(s) you want to use. 'Account1' and 'Account2' are the names of the accounts you want the script to use. You can use the account's login name, nickname, or display name (as long as you filled them out in the Rafiki player manager), and you can add as many players as you wish.
'FileName' is the name of the player file you saved in Rafiki. If you are unsure of the file name, it is likely 'default', otherwise you can to go your Simba/Includes/Players/ folder and check.
- The specific player information is usually associated with a "with players[X] do" clause. If you need to add more than the script provides, you can use copy/paste and change the "X" value.
players.setup(['Account1', 'Account2'], 'FileName');
currentPlayer := 0;
// this part is specific player settings, and will be different for every script
// this is to setup "Account1"
with players do
integers := 50;
integers := 25;
booleans := true;
// this is to setup "Account2"
with players do
integers := 50;
integers := 25;
booleans := true;
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Fixing common problems
Your problem is most likely outlined in this
thread. The same thread will be helpful for a lot of things.
If your error doesn't appear there, please post here or on that thread, and someone will help you out as soon as possible.
There are a couple things you can try if you come across and unknown error:
- Make sure the JRE is in your system's PATH before JDK (if you have JDK). Restart Simba/SMART.
- Close Simba/SMART and delete all Jagex related files on your system. Try again.
Where to find quick help
There are several ways to get help at SRL. Most of the members here are more than happy to give a helping hand to newcomers. Here are the best ways to get help:
- Probably the easiest and fastest way to get help is to join SRL's IRC Channel on irc.rizon.net (#srl), or click here.
- Post on this thread, and someone will reply as soon as possible.
- Visit the Botting Help and Guides section of the forums.
I hope this helped you and was clear enough to understand. If you have any comments/problems/suggestions, please post.