Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40

Thread: Dual Wielding for Mage,range,melee

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Default Dual Wielding for Mage,range,melee

    NEWS: There will be an "offhand" version of weapons, for example the "offhand rapier" that will only do 50% of damage compared to it's original. Been confirmed via numerous runescape threads.

    Here is the offcial quote from the "dual wielding" tab from the combat system section:
    Naturally, this will give you a lot of choice, and you'll be able to spend plenty of time tweaking your favourite armour and weapon setups. While each setup will feel different and have its own advantages, we're keeping the core damage formula balanced. As a general reference, wielding a two-handed weapon will deal 150% damage compared to an equivalent one-handed main-hand item; an off-hand weapon will do 50%; and claws in either hand will do 75% each.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=t95NWZ9CsTc#!

    The new reveal today was dual wielding.

    I was pretty excited because I have always wanted it, and I can't wait to use like two rapiers. Even cooler, was the dual crossbow wielding, and the dual magic wielding. Will they let us wield two rapiers, or two chaotic crossbows? Or will this ability be limited to rune crossbows, and make chaotics outdated and a waste?

    but then... I got pissed.

    "staves are now two handed, and can't be used with any shield"

    So.. is my chaotic staff worthless, or is my arcane that I just bought worthless?
    Is the dragon defender going to be an outdated thing of the past?

    What are your thoughts !

    edit: there has been some confusion about dual wielding, and about how the video states you can't dual wield whip. This is why:

    The reason they don't allow the dual wielding of the whip is because of the way you swing it around and USE IT LIKE A REAL WHIP. They said nothing about the damage output, the said the technical way, it's just too hard to have the ANIMATION of two whips working together at once.

    They do have dual dragon scimitars, so they will probably have dual rapiers since they are just two little swords. BUT they may decide that is too much damage, and not let any chaotics dual wield together, but that is still not the case in the dual whip wielding.

    They even say "this is the excalibur, it is used as the offhand version of the whip and has had it's special removed, AND IT HAS THE SAME POWER AS THE WHIP, unforunately we couldn't give you two whips because of the technical limitations of the animation of the whip". Just can't graphically make it happen, but still the power of dual wielding two whips..
    Last edited by Luke L; 06-24-2012 at 01:41 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,524
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    207 Post(s)

    Default

    Well nothing is worthless until September when they bring it out. There will be no point in having an arcane spirit shield I think.. You could use it with a whip though for hybriding or something but yeah. Not sure what to think of it, obviously it looks cool but it is so much different than old school RuneScape.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    884
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    That looks SICK!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nj
    Posts
    2,344
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

    Default

    OMFG OMFG, 2 Rapiers ftw!

    For the basics of the basics of pascal, try my TuT. ||Photoshop Editing ||MapleResourceDung Script || My Weekly Reviewer

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J J View Post
    Well nothing is worthless until September when they bring it out. There will be no point in having an arcane spirit shield I think.. You could use it with a whip though for hybriding or something but yeah. Not sure what to think of it, obviously it looks cool but it is so much different than old school RuneScape.
    Well that's not entirely true. People don't wait until the update actually comes out to decide what to do with their items / money - the price starts dropping right away. Arcane dropped 1.4M today, and I assume it will keep dropping.

    But I suppose it could be used, but as of right now I highly doubt it :/. And yeah it does look cool with the dual wielding.. but your right - it's just not Runescape anymore :/

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyGupta View Post
    OMFG OMFG, 2 Rapiers ftw!
    I thought so too... but it seems too overpowerd / too good to be true. I think they won't allow chaotics or something.

    edit: also, range's new dual wielding attack, gun slinging? It's a one hit kill unless the character moves? Is this going to be the new instant kill rushing..? We shall see
    Last edited by Luke L; 06-22-2012 at 02:47 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    685
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke L View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=t95NWZ9CsTc#!

    The new reveal today was dual wielding.

    I was pretty excited because I have always wanted it, and I can't wait to use like two rapiers. Even cooler, was the dual crossbow wielding, and the dual magic wielding. Will they let us wield two rapiers, or two chaotic crossbows? Or will this ability be limited to rune crossbows, and make chaotics outdated and a waste?

    but then... I got pissed.

    "staves are now two handed, and can't be used with any shield"

    So.. is my chaotic staff worthless, or is my arcane that I just bought worthless?
    Is the dragon defender going to be an outdated thing of the past?

    What are your thoughts !
    Well I guess that magic related off-hands has to be remade or it wouldnt make any sense

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirenia View Post
    Well I guess that magic related off-hands has to be remade or it wouldnt make any sense
    Nope, they'll just be worthless.

    What they are trying to do is give people "options". as in "do you want to wear a rapier and a divine, or wear two rapiers? Defensive or offensive?"

    "do you want to wear a chaotic staff for slower higher hits, or a masters wand and arcane spirit shield? Offensive, or defensive?"

    But everyone knows, that most everyone always goes with offensive, and the most damage dealing capbilities.. so shields of all kinds will mostly drop like crazy.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,234
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Default

    Whip and crossbow is a great idea for dual wielding. This new combat update requires much more player involvement and will make training melee/range much more interesting.

    After seeing this I think the whole update is less of a step in the wrong direction (still very much a step in the WoW direction) but it will certainly take some getting used to for us longer-serving players.

    All-in-all I think everyone (including myself) has judged this a bit harshly and thrown it in the money-grabbing/glitchy bag with many of Jagex's other recent updates, but it will really be left up until it is beta tested before we can make any real speculation as to it's combined worth. Each individual update will most probably compliment/counter the others to form a more exciting and more balanced bit of gameplay. So whilst you may dislike some updates to the combat system (new combat lvl calculation) you might be ecstatic about others (duel wielding). Only time will tell whether their end result will be an improvement, but after watching this video it's clear some serious time and effort is going into this and it could prove to be a big step forward for the game.

    tl;dr - Wait until the update is released in it's full before bashing it and saying you're going to quit.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,347
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    198 Post(s)

    Default

    ruined this game...

    btw whips can only be used in conjunction with another weapon not another whip.
    Woodcutting Script: Benny's Teak Pro [Working]
    Need RS membership, cheap and fast? Look no further than here!
    Want to Donate to SRL but don't have the PP funds? Send me a PM or go to the link above if you wish to donate via RSGP.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    Posts
    666
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyGupta View Post
    OMFG OMFG, 2 Rapiers ftw!
    Sadly no, dmg output would be to great, as stated by them, 2 whips will even be a no no.
    Last known as Jonno.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonno View Post
    Sadly no, dmg output would be to great, as stated by them, 2 whips will even be a no no.
    no no no, you guys aren't understanding..

    The reason they don't allow the dual wielding of the whip is because of the way you swing it around and USE IT LIKE A REAL WHIP. They said nothing about the damage output, the said the technical way, it's just too hard to have the ANIMATION of two whips working together at once.

    They do have dual dragon scimitars, so they will probably have dual rapiers since they are just two little swords. BUT they may decide that is too much damage, and not let any chaotics dual wield together, but that is still not the case in the dual whip wielding.

    edit: they even say "this is the excalibur, it is used as the offhand version of the whip and has had it's special removed, AND IT HAS THE SAME POWER AS THE WHIP, unforunately we couldn't give you two whips because of the technical limitations of the animation of the whip".

    They just can't graphically make it happen, but still the power of dual wielding two whips..
    Last edited by Luke L; 06-22-2012 at 03:30 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    356
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonno View Post
    Sadly no, dmg output would be to great, as stated by them, 2 whips will even be a no no.
    Armour is getting changed so it also contributes LP and Damage soaking. I imagine the duel wielding stuff would go hand in hand with this because players are going to be immensely more powerful with the new LP boosting gear.
    Currently: Very busy
    Future Goals: finish nursing school, RS later.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    148
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -Benny View Post
    ruined this game...
    How is it ruining the game? Sure the current combat system works, but at the same time it's garbage an has no competition with other current mmo's, this will be a game changer for the better.

    But yeah, looks pretty sweet, really looking forward to this update.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in, PA
    Posts
    1,812
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    226 Post(s)

    Default

    To me this update looks great and i personally can't wait for it. The only thing I can think of for them to change atm is the combat level formula. I think that prayer, summoning, and hp should be included along with the formula to make it more complex and harder to achieve max. Having only 2 99's for max lvl after update just seems a little bit too.... effortless.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JN13 View Post
    Armour is getting changed so it also contributes LP and Damage soaking. I imagine the duel wielding stuff would go hand in hand with this because players are going to be immensely more powerful with the new LP boosting gear.
    I agree that dual wielding is the offensive response to the life boosting gear like torva that's came out, but is there suppost to be new Lp boosting gear? If so, please link to your source

    Quote Originally Posted by Hadley View Post
    How is it ruining the game? Sure the current combat system works, but at the same time it's garbage an has no competition with other current mmo's, this will be a game changer for the better.

    But yeah, looks pretty sweet, really looking forward to this update.
    I personally think this will be a cool update- but I can see where he is coming from. You say it "has no competition with other current mmo's", but is that really the point? To become like every other MMO out there?

    I don't think so - I like runescape for runescape, and it's originality. If I wanted wow, I'd play wow - i'm sad that runescape is evolving into it.

    Quote Originally Posted by AustnW View Post
    To me this update looks great and i personally can't wait for it. The only thing I can think of for them to change atm is the combat level formula. I think that prayer, summoning, and hp should be included along with the formula to make it more complex and harder to achieve max. Having only 2 99's for max lvl after update just seems a little bit too.... effortless.
    I couldn't agree more. Literally I feel like the new combat formula is a joke! How can someone with 99 def and 99 mage, with allll other skills 1, be the same level as someone with 99 att, str, def, mage, range, hp, prayer, summoning, etc.!??! It makes noooo sense what so ever, Idk where the hell they got the thought.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    356
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke L View Post
    I agree that dual wielding is the offensive response to the life boosting gear like torva that's came out, but is there suppost to be new Lp boosting gear? If so, please link to your source
    Taken from the Skill, variety, and fun OG blog on the combat page:
    Making Combat More Fun

    We are doing several things to add more OMG moments to combat. The new ultimate abilities are - frankly – awesome, and everyone in the office is amazed by what the graphics team have achieved. It’s been a pleasure to see these ideas come to life: huge tidal waves cascading from the mage; explosions blasting your opponent from afar; massive aerial bombardments from the ranger; a rain of arrows pinning your target to the ground; cleaving blows from the warrior, so big that they rupture the very ground around you; or calling great destructive meteors from the sky. There’s a real plethora of choice, too, with over 20 abilities to pick from within each combat method. We are also adding critical hits to combat, to add a new dimension to damage with crit-hit splats. Overall, your rate of damage will be massively increased.

    Of course, it’s not all about how hard you can hit things. Maximum life points will be raised by the armour you’re wearing, so life points will effectively increase by over 15 times of previous amounts for defensively geared players, with a 10 times increase for those equipped with offense in mind. Currently, a common source of disappointment is being killed very quickly in PvP with little chance to react. With larger life pool, players will be encouraged to think tactically rather than relying on lucky, big hits.
    ALL armour will have an LP boost. <- at least for now. (they think maybe)
    Currently: Very busy
    Future Goals: finish nursing school, RS later.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Dual wielding crossbows doesn't even make sense...

    Also, I don't find any reason to get excited as the system they will be used in is nothing like the current system. They aren't going to throw away all the offhands and dual wield will be adjusted to keep it from being overpowered (at least too overpowered).

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Canada, Bc
    Posts
    1,599
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)

    Default

    Better get 99 slayer before this crap comes out. If it comes out sept, then at least I have sometime before its ruined. Do not plan on using melee. Close to 99 slayer anyway.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia, Vic
    Posts
    1,484
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

    Default



    I don't want to play wow -_-
    Vid Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...otation_754263

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    1,145
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Default

    I'll be rocking Rapier + Enhanced Excal (Elite) if it's at all possible.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hill Top Zone
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post


    I don't want to play wow -_-
    It's okay, you don't have to PK. I'll bet Narcle's gonna undermine the new combat system soon.

    FastFighter Forever!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post

    I don't want to play wow -_-
    Vid Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...otation_754263
    Precisely what I'm saying -.- ... some of these updates are cool, but the ones that are IDENTICAL towards WOW... action bar.. and supposedly soon to come mounts?

    Sucks

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    West Philadelphia, born and raised
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Default

    This sounds like a great update, don't get me wrong... but this just won't be RS anymore. The game itself definitely won't die, but the classical idea of Runescape will with this update.

    Anyways, I hope to god they don't make dual wielding a straight-up-double-DPS mechanic. I would think do something like for the right hand 100% of normal accuracy and 80% of normal power, and for the left hand 70% of normal accuracy and 45% of normal power. Let's be honest, we righties can't punch, throw, swing, ect. as hard or as accurately with our left hands (equal and opposite for lefties). I also expect a hasta-style defense penalty on the off-hand.

    EDIT: Also, if they add mounts to the game I will quit with no questions asked. With lodestone and spell teleports it's unnecessary, not to mention out-of-place and just plain stupid.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tlachtli View Post
    This sounds like a great update, don't get me wrong... but this just won't be RS anymore. The game itself definitely won't die, but the classical idea of Runescape will with this update.

    Anyways, I hope to god they don't make dual wielding a straight-up-double-DPS mechanic. I would think do something like for the right hand 100% of normal accuracy and 80% of normal power, and for the left hand 70% of normal accuracy and 45% of normal power. Let's be honest, we righties can't punch, throw, swing, ect. as hard or as accurately with our left hands (equal and opposite for lefties). I also expect a hasta-style defense penalty on the off-hand.

    EDIT: Also, if they add mounts to the game I will quit with no questions asked. With lodestone and spell teleports it's unnecessary, not to mention out-of-place and just plain stupid.
    The part on mounts you said is spot on. It was just so retarded, I couldn't even explain how so - but you did haha.

    and on the dual wielding, sadly I do think it will be double DPS. BUT with that being said, I think that's because they want to show how good defense is going to be - they are making ALL armor add to life points, and so by dual wielding you'll be giving up a shield, which will become MUCH more important. You will be able to deal some major damage, but against other players that are defensively equipped it won't be as overpowered as you might think.

    At least it'll hopefully make training on monsters faster .

    We shall see!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    hope the update is good tbh at least make rs interesting for a few months

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •