PDA

View Full Version : Human anatomy study

Lord Waffles
04-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Currently been working on learning more of the human anatomy.

I'm a 3D modeler and me and a good buddy of mine are working on a video game and it's about time I finally made and animated our own character (been using one we purchased online for testing).

Not sure if anyone on this forum knows much about anatomy, but I would love any feedback!

Here is the first sculpting pass.

http://hawksprite.info/public/BodySculpt.PNG

Kevin
04-18-2013, 03:56 PM
That looks impressively good, actually! (then again I have never studied human anatomy, but my roommate is getting a master's in prosthetics so I imagine he could offer some suggestions if I sent him the link?) I hope this project works out well for you guys!

What framework are you guys working on the game in?

Ian
04-18-2013, 04:14 PM
Yep, looks human! :D

It's actually surprising how many muscles humans have, never thought about that before.

[XoL]
04-18-2013, 06:10 PM
Looks good, a little unproportional but good regardless.

l6bustank
04-18-2013, 06:15 PM
1. Vastus medialis and vastus lateralis of the quadriceps muscle are too big from their distal halfs.
2. M. biceps femoris (or is it m. semimembranosus that you have had in mind?) - on the back of the thigh - is too "puffed" in lower part, bear in mind that its lower end is the slimmer one.
3. M. latissimus dorsi ends too soon and is too large. Bear in mind that it also attaches to lumbal and sacral vertebrae
4. The upper part of m. rectus abdominis is a lot more triangular. Follow the principle that it attaches to the 2 archs formed by ribs.
5. M. gastrocnemius is too big, the part of the foot that is lower from the knee is slimmer.

Those were the things that I noticed right away. If you need to make it look better then use this for example: http://www.anatomyexpert.com/ When drawing contours and planning movements, take into account the places on the skeleton where different muscles attach.

btw, it looks fine all-in-all :D
hope I helped

Lord Waffles
04-19-2013, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

That looks impressively good, actually! (then again I have never studied human anatomy, but my roommate is getting a master's in prosthetics so I imagine he could offer some suggestions if I sent him the link?) I hope this project works out well for you guys!

What framework are you guys working on the game in?
We are currently using Unity 4 to program the game with (uses whats called 'Action Script' I believe which is based off C#). All the code is basically our own, and after much debate on which engine to go with we landed on Unity. The community has a lot of assets which could save us time such as pre-coded shaders and optimization 'stuff'. That and the cost of producing a game in Unity is far less than that of Unreal or Crytech. The animation engine in Unity 4 is pretty impressive and with the new Unity 4 I feel it's an engine that can actually compete now with the industry standarded ones such as Unreal.

1. Vastus medialis and vastus lateralis of the quadriceps muscle are too big from their distal halfs.
2. M. biceps femoris (or is it m. semimembranosus that you have had in mind?) - on the back of the thigh - is too "puffed" in lower part, bear in mind that its lower end is the slimmer one.
3. M. latissimus dorsi ends too soon and is too large. Bear in mind that it also attaches to lumbal and sacral vertebrae
4. The upper part of m. rectus abdominis is a lot more triangular. Follow the principle that it attaches to the 2 archs formed by ribs.
5. M. gastrocnemius is too big, the part of the foot that is lower from the knee is slimmer.

Those were the things that I noticed right away. If you need to make it look better then use this for example: http://www.anatomyexpert.com/ When drawing contours and planning movements, take into account the places on the skeleton where different muscles attach.

btw, it looks fine all-in-all :D
hope I helped
Actually helped a lot, i'm struggling with getting the legs to look right and will be refining them based on your tips!

I always deemed myself a character artist, because anatomy is some scary shi...

Neznam
04-20-2013, 08:25 AM
If only 2 people are working on this game, then it's going to take forever to make. Esp if you are just beginners at it.

I don't know on what scale you are making this game, if its going to be some major project or something simple but maybe it would be worth to pitch the idea to some big company and if its accepted could see your game actually come to light.

masterBB
04-20-2013, 08:41 AM
[B][COLOR="#800080"]We are currently using Unity 4 to program the game with (uses whats called 'Action Script' I believe which is based off C#).

Wow, for some reason no one ever picks that language even though it is very powerful. It was my second language and if for sure my best one. I consider myself at professional level with as3.0. I know both about the op codes as well as the language.

e:
But I think you mean unity script, which is pretty similar.

Aph0tix
04-20-2013, 08:44 AM
I wish my body looked like this!

chuffmane
05-02-2013, 07:15 AM
Looks great! His latissimius dorsi seems to be disproportionate to his external obliques though. Basically his lower back needs a little more bulk haha. You got it down though, man.

t4q
05-02-2013, 11:11 AM
very nice model..
BTW this guy looks superstrong :)

happy hippo
05-02-2013, 12:27 PM
This Guy Looks Like a tank, although the shoulder muscles are a bit over bulged if you ask me, as are the calf muscles But its a great model all in all.