PDA

View Full Version : old desktop help

chief herb
05-04-2013, 06:54 PM
i have a dell vista home premium that is horribly slow, meaning startup, just all around slow. i can open a program then after a little it will go to not responding and it just annoys me to use my moms laptop. if someone could help me get it running like when i got it or knows good tutorials link me too them pleaaase:)

im not the most computer savy but i know enough:duh:

and dont say :google: because i have been for the last hour or so and i figured id ask you guys!!

StickToTheScript
05-04-2013, 08:45 PM
I had vista on one of my PCs and then i bought windows 8. Made my experience 5 million times better. And there is almost no lagg!

Sjoe
05-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Yeah I had a really slow, old laptop too which ran vista. I switched over to Windows xp since that barely uses resources, much better :)

heron_
05-05-2013, 01:15 AM
You should definitely do a re-install. Either upgrade to W7 or do what I would personally do and install some Linux distro with a lightweight DE (or even none!) on it.

chief herb
05-05-2013, 01:28 AM
how much would it cost to upgrade it?

any free options;0

Chris!
05-05-2013, 03:29 AM
Linux.

Windows XP is fairly cheap and runs better on old machines than vista.

Ian
05-05-2013, 03:34 AM
If you're going Linux, I have had both Ubuntu and Xubuntu, Xubuntu being the lightweight cousin of Ubuntu :)

They are both pretty user friendly and you can even get Simba working with Wine and some trial & error :)

heron_
05-05-2013, 07:52 AM
If you're going Linux, I have had both Ubuntu and Xubuntu, Xubuntu being the lightweight cousin of Ubuntu :)

They are both pretty user friendly and you can even get Simba working with Wine and some trial & error :)

Light weight? Try Arch or Debian (preferably with dwm.)

I once actually tried running Simba, and at that time I was using Mint. To make a long story short, the end result was appalling.

denart5
05-14-2013, 08:03 AM
Just reformat your hard drive, all the crap will be gone