PDA

View Full Version : BBM coming to iPhone/Android!

Sin
05-17-2013, 12:41 AM
Blackberry said it would initially offer texts, photo messages and group sharing functions on devices running Google's Android and Apple's iOS operating systems from "the summer".

It added it planned to roll out screen sharing, voice and video calls - all without charge - later in the year.

The move could prove disruptive to Skype, Whatsapp and other rivals.

Blackberry chief executive Thorsten Heins revealed the surprise news at the end of his presentation at the firm's annual developers conference in Orlando, Florida.

The company said that more than 60 million Blackberry owners already used BBM at least once a month.

But Mr Heins played down the idea that offering the feature to rival devices would harm sales of the Canadian company's own handsets.

"You might ask the question why is Blackberry doing this now," said Mr Heins.

Continue reading the main story
What does BBM offer?

Blackberry Messenger began life as a simple instant messaging tool offering owners of the firm's handsets a free alternative to SMS texts.

Over the years the company has added functions including sending pictures, audio messages and other files as well as making voice and video calls, all over the internet.

In addition it offers a Groups facility which allows users to share photos, lists and calendar appointments with trusted contacts.

The latest addition is Channels - a feature allowing brands and celebrities to send news and status updates to users who want to follow them through the app.

Blackberry has a chance to leapfrog existing cross-platform rivals by bringing all these facilities to Android and iOS users.

However, with reports that Whatsapp could shortly add voice calls and that Google has been working on its own unified messaging service, Blackberry may find competition in the market is about to intensify.

"It's a statement of confidence. The Blackberry 10 platform is so strong and the response has been so good that we are confident the time is right for Blackberry Messenger to become an independent multiplatform messaging solution."

He added that for the app to work iPhone users would need at least iOS 6 and Android users the Ice Cream Sandwich version of Google's software. There was no mention of Windows Phone.

Wider impact
One analyst said it was too soon to know if the move would force competitors to change their own strategies.

"BBM has been a significant traffic driver for Blackberry - particularly the consumer audience," said Chris Green, principal technology analyst at Davies Murphy Group Europe.

"Expanding it to be multiplatform not only widens the consumer appeal but also may help woo back corporate customers it lost due to earlier technical problems.

"However, other players like Whatsapp will only drop their fees if they see BBM making major inroads into other platforms."

Blackberry's boss said he was excited to be able to invite more people to join the BBM service
Ben Wood from telecoms consultancy CCS Insight added that Blackberry might have felt forced into the move because of the growing popularity of cross-platform alternatives which also includes Facebook Messenger.

"It will increase feature competition among mobile messaging platforms," he said.

"It dramatically increases BBM's long-term relevance - but it is unclear how Blackberry will ensure the move benefits its own hardware sales."

Cheaper phone
Blackberry also announced a new smartphone powered by its BB10 system - the first to be targeted at emerging markets.

The Q5 features a physical Qwerty keyboard and a 3.1in (7.9cm) touchscreen.

The Blackberry 10 device will be released in parts of Europe, Asia, Africa and Latin America in July.

It should be cheaper than the Z10 and Q10 which were unveiled in January.

However, the firm has yet to confirm pricing.

"We understand the importance of having devices to suit all markets and needs," said Mr Heins. "It's a sleek, slim high-performance device."

One company watcher said it was important for Blackberry to have a device running BB10 on sale in parts of the world where its handsets were still bestsellers.

"The Q5 could be a very significant device for the company because there is a significant opportunity for high-quality low-cost smartphones," said Adam Leach, devices analyst at telecoms consultancy Ovum.

The Q5 is being offered in red and pink colours as well as black and white options
"If Blackberry can replicate the success of the Blackberry Curve in emerging markets then it will certainly help establish the Blackberry 10 platform.

"However, Blackberry has significant competition in this area with low-cost Android devices and with Nokia's Asha 501 which sells for just under $100 [£65]. It will be crucial to see if Blackberry can match or undercut that."

Ovum predicts that emerging markets will account for 40% of smartphone shipments by 2017.

According to data from IDC - another tech consultancy - Blackberry devices accounted for just over 19% of global smartphone shipments at the start of 2010. But the firm suggests that figure had dropped to less than 4% by the end of last year.

Blackberry has yet to release sales figures for its first BB10 devices.
Excited tbh :D

Flight
05-17-2013, 01:36 AM
I only read through the first part and that was enough for me. This is big news for Indonesia; Blackberry is the dominate phone here simply because of the messenger. Blackberry thrives in this country because they know they can take advantage of the people who don't have much knowledge about Android. So if Android phones are able to use BBM here then Blackberry sales are going to skydive, to say the least.

I'm excited as well, I'd love to have the messenger on my Android phone. You have no idea how many people I've met that have asked for my blackberry PIN, yet I don't have a BB phone. I'm really looking forward to this.

t4q
05-17-2013, 07:05 AM
Doesn't we already have various apps for that?
Here is most populat app called viber

Sin
05-17-2013, 11:31 AM
I only read through the first part and that was enough for me. This is big news for Indonesia; Blackberry is the dominate phone here simply because of the messenger. Blackberry thrives in this country because they know they can take advantage of the people who don't have much knowledge about Android. So if Android phones are able to use BBM here then Blackberry sales are going to skydive, to say the least.

I'm excited as well, I'd love to have the messenger on my Android phone. You have no idea how many people I've met that have asked for my blackberry PIN, yet I don't have a BB phone. I'm really looking forward to this.
Definetely, though i'm not sure why RIM took a decision such as this one...

Doesn't we already have various apps for that?
Here is most populat app called viber

BBM is in a class of its own >=)

Flight
05-17-2013, 11:56 AM
Definetely, though i'm not sure why RIM took a decision such as this one...

I talked to a buddy here and he said that they're doing this because they're very confident of their upcoming Blackberry OS or phone, I dunno which. Now admittedly I might not know much about Blackberry phones as I've never had one and I don't keep up with them, but of all the BB phones I've tried from friends I was thoroughly disappointed... I have a lots of doubt about their newest OS or phones but as long as they're confident of their work, enough to release their key feature to other types of phones, I'm happy.

BBM is in a class of its own >=)

I heard it's nice because there's dedicated servers (or something along those lines) specifically for BB connections. They're supposedly quite fast and quite secure. Although it's strange to me personally as the majority of users us this "dedicated service" just to send texts back and forth, so is it really that important? Kinda like buying some super-gaming Alienware computer to play Solitaire.