PDA

View Full Version : Old school dying?

rj
06-01-2013, 11:45 PM
I have noticed that less and less people are on every week I didn't expect oldschool to die this fast (hasn't died yet but it's getting there)

EngageTheRage
06-01-2013, 11:51 PM
:( i hope not, i quite like it. i dont understand eoc as i have never played it, i stoped rs after the massive bot bust a few years ago. also kinda makes the time and effort into OSR scripts pointless :/

but i think it wont get too much lower, the initially hype has faded and i would hope/expect a slightly more constant number from now on ... hopefully

rj
06-01-2013, 11:52 PM
:( i hope not, i quite like it. i dont understand eoc as i have never played it, i stoped rs after the massive bot bust a few years ago. also kinda makes the time and effort into OSR scripts pointless :/

but i think it wont get too much lower, the initially hype has faded and i would hope/expect a slightly more constant number from now on ... hopefully

I'm guessing people will get bored eventually though

acow
06-01-2013, 11:55 PM
I'd quit too if I had to play legit.

I'd just play p servers till bored

EngageTheRage
06-01-2013, 11:55 PM
yeahhh there is that ... i have actually been thinking this recently, the time i am botting on OSR could be going towards maxing my eoc account :/ and im pretty sure i have heard there are no randoms on eoc anymore? so botting must be great!

rj
06-01-2013, 11:58 PM
yeahhh there is that ... i have actually been thinking this recently, the time i am botting on OSR could be going towards maxing my eoc account :/ and im pretty sure i have heard there are no randoms on eoc anymore? so botting must be great!

I love scripting for Eoc so much more, longer profiles, more reliable walking methods, OpenGL

EngageTheRage
06-01-2013, 11:59 PM
yeah i think i might switch once im done with my fighter, but i really feel i should use it a lot to make it worth the time i put in :p aha

Ian
06-02-2013, 12:38 AM
I love scripting for Eoc so much more, longer profiles, more reliable walking methods, OpenGL

Yeah, it's a great to have a script's runtime depend on the script and not whether the account got a certain random :)

I haven't started fiddling with OGL yet but I'm looking forward to it.

rj
06-02-2013, 12:40 AM
Yeah, it's a great to have a script's runtime depend on the script and not whether the account got a certain random :)

I haven't started fiddling with OGL yet but I'm looking forward to it.

It's sort of like injection that does not need to be updated..:) object and item wise :p

Ian
06-02-2013, 12:45 AM
It's sort of like injection that does not need to be updated..:) object and item wise :p

From what I understand it reads the number of triangles in an object or something like that while the info is on the way to/from the grapics card, and each object has a different number of triangles. So I guess it would only need updating if Jagex changes the models.

rj
06-02-2013, 12:46 AM
From what I understand it reads the number of triangles in an object or something like that while the info is on the way to/from the grapics card, and each object has a different number of triangles. So I guess it would only need updating if Jagex changes the models.

Yea but scripter end updates which means now waiting for devs to update hooks

Flight
06-02-2013, 01:59 AM

It's closer to reflection than anything. We aren't modifying anything, the only thing we can claim as injection here is the modified OpenGL32 plugin that's loaded, and AFAIK the majority of the modifications to this is on-screen printing.

Triangle count is one of the variables assigned to the MS models, yes. You can also find them by area position and their static ID.

rj
06-02-2013, 02:10 AM
It's closer to reflection than anything. We aren't modifying anything, the only thing we can claim as injection here is the modified OpenGL32 plugin that's loaded, and AFAIK the majority of the modifications to this is on-screen printing.

Triangle count is one of the variables assigned to the MS models, yes. You can also find them by area position and their static ID.

Ahh well I meant item I'd wise.

samerdl
06-02-2013, 02:21 AM
yeah its kinda been dying, not many people actuallu wanna re-train their accounts all over from the start.

there isnt new players coming into the game either due to lack of advertisement, i hate eoc so if the clan i am in closes then i'll just quit rs, not gona bother playing eoc or rs3 (i would if they remove the crap cmb system).

either way 07 wont die out fully, i mean there are 300-500 people that still play rs classic today, eventually it will become 2 or 3 servers and it will stay open till jagex folds.

sent from iphone

rj
06-02-2013, 02:23 AM
yeah its kinda been dying, not many people actuallu wanna re-train their accounts all over from the start.

there isnt new players coming into the game either due to lack of advertisement, i hate eoc so if the clan i am in closes then i'll just quit rs, not gona bother playing eoc or rs3 (i would if they remove the crap cmb system).

either way 07 wont die out fully, i mean there are 300-500 people that still play rs classic today, eventually it will become 2 or 3 servers and it will stay open till jagex folds.

sent from iphone

Usually only like 30 people logged on to classic at one the just for the old time feeling I don't think they actually play. Lowest I saw was 12 people on it lol

Ian
06-02-2013, 02:52 AM
Well as the people who played in the 07 era start to move on from runescape, they aren't replaced at the same rate because people just starting wouldn't have any of the nostalgic draw to it. I don't think it will die, I just predict the interest in it going down over the next few years.

rj
06-02-2013, 02:54 AM
Well as the people who played in the 07 era start to move on from runescape, they aren't replaced at the same rate because people just starting wouldn't have any of the nostalgic draw to it. I don't think it will die, I just predict the interest in it going down over the next few years.

Meh more like few months unless they add Gwd or something it's going to go down pretty fast

Ryutoh
06-02-2013, 07:47 AM
First off, the hype from the first couple months has died out and I imagine a lot of people didn't want to pay after the first month membership of $2 and either just simply lost interest in general. Furthermore, there's also a lot more competition with MMORPGs and console games these days than 6 years ago. Back in those days the two big PC games most people played were either WoW, RS, or even both, but nowadays that's a lot different. One of the reasons is with console games exploding in the past few years.

I've already lost two of my friends that ended their membership recently (from boredom). Second, Runescape is a dying game. The whole concept is old and they can only milk it for so long. It's only a matter of time.

P1nky
06-02-2013, 08:57 AM
Get rid of the outrageous membership prices... Add Free to play... Advertise it... That'll keep it alive. Although yes of course most of the newbies to RS (who didn't experience Old school RS) didn't enjoy it or just though EOC was more worth it. But I like 07, pking is awesome..Clans are awesome...Just wish more botting was being done so prices would be stabled.

Thief
06-02-2013, 09:14 AM
Yeah it'll probably just end up like classic, unless they can come out with new content to keep those old timers interested.

To be honest, I only logged into '07 once, and when I saw I had to remake my character from scratch, I logged straight back out.

For me, the glorious days were '03 to '05, but it was more my friends and clan that makes those memories good.

happy hippo
06-02-2013, 09:22 AM
First off, the hype from the first couple months has died out and I imagine a lot of people didn't want to pay after the first month membership of $2 and either just simply lost interest in general. Furthermore, there's also a lot more competition with MMORPGs and console games these days than 6 years ago. Back in those days the two big PC games most people played were either WoW, RS, or even both, but nowadays that's a lot different. One of the reasons is with console games exploding in the past few years.

I've already lost two of my friends that ended their membership recently (from boredom). Second, Runescape is a dying game. The whole concept is old and they can only milk it for so long. It's only a matter of time.
ive never played Classic and i never will,Although You're right in saying consoles are the main reason why rs is dieing and other MMORPG'S

Flight
06-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Get rid of the outrageous membership prices... Add Free to play... Advertise it... That'll keep it alive. Although yes of course most of the newbies to RS (who didn't experience Old school RS) didn't enjoy it or just though EOC was more worth it. But I like 07, pking is awesome..Clans are awesome...Just wish more botting was being done so prices would be stabled.

Yeah this is true, if you've been playing RS through those old days and beyond then there's a certain appreciation for the old-style RS game that is held.

Shatterhand
06-02-2013, 11:17 AM
There is no advertisement. The oldschool site link is so hidden on the main site. Even if someone finds it, they wont pay 7.5$ to try it out. It needs a trial part. But if jagex adds f2p into 07, it would probably get more busy than eoc f2p worlds, which would be a huge fail to them.

Jagex wants the new people to go to eoc.

kocke
06-02-2013, 11:30 AM
There is no advertisement. The oldschool site link is so hidden on the main site. Even if someone finds it, they wont pay 7.5$ to try it out. It needs a trial part. But if jagex adds f2p into 07, it would probably get more busy than eoc f2p worlds, which would be a huge fail to them.

True people who did not play back in 07 are not really willing to spend money to try it out, ofc jagex want new people to go to eoc, where they got loads of pay 2 win/get exp stuff.

But I think that 07 will become bigger when the school semester is over, as a lot of people who played back in 07 are still in school and got finals to do.

Hunaja
06-02-2013, 05:08 PM

The real price of membership is lower than ever and there's advertisement (at least on youtube), only f2p is missing

Itankbots
06-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Hype has been over for a while.

Over the last 2 weeks there has been mass bannings on 07, mostly throw away accounts, once they get banned, they rnt going to make new ones.

Only "active" part of 07 is the people botting it. And people going for #1 (http://villavu.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) for whatever reason

Shatterhand
06-02-2013, 05:34 PM
The real price of membership is lower than ever and there's advertisement (at least on youtube), only f2p is missing
Price being low? How?

You pay the same to play 07 than to play on eoc.

The service sucks. Servers are laggy and buggy. There is like zero development team, bug fixing takes ages! The site (if you can call that a site, it contains only redirect links) is shitty.

There is no advertisement, fans making rs videos are not ads!

Jagex literally makes money of this by connecting the two games together (same account and shits). It is unlogical because you cant play the two games the same time, and I bet not many people do it. To maintain the 80 world servers and a 5-man-development-team does not need 7$ per month.

Itankbots
06-02-2013, 06:29 PM
Price being low? How?

You pay the same to play 07 than to play on eoc.

The service sucks. Servers are laggy and buggy. There is like zero development team, bug fixing takes ages! The site (if you can call that a site, it contains only redirect links) is shitty.

There is no advertisement, fans making rs videos are not ads!

Jagex literally makes money of this by connecting the two games together (same account and shits). It is unlogical because you cant play the two games the same time, and I bet not many people do it. To maintain the 80 world servers and a 5-man-development-team does not need 7$ per month.

You realize that there isn't meant to be any development? Its an 07 server, its the way it is. Bugs and all, thats how it was in 07, thats how its staying.

They don't need a website for it. its not mean't to be a game in its own. its mean't to be a different server of runescape, much like WOW or any other big MMO's have different gameplay servers.

Why would they advertise something that is 6 years old? Everything about it is 6 years old, what would make a new player say, DAMN THAT GAME LOOKS AMAZING. Not the graphics, not the game play, not the bugs, not anything, its pure nostalgia. Thats the only reason jagex put out the servers, to keep current players from leaving and giving them something to play.

Also, since when has jagex EVER advertised? I know they don't in the United states. I see WOW commercials all the time, other MMO's. Ive never seen a runescape one, they have said there-self, they don't do mass marketing.

You're pay for runescape Membership, With that comes the ability to play EITHER EOC(the main game, which is always under development) 07 Servers, or classic servers.

As for the laggy servers, yes they are, I believe its due to the fact they added the load of 80 some worlds for 07 to the already vast EOC servers. Making it much more laggy and server dcing. Thats what people wanted tho. they wanted 07 back.

As for the $7 Membership, Like really? saying that is expensive... You can't even buy TWO gallons of gas for $7. Buying a new video game is ~$60, thats 9 months of rs membership, Not many games have enough content to keep you into it for more then 9 months, and if they do, its most likely cause you're paying for online services or bonus packs.

Overall, its a great deal. And if you don't enjoy the game. Don't play it. Its crazy how much people will complain about something. No matter how much jagex changes the game, or listens to people. They can't make every single person happy.
Its just the fact of life. If you find yourself botting every single xp you gain. Paying people to do your quests/firecapes. Only pking or pvming and raging when jagex does an update. I would suggest you find a new game. Runescape is always changing, weather we like it or not. No day will be the same as the day before. Ive never botted a single xp on my main, and i still love the game, but that its because i take breaks, and do things i enjoy, rather then dwell on all the things i don't :P

Neznam
06-02-2013, 07:40 PM
I think their goal was to give people what they wanted but secretly hope that 07 servers die out. They knew it would happen eventually, it's just a matter of time. Lack of advertisement, the soon to be added extra payment for membership(right?), no new players as people move on, etc etc.

I think the main thing is the new people. Many new players will be sticking to EOC because they've never played 07rs. New players is the thing that keeps a game from dying.

denart5
06-02-2013, 07:56 PM
If you played rs in the past you either play 07 untill you are bored or you keep playing EOC. What will someone do who found rs today, play the updated eoc or the 6 year older version? Pretty clear. Soon only a few 07 addicts will be the only ones playing it.

rj
06-02-2013, 09:03 PM

Membership is $7 it used to be 5 how is it lower the ever

Peanuts
06-02-2013, 11:25 PM

its on homepage..
right at the top near ''play''

You realize that there isn't meant to be any development? Its an 07 server, its the way it is. Bugs and all, thats how it was in 07, thats how its staying.

They don't need a website for it. its not mean't to be a game in its own. its mean't to be a different server of runescape, much like WOW or any other big MMO's have different gameplay servers.

Why would they advertise something that is 6 years old? Everything about it is 6 years old, what would make a new player say, DAMN THAT GAME LOOKS AMAZING. Not the graphics, not the game play, not the bugs, not anything, its pure nostalgia. Thats the only reason jagex put out the servers, to keep current players from leaving and giving them something to play.

Also, since when has jagex EVER advertised? I know they don't in the United states. I see WOW commercials all the time, other MMO's. Ive never seen a runescape one, they have said there-self, they don't do mass marketing.

You're pay for runescape Membership, With that comes the ability to play EITHER EOC(the main game, which is always under development) 07 Servers, or classic servers.

As for the laggy servers, yes they are, I believe its due to the fact they added the load of 80 some worlds for 07 to the already vast EOC servers. Making it much more laggy and server dcing. Thats what people wanted tho. they wanted 07 back.

As for the $7 Membership, Like really? saying that is expensive... You can't even buy TWO gallons of gas for $7. Buying a new video game is ~$60, thats 9 months of rs membership, Not many games have enough content to keep you into it for more then 9 months, and if they do, its most likely cause you're paying for online services or bonus packs.

Overall, its a great deal. And if you don't enjoy the game. Don't play it. Its crazy how much people will complain about something. No matter how much jagex changes the game, or listens to people. They can't make every single person happy.
Its just the fact of life. If you find yourself botting every single xp you gain. Paying people to do your quests/firecapes. Only pking or pvming and raging when jagex does an update. I would suggest you find a new game. Runescape is always changing, weather we like it or not. No day will be the same as the day before. Ive never botted a single xp on my main, and i still love the game, but that its because i take breaks, and do things i enjoy, rather then dwell on all the things i don't :P

Yesssssss +++

Raiden702
06-03-2013, 07:46 AM
I find 07 pointless even though its fun. Its not the most up-to-date version so of course people won't continually play it. Just like Runescape Classic died so will 07.

Hunaja
06-03-2013, 08:10 AM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-mGxL_utCkjc/UXBk0eD6G0I/AAAAAAAAAcw/Tuzh2OAwklg/w497-h373/old%2Bschool.png

(note the general graardor lol)

Same ad was on youtube

Peanuts
06-03-2013, 08:13 AM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-mGxL_utCkjc/UXBk0eD6G0I/AAAAAAAAAcw/Tuzh2OAwklg/w497-h373/old%2Bschool.png

(note the general graardor lol)

Wow.. An actual ad for the old scohol players.. legit.

Mind.Blown.

rebeltjeh
06-05-2013, 10:51 AM
I'm still waiting for september to come thou..

When our 6 months "free" 07 end.

If they will add an additional fee for 07 they'll dig their own grave doing it.

I'm guessing that more than 1 out of 4 players will stop playing cause of this. (I will be once of those)

In europe it's already 6-7 euros per month (about 9 dollars), if they increase that I'll just go back to LoL..

Wu-Tang Clan
06-05-2013, 11:37 AM
I was there for original 07. I love EOC with all the changes. Just take the good with the bad and keep botting. I hardly even experience the updates, so why should I care if they removed the wildy and put it back if I'm superheating 12 hours a day. Ain't nobody got time for PK.

happy hippo
06-05-2013, 11:41 AM
[QUOTE=Hunaja;1245552]The real price of membership is lower than ever and there's advertisement (at least on youtube), only f2p is missing[/QUOTE
I know what your saying i never see runescape advertisements anywhere on the web, What do jagex do witrh all there money lol buy P Hats ?