PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Headsets

Hazzah
08-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Howdy SRL,

I have been recently looking for some upgrades to old outdated equipment. So, I was wondering what you all think is the best gaming headset for the price. I have been looking at Steel-series, Astro's, Razer's, ect. But they are quite expensive. My question is, can I expect to have a good headset for a few years, or should I expect to have to replace it in 6 months or a year.

Also, can anyone recommend wholesale places that might have these high end headsets cheaper? I have checked eBay but I am afraid to buy from there because every listing seems to be a fake or more expensive than what I can order them straight from the makers website.

Thanks!

Thanatos
08-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Howdy SRL,

I have been recently looking for some upgrades to old outdated equipment. So, I was wondering what you all think is the best gaming headset for the price. I have been looking at Steel-series, Astro's, Razer's, ect. But they are quite expensive. My question is, can I expect to have a good headset for a few years, or should I expect to have to replace it in 6 months or a year.

Also, can anyone recommend wholesale places that might have these high end headsets cheaper? I have checked eBay but I am afraid to buy from there because every listing seems to be a fake or more expensive than what I can order them straight from the makers website.

Thanks!

I had good luck on Amazon with Turtle Beaches. I would have preferred Astros however my Turtle Beaches have last 2 years and are still going strong. I bought the most expensive version at the time.

There is a chance that our headset won't last past six months. When I was reading reviews there were always a few that had an issue. However I believe most headsets have a 1 year warranty so you should be all set.

Hazzah
08-02-2013, 08:49 PM
I had good luck on Amazon with Turtle Beaches. I would have preferred Astros however my Turtle Beaches have last 2 years and are still going strong. I bought the most expensive version at the time.

There is a chance that our headset won't last past six months. When I was reading reviews there were always a few that had an issue. However I believe most headsets have a 1 year warranty so you should be all set.

Yea I would like to get 2 years out of a headset because by then I will be done with college and will be able to afford to replace headsets and I figured higher end headsets would probably be built to last a little more than the $15 Logitechs they sell at Kmart/Walmart.

I did look at some Turtle beaches, but I try to avoid them because I had bad experience with audio cards from them in the past and I just dislike the company as a whole because of that experience.

Thanatos
08-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Yea I would like to get 2 years out of a headset because by then I will be done with college and will be able to afford to replace headsets and I figured higher end headsets would probably be built to last a little more than the $15 Logitechs they sell at Kmart/Walmart.

I did look at some Turtle beaches, but I try to avoid them because I had bad experience with audio cards from them in the past and I just dislike the company as a whole because of that experience.

I would probably never buy from them again tbh. They gave my friend a hard time when he was trying to get information from them. I'm sure Astro's would be able to last just as long though.

Hazzah
08-03-2013, 03:59 PM
So no one else has an opinion? I'm kinda leaning towards a Steel Series, but still not sure where the best place to buy would be.

Wetish
08-03-2013, 08:08 PM
My Turtle Beaches broke 4 times before I gave up and bought a headset from Logitech.

NKN
08-03-2013, 08:13 PM
I have Astro a40's

They're awesome

Hazzah
08-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Astro I have decided are too expensive for me on my minimum wage job.

E: After reading some more reviews I am definitely considering the A40's with the mixamp because I also do gaming consoles and would like to use them for late nights in the dorm watching movies or something via Xbox, so the A40's really seem to be the ticket.

Wu-Tang Clan
08-04-2013, 01:53 AM
Astros are a little pricey but they kick ass compared to turtle beach. Turtle beach is nothing more than a name, they break too often and are just not good enough quality. You can usually get a decent pair of Logitechs or other "NoName" headsets from the Source which will be better than Turts.

Rich
08-04-2013, 11:26 AM
My Turtle Beaches have lasted me over 2 years now, and they're still going strong. Saying that, a a couple of friends had some which broke, so I guess I got lucky?

Hazzah
08-05-2013, 06:12 PM
I decided to go cheaper with 3 year warranty on some steel series headset I found on eBay. A few friends have used similar products and all like them, they did say they could become uncomfortable after 4-6 hours of gaming, but I don't do that much gaming to mind.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350582380194

I will report on them when I get them, and worst case scenario I will have to eat return shipping.

Ian
08-05-2013, 08:51 PM
they did say they could become uncomfortable after 4-6 hours of gaming, but I don't do that much gaming to mind.

Don't worry, most do that unless your ears are completely flat against your head normally. :)

Hazzah
08-06-2013, 01:17 AM
Don't worry, most do that unless your ears are completely flat against your head normally. :)

They are supposed to be over ear headphones, so they shouldn't push my ears against my head, if they do it will be a returned item probably.