PDA

View Full Version : Help with internet switch!

Spartan 117
08-19-2013, 09:52 PM
I just moved into college and only have one ethernet port in my room. This is a problem because I need four and I am not allowed to have a router. I purchased a switch a plugged it into the wall ethernet port. I plugged my computer into the second port on the switch. When my roommate plugged his computer into port #3 (http://villavu.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=3) his internet will not work but his laptop says connected. What am i doing wrong?? Any help is appreciated!

NKN
08-19-2013, 10:44 PM
I just moved into college and only have one ethernet port in my room. This is a problem because I need four and I am not allowed to have a router. I purchased a switch a plugged it into the wall ethernet port. I plugged my computer into the second port on the switch. When my roommate plugged his computer into port #3 (http://villavu.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=3) his internet will not work but his laptop says connected. What am i doing wrong?? Any help is appreciated!
My sisters uni only allowed for one MAC address to go out.

Try and clone a MAC.

tealc
08-19-2013, 10:57 PM

Try and clone a MAC.

^ or if you have a router use that and disable broadcasting.

GREEN GIANT
08-19-2013, 11:37 PM

I had a similar problem whilst in University halls, most switch/router methods wouldn't work for me but if your computer has more than one netwrok card you can bridge the connections and share the internet that way.

Spartan 117
08-19-2013, 11:41 PM
I had a similar problem whilst in University halls, most switch/router methods wouldn't work for me but if your computer has more than one netwrok card you can bridge the connections and share the internet that way.

How do i know if it has more than one network card and how do i bridge them?

GREEN GIANT
08-19-2013, 11:47 PM
How do i know if it has more than one network card and how do i bridge them?

How many ethernet ports does your computer have? Can you access the internet via WiFi?

If you're running windows 7 go to C:\Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections, how many connections show?

Spartan 117
08-20-2013, 12:02 AM

Try and clone a MAC.

This sounds promising. How do i do that on a macbook pro?

NKN
08-20-2013, 02:49 AM
This sounds promising. How do i do that on a macbook pro?

No idea.

Google comes in handy here.

Turpinator
08-20-2013, 02:39 PM

A network switch does not give 'everything' on it the same mac address. It just allows for everything to go through one line and the switch switches who gets what info/etc hence the name switch. my uni told us we couldnt have routers or whatever, but everyone did. If you have a spare one lying around, hook it up and stuff. Just be sure to secure the wireless if you leave that on.

Youll probably either need to re-register your router's mac address or just clone it from your laoptop/computer to the router. If the university were to find out you had a router (and if they were to even care...) they would firstly just ask you to remove it. They wouldnt go crazy and break into your room and smash the router up. "Hey, we noticed you had a router and thats against our rules, please disconnect it" or something.

grats
08-21-2013, 04:16 AM
I'm surprised..

are you using the correct cables & do the cables work?

if auto MDIX is not present, you will want two straight-through ethernet cables.