PDA

View Full Version : Building a laptop

rj
08-31-2013, 09:58 PM
When I graduate highschool in May my parents will give me a laptop for college. I want to build my own laptop to be better then these specs:

http://i.imgur.com/ns4vRAu.png

I'm perfectly happy with these specs lol but I think I could build better.

How much better could it get for what price? I'm a total noob at processors and computers parts so gonna need some help here.

YoHoJo
08-31-2013, 10:03 PM
You can't build a laptop, only PCs.
They don't sell parts to build a laptop, you can really only upgrade the RAM and HDD (maybe something else) of a laptop but not much more.

I guess you main you're looking to customize/pick a laptop.

A good place to start is budget, tell us your budget and we will try and find the best bang for your buck.

Edit:
Those specs are really nice as in, I wouldn't spend money on anything better it seems like it should be able to handle almost anything just fine :/.

rj
08-31-2013, 10:41 PM
You can't build a laptop, only PCs.
They don't sell parts to build a laptop, you can really only upgrade the RAM and HDD (maybe something else) of a laptop but not much more.

I guess you main you're looking to customize/pick a laptop.

A good place to start is budget, tell us your budget and we will try and find the best bang for your buck.

Edit:
Those specs are really nice as in, I wouldn't spend money on anything better it seems like it should be able to handle almost anything just fine :/.

Aww ok yea specs are fine but building a laptop would have been cool

Daniel
09-01-2013, 10:35 AM
You should look into the Clevo range of laptops. In the US, an OEM is Sager, and www.XoticPC.com is apparently a very reputable reseller of their range.

Cheap, and built to your specifications.

I have the P150EM (last years model, this years is the P150SM, little to no difference aside from Haswell) and it is a very solid laptop. Can easily last around 5 hours of non-intensive usage (web browsing, e-mail, IM/IRC, video, and audio).

YoHoJo
09-01-2013, 11:26 AM
You should look into the Clevo range of laptops. In the US, an OEM is Sager, and www.XoticPC.com is apparently a very reputable reseller of their range.

I have the P150EM (last years model, this years is the P150SM, little to no difference aside from Haswell) and it is a very solid laptop. Can easily last around 5 hours of non-intensive usage (web browsing, e-mail, IM/IRC, video, and audio).

But the REAL question is, how many bots can it run?!

A similar site to that is also www.ibuypower.com I think it's also fairly priced and good stuff.

rj
09-01-2013, 01:08 PM

Oh yea, I like battery power life even though I hardly have my laptop not plugged in. The one I have now lasts 1-1:30 hours browsing the internet but I heard dells battery's don't last too long after a while. Only time will tell(can't rely on irl noobs for this type of info)

Turpinator
09-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Soo... you already have a laptop now and they are going to get you another? f it, build a desktop.

rj
09-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Soo... you already have a laptop now and they are going to get you another? f it, build a desktop.

It's not my laptop it' my dads hes going to use it when his other goes bad. He bought it because is was so cheap (like $300).