PDA

View Full Version : IP Security software and IP Cameras - NEED ADVICE

footballjds
09-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Hello, I'm reaching out to my favorite online community for some much needed help.

MY CAR WAS VANDALIZED <:(

Some perp decided that red and green spray paint would look good on my car. Well it did not. They coated my headlights, my windows, my windshield, my mirrors, license plate, etc. with red and green spray paint.
I spent hours and removed about 99% of it. There's still specks that will be there forever, but it's not a big concern and isn't obvious at all. That sucks right?

It gets worse.

2 days later I wake up to my car vandalized again. This time the moron decided that gorilla glue would stay on better. He/she was right. This time "IMAHOMO", "FAG" and "UNCIRCUMCISED" was gorilla glued on my car in various places.
I spent MUCH longer scraping and chiseling the unwanted lettering off. The glue I'll never fully remove as no solvent removes gorilla glue.

I have an IP camera inside my place. It is facing my main door of entry, however, it doesn't help at all with my car which is parked outside.

I'd like to purchase an outdoor camera that is under 200$, supports night vision and would have clear footage up to 25 ft so I can ID the perp. I have a list of 3 people I think it is. However, none of them have a reason(in my eyes) to be this big of an ass.

I'd like any advice on what brand IP Camera's are great as well as software. Software cost is not an issue as long as it is popular enough to be in a bay that pirates my or may not harbour in.

Also, if anyone wants more details please ask.

Both times I called the cops. The second time they pulled prints, the powder they used to pull prints is almost as bad as the GLUE!

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I had a terrible labor day weekend as you can imagine. I'll upload the videos to youtube if you'd like to have a good laugh at my expense.

Sincerely,

Jesse/footballjds

J J
09-03-2013, 05:49 PM
EDIT2: You might need additional equipment. See my 2nd post for a full system.

Do you really want to spend up to or near 200$ just to record this pathetic guy?

30$ should do the job considering you have a good idea who it might be
http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Surveillance-Outdoor-Security-Infrared/dp/B001IBFSJ8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1378229995&sr=1-1&keywords=infrared+security+camera
or this one for 36$ http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Vision-Outdoor-Security-Vandal-proof/dp/B000TGC03U/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1378230310&sr=1-4&keywords=swann+camera

But if you don't recognize the person it will probably be too low quality (probably 480p) to identify. But considering he/she came back two times.. it is most likely someone you know. Keep in mind those are used ones. But it should do the job fine for your purposes.

165$ for this one, 1080p recording, water proof, vandal proof, up to 200 feet night vision.
http://www.amazon.com/GW-Security-Inc-GW788HDSDI-Professional/dp/B00BBN0VVS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1378230396&sr=1-1&keywords=1080p+security

So it's up to you if you think it's 130$ extra to have a clearer picture and be sure to identify the vandal. Or save 130$ and have a chance you will recognize someone you know.

EDIT: Just found a better price/quality option on ebay. Bosch Flexidome http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-FlexiDome-XF-DN-Fixed-Dome-Day-Night-540-TVL-High-Resolution-Camera-/111148396156
It should be this one: http://www.boschsecurity.com.au/content/language1/html/9144_ENU_XHTML.asp
Comes with some neat software where you can automatically flag suspicious behaviour. Eg someone walking near your car at night.

grats
09-03-2013, 05:56 PM
go ask them all how they spell uncircumcised, the one who spells it wrong.. bingo

for under $200 you won't get that amazing of a cam, I'd say your best bet would be a webcam and a raspberry pi or something..

dlink makes the 1150 version of their cloud cam which is decent, probably your best bet.. unfortunately these do not deliver resolutions that I'd call half decent.. so we go back to getting some webcam & hooking it to either a raspberry pi or a laptop and putting some case over it to waterproof

Do you really want to spend up to or near 200$ just to record this pathetic guy?

30$ should do the job considering you have a good idea who it might be
http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Surveillance-Outdoor-Security-Infrared/dp/B001IBFSJ8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1378229995&sr=1-1&keywords=infrared+security+camera
or this one for 36$ http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Vision-Outdoor-Security-Vandal-proof/dp/B000TGC03U/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1378230310&sr=1-4&keywords=swann+camera

But if you don't recognize the person it will probably be too low quality (probably 480p) to identify. But considering he/she came back two times.. it is most likely someone you know. Keep in mind those are used ones. But it should do the job fine for your purposes.

165$ for this one, 1080p recording, water proof, vandal proof, up to 200 feet night vision.
http://www.amazon.com/GW-Security-Inc-GW788HDSDI-Professional/dp/B00BBN0VVS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1378230396&sr=1-1&keywords=1080p+security

So it's up to you if you think it's 130$ extra to have a clearer picture and be sure to identify the vandal. Or save 130$ and have a chance you will recognize someone you know.

and he needs receivers for those.. do they save the videos while recording? probably not, you need an external device to do so..
that's the big trouble when facing cheaper cams

J J
09-03-2013, 06:08 PM
and he needs receivers for those.. do they save the videos while recording? probably not, you need an external device to do so..
that's the big trouble when facing cheaper cams
Oh yeah forgot about that part.. I just edited my post aswell, the Bosch supports supports local storage on a microSD card.

Also the 30$ one

I unboxed the camera, screwed on the base, connected the RCA cables and attached it to my DVR in under 5 minutes and it was recording. Has a nice wide field of view. Due to the fact this camera comes bundled with an AC power adapter this is a really great deal. Solidly built and works very well.
You can just use a video recorder to save the recordings? Not sure if you have one though.

Could also go with something like this.. maybe a bit extreme with multiple cameras, but you get a lot for your money and it includes everything needed to set it up and start recording. 500 GB HDD, couple camera's, cables, DVR.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zmodo-4CH-DVR-Indoor-Outdoor-Home-Video-Surveillance-Security-Camera-System-500G-/180994172143
for 179$

Seller also has 37k feedback.

But I'll leave my posts here for people that have actually worked with this kind of stuff.

grats
09-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Oh yeah forgot about that part.. I just edited my post aswell, the Bosch supports supports local storage on a microSD card.

Also the 30$ one

You can just use a video recorder to save the recordings? Not sure if you have one though.

Could also go with something like this.. maybe a bit extreme with multiple cameras, but you get a lot for your money and it includes everything needed to set it up and start recording. 500 GB HDD, couple camera's, cables, DVR.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zmodo-4CH-DVR-Indoor-Outdoor-Home-Video-Surveillance-Security-Camera-System-500G-/180994172143
for 179$

Seller also has 37k feedback.

But I'll leave my posts here for people that have actually worked with this kind of stuff.

yea that's where the extra money comes in his budget is crazy low, I think old laptop + webcam would be the best, could easily put a webserver he can hop into and look at his camera from a diff comp (I work with a CISSP who does security cams and I build webservers on everything to host mass cameras at once) I don't really know much about cameras themselves, other than he needs more money to do what he wants to do, lol.

footballjds
09-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! I'll give a little more info as to my current "security" setup. I have a relatively cheap indoor foscam camera. It suits my needs just fine. It is a wireless IP camera.

I'm using an opensource software called http://www.ispyconnect.com/ which i kind of like. So all i REALLY need is an IP camera that i can place outdoors.

footballjds
09-03-2013, 07:23 PM
looks like you guys a recommending CCTV cameras. I don't have a setup with a DVR for them, which I'd need, correct?

grats
09-03-2013, 07:25 PM
looks like you guys a recommending CCTV cameras. I don't have a setup with a DVR for them, which I'd need, correct?

for those yea
I'd (seriously) ziplock bag over your cam put it outside

footballjds
09-03-2013, 07:47 PM
for those yea
I'd (seriously) ziplock bag over your cam put it outside

doesn't work too well. the IR basically reflects back off glass. I tried pointing it out a window.

grats
09-03-2013, 08:05 PM
doesn't work too well. the IR basically reflects back off glass. I tried pointing it out a window.
oh lol, makes sense

I got bored since mentioning it in this thread started doing more with the 1080p cam

http://i.imgur.com/4q7mzWc.jpg

it's extremely easy to get setup so you can view over network linux or windows, but no night vision

that's the problem you run into, for under $200 you can't get all the features you want, only some of them =/

footballjds
09-03-2013, 08:26 PM
I'm finding a TON of options on amazon...

this is on the low end: http://www.amazon.com/Wascam-Waterproof-Wireless-installation-compatible/dp/B009VDPMBY/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1378239782&sr=1-10&keywords=outdoor+ip+camera+wireless

grats
09-03-2013, 09:39 PM
I'm finding a TON of options on amazon...

this is on the low end: http://www.amazon.com/Wascam-Waterproof-Wireless-installation-compatible/dp/B009VDPMBY/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1378239782&sr=1-10&keywords=outdoor+ip+camera+wireless

but.. you also wanted to be able to identify the people and see them from 25ft away? that would maybe be able to identify them from 2feet away, maybe.. lol 0.3mp

Silentcore
09-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Wow, those guys are an ass. Why not come up to you and settle any problem down face to face. Hire me and I will stand on your roof with a sniper. lol. If they put the letters on, why didnt you report to the police and maybe they might have searched for fingerprints on the letters..

footballjds
09-03-2013, 09:53 PM
but.. you also wanted to be able to identify the people and see them from 25ft away? that would maybe be able to identify them from 2feet away, maybe.. lol 0.3mp
you're right, that camera is shat. maybe ID at about 15 ft? I'm going to watch my car the next few nights, who needs sleep?

Wow, those guys are an ass. Why not come up to you and settle any problem down face to face. Hire me and I will stand on your roof with a sniper. lol. If they put the letters on, why didnt you report to the police and maybe they might have searched for fingerprints on the letters..

I'll hire you, we can code while you're not on duty too!

I actually called the police both times. the second time they took fingerprints.

J J
09-03-2013, 09:56 PM
you're right, that camera is shat. maybe ID at about 15 ft? I'm going to watch my car the next few nights, who needs sleep?

I'll hire you, we can code while you're not on duty too!

I actually called the police both times. the second time they took fingerprints.
What about putting the camera inside the car? Just put it next to the backseat head things facing to the back of your car and it should be able to record anyone walking to it. Then have it connect to your own server somehow or have it save the recordings on a SD card.

footballjds
09-03-2013, 10:02 PM
What about putting the camera inside the car? Just put it next to the backseat head things facing to the back of your car and it should be able to record anyone walking to it. Then have it connect to your own server somehow or have it save the recordings on a SD card.

the IR lights don't go through the glass, i tried, it give a nasty reflection.

grats
09-03-2013, 10:15 PM
the IR lights don't go through the glass, i tried, it give a nasty reflection.

I like JJ's idea just leave a window down and video & stream/save to a desktop inside
if they steal it, they get another charge... that ez

I'll come for free and setup raspberry pi with motion detection so we can not pay attention until its time!

Wyn
09-03-2013, 10:19 PM
come one wheres the pics

Itankbots
09-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Wow...Someone really hates you...Thats a serious douche move.

Hope you find out who did it man. Good luck!

I like the sniper idea

J J
09-03-2013, 10:22 PM
I like JJ's idea just leave a window down and video & stream/save to a desktop inside

I'll come for free and setup raspberry pi with motion detection so we can not pay attention until its time!
Reminds me of US bait cars. Fake an arrestation, put the victim in the police car, drive away. Leave the car door open, keys in the car... Then wait until someone hijacks it.

footballjds
09-03-2013, 10:23 PM

and if they're wearing a mask they then of access to a free camera, the inside of my car and I have no evidence.

come one wheres the pics

my iphone just died and i only had vids so photostream didn't put it on my pc...

grats
09-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Reminds me of US bait cars. Fake an arrestation, put the victim in the police car, drive away. Leave the car door open, keys in the car... Then wait until someone hijacks it.

rofl I remember some show about that long time ago

and if they're wearing a mask they then of access to a free camera, the inside of my car and I have no evidence.

my iphone just died and i only had vids so photostream didn't put it on my pc...

watch it all night and shoot them then
slam

Ian
09-03-2013, 10:39 PM
If you have a spare android you can set it up as an ip camera, and then have the IR lighting separately. Quality would suck though.

You can also get one of the ip cameras that JJ suggested and have it send to your android. I'm not sure about recording it but there's probably an app that will record it too.

footballjds
09-03-2013, 11:04 PM
so i have an idea. what if it is someone in my neghborhood? i could pour some sort of something around my car, so if they walk up to it i get tracks?

rj
09-03-2013, 11:13 PM
Couldn't you just keep watch all night?

footballjds
09-03-2013, 11:16 PM

I work full time, I'd be F***ing exhausted at work...

grats
09-03-2013, 11:43 PM

hell yea
with a gun

so i have an idea. what if it is someone in my neghborhood? i could pour some sort of something around my car, so if they walk up to it i get tracks?

just have a trip line that shoots them

King
09-04-2013, 12:11 AM
hell yea
with a gun

just have a trip line that shoots them

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jigsaw them.

Sjoe
09-04-2013, 12:20 AM
tripwire that shit and when it activates, make it release poison.

Hazzah
09-04-2013, 12:54 AM
Watch the car, then when they come and do it again spray them with silver nitrate (in a water gun of some sort). This will temporarily turn there skin black (for about a week) and then you will be able to ID the perp fairly easily, especially if you get it on their hands, face, or neck.

Wu-Tang Clan
09-04-2013, 01:02 AM
You could trash your car on your own and then they will think that you have it bad enough? lol

What about facing your indoor camera out the window facing your car? If you don't have a window facing your car, park your car on the street in view of your camera.

footballjds
09-04-2013, 02:11 PM
you guys are hilarious :)
Last night i left my window open and just checked on my car throughout the night... I'm tired but ohwell...

I can't purchase any camera atm due to financial issues... haha

Sjoe
09-04-2013, 02:19 PM
you guys are hilarious :)
Last night i left my window open and just checked on my car throughout the night... I'm tired but ohwell...

I can't purchase any camera atm due to financial issues... haha

No luck ? :(

footballjds
09-04-2013, 02:21 PM
No luck ? :(

None. also as mentioned before guys, pointing my current camera out the window isn't going to work.

Sjoe
09-04-2013, 02:24 PM
None. also as mentioned before guys, pointing my current camera out the window isn't going to work.

Put it in your garden gnome?

footballjds
09-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Put it in your garden gnome?

no gnome and it wouldn't fit :P

I have a foscam FI9821W

Sjoe
09-04-2013, 02:29 PM
no gnome and it wouldn't fit :P

I have a foscam FI9821W

why not in a bush or smthing, or set a fake one up with the camera peeping thru

footballjds
09-04-2013, 02:54 PM
why not in a bush or smthing, or set a fake one up with the camera peeping thru

i considered buying a fake camera off of amazon. the have really "real" looking ones for about 15$ that have a blinking L.E.D. and shit...

footballjds
09-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Here's links to the video's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u94I3sKuncQ&feature=youtu.be <-spray paint
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdaUdyqbyUk&feature=youtu.be <-glue and lettering

King
09-05-2013, 12:51 AM
Here's links to the video's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u94I3sKuncQ&feature=youtu.be <-spray paint
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdaUdyqbyUk&feature=youtu.be <-glue and lettering

ouchh.. I would go with the silver nitrate some spot on your car, look for a friend with purple hands..

footballjds
09-05-2013, 01:39 PM
ouchh.. I would go with the silver nitrate some spot on your car, look for a friend with purple hands..

i have reason to believe it was my neighbor. I'm waiting for a call back from the cops regarding the finger prints.

Sjoe
09-05-2013, 01:58 PM
i have reason to believe it was my neighbor. I'm waiting for a call back from the cops regarding the finger prints.

if it's true and u got proof, u could always return the favor ;)

King
09-05-2013, 02:59 PM

Does your neighbor dislike you? or you car? If the cops do not pan out, I would go with one of the ideas of tracking people near your car, although after the second attempt I don't know if he would do it again.

footballjds
09-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Does your neighbor dislike you? or you car? If the cops do not pan out, I would go with one of the ideas of tracking people near your car, although after the second attempt I don't know if he would do it again.

my neighbor Aaron is a douche. He wrote a note on my car a week ago and he made up some story and told my landlord some BS. So he's the most suspicious person. Also the times it happened pretty much MEANS it has to be my neighbor.

King
09-05-2013, 07:28 PM
my neighbor Aaron is a douche. He wrote a note on my car a week ago and he made up some story and told my landlord some BS. So he's the most suspicious person. Also the times it happened pretty much MEANS it has to be my neighbor.

Well go after him if you find proof >;D

[XoL]
09-06-2013, 03:34 AM
Slash your neighbors wheels, jk instead just buy a laser pointer and have it point at your car all night... no one wants to f with a laser.

footballjds
09-06-2013, 03:12 PM
;1264483']Slash your neighbors wheels, jk instead just buy a laser pointer and have it point at your car all night... no one wants to f with a laser.

what?

Sjoe
09-06-2013, 03:13 PM
what?

keep a laser dot pointed at your car so it scares the sh*t out of people :)

footballjds
09-06-2013, 05:28 PM
keep a laser dot pointed at your car so it scares the sh*t out of people :)

how is someone gonna see the laser? wouldn't this option be better: http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Dummy-Security-Camera-Blinking/dp/B0013Q1XTM

Sjoe
09-06-2013, 05:34 PM
how is someone gonna see the laser? wouldn't this option be better: http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Dummy-Security-Camera-Blinking/dp/B0013Q1XTM

Yeh good idea imo.

rj
09-06-2013, 08:33 PM

Put a dummy inside of the car that would scare the $*!t out of him

MituArora123
10-11-2014, 06:21 AM
VPN best for IP address security.