PDA

View Full Version : Can't boot up dell laptop

rj
10-25-2013, 03:09 AM
Ok so this afternoon I got on my laptop for like 5 mins and then closed the lid thing. I opened it back up tonight around 9 PM, turned it on, it showed the 'Dell' splash screen for like 800 ms and then showed a blank screen for like.. half a family guy episode. Usually it takes 8 seconds to startup. So I press F12 since windows8 doesn't support safemode.. unless you can configure it via the OS(which I can't access...). I ran the test twice (Dell pre-boot System assessment) with NO errors.

I ran it again and got this error: video memory vid memory integrity test discrepancy

Everything else passed:

Cables, Hard drive, CDrom, os boot path, primary battery, charger, processor fan, system management, memory

but video card failed:

VIDEO ADAPTER MEMORY TEST FAILED: 'Scan Test' AT LOCATION 0xe3f00000 EXPECTED VALUE = 0x0000000000000000 ACTUAL VALUE = 0xa366ac485615b97
Error code 2000-0332
Validation 80276

So umm yea I don't have a windows8 startup disk because it didn't come with the computer, and downloading another is out of the question with my internet. Is there anything I can do?

I have not downloaded anything with rats... hopefuly, just:

eclipse, simba, malwarebytes, AVG

Hazzah
10-25-2013, 03:37 AM
Well, Dell has very good customer service, and I assume the laptop must be fairly new and still have it 1 year of dell warranty, just call customer service and they will give you some fedex tags to send it back and have it repaired or replaced.

rj
10-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Well, Dell has very good customer service, and I assume the laptop must be fairly new and still have it 1 year of dell warranty, just call customer service and they will give you some fedex tags to send it back and have it repaired or replaced.
Meh that was a last resort but whatever guess I'll do that

xtrapsp
10-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Gonna be honest, sounds like your mobo is dead. What indicated that is that it's got an onboard video/graphics card.

You could always try re-installing or updating the BIOS.

Or you could smd.

Hazzah
10-25-2013, 05:50 PM
Meh that was a last resort but whatever guess I'll do that

Yea I know it, but it didn't seem like anything software related.

cause
10-25-2013, 06:07 PM
Sounds like a hardware problem for sure...+1 to Hazzah's suggestion.

rj
10-25-2013, 06:57 PM
Sounds like a hardware problem for sure...+1 to Hazzah's suggestion.

Good will be easy to tell dad

last time something like this happened (4 years ago) it was because I was a noob downloading too many games

I contacted YoHoJo and attempted to help but he told me to contact dell but I figured it would be more or less the same thing

footballjds
10-25-2013, 07:06 PM
i always try plugging in a vga cable to a monitor. however it sounds like a motherboard issue as strap-on pointed out

Hazzah
10-26-2013, 03:38 PM
i always try plugging in a vga cable to a monitor. however it sounds like a motherboard issue as strap-on pointed out

Literally Lol'd @Strap on

[XoL]
10-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Bios, disable lan based things and change the boot order so its hard drive first and see if it works.

rj
10-27-2013, 09:36 PM
;1270393']Bios, disable lan based things and change the boot order so its hard drive first and see if it works.

how do i go about doing that

[XoL]
10-27-2013, 09:45 PM
how do i go about doing that
Boot into bios (should be f2 or f8) then go into one of the settings and look for things that say lan and disable them

Edit: Hmm I became a "Old member" in the time from my last post :p

xtrapsp
10-28-2013, 12:54 AM
;1270398']Boot into bios (should be f2 or f8) then go into one of the settings and look for things that say lan and disable them

Edit: Hmm I became a "Old member" in the time from my last post :p

if it's a HDD error won't it come up saying either Corrupt or No OS found on drive?

[XoL]
10-28-2013, 03:21 PM
if it's a HDD error won't it come up saying either Corrupt or No OS found on drive?

Yeah I was getting that, but I also had the media failure thing happen to me and the bios thing fixed it for me (once I got a real boot, I changed everything back to normal)

Sjoe
10-31-2013, 10:22 PM
Hijacking thread:

Sister's laptop stays on a blackscreen when booting up.
Fans, lights, still works though.

Is it cause of faulty RAM? Don't think this is a mobo issue or gpu?

edit: got it, was the ram, properly connection gone lose or smthing.

Hadley
11-01-2013, 01:11 AM
Hijacking thread:

Sister's laptop stays on a blackscreen when booting up.
Fans, lights, still works though.

Is it cause of faulty RAM? Don't think this is a mobo issue or gpu?

edit: got it, was the ram, properly connection gone lose or smthing.

Sounds more like a graphics card display issue than a ram issue, but atleast you got it fixed. ;)

Sjoe
11-01-2013, 03:17 AM
Sounds more like a graphics card display issue than a ram issue, but atleast you got it fixed. ;)

yeh it was weird, all I did was put the ram out and in. Did the trick lol