PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL on a VM... how?

Foundry
01-23-2014, 11:00 PM
So, how would I get Runescape (or any other OpenGl games) to run on a Windows vm. I have tried a few times in the past month but haven't successfully got one working on VirtualBox or VMWare.

Closest I have come is installing Windows XP 32 bit with service pack 3 on a VMWare vm. All of the needed OpenGL extensions were there and worked, but the VM would crash a few seconds after RS loaded. I allocated enough memory and CPU power to get the job done but I just can't get anything to work. On VMWare, you can only allocate 64MB of video memory to windows XP and I think that was the problem.

I have tried other Windows OS's like Windows 7 and 8 on both VirtualBox and VMWare. Most of them don't seem to work when hardware acceleration is enabled and the correct software is installed (VMWare tools and the other thing for VirtualBox). Either it will say it has the OpenGl extensions and just display a black screen when attempting to use them or it won't support them at all. Any suggestions?

Spartan 117
01-23-2014, 11:12 PM
Are you on mac?
If not this tut may still be helpful for the VMWare part.
This is exactly how I do so(I have a macbook Pro 2012 model non retina)
http://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107580

Brandon
01-23-2014, 11:14 PM

Try loading RS in your VM without any plugins. Just the official client. If it gets into OpenGL you are fine, if not then your VM/computer cannot handle it.

I got it working on Linux-Mint x64 VMWare with Hardware Acceleration. You can always try Direct-X if you're using Windows. Seems to be supported in more VM's than OpenGL.

I found that OpenGL does NOT work in Hyper-V (Microsoft Virtual Machine) but it works in VMWare (only tested it on vmware Linux OS's)..

Foundry
01-24-2014, 12:10 AM
Try loading RS in your VM without any plugins. Just the official client. If it gets into OpenGL you are fine, if not then your VM/computer cannot handle it.

I got it working on Linux-Mint x64 VMWare with Hardware Acceleration. You can always try Direct-X if you're using Windows. Seems to be supported in more VM's than OpenGL.

I found that OpenGL does NOT work in Hyper-V (Microsoft Virtual Machine) but it works in VMWare (only tested it on vmware Linux OS's)..

I forgot a few things in my OP, my bad. First, I have Windows OS on the host. Second, I tested them the way you described and the only combination that worked was the one I stated. Third, I have a pretty nice PC with an i7 3770k, good nvidia graphics card, and 16GB of RAM, so that is not where the problem lies. And finally, I want to be able to run other OpenGL games than Runescape so DirectX isn't an option unfortunately.

Also, does the latest version of Simba work ok with Linux through Wine? I heard window targeting doesn't work, but would targeting a window by pid work? If the answer to those two is 'yes' then I will definitely try Linux.

Brandon
01-24-2014, 03:03 AM
I forgot a few things in my OP, my bad. First, I have Windows OS on the host. Second, I tested them the way you described and the only combination that worked was the one I stated. Third, I have a pretty nice PC with an i7 3770k, good nvidia graphics card, and 16GB of RAM, so that is not where the problem lies. And finally, I want to be able to run other OpenGL games than Runescape so DirectX isn't an option unfortunately.

Also, does the latest version of Simba work ok with Linux through Wine? I heard window targeting doesn't work, but would targeting a window by pid work? If the answer to those two is 'yes' then I will definitely try Linux.

If none of your games work in OpenGL on the VM, there's most likely nothing wrong with the game OR the game uses a newer version than your VM supports. You'll have to try installing VM-Tools or figure out a way to update the drivers for your VM. Just try not to break anything else.

I was only able to get it working with 3D Acceleration. According to http://lifehacker.com/5295334/virtualbox-30-beta-adds-gaming+level-graphics

VirtualBox should have it but I never used that before.

Foundry
01-24-2014, 11:26 PM
So, I've decided to try Linux... can anyone tell me the most user friendly distro?

Kaladin
01-25-2014, 10:33 AM
http://www.ubuntu.com/

bonsai
01-25-2014, 01:40 PM
I agree with agoson, ubuntu is pretty user-centric.

But I would also recommend centos since it uses the redhat sources and redhat is pretty much the business standard. A default load gives you a nice GUI desktop and there's tons of info available on the web for anything you want to do.

Did you try using the VMware tools for your other issue? I expected that would do the trick.

If you have any linux issues feel free to drop me a message. I hate to admit how ancient I am but I've been hacking at unix for more than 25 years. I haven't tried running simba under linux yet though.

Sjoe
01-25-2014, 01:55 PM
If none of your games work in OpenGL on the VM, there's most likely nothing wrong with the game OR the game uses a newer version than your VM supports. You'll have to try installing VM-Tools or figure out a way to update the drivers for your VM. Just try not to break anything else.

I was only able to get it working with 3D Acceleration. According to http://lifehacker.com/5295334/virtualbox-30-beta-adds-gaming+level-graphics

VirtualBox should have it but I never used that before.

is hardware acceleration enabled by default on vmware workstation?
I use Windows 7 on the guest pc if that matters.

Also Foundry; Simba works for me on VMWare Workstation, but OpenGL is a bit laggy :( . DirectX is way smoother :p

Foundry
01-25-2014, 05:03 PM
is hardware acceleration enabled by default on vmware workstation?
I use Windows 7 on the guest pc if that matters.

Also Foundry; Simba works for me on VMWare Workstation, but OpenGL is a bit laggy :( . DirectX is way smoother :p

So windows 7 on vmware with hardware acceleration and all of the tools installed works for you? Haven't tried that combination yet.

Also bonsai what do you mean by using VMWare tools? I only installed them. Is there settings or something?

Sjoe
01-25-2014, 05:12 PM
So windows 7 on vmware with hardware acceleration and all of the tools installed works for you? Haven't tried that combination yet.

Euh yeh, latest driver on my host pc and installation of vmware tools. That works for me.

King
01-25-2014, 07:46 PM
You could always use parallels? It allows you to install a second copy of your own OS to a VM. It is how I run simba(iMac). All I did then was just install the items to the VM and BAM worked great. I will probably make a Mac tutorial for simba later