PDA

View Full Version : Is this laptop good for RS/LoL?

Prometheus
02-12-2014, 09:56 PM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8430967&Sku=H24-15361

I need a laptop that can play RS and League at low settings while maintaining a somewhat good fps (40+), and also for schoolwork for around $300-$400. I don't really know that much about computers, and I know that building a desktop is cheaper and better, but I want to buy a laptop to take it to places.

Is this laptop good?

The Mayor
02-12-2014, 10:07 PM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=H24-15361

I need a laptop that can play RS and League at low settings while maintaining a somewhat good fps (40+), and also for schoolwork for around $300-$400. I don't really know that much about computers, and I know that building a desktop is cheaper and better, but I want to buy a laptop to take it to places.

Is this laptop good?

404 on that link.

Prometheus
02-12-2014, 10:09 PM
404 on that link.

My bad, fixed it now

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8430967&Sku=H24-15361

The Mayor
02-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Not bad for the price. Only let down is the integrated graphics. I've never played league, but I think you may struggle to get 40+ fps on that.

Foundry
02-12-2014, 10:36 PM
I think you *should* be able to get 30 fps on LoL on low settings. But like The Mayor said, it would be pushing it.

Prometheus
02-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Not bad for the price. Only let down is the integrated graphics. I've never played league, but I think you may struggle to get 40+ fps on that.

I think you *should* be able to get 30 fps on LoL on low settings. But like The Mayor said, it would be pushing it.

I guess I'll go for a desktop then. How does this one look?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2RMgO

Foundry
02-13-2014, 01:07 AM

Just taking a quick look... that one looks much better suited to run LoL

Prometheus
02-13-2014, 01:16 AM
Thanks, I'll go for that instead then :)

Brandon
02-13-2014, 01:39 AM

There is no way 1.5ghz and 4GB ram is good for that price (300+).. Especially as it comes with Windows-8 x64 which has the following MINIMUM requirements:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
RAM: 2 GB (64-bit)
Hard disk space: 20 GB (64-bit)
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

That laptop has nearly as much processing power as an iPhone-5: Dual-core 1.3 GHz.. OP won't be able to run crap on it. 40FPS is MORE than just pushing it.. He won't even be able to run anything else. RS alone takes up quite a bit of power.. Imagine running Smart. lol.
He might as well shred his money or play games on a phone lol.

The Mayor
02-13-2014, 02:14 AM
There is no way 1.5ghz and 4GB ram is good for that price (300+).. Especially as it comes with Windows-8 x64 which has the following MINIMUM requirements:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
RAM: 2 GB (64-bit)
Hard disk space: 20 GB (64-bit)
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

That laptop has nearly as much processing power as an iPhone-5: Dual-core 1.3 GHz.. OP won't be able to run crap on it. 40FPS is MORE than just pushing it.. He won't even be able to run anything else. RS alone takes up quite a bit of power.. Imagine running Smart. lol.
He might as well shred his money or play games on a phone lol.

That laptop would cost you about $1000+ NZD here (800+ usd). I'm sure he could run 1-2 smarts on it - I've got worse laptops and they can, just ;) The reality is though, if you want to game on a laptop, you have to spend a bit of money.

slackeru
02-13-2014, 10:21 AM

Looks good to me too. Gigabytes are cheap though, maybe go for more? With 320GB I would run out of free space, but that's just me as I keep a lot of crap laying around :p

Coh3n
02-13-2014, 06:04 PM

If you're going to play online games I wouldn't even bother with a wireless adapter. Since it's a desktop just use an Ethernet cord. From my experience it's well worth it. But it's really up to you. :)

Prometheus
02-13-2014, 06:43 PM
If you're going to play online games I wouldn't even bother with a wireless adapter. Since it's a desktop just use an Ethernet cord. From my experience it's well worth it. But it's really up to you. :)

My room is upstairs and my network adapter is downstairs, that would be a long cord :p

I'll look for more space on tge hard drive, thanks guys!

Wu-Tang Clan
02-14-2014, 02:48 AM
Buy something used. Even slightly used laptops go for dirt cheap on Kijiji and Craigslist. My experience is always great when buying laptops. I can run 1 smart well on a laptop I got for $80.

Coh3n
02-14-2014, 02:59 AM
My room is upstairs and my network adapter is downstairs, that would be a long cord :p

I'll look for more space on tge hard drive, thanks guys!I'm in the same situation and I run a cord through the floor (which may not be an option for you). Honestly, if it's possible, it's well worth it. Hell, I do it for my laptop that has a built in wireless adapter. :p

E: Plus, you can get 50 ft. ethernet cords online for dirt cheap.

Prometheus
02-14-2014, 06:54 AM
I'm in the same situation and I run a cord through the floor (which may not be an option for you). Honestly, if it's possible, it's well worth it. Hell, I do it for my laptop that has a built in wireless adapter. :p

E: Plus, you can get 50 ft. ethernet cords online for dirt cheap.

Never knew that. I'll look into it :O

hazlloyd
02-18-2014, 12:25 AM
You will have absolutely no problems playing RS.
You will have problems playing LoL.

Flight
02-18-2014, 12:38 AM

I'll look for more space on tge hard drive, thanks guys!

No biggie, ethernet cable doesn't cost too much, the tricky part is wiring up both ends. I've strung 2 lines across the roofs of two houses before to avoid installing internet in a house with no phone line.

Buy something used. Even slightly used laptops go for dirt cheap on Kijiji and Craigslist. My experience is always great when buying laptops. I can run 1 smart well on a laptop I got for $80.

That's what I'd suggest. I've found quite a few laptops here with i5's and 2-6gb RAM in the $300-$350 range. You'll definitely save a lot if you just buy something used.

Wu-Tang Clan
02-18-2014, 03:25 AM
To add on to what flight said a little bit... try and go for dual core, I find they run smoother, and if you look long enough, you will probably find one for around the price you are looking for. I get a smart running on 1.2 ghz single core. Just imagine a dual core :) and my dual core 2.3 ghz laptop runs 3-4 smarts (safely- never tried more than 4 because I was at around 100%)