PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard questions...

Hadley
05-19-2014, 07:54 PM
My Gigabyte x58-usb3 buggered itself last thursday so I am currently stuck with my 7 year old laptop until I get a new motherboard. I had a friend build my desktop about 3 years ago so the mobo had a good run, but now I'm faced with buying something that is (hopefully) similar since I honestly have no idea what other parts are dependant on what, etc. I'm not completely computer illiterate, just not sure what parts go with what... :duh: I would get the same motherboard but newegg/ncix are both out of stock unfortunately. Can anyone give me some tips on what a similar/identical motherboard would be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And if anyone wants to know what exactly happened to the motherboard... the network adapter basically got fried somehow. There was a thunder storm a few nights ago so I'm assuming that's what did it.

My current setup is using i7/12gb ram (not ssd)

Turpinator
05-19-2014, 08:49 PM
Well... if your nic got fried... you could just buy a new one that goes into a pcie slot?

Or... a mobo. Ensure you get the same socket (lga 1366) and the same supported ram type (should be ddr3)
12gb ram... means you had 3x4gb probably. so make sure the new mobo has 6 slots/supports triple channel.
make sure you have enough pci(e) slots/etc for your graphics card(s) and such.
as well as sata ports per your hdd/dvd/etc drives.

Kasi
05-19-2014, 09:00 PM
Well... if your nic got fried... you could just buy a new one that goes into a pcie slot?

This. Don't replace the mobo based on one faulty section. if you don't even want to take apart your computer just get a USB wireless adapter, They are dirt cheap.

Turpinator
05-19-2014, 09:32 PM
This. Don't replace the mobo based on one faulty section. if you don't even want to take apart your computer just get a USB wireless adapter, They are dirt cheap.

eww wireless.

I would first ensure that it is solely your network card that is bad.

Kasi
05-19-2014, 10:15 PM
eww wireless.

or you can just get a usb to ethernet adapter i guess

Hadley
05-19-2014, 10:24 PM
eww wireless.

The nic is integrated on the board unfortunately.

The error I have been getting is 'If deep sleep mode is enabled Please plug the cable'. I've tried literally everything the past 2 days to no avail. Reinstalling windows, reset the bios, enabling/disabling lan in the bios, reinstalled all the drievrs from the factory CD except one and that's the driver that's giving me the error. I even tried the 'leave it unplugged' method people have suggested but that didn't solve anything.

Kasi
05-20-2014, 12:07 AM
Hadley; did some googling for you, apparently you arn't the only person with these issues. I've read that a bios update helps with the problem.

Edit: also suggest you look at Vortical's post on http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=3414.0

Hadley
05-20-2014, 12:52 AM
Hadley; did some googling for you, apparently you arn't the only person with these issues. I've read that a bios update helps with the problem.

Edit: also suggest you look at Vortical's post on http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=3414.0
I have tried the power down method, i've basically dismantled my computer twice, held down the power to discharge the static, unplugged everything, left it overnight, and that didn't seem to do anything. I have noticed from other forum posts it does work for most people.

I also flashed my bios but just realised it was updating the bios to an older version than what's on gigabyte's website. I'll see if the newer version does anything.

Hadley
05-20-2014, 01:29 AM
Just flashed with the most current bios update (.F5C) on gigabytes website, nada. :(

Kasi
05-20-2014, 03:04 AM
Just flashed with the most current bios update (.F5C) on gigabytes website, nada. :(

i would try getting in contact with gigabyte as a last resort, see if you can salvage anything from them before investing any more money. See if they can send you a replacement/offer you a refund / another part which might be able to help with your issue. Just say that faulty device, and you have read that it has happened to several people over the internet etc. If you still don't get any leeway then i guess your only option is buying something new out of your own pocket.

Hadley
05-20-2014, 06:29 PM
I didn't realize you could actually buy completely separate adapters for the motherboard... I'm going to give a d-link network adapter a shot since it's sold in the only store opened around my place after work. *crosses fingers*

Thanks guys.

Edit: Fixed. :D