PDA

View Full Version : I think it is time for SRL to expand to other games/uses

Syntax
05-20-2014, 06:27 AM
I think it is time that SRL expands to other games or other uses. SRL would have to be one of the best programming communities I have came across and I feel like it is slowly losing activity and I don't want that to happen :/
It would be great if we did, there are heaps of games that people want to bot and we have a community that is full of intelligent individuals who can provide them that.

/discuss

-Syntax

Zyt3x
05-20-2014, 07:39 AM
I think it would be nice, but what games or uses? I remember there was some interest in Dofus a while back, but I'm not sure how popular / profitable that game is anymore.

Hoodz
05-20-2014, 08:01 AM
Same with eldevin, but its going to be released on steam soon ;)

Foundry
05-20-2014, 12:34 PM
Wurm Online! :p.

srsly though, I do agree that working on another game would bring a lot of activity but there doesn't seem to be a game that many people here like aside from Eldevin.

E: Zyt3x; just looked at it and making a combat script for Dofus would be very interesting.

Wetish
05-20-2014, 09:26 PM
Dofus looks pretty interesting. The client isn't obfuscated which is very nice :) But the combat is meh. I don't like turn based.

Hazzah
05-21-2014, 06:22 AM
I would imagine a lot of the games I have been playing recent are not really suitable for botting.

Would be cool to see a script that automatically levels classes in Hearthstone, assuming that the AI bots actually provide xp when defeated. Its something I thought about but haven't cared enough to do because, well I actually enjoy playing the game.

Syntax
05-21-2014, 07:08 AM
I think it would be nice, but what games or uses? I remember there was some interest in Dofus a while back, but I'm not sure how popular / profitable that game is anymore.

I was looking at diablo 3 the other day, but that looks like it would be hard to bot with a color bot :P

P1nky
05-21-2014, 09:06 AM
Leauge of Legends? Maybe a utility that can be developed to get last hits on minions ... LOL, sounds kind of sick, ya?

samerdl
05-21-2014, 06:30 PM
Runescape is the only mmorpg i play, no reason to bot on a game like Deus ex or Css :p.

Good idea though, we could make an experimental thread to see what we can accomplish with simba on other popular mmorpg's?, maybe create a sandbox program like smart - but aimed for games that aren't exactly written in java?.

Cant think of any game to bot on and frankly i've wasted so many years on Runescape i just dont wanna go get sucked in into another game.

Clarity
05-21-2014, 07:45 PM
Runescape is the only mmorpg i play, no reason to bot on a game like Deus ex or Css :p.

Good idea though, we could make an experimental thread to see what we can accomplish with simba on other popular mmorpg's?, maybe create a sandbox program like smart - but aimed for games that aren't exactly written in java?.

Cant think of any game to bot on and frankly i've wasted so many years on Runescape i just dont wanna go get sucked in into another game.

I might consider botting for ranks in CoD or something but I hear they actually have very good detection for automation. But this is basically my situation as well.

chief herb
05-21-2014, 07:58 PM
would xbox 360/one ps3/ps4 aimbot's etc be possible?

The Killer
05-21-2014, 08:06 PM
Leauge of Legends? Maybe a utility that can be developed to get last hits on minions ... LOL, sounds kind of sick, ya?
I play league and it wouldn't bother me eithier way. I probably wouldn't bot it because I enjoy playing it.

I kinda of agree with you here. And I'm pretty sure Olly; said something about Simba and Exes the other day...

would xbox 360/one ps3/ps4 aimbot's etc be possible?
I wouldn't be impressed to see aimbots. Something like a fifa merchant or something along them lines. Personally don't think its fair to bot to actually gain an unfair advantage but should just be for tedious tasks that no one really enjoys (if you know what I mean)

Ian
05-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Like others have said, I don't really play any other games where grinding levels is such a big thing.

Any other games I play tend to have no reason to automate, COD Blackops for example (which is already filled with cheaters so there isn't much point anyway)

Hoodz
05-22-2014, 08:21 AM
Like others have said, I don't really play any other games where grinding levels is such a big thing.

Any other games I play tend to have no reason to automate, COD Blackops for example (which is already filled with cheaters so there isn't much point anyway)

COD Blackops :wow:

Ian
05-22-2014, 02:44 PM
COD Blackops :wow:

I used to really like it but now it's not uncommon for there to be games with invisible & invincible people in them. Before that there were infinite mortar/napalm games, but that's died down now that people have found hacks that are more beneficial to them.

kingarabian
05-23-2014, 12:17 AM
SRL always had its ups and downs and how much activity it gets, is based on the state of Runescape. And honestly, I think Runescape will rise back to its feet once again.

Games like LoL and Dota are certainly more popular, but they become too repetitive. A lot of my friends including myself, who have been playing since season 1 have now quit.

Once FTP is allowed for OSRS, I expect Runescape to rise again. Gonna be a while, just have to ride out the storm. Runescapes true reign was ended abruptly by its creators. Shame it took them this long to realize their mess.

Syntax
05-30-2014, 01:22 PM
SRL always had its ups and downs and how much activity it gets, is based on the state of Runescape. And honestly, I think Runescape will rise back to its feet once again.

Games like LoL and Dota are certainly more popular, but they become too repetitive. A lot of my friends including myself, who have been playing since season 1 have now quit.

Once FTP is allowed for OSRS, I expect Runescape to rise again. Gonna be a while, just have to ride out the storm. Runescapes true reign was ended abruptly by its creators. Shame it took them this long to realize their mess.
I dunno man, this is a couple days after ftp is released on oldschool: http://i.imgur.com/mN3LCy7.png

kingarabian
05-31-2014, 03:04 AM
I dunno man, this is a couple days after ftp is released on oldschool: http://i.imgur.com/mN3LCy7.png

It's going to take some time. But the feeling is there.

P1nky
05-31-2014, 06:14 AM
OSRS is going to pick up, Runescape announced that it has gotten 20k new players on the first day of the release of F2P.

Also, it is 1 am at the moment and "There are currently 12100 people playing!" That is a increase of players playing at this time.

I have a good feeling about this.

Flight
05-31-2014, 06:47 AM
It's going to take some time. But the feeling is there.

OSRS is going to pick up, Runescape announced that it has gotten 20k new players on the first day of the release of F2P.

Also, it is 1 am at the moment and "There are currently 12100 people playing!" That is a increase of players playing at this time.

I have a good feeling about this.

Nice to see some others staying optimistic about OSRS.

The Mayor
05-31-2014, 07:43 AM
You guys are all dreaming. RS died years ago. Jagex killed it when they removed the wilderness and free trade. They saw the player numbers dropping so they brought back free trade but went and added in SOF and all that other rwt crap. That was really the nail in the coffin. All the players left like everyone knew they would. They brought back OSR in hopes of drawing all the players back but it was too late. Everyone was sick of their sh*t. Now they realise OSR is a big flop and make it f2p to draw in the players. It's too late, the game is dead. At least they drew in 20k new bots on the first day haha. RIP RS.

Gunner
05-31-2014, 09:28 PM
It's too late, the game is dead...RIP RS.

^This. The one major thing Jagex has still failed to realize, is that you CANNOT change the core gameplay...EVER!. Add content updates, graphical updates, I'm even ok with the SoF and TH bullshit, but you absolutely, positively CAN'T change the core gameplay. Updates like the free trade/wilderness removal, EoC and other such crap has completely changed the game. The gameplay is almost unrecognizable from where the Gower's made it.

They are kind of seeing their mistakes, but they just continue to make them. Then they release bandaids in the hopes of bringing back the players they ran off. This is evident in the release of OSRS. The old schoolers hated EoC and left. Jagex realized it and brought back OSRS as a completely separate game. A bandaid on a core gameplay change. They've since realized that even the vets who still play EoC would rather have the old game back, but have become accustomed to EoC and OSRS is really an outdated game compared to it. They knew EoC was nothing but button mashing, so they brought out Revolution...another bandaid on core gameplay that failed to undo the damage. So, they've now launched a campaign to bring back Legacy combat. All the perks of RS3, the (in my opinion) better overall game, and reverting to the old core gameplay. I for one am looking forward to Legacy, but I don't know how much effect it will have on the game as a whole.

tl;dr - They just haven't seemed to realize what kind of effect core changes have on a games players. They make major changes, and then try to piece it back together when it all goes to hell.

EDIT: Just realized how off-topic this post really was from the OP. I read The Mayors post and it sent me into a tangent. Apologies.

kingarabian
05-31-2014, 10:09 PM
I don't know how you folks see OSRS as dead already. I've been preaching patience and it's finally paying off.

Look at the big picture, the only reason you play a game is to have fun, and because the game fun. OSRS is still a fun and simple game. If you don't see it as fun, then you have out grown it or what not, and there is absolutely nothing Jagex can do for you. A lot of people play Runescape to kill time and hangout, while not needing to download 5GB worth of game files, in order to play. You can play Runescape anywhere, hence why it still attracts a lot of players and attention despite it being a stoneage game. Minecraft is a prime example.

The Gowers fucked Runescape up before they sold it. I'm not going to disagree here. They destroyed a game that did not yet reach its full potential. People wanted to play the game, but were forced to quit because of the stupid decisions the creators made. Their egos stopped them from fixing up their mistakes. I agree with you guys completely here. But it does not mean Runescape is dead or gone. People still WANT to play the game. The reason why EOC was a failure is because RS3 has become a failure. No one really cares about graphics. No one cares about cool looking objects and what not. They want a fun game play. I agree with you guys here.

Now with OSRS, Jagex gave us a dedicated development team that only creates or negates content based of user feedback. Which is fantastic. Players are happy, and Jagex's image is improving. I believe after the auction house is introduced, a lot more EOC players will quit and join OSRS. Add in a growing FTP base and it doesn't look so bad.

I don't fault you guys for thinking doom and gloom here lol. Jagex really messed things up. But you never know.

Gunner
05-31-2014, 10:30 PM
I don't fault you guys for thinking doom and gloom here lol. Jagex really messed things up. But you never know.

It's not really doom and gloom, just simple facts. The player base if WAY down from where it was before the investors took over, and so are the profits. Profit per year is down to $6 Million from $10 Million. The player base used to be between 250K and 300K at any given time, now it's roughly 60K. At this moment it's at 55K, and that is a 6:30PM eastern time on a Saturday. Something is wrong there. Removal of bots in '11 made a big dent in the base, but not 80% big. The game Runescape, as a whole, RSC, OSRS, and RS3 is dead. The players that they are bringing in now are not the players who waste an entire weekend playing the game. They are the players who play for 40 mins, realize the grind and quit.

I still really enjoy playing RS3, and I know there are some hardcore OSRS players as well, but you can just look at the world populations and see the problem. It's really common to see 10-20 worlds with <100 players. That's a joke compared to where RS used to be.

I'm not really knocking the games themselves, I still enjoy them, but it's not hard to see how badly the game is performing today.

The Mayor
05-31-2014, 10:54 PM
http://puu.sh/99Beq/113e00daa9.png

kingarabian
05-31-2014, 10:55 PM
It's not really doom and gloom, just simple facts. The player base if WAY down from where it was before the investors took over, and so are the profits. Profit per year is down to $6 Million from $10 Million. The player base used to be between 250K and 300K at any given time, now it's roughly 60K. At this moment it's at 55K, and that is a 6:30PM eastern time on a Saturday. Something is wrong there. Removal of bots in '11 made a big dent in the base, but not 80% big. The game Runescape, as a whole, RSC, OSRS, and RS3 is dead. The players that they are bringing in now are not the players who waste an entire weekend playing the game. They are the players who play for 40 mins, realize the grind and quit.

I still really enjoy playing RS3, and I know there are some hardcore OSRS players as well, but you can just look at the world populations and see the problem. It's really common to see 10-20 worlds with <100 players. That's a joke compared to where RS used to be.

I'm not really knocking the games themselves, I still enjoy them, but it's not hard to see how badly the game is performing today.

I'm not denying that the games themselves are lacking considerably. They are. Not only did the removal of bots bring down the average numbers of players, but the introduction of EOC caused a lot of people to quit. OSRS brought some of them back, and will continue to take away players from EOC.

I don't know how long you've been playing, but in 2006-07 (Runescapes glory days), Jagex did a massive bot ban (RS demon bots) and the average of players went down to 60k.The game continued to grow because people loved it, bots came back and the number of players went up to 125k

In 2004-2005 there was the Aryan mass bot ban that also cut down the number of average players. same thing happened.

Don't worry about the number of players right now. Look deep down. If people are happy, you'll have more players, and bot makers will see the potential and make more bots and the number of players will go up.

You said it yourself, you still enjoy the game. As do I and countless others. Runescape has the grind option, but it's also a place to go clanning, hanging out, and player killing. The games appeal is still there. It appealed to people before and it still will.

kingarabian
05-31-2014, 10:57 PM

What is your graph based off of?

kingarabian
05-31-2014, 11:19 PM
At least they drew in 20k new bots on the first day haha. RIP RS.

Saw a user on Facebook post this:

Why would bots have any interest in gaining profit in things that aren't yew trees? And I honestly doubt that many bots are giving Jagex a problem right now, otherwise they'd disable more f2p features just like they said. Be a patriot for the growth of our weakened community.

What are bots going to bot? Lobsters? Mine Rune in the wilderness? Mine copper and coal? 1k bots, maybe. But 20k bots is absurd. FTP botting was mainly for Yews.

The Mayor
06-01-2014, 12:37 AM
What is your graph based off of?

Just a crude graph of Google trends data overlaid with key events in rs history.

Saw a user on Facebook post this:

What are bots going to bot? Lobsters? Mine Rune in the wilderness? Mine copper and coal? 1k bots, maybe. But 20k bots is absurd. FTP botting was mainly for Yews.

That was my level 99 sarcasm on display. In reality it's probably half bots.

kingarabian
06-01-2014, 07:06 AM
Just a crude graph of Google trends data overlaid with key events in rs history.

Can you lay it further so it reaches 04-05+?

masterBB
06-01-2014, 09:23 AM

it is just this:
http://www.google.nl/trends/explore#q=runescape

The Mayor
06-02-2014, 02:54 AM

Google trends only goes back so far.

kingarabian
06-02-2014, 03:47 AM
It's good enough, thank you folks.

Personally, I still use this to gauge interest:

http://www.misplaceditems.com/2007online.php

aliensexist
02-14-2015, 04:09 PM

this. a league of legends script would definetely appeal to many people, plus low elo is such a pain to deal with

Wizzup?
02-16-2015, 10:56 PM
On topic, we don't always need to find new games to automate - even though it is fun, we can also work together to create software that does something else than macroing. I'm not saying this is the direction we should go, but yeah.

Dark_Flame
02-16-2015, 11:03 PM
this. a league of legends script would definetely appeal to many people, plus low elo is such a pain to deal with

Already exists, I don't know if I can link websites here, but let's just say there are already two big competitors, a big community for it, and recently both competitors were hit with tons of bans :) (myself included)

Myke
02-17-2015, 01:44 AM
On topic, we don't always need to find new games to automate - even though it is fun, we can also work together to create software that does something else than macroing. I'm not saying this is the direction we should go, but yeah.

I think a WebGL project would be a good possibility. There is definitely the talent in this community to make a solid game with that api. Of course there are many more things to do besides make games with WebGL.

aliensexist
02-17-2015, 02:03 AM
Already exists, I don't know if I can link websites here, but let's just say there are already two big competitors, a big community for it, and recently both competitors were hit with tons of bans :) (myself included)

send links in inbox please?

grats
02-17-2015, 02:04 AM

I think they need to get it working flawless on mobile & they'd see a huge increase

that should have been the main idea about getting the client html5/javascript instead of java..

kingarabian
02-17-2015, 02:36 AM
I think Simba can be used for other tasks/games, but I think SRL should always remain exclusively for Runescape.

J_R
02-17-2015, 08:31 AM

It would definitely appeal to people; however, I highly doubt simba would be able to expand to LoL and I honestly hope it doesn't. It's one thing to bot something like RS to take out the grind that is everywhere; it's another to use a bot to make yourself feel mighty and skilled (esp when there is no grind involved, levelling bots though are fine).

P1nky
02-18-2015, 02:48 AM
This sounds like an amazing idea, we have many people here who have developed various skills and who knows what we can actually do.