PDA

View Full Version : Internship Interview

P1nky
10-22-2014, 08:11 AM
I have an interview tomorrow, and I am actually being interviewed by a organization that is under the Fortune 500. I was hoping some tips, what they expect, and what should I be doing?

Thanks! I came here because I know SRL is like a family to me.

-P1nky

Incurable
10-22-2014, 09:57 AM
You should ask in IRC if you haven't already, core and several others have actually been speaking about this recently.

Kevin
10-23-2014, 02:15 PM
What kind of company are you interviewing with? Tech, or something else? That kind of affects the advice I'd give at least :)

3Garrett3
10-23-2014, 02:54 PM
I know in my case, the best thing was to not think about the company being Fortune 200 (nearly 100). The two people who interviewed me seemed pretty stiff at first, but I slipped in a good story that had them laughing for one of their first questions, and talked about my home town with one of the interviewers who turned out to be from nearby. Then the whole interview basically turned into a conversation about cool stuff and how great the company was to work for etc.

So hopefully your interview goes well today, and just remember to stay cool during it. Whoever speaks the least in an interview is the winner, so if you can get the interviewers telling you stories about their jobs then you'll be in their good books (everyone loves to talk about themselves). The interview process is basically for the interviewers to decide 1) if you have the qualifications you said you did in your resume, and 2) if they would be happy to work with you. Prove both of those to them and you're golden.

Jake
10-23-2014, 06:12 PM
When I was interviewed for my internship with an investment firm, I thought they expected a lot since its located on Wall Street, and thought wouldn't take me because I am younger than the usual candidate pool.

I did my research about the company, about their business overseas and global commodities and bond ratings. Had to be familiar about who the CEO is, approximately how much do they own in Assets, Revenue, Expenses, Headquarters, so forth. Practiced answering the common interview questions, "Why do you want to work for us?", "Where do you see yourself is 5 years?", "What is your biggest weakness?", " Do you have any questions you'd like to ask us?".

When the day of the interview came, I was surprised to find out that my interviewer went to the same highschool as I did, and that we were able to relate in so many ways. It went from me being worrying what the next critical question he would ask to being a casual, fun, hilarious conversation. I exceeded or met all of the qualifications, high GPA, previous experience at my college, and volunteering, so he had no concerns.

I started the internship the next day.

I don't know what company this is for, or what position, but those two factors are dependent on to what they expect of you. Other than that, you should perform your basics of keeping excellent eye contact, not lying, and show what work you have done outside of your studies. They do not want you to regurgitate whatever you have on your resume, because they have already ready that, they prefer to be amazed or see how great of a worker/thinker/leader you are.

Update us on how it went if you get the chance.

I have an interview tomorrow, and I am actually being interviewed by a organization that is under the Fortune 500. I was hoping some tips, what they expect, and what should I be doing?

Thanks! I came here because I know SRL is like a family to me.

-P1nky

P1nky
10-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Guys I appreciate the points y'all stated! Also this is an Energy company; And I believe it went well and hoping to hear from them this week!

Incurable
10-23-2014, 11:25 PM
Guys I appreciate the points y'all stated! Also this is an Energy company; And I believe it went well and hoping to hear from them this week!

Glad to hear that, good luck!

Jake
10-23-2014, 11:54 PM
Energy? So many companies I could think of in that sector under the fortune 500 :P
Best of luck to you!

J J
10-24-2014, 12:05 AM
Well best of luck man :) I recently got an office tour of Atlassian, Freelancer.com, Optiver and Google and all people were rather laid back. Even though they were all working for one of the bigger companies in Sydney. Pretty cool companies and a lot of extra benefits such as free food, gym membership, etc.

NKN
10-24-2014, 12:45 AM
Well best of luck man :) I recently got an office tour of Atlassian, Freelancer.com, Optiver and Google and all people were rather laid back. Even though they were all working for one of the bigger companies in Sydney. Pretty cool companies and a lot of extra benefits such as free food, gym membership, etc.

One day you should stop by Chicago.

#PulsebotBuddies4Life (https://villavu.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=PulsebotBuddies4Life)

J J
10-27-2014, 02:42 AM
One day you should stop by Chicago.

#PulsebotBuddies4Life (https://villavu.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=PulsebotBuddies4Life)
Who knows..
#PulseBotWillReignOneDay (https://villavu.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=PulseBotWillReignOneDay)

3Garrett3
10-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Energy? So many companies I could think of in that sector under the fortune 500 :P
Best of luck to you!

Really? I just looked at http://fortune.com/fortune500/ and there's only 5 listed as "Energy" in the top 500. NRG Energy Inc., UGI Corporation, The Williams Companies, Inc., Calpine Corporation, and Energy Future Holdings Corp.

Of those, Calpine Corp. is headquartered in Houston and Energy Future Holdings Corp. is located in Dallas. I say in Texas because that's where P1nky says he's from.

NRG does solar power, they have many assets in Texas (predictably). UGI and Williams don't publish their project locations easily enough for me to find them in 30 seconds so I assume they probably also have stuff in Texas because, Energy.

So I guess I didn't narrow it down too much, but at least we now know he interviewed for one of those 5 companies.

Jake
10-27-2014, 09:30 PM
I categorize energy companies to include Exxon Mobil, Chevron, Hess, ConocoPhillips, Valero, Halliburton, etc.

I am not sure if that's the correct approach, but they do have positions/work in the energy sector, whether it is clean, mining, or drilling.

Really? I just looked at http://fortune.com/fortune500/ and there's only 5 listed as "Energy" in the top 500. NRG Energy Inc., UGI Corporation, The Williams Companies, Inc., Calpine Corporation, and Energy Future Holdings Corp.

Of those, Calpine Corp. is headquartered in Houston and Energy Future Holdings Corp. is located in Dallas. I say in Texas because that's where P1nky says he's from.

NRG does solar power, they have many assets in Texas (predictably). UGI and Williams don't publish their project locations easily enough for me to find them in 30 seconds so I assume they probably also have stuff in Texas because, Energy.

So I guess I didn't narrow it down too much, but at least we now know he interviewed for one of those 5 companies.

3Garrett3
10-27-2014, 10:02 PM
I categorize energy companies to include Exxon Mobil, Chevron, Hess, ConocoPhillips, Valero, Halliburton, etc.

I am not sure if that's the correct approach, but they do have positions/work in the energy sector, whether it is clean, mining, or drilling.

I suppose P1nky may have been broad in his definition too. Anything oil production or petroleum related could apply, which would increase the list pretty significantly, you're right.

P1nky
11-07-2014, 02:50 AM
Hey guys! I just got the call this morning and was offered the position for the internship! I appreciate y'alls help and advice. Also the company is called Kinder Morgan. They claim to be the largest midstream and the third largest energy company and the 4th largest company in North America.

~P1nky

Wetish
11-07-2014, 02:51 AM
Hey guys! I just got the call this morning and was offered the position for the internship! I appreciate y'alls help and advice. Also the company is called Kinder Morgan. They claim to be the largest midstream and the third largest energy company.

~P1nky

Great job man! :D

P1nky
11-07-2014, 02:52 AM
Great job man! :D

Thanks! It all honestly started from here(SRL/Villavu).

Jake
11-07-2014, 03:53 AM
Congratulations on the great news :)
I haven't heard of Kinder since they aren't that common in the north east.
Best of luck to you man, I've seen a common practice where companies like KM keep 90-95% of their interns for a guaranteed full time position after completion of the internship/uni.

Hey guys! I just got the call this morning and was offered the position for the internship! I appreciate y'alls help and advice. Also the company is called Kinder Morgan. They claim to be the largest midstream and the third largest energy company and the 4th largest company in North America.

~P1nky

3Garrett3
11-07-2014, 02:53 PM
Congratulations on the great news :)
I haven't heard of Kinder since they aren't that common in the north east.
Best of luck to you man, I've seen a common practice where companies like KM keep 90-95% of their interns for a guaranteed full time position after completion of the internship/uni.

For the big oil companies in Canada, they typically guarantee interns will be hired when they graduate university. A lot of them offer notably higher salaries for new graduates who have been interns compared to new grads who weren't interns (with their company).

So good luck with the internship, it sounds like a good time!

Owinger
12-11-2014, 06:15 AM
Try to make a few jokes to break the ice.

cometer2500
12-11-2014, 08:57 AM
Talk about your qualities.

ShadowsTM
12-12-2014, 05:45 PM

~P1nky

Congrats man! I started an apprenticeship recently with a UK engineering company, Got to be one of the best choices I've mad and as mentioned before the chance of being offered a position after is extremely likely. Hope all goes well for you man!