PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Echo

Jake
11-06-2014, 07:46 PM
Looks like a Bigger siri but for your home.
Its invitation only.
$99 for prime member, $199 for rest
http://www.amazon.com/echo

Amazon debuts Siri-like digital assistant Echo for your home

The new Amazon Echo answers questions, and lets you buy and play music.*Amazon

Amazon doesn't just want to be there for you when you feel like shopping; it wants to be the center of your home.

The online retail giant on Thursday unveiled*Amazon Echo, a stationary tower activated by the word "Alexa" and voice commands, or through an accompanying mobile app. Similar to other digital assistants -- like Apple's Siri, Microsoft's Cortana or Google's Google Now -- Echo can scour the Web to answer questions, tell the time or check the weather.

"We think it makes everyday life a bit easier - when you have a question or want to do something, all you have to do is ask," a company spokeswoman said.

This is an ambitious -- and likely expensive -- endeavor for Amazon. Unlike other digital assistants, Echo lives as a piece of hardware, not just a layer of software available through a mobile device. It also has built-in speakers and lets users sample and purchase music as well as play that music on demand, according to the company.

The device, which is only available to those who sign up on a waiting list, costs $199, or $99 if you're a Prime subscriber. It will be available in "coming weeks," according to the product page.

"Amazon is clearly in the hardware business -- hardware that is designed to facilitate commerce," BGC analyst Colin Gillis said about the new device. In a promotion video released by Amazon, the user instructs "Alexa" to add wrapping paper to her shopping list.

Amazon has aggressively grown its hardware offerings in the last year, launching multiple products, including a TV streaming box, media streaming stick and a smartphone, on top of its already existing line of Kindles and*tablets. All the devices are designed to highlight Amazon's efforts in providing digital content. Echo not only grows Amazon's line, it gives the company a chance to showcase its music offerings and keep consumers within its ecosystem. Amazon uses content to attract consumers to its $99 Prime subscription service, which includes access to two-day shipping, video and music streaming and an e-book library. What Amazon has found in the last year is that once customers are hooked on the content, they tend to buy more physical items from Amazon's site as well.

While Echo only lets you purchase music, for now, there is potential for Amazon to expand into other types of media or maybe even physical goods, giving the company yet another way to dig deeper into consumer's wallets.

Hoodz
11-06-2014, 08:07 PM
seems like a money waste to me :|

Brandon
11-06-2014, 09:16 PM
This will simply bring in a new age of hackers.. for no benefit at all.. All it does is "let you purchase music atm". This you can do on your phone or tablet or laptop. I doubt anyone really needs to "ask a robot" to buy them music.

Does anyone really buy music from Amazon anyway? I don't know.. I usually went to HMV and Sam's Records but now.. that's gone. iTunes is all that's left :l

I see their efforts but it's wasted. Kind of like the "drone delivery" system they advertised a couple months back. Hello NSA - Hello wallets.

Dark_Flame
11-06-2014, 10:22 PM
Seems very expensive for things that you can simply type in or do on your phone or computer.

Lipcot
11-06-2014, 11:32 PM
if you buy this its because you are the lord of the lazy hheh, its even faster to get the phone and buy the music manually

Jordantimber
11-07-2014, 09:07 AM
Exactly. Not sure what they thought when they bought this product out to sell. Even Prime members will think twice before wasting 100 bucks.