PDA

View Full Version : Need a new gaming project to pass time

Rezozo
11-25-2014, 09:16 PM
Hey guys, its been a while since i'v been on the forums.

Wondering if anyone has a good basic game idea for me.
Looking for something to pass the time, easy - intermediate level java game.

Some things i'v already done:
Pac-man, some of worlds hardest game, Mario (side scrolling), text adventures, basic tetris.

Thanks for the help guys
-Rez

Kevin
11-25-2014, 09:33 PM
Do you really want to stick with Java game programming, or would you consider moving on to other pastures?

Rezozo
11-25-2014, 09:49 PM
Honestly, for now I just wanna stick with java programming. I just find it a bit more fun :)
Also want to try out the new capabilities of java 8, along with utilization of proper multithreading.

Look into C++ gaming though.
-Rez

akarigar
11-25-2014, 10:21 PM
If you want a challenge, try making a simple RPG in 3D. It'll keep you busy for a long time.

Rezozo
11-26-2014, 12:20 AM
I mean, fair enough. It will keep me busy :p
However, I wouldn't consider a proper 3D RPG game to be easy - intermediate in terms of programming with java.

Either way, any ideas for a game?

-Rez

Incurable
11-26-2014, 12:41 AM
However, I wouldn't consider a proper 3D RPG game to be easy - intermediate in terms of programming with java.

-Rez

I agree, so stick to a 2D RPG game, that's perfectly suited for someone with intermediate skills in Java or someone who is past the beginner stage and almost onto the intermediate.

There's a million Java RPG tutorials on YouTube and the Internet, so using them as a guide will make it easier too. Also, there's a few 2D Java game development libraries out there like LWJGL and Slick2D, but if you want to get some big experience under your belt then you should write your own. :D

Good luck, and post a thread to keep us up to date! ;)

rj
11-26-2014, 12:56 AM

-Rez

Yea, a basic Java what I call "2.5D" game would be cool, with graphics like:

http://i.imgur.com/9SWHCIl.png

akarigar
11-26-2014, 01:26 AM

-Rez

I said for a challenge :P

I'd stick to a RPG game either way, it keeps you occupied and you learn a lot. Maybe remake your own Zelda? You can find a lot of the artwork online, so you only have to worry about the coding. Plus, if you're a student, it can essentially land you a game developer intern job easily.

Rezozo
11-26-2014, 08:40 AM
I agree, so stick to a 2D RPG game, that's perfectly suited for someone with intermediate skills in Java or someone who is past the beginner stage and almost onto the intermediate.

There's a million Java RPG tutorials on YouTube and the Internet, so using them as a guide will make it easier too. Also, there's a few 2D Java game development libraries out there like LWJGL and Slick2D, but if you want to get some big experience under your belt then you should write your own. :D

Good luck, and post a thread to keep us up to date! ;)

Yup, currently looking through many of the guides. Definitely will look into LWJGL. Thanks!

That looks like the general RPG idea that popped into my head when RPG was mentioned. Any ideas for a theme?

I said for a challenge :P

I'd stick to a RPG game either way, it keeps you occupied and you learn a lot. Maybe remake your own Zelda? You can find a lot of the artwork online, so you only have to worry about the coding. Plus, if you're a student, it can essentially land you a game developer intern job easily.

Very true. The Zelda idea is very interesting. One of my coding buddies mentioned a multiplayer version of that, which I might try out. And true, I would like to focus on the coding area; so existing artwork does help!

-Rez

Frement
11-26-2014, 09:47 AM
Open universe space RPG with multiplayer thanks.

Rezozo
12-15-2014, 02:11 PM
Space RPG sounds rather interesting actually. I immediately think of a pokemon styled top down view, in space with different adventures per world/planet. Like kingdom hearts, but 2d. Might very well try this!
-Rez

lanadekat
01-02-2015, 03:16 PM

Is that a 2.5D runescape clone?

KeepBotting
01-02-2015, 03:58 PM
Is that a 2.5D runescape clone?

It looks similiar to Paladino76's 2D RS emulator.