PDA

View Full Version : Do you think we'll ever be capable of building a time-machine?

MamiiPapii
01-01-2015, 10:29 PM
The thought of it is scary enough, imo.

Ian
01-01-2015, 10:43 PM
I don't think so.

SlipperyPickle
01-01-2015, 10:47 PM
If someone would invent the time machine, wouldn't they go back in time to invent it earlier? :P

KeepBotting
01-01-2015, 11:09 PM
If a time machine was to be invented at any point in time (:p), wouldn't we have time travelers right now?

SlipperyPickle
01-01-2015, 11:10 PM
If a time machine was to be invented at any point in time (:p), wouldn't we have time travelers right now?

How would you recognize them? :P

KeepBotting
01-01-2015, 11:11 PM
Who's to say they'd be hiding? Why wouldn't they proclaim themselves and show proof of their invention? It's not like we could steal it or anything. We're blocked by the boundary of time xD

NKN
01-01-2015, 11:19 PM
what if they never come to this time.

who would want to come to 2015?

i'm sure anyone claiming to be a time traveler would be written off as a lunatic and generally be non-believed. what if we've already met them, just shunned them and called them liars.

Ian
01-01-2015, 11:54 PM
what if they never come to this time.

who would want to come to 2015?

i'm sure anyone claiming to be a time traveler would be written off as a lunatic and generally be non-believed. what if we've already met them, just shunned them and called them liars.
Yeah, if I was a time traveler I'd choose sometime more interesting than 2015. Unless it turns out that the future sucks and 2015 really is one of the most fun times of the world.

I think one of the biggest problems would be finding somewhere consistent to set up your time machine. You'd probably have to find somewhere that wasn't obstructed by anything in any of the times you wanted to travel to.

Flight
01-02-2015, 12:00 AM
What a paradox to think about...

NKN
01-02-2015, 12:12 AM
Yeah, if I was a time traveler I'd choose sometime more interesting than 2015. Unless it turns out that the future sucks and 2015 really is one of the most fun times of the world.

I think one of the biggest problems would be finding somewhere consistent to set up your time machine. You'd probably have to find somewhere that wasn't obstructed by anything in any of the times you wanted to travel to.

What if its like a little watch

BanditBob
01-02-2015, 12:20 AM
My brain has overloaded :3

SlipperyPickle
01-02-2015, 12:59 AM

Besides that, you'll probably have to consider the continental drift if you'll have to consider obstructions :P

Ian
01-02-2015, 02:37 AM
What if its like a little watch

Yeah but what happens when you accidentally transport yourself back to a time where there's a building where you're standing? Splinters.

Dragonsan
01-02-2015, 09:30 PM
In short, it's not possible to go back in time. Time is a perception that we, as humans, create. So technically, I can "go back in time" by setting my clock back one hour.

In order to elaborate on this, we must talk about how we think the universe functions.

The global "time" that we have set up is a one way street. It is not possible to jump back in human history or in the history of the universe, because there are several paradoxes that prevent us from doing so. For instance: the Grandfather Paradox. This states that if we could go back in time and kill our grandfather, we would also cease to exist; however, if we never existed, does that mean we didn't go back in time in the first place to kill our (nonexistent?) grandfather?

It is possible to make a time machine that leaps INTO the future though. By traveling close to the speed of light (99% the speed of light), a single day of our "time" will be equivalent to an entire year on Earth. At this speed, we would be truly flying into the future. This technology and the slowing of time would allow us to travel extraordinary distances within our lifetime. For instance, a journey to the edge of the galaxy would take only 80 years.

But the real wonder of our journey is that it reveals just how strange the universe is. It is a universe where time runs at different rates, at different places. Where the most extreme objects imaginable -- giant black holes, twist and warp both time and space. It is a place where tiny wormholes exist all around us, and where ultimately, if we could develop the right technology, we could use our understanding of the laws of physics to become time voyagers through the 4th dimension.

Kevin
01-02-2015, 09:36 PM
Yeah but what happens when you accidentally transport yourself back to a time where there's a building where you're standing? Splinters.

I don't think the issue is building a time machine. I think the issue is building a time machine that also functions as a simultaneous extremely complicated teleporter. The Milky Way moves at 828,000 kilometers per hour and the Earth rotates at an additional 1,600 kilometers per hour (in directions that are incredibly hard to quantify considering the concept of NESW doesn't really work in 3D space and we have no existing methods of location determination as is :p). So, if you teleport to 1 hour ago, you'll be at least 820k KM away from where you started. Good luck teleporting further back and getting where you're trying to be as well as the when :p

xqs_me
01-03-2015, 01:47 AM
Wouldn't the problem be getting back? If you teleport yourself and said machine, you would also have to teleport the power needed to operate the machine, less its a self sustaining power, with which would need invented as well.

Jayden C
01-04-2015, 11:27 AM
You can't travel in time though it's possible to slow it down :)

1337botter
01-04-2015, 04:11 PM
I believe that time travel may be possible, because just look in the last 50 years or so we've evolved so much with technology. Sending people to the moon, making computers from the size of rooms to fit in our hands, so really it would be dumb to think it's not possible.:D

rj
01-04-2015, 04:32 PM
I believe that time travel may be possible, because just look in the last 50 years or so we've evolved so much with technology. Sending people to the moon, making computers from the size of rooms to fit in our hands, so really it would be dumb to think it's not possible.:D

but it doesn't make sense...

Joopi
01-05-2015, 02:11 AM
Yes and no.

Time is only a measurement of the movement of matter for any "conscious" animal. Therefore you could create an exact atomic copy of something in the future and call it timetravelling.

but reverting time as a human is impossible because that would be reverting every single atom from state "abc12345" to "abc12344" that means we would re-live the moment infinitly in a never ending loop. And its anyhow impossible. Even if we would create a machine that reverts a certain object it would still affect the rest of the world whichever atom he would have interferied with ever and lost and excess gained until the point he will get reversed to. and he would still not remember it as he would have to live in a pararell universe having everything changed including memory from the point of TT.

So its an obvious no in that way from this kid.

fastler
01-05-2015, 03:00 AM
It's simple really. Let's take a trip together and explore reality as envisioned by me. Space-Time, is laid out before us as a two dimensional plane consisting of axises s and t. While s denotes spatial positioning, a compression of your x-y-z 3D location, t describes time positioning.

Here is where things get complicated. Time, as space, is described using three dimensions, u-v-w. The same way as you might walk down a hallway in three dimensions, you constantly move forward in a three dimensional time. As the Earth moves in our solar-system and our solar-system within the Milky Way and the Milky Way through the universe, try as we might we are never able to stand still in the greater scheme of things. This same concept applies to time. We are constantly in motion, walking down the hallway of time. To move left, right, up, or down in time is illogical and impossible. You are on the hallway-highway of time, constantly moving forward at the pace of your vehicle, which drags you across the s and therefore also t axises. You can look back in time, you can look forward too, but you can only move in one direction. All you can influence is how fast.

Why 3D time? This would accommodate the possibility of various time-lines of existence.

It all makes sense really... or maybe I'm just a tad bit loopy.
Btw, don't ask how to look forward in time, it's against the terms and conditions I signed before moving back to your time. :stirthepot:

tulpiuka
01-08-2015, 10:06 PM
Nothing is impossible, that i am sure of. But it will take a really long time.

Kasi
01-09-2015, 05:10 PM
You can look back in time, you can look forward too, but you can only move in one direction. All you can influence is how fast.

You suggest that time is one direction and equal to all others in other parallel universes. it isn't. time is parallel. Doesn't mean the time in another universe isn't adjacent to our past. I believe we can. but it changes our future singularly and not the outcome of the universe you came from.

acow
01-09-2015, 05:16 PM
nope, I don't think it's physically possible.

Turpinator
01-09-2015, 06:24 PM
but you can only move in one direction. All you can influence is how fast.
so i can set my speed, right? okay. i would like to move at a rate of -1 unit of time speed.

Ball's in your court.

J_R
01-09-2015, 11:18 PM
You give me more than infinite energy, I'll give you a time machine. (At least that's what relativity says)

fastler
01-09-2015, 11:25 PM
so i can set my speed, right? okay. i would like to move at a rate of -1 unit of time speed.

Ball's in your court.

Well, for the most part I was just babbling. But continuing with my insane logic... I never explicitly defined this, but you can only hope to move at a positive speed. To move at a negative pace, or essentially in reverse, through time would take such an amount of energy that is unobtainable. It's a limit. Similar to how travel through space is limited by the speed of light.

I got this
01-10-2015, 12:43 AM
nope, I don't think it's physically possible.

Don't you think its possible that the way we perceive physics is completely wrong? That there could be forces that we don't yet understand, that we are unknowningly controlling when we do experiments, that we will in the future understand, that could possibly completely change the rules of physics as we know them? I mean throughout history, scientists in their respective time periods believe what they know to be truth because it's all they can comprehend. (For the most part) But later everything they believed has been proven wrong?

Sorry if this makes no sense, I haven't slept in over 48 hours.
I tried...

~I Got This

acow
01-10-2015, 01:45 AM
Don't you think its possible that the way we perceive physics is completely wrong? That there could be forces that we don't yet understand, that we are unknowningly controlling when we do experiments, that we will in the future understand, that could possibly completely change the rules of physics as we know them? I mean throughout history, scientists in their respective time periods believe what they know to be truth because it's all they can comprehend. (For the most part) But later everything they believed has been proven wrong?

Sorry if this makes no sense, I haven't slept in over 48 hours.
I tried...

~I Got This

my comment is from what I know to be physically possible, I'm obviously not omnipotent so I'm not saying that it's definitely not possible (merely that I don't [currently] think it to be). It's not possible for the previous scientists to take future learning into account during their research and thus there's no point for us to either (since it's impossible for us to do so).