PDA

View Full Version : Supposedly the raspberry pi 2 is coming out in 6 hours.. 4core 1gb ram

grats
02-02-2015, 03:04 AM
quad core A11 supposedly
1gb of ram
same GPU

we will see in 6-10 hours I guess ;o

unannounced for the most part

oh cool people are posting about it now, been talking to people for hours about it lol

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=98338

guess it's still very rare to find, didn't find on google

via release notes it's confirmed now that they are "ready"

http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/release_notes.txt

The Mayor
02-02-2015, 03:51 AM
That sounds sweet. I've got my B+ running XBMC atm ;)

grats
02-02-2015, 03:57 AM
That sounds sweet. I've got my B+ running XBMC atm ;)

Same here, I hit 60FPS usually when playing video.. I don't even know if I'd want to switch to #2 (https://villavu.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2) , probably not.

I'd use it for server stuff instead

Turpinator
02-02-2015, 07:00 AM
Pi? haha, thats cute.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813190005

The Mayor
02-02-2015, 07:17 AM
Pi? haha, thats cute.

There is a difference between 40 bucks and 200 bucks :p

grats
02-02-2015, 08:13 AM
Pi? haha, thats cute.

Who would ever buy such a piece of junk when you can spend $5000 on a computer?

so many people bitching about this stuff
yet it's the SAME PRICE loooooooool
old one could output 1440p video.
100mbps ethernet port isn't that bad, still saturates 90% of SD card speeds..
the camera port is what's most important to me, the motion detection stuff I've done for labs etc will actually be able to record & encode in WAY better FPS now that the cores are so much sexier

What's the same:

- Same form factor as the model B+ (your enclosures and daughter boards should still fit).

- Same full size HDMI port

- Same 10/100 Ethernet port

- Same CSI camera port and DSI display ports

- Same micro USB power supply connection

What has changed:

- A new turbocharged Broadcom BCM2836 900MHz quad-core system-on-chip with performance at least 6x that of the B+.

- 1GB of RAM

grats
02-02-2015, 10:04 AM
For the last six months we've been working closely with Microsoft to bring the forthcoming Windows 10 to Raspberry Pi 2. Microsoft will have much more to share over the coming months. The Raspberry Pi 2-compatible version of Windows 10 will be available free of charge to makers.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/

EWWWWWWWW

KeepBotting
02-02-2015, 12:46 PM
For the last six months we've been working closely with Microsoft to bring the forthcoming Windows 10 to Raspberry Pi 2. Microsoft will have much more to share over the coming months. The Raspberry Pi 2-compatible version of Windows 10 will be available free of charge to makers.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/

EWWWWWWWWI'm actually really excited to see what Windows 10 has in store. I don't ever plan on transitioning away from GNU/Linux, but I'd like to toss Windows 10 (can we call it Windows X? :D) on a VM or extra partition and try it out. If Microsoft hasn't already screwed it up, it's gonna be really great.

It does not belong on a Pi though.

grats
02-02-2015, 10:54 PM
I'm actually really excited to see what Windows 10 has in store. I don't ever plan on transitioning away from GNU/Linux, but I'd like to toss Windows 10 (can we call it Windows X? :D) on a VM or extra partition and try it out. If Microsoft hasn't already screwed it up, it's gonna be really great.

It does not belong on a Pi though.

that version of 10 is a different version, mostly stripped down GUI etc, wonder what really changed
IoTs version or whatever

the dev preview of 10 has been available for free for months, it's ok.. spartan is pretty much a repackage of chromium with trident engine as far as /g/ can tell.. same as chrome & opera...

KeepBotting
02-02-2015, 11:09 PM
that version of 10 is a different version, mostly stripped down GUI etc, wonder what really changed
IoTs version or whatever

the dev preview of 10 has been available for free for months, it's ok.. spartan is pretty much a repackage of chromium with trident engine as far as /g/ can tell.. same as chrome & opera...

I'd be interested to see /g/'s take on Spartan. Is there a thread archived anywhere?

grats
02-02-2015, 11:51 PM
I'd be interested to see /g/'s take on Spartan. Is there a thread archived anywhere?

massive hate as usual
their take on browser wars is they're all garbage & they just need to change their names so they can "start over"
I'm on there pretty much daily I'd say that's majority.. spartan they "like" especially the web developers there because it's very chromium like and supposedly going to support chrome addons.. so now we can just have 1 set of standards & it'll work on every browser (except probably opera lel, and safari is years behind too)

KeepBotting
02-03-2015, 12:33 AM
massive hate as usual
their take on browser wars is they're all garbage & they just need to change their names so they can "start over"
I'm on there pretty much daily I'd say that's majority.. spartan they "like" especially the web developers there because it's very chromium like and supposedly going to support chrome addons.. so now we can just have 1 set of standards & it'll work on every browser (except probably opera lel, and safari is years behind too)
Yeah I feel you. IE's web standards weren't "standard" at all, to the point where web developers have to dev for every other browser ... then turn around and dev it all again for IE.

Chromium is great but you just know that Microsoft is going to screw it up somehow.

I know nothing about Opera other then it ships with certain versions of Tor. Safari, I'm aware is terrible but not quite IE-level terrible.

Firefox master race.

grats
02-03-2015, 12:48 AM
Yeah I feel you. IE's web standards weren't "standard" at all, to the point where web developers have to dev for every other browser ... then turn around and dev it all again for IE.

Chromium is great but you just know that Microsoft is going to screw it up somehow.

I know nothing about Opera other then it ships with certain versions of Tor. Safari, I'm aware is terrible but not quite IE-level terrible.

Firefox master race.

I don't think opera has ever had tor :P

tor project uses firefox for that too.

I doubt microsoft will ever say what their browser really is.. in the dev preview it acts almost identically to chromium but with trident engine & I've looked at it and how it uses memory etc and it's very chromium like, while not up to the standard cuz trident engine
at least microsoft has the best 64bit browser though.

idc about browser wars at all other than having to change shit to look the same on every one of them... and the only thing I really care about is servo actually going somewhere because a GPUs parallel computing compared to a CPU of the same price is disgusting and GPGPU systems are really the only thing that should exist and it's sad we don't have low level APIs to handle all of the single threaded programs these days.. but really even chromium/chrome are single process per tab, which makes nearly no difference other than more ram usage.. to be able to literally render a web page over multiple cores will be phenomenal & if servo does it right, with the GPU, which is how samsung & mozilla have been working toward for years.. then we'll see a beautiful age where horrible coded sites like vbulletin forums & imgur will not use a billion cpu compared to other sites lel

Tristana
02-03-2015, 06:21 AM
IoTs version or whatever

Its going to have to be an ARM based build of Windows 10 ( for the rpi2) too so theres going to be virtually no app compatibility outside of the metro app store.

grats
02-03-2015, 02:53 PM
Its going to have to be an ARM based build of Windows 10 ( for the rpi2) too so theres going to be virtually no app compatibility outside of the metro app store.

yep true stuff

I wonder if they're going to emulate some type of x86 environment.. I've seen it done to get MS-DOS running on the pi for example, I doubt it's optimal.. for MS-DOS it's fine since it requires like half a mb of ram lol..

Tristana
02-05-2015, 01:13 AM
yep true stuff

I wonder if they're going to emulate some type of x86 environment.. I've seen it done to get MS-DOS running on the pi for example, I doubt it's optimal.. for MS-DOS it's fine since it requires like half a mb of ram lol..

Emulation takes up a lot of cpu . Considering that the rpi2 is no performance monster to say the least, I doubt this would happen. I don't know. Maybe lol. I'd probably still use Linux if I replace my first gen Pi as I just use it for XBMC. Linux is just more mature on the Pi and even the general ARM processor platform as of now.

grats
02-05-2015, 01:18 AM
Emulation takes up a lot of cpu . Considering that the rpi2 is no performance monster to say the least, I doubt this would happen. I don't know. Maybe lol. I'd probably still use Linux if I replace my first gen Pi as I just use it for XBMC. Linux is just more mature on the Pi and even the general ARM processor platform as of now.

What?

The old Raspberry Pi emulates MS-DOS fine.. and has more hardware than the computers did back then.

the new one is ~ 6 times faster

the old raspberry pi is ~4 times faster than the cray 1 which weighed 5.5 tons and consumed 115 kilowatts of power

this new one is like what, 20 times faster than that? lol

Tristana
02-05-2015, 01:55 AM
What?

The old Raspberry Pi emulates MS-DOS fine.. and has more hardware than the computers did back then.

the new one is ~ 6 times faster

the old raspberry pi is ~4 times faster than the cray 1 which weighed 5.5 tons and consumed 115 kilowatts of power

this new one is like what, 20 times faster than that? lol

I wasn't talking about DOS. You could run that on a rock :3. I'm talking about a theoretical emulation of x86 apps on the rPi2 under Windows 10 Pi edition.
EDIT: and I'm saying theoretical because thats highly highly highly unlikely currently. Anyways, I'll probably end up picking a RPi2 up as an upgrade to my first gen for XBMC ( although the first gen runs it smooth enough). That and getting more familiar with Debian and Linux in general. The last time I ran linux extensively was when I ran an LTS of Ubuntu and somehow I screwed up my system trying to install a newer kernel version ( my fault really :p).

grats
02-05-2015, 02:17 AM
I wasn't talking about DOS. You could run that on a rock :3. I'm talking about a theoretical emulation of x86 apps on the rPi2 under Windows 10 Pi edition.
EDIT: and I'm saying theoretical because thats highly highly highly unlikely currently. Anyways, I'll probably end up picking a RPi2 up as an upgrade to my first gen for XBMC ( although the first gen runs it smooth enough). That and getting more familiar with Debian and Linux in general. The last time I ran linux extensively was when I ran an LTS of Ubuntu and somehow I screwed up my system trying to install a newer kernel version ( my fault really :p).

Oh yea I agree
mozilla, google, microsoft etc are pushing javascript/html5 to desktop apps for just everyday apps I guess so that really doesn't matter on the architecture
sadly it really isn't that efficient =/

Tristana
02-05-2015, 08:19 AM
Oh yea I agree
mozilla, google, microsoft etc are pushing javascript/html5 to desktop apps for just everyday apps I guess so that really doesn't matter on the architecture
sadly it really isn't that efficient =/

I suppose so. After all the cloud is more or less platform agnostic. Suppose Microsoft made office avalible for rpi2? The windows rt version is already compiled for arm.