PDA

View Full Version : Need to update my storage/backup hard drive

Hazzah
02-17-2015, 04:08 AM
Howdy,

So I haven't been around for a while (busy with school, plus I quit Runescape so not a lot of interest there) but I was recently backing up some of my media stuff and noticed that my 1tb drive is nearly full (I have ~40gb left on it).

I was wondering if any of you have come across any good deals on 4tb back up drives or external drives and what is the current hard drive market looking like. I know I was looking back in November/December for one and the price doesn't seem to have come down on them at all.

I could reasonably go as high as $120 (what seems to be the current market price) but being a poor college student the more I can save the better!

grats
02-17-2015, 04:23 AM
Random deals on drives.. randomly, just keep an eye out on newegg
if I see one I'll give you a msg, I check for random deals daily

you got a good choice on 4TB though, HUGE durability upgrades vs 3TB and lower.. but 3TB is the peak of failure rates

Hazzah
02-18-2015, 05:15 AM
Yea, thats what I figured I would do. I'm just concerned that if it ever does fail then I will be screwed and have lost a ton of data, but doing anything with RAID is just not in the budget at the moment.

grats
02-18-2015, 10:13 PM
Yea, thats what I figured I would do. I'm just concerned that if it ever does fail then I will be screwed and have lost a ton of data, but doing anything with RAID is just not in the budget at the moment.

a sync drive that is cold storage >>>>>> raid
this way it's turned on like 1 hour a month..

lowest "decent" 4tb drives I see so far are like $140