PDA

View Full Version : Bad move lenovo

grats
02-19-2015, 05:48 AM
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Security-Malware/Potentially-Unwanted-Program-Superfish-VisualDiscovery/m-p/1860408/highlight/true#M1697

J_R
02-19-2015, 09:34 AM
That doesn't surprise me a whole lot tbh. Most people probably won't find out about this and will likely live their merry lives none the wiser, it's the case with most malware. This particular scenario is a bit egregious though, should definitely not be legal.

Brandon
02-19-2015, 12:37 PM
It is exactly like Sony's anti-piracy back door from a few years back..

However, a lot of the security analysts are bs-ing about how bad this really is.

1. It's dangerous only because hackers can grab the private key and use it to create their own certs to spy on you.. But they have to be on the same network as you (IE: coffee shop).. Or have access to you already.

2. If you use Firefox, you don't have this problem at all.

3. Hacker needs access to your computer or the website you frequent most.

I highly doubt they have access to your bank's website. If they already have access to your computer, you're already screwed without super fish' help.

Those security analysts are fishing for press. They're making things seem worse than it really is because it's a big company like Lenovo. Less we forget Google tracks all your info already.

Efurious
02-19-2015, 03:33 PM
Lenovo stands out quite well with screwing up things. A while back (maybe 2005 or 2006), they bought IBM's laptop business including the Thinkpad brand. Between versions T61 and T430 (and its smaller and bigger brothers from said era), there were no good IPS screens included in TP laptops; with the introduction of T430, they threw out the old and famous keyboard as well as its layout and finally, in their newer models, pointing system was ruined. Not to mention stuff in between - BT, WWAN and WLAN card whitelisting for instance.

/end of bitter rant

grats
02-19-2015, 03:43 PM
It is exactly like Sony's anti-piracy back door from a few years back..

However, a lot of the security analysts are bs-ing about how bad this really is.

1. It's dangerous only because hackers can grab the private key and use it to create their own certs to spy on you.. But they have to be on the same network as you (IE: coffee shop).. Or have access to you already.

2. If you use Firefox, you don't have this problem at all.

3. Hacker needs access to your computer or the website you frequent most.

I highly doubt they have access to your bank's website. If they already have access to your computer, you're already screwed without super fish' help.

Those security analysts are fishing for press. They're making things seem worse than it really is because it's a big company like Lenovo. Less we forget Google tracks all your info already.

yea
being able to send tons of malware etc through java & flash as well as steal information doesn't matter either cuz you have to have java & flash installed for that to work
filldisk doesn't matter either ofc

Lenovo stands out quite well with screwing up things. A while back (maybe 2005 or 2006), they bought IBM's laptop business including the Thinkpad brand. Between versions T61 and T430 (and its smaller and bigger brothers from said era), there were no good IPS screens included in TP laptops; with the introduction of T430, they threw out the old and famous keyboard as well as its layout and finally, in their newer models, pointing system was ruined. Not to mention stuff in between - BT, WWAN and WLAN card whitelisting for instance.

/end of bitter rant

yea ironically it's still one of the best

3Garrett3
02-19-2015, 04:30 PM

/end of bitter rant

I have the W530 which is a Thinkpad. It has the silly old-style keyboard with the mouse thing in the middle of the keys (which I consider the "famous" keyboard). I have no bad feelings about it other than the fact it looks like a Thinkpad because they're bulky and ugly IMO. The specs on it are amazing compared to anything I've had before, and I haven't noticed any problems in the year and a bit that I've had it.

What I have heard is that their customer service is god-awful and that ordering online from them is the worst process ever invented. My friend ordered a lenovo (touchscreen model, not sure what #) online while it was on sale, they ran out of parts apparently and told him to wait an extra month, then took his discount off for some reason and he basically fought with them off and on for that whole month to get the discount back. Once he got the laptop though he loved it.

grats
02-19-2015, 04:34 PM
I have the W530 which is a Thinkpad. It has the silly old-style keyboard with the mouse thing in the middle of the keys (which I consider the "famous" keyboard). I have no bad feelings about it other than the fact it looks like a Thinkpad because they're bulky and ugly IMO. The specs on it are amazing compared to anything I've had before, and I haven't noticed any problems in the year and a bit that I've had it.

What I have heard is that their customer service is god-awful and that ordering online from them is the worst process ever invented. My friend ordered a lenovo (touchscreen model, not sure what #) online while it was on sale, they ran out of parts apparently and told him to wait an extra month, then took his discount off for some reason and he basically fought with them off and on for that whole month to get the discount back. Once he got the laptop though he loved it.

I think a month from them is expected since they build as ordered

but that is insane, they don't even have a "out of stock"

3Garrett3
02-19-2015, 05:02 PM
I think a month from them is expected since they build as ordered

but that is insane, they don't even have a "out of stock"

Yeah I think it was an *extra* month compared to the expected time. It had something to do with supply issues on the production end. Then the whole hassle about the discount just made me dread next time I'm shopping for a laptop, but I'll probably shop there first because of how much I like what I've got right now.

grats
02-19-2015, 05:19 PM
Yeah I think it was an *extra* month compared to the expected time. It had something to do with supply issues on the production end. Then the whole hassle about the discount just made me dread next time I'm shopping for a laptop, but I'll probably shop there first because of how much I like what I've got right now.

haha I always love to hear these billion dollar corporations with their "supply issues"
I totally believe them

J J
02-19-2015, 07:05 PM
It is ridiculous how manufacturers ship their products with such a big pile of crap installed on it nowadays. My dad recently got my mother a new laptop, a 599€ Acer ultrabook. Excellent specs for the price, i3-4158u or something with iris 5100 graphics, 120GB SSD and 4GB RAM. But so much bloatware on it, games, McAfee, other shit. Especially annoying for less tech savvy customers.

grats
02-19-2015, 07:46 PM
It is ridiculous how manufacturers ship their products with such a big pile of crap installed on it nowadays. My dad recently got my mother a new laptop, a 599€ Acer ultrabook. Excellent specs for the price, i3-4158u or something with iris 5100 graphics, 120GB SSD and 4GB RAM. But so much bloatware on it, games, McAfee, other shit. Especially annoying for less tech savvy customers.

computers need to come with a boot usb to install other crap these days imo

grats
02-20-2015, 06:20 PM
http://i.imgur.com/mTYErx9.png