PDA

View Full Version : Find your Android phone via Google Search

Jake
04-17-2015, 01:05 PM
Google recently implemented this 2 days ago.

Now its possible to find your Android Phone by typing find my phone in google search.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/google-find-my-phone-android-news/

The tech giant’s latest crazy idea makes it easier than ever to find your phone when you’ve misplaced it.

Simply type “Find my phone,” into Google, and you’ll be shown a map of your phone’s location, along with a few related options to choose from. Your phone can either keep ringing until you find it, or you can remotely lock it, or even wipe it completely if you think it’s been stolen.

After all, as Google puts it, “We’ve all been there — you’ve searched under your car seat, tossed around the sofa cushions and you still can’t find your phone.” It can be traumatizing to lose your phone.

Of course, this only works if you have an Android smartphone with Android Device Manager. If your device meets both of those requirements and is hiding in an excellent spot, just whip out your laptop or desktop, open Chrome, and google, “Find my phone.”

If it’s nearby, you’ll hear it ring. If it’s far away, you’ll see it on the map. Then you can bolt out the door, praying fervently that no one will have stolen it by the time you get there. You can also do all this from the newly updated Google app on another Android device, or via voice commands on Chrome.

It’s an incredibly simple solution to an age-old problem, and it beats the hell out of harassing your friends to call your phone until you find it on top of the fridge or in some other inane place. You can try it for fun right now, if you want.

grats
04-20-2015, 04:28 PM
That's really cool
so all I need is peoples email logins and you can stalk them easier

UrbanSmoke
04-21-2015, 02:03 AM
Pretty neat. If someone is stupid enough to steal your phone and not turn it off...

Hyperion
04-21-2015, 02:45 AM
Isn't this like the Cerberus app for androids? Except I think Google's version is free? I don't think it can turn on the camera and send pics though or survive a wipe/factory reset.

The Killer
04-21-2015, 05:50 PM
Sounds like the only addition is that the search engine directs you to the Android Device Manager which has been around for a while...

Richard
04-21-2015, 06:57 PM
I believe the Android Device Manager (https://www.google.co.uk/android/devicemanager) was capable of this before, but this is so much more convenient.

Once used it after leaving my phone on the bus, and I was able to watch as it looped back round on its route, jump back on briefly a couple of hours later!