PDA

View Full Version : Simplest Form help?

Otter
06-02-2015, 09:02 PM
Hello everyone. I'm just studying for a placement test at my community college and part of the math placement test is operations with positive fractions.

Here are some Practice ?'s

Express 3x3x3x5x5 using exponents

and

write the rate of 400 miles in 8 hours in simplest form?

many of you might think I'm dumb or what ever, lol i was never good at math but CompSci needs me to be so i figured I'd ask one smart community for the help :) thanks to who ever will help!

Citrus
06-02-2015, 09:22 PM
(3^3)*(5^2) or 675^1 if you want to be a smartass

400/8 = 50 mph

KeepBotting
06-02-2015, 09:29 PM
3 * 3 * 3 * 5 * 5 using exponents: (3^3) * (5^2)

Three cubed (27) times five squared (25) equals 675.

Second one is a little weird, depends on the form they want it in. I assume you could do a ratio seeing as they use the term "rate," that'd be 400:8 or 50:1 reduced.
Or you could put it in miles per hour (50 mph)

J_R
06-03-2015, 01:18 AM
While getting the answers might be fine and dandy, you will be in very real trouble if you go in to CS and don't understand the underlying concepts here. A good test to see if you get them is to see if you can use the concept from the first problem to solve the second.

Otter
06-03-2015, 12:18 PM
first of all, thank you guys for helping lol. Okay J_R it's not that i don't understand, its just i haven't really done math in a while haha. But i do understand, if i don't understand this, how can i get into calc or liner algebra.

Fidget
05-08-2017, 02:02 PM
Hello everyone. I'm just studying for a placement test at my community college and part of the math placement test is operations with positive fractions.

Here are some Practice ?'s

Express 3x3x3x5x5 using exponents

and

write the rate of 400 miles in 8 hours in simplest form?

many of you might think I'm dumb or what ever, lol i was never good at math but CompSci needs me to be so i figured I'd ask one smart community for the help :) thanks to who ever will help!

I know this is over two years old, but so is every other post in the Mathematics section. How did the test go? :-) You are not dumb for asking, dumb wouldn't even care enough to be asking these questions.

I find playing around with calculators to solve problems like these useful when trying to learn something new in Maths, so that you can see what's going on. Here's an Exponent Calc http://www.calculator.net/exponent-calculator.html.

Also, breaking it down helps.

Breaking down 3x3x3x5x5:

3x3x3 can be written as: 3^3 (which) = 27
5x5 can be written as: 5^2 (which) = 25
27 * 25 = 675

I'm sure you know already, but the '^' means 'Power of' So '^2 You would call Power Of Two' Or in the case of '^2 it can also be called= Squared' ^3 would be called 'Cubed' or power of three, etc. So 9^3 would be Nine to the power of 3 because 9 is being multiplied by itself three times. Written as (9*9*9) = 9^3. :-)

abhayszambare
11-24-2017, 05:27 AM
i learned a lot here !!