PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop

Akantor
06-24-2015, 12:54 AM
I probably should have asked you guys before purchasing, but can anyone rate the new laptop that I just bought. It's an Asus ROG, model: GL551JWDS71. I'd really like to get some of your guys' opinions on it.

KeepBotting
06-24-2015, 02:04 AM
Gaming laptops are pointless. You'd get more for your money from a desktop in the same price range.

Akantor
06-24-2015, 03:46 AM
I needed a portable computer for college next year. A desktop would do me no good.

adc
06-24-2015, 04:02 PM
You could get a small desktop (http://cdn5.thinkcomputers.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/prod2.jpg Something this size or even smaller) that's miles (think 2-3x or more performance GPU-wise) than that laptop and still have enough to get a low end workhorse laptop for doing word processing and stuff in class.

KeepBotting
06-24-2015, 04:41 PM
I needed a portable computer for college next year.

You'll never even utilize its full potential if you're just going to use it for school. Have fun writing essays on your $1,000 gaming laptop.

adc
06-24-2015, 05:10 PM
You'll never even utilize its full potential if you're just going to use it for school. Have fun writing essays on your $1,000 gaming laptop.

I don't see where he said he was never going to game on it. No need to be snarky, mate.

KeepBotting
06-24-2015, 05:30 PM
I don't see where he said he was never going to game on it. No need to be snarky, mate.

If he's going to game, a desktop would offer far more power for the money, especially if he were to build it himself.

Also, you can't upgrade most of the components in a laptop. What happens when OP gets out of school in five to seven years and his hardware is obsolete?

adc
06-24-2015, 05:33 PM
If he's going to game, a desktop would offer far more power for the money, especially if he were to build it himself.

Also, you can't upgrade most of the components in a laptop. What happens when OP gets out of school in five to seven years and his hardware is obsolete?

I don't see where I disagreed with that statement (in fact, I literally said that in my previous post). What I'm disagreeing with is the need to be snarky because "he's just going to use it for school" (and I don't see where he said that, anyway). I needed a laptop powerful enough that I could do programming on (which is, while not super processor heavy, more intensive than just web browsing) and a desktop wasn't an option for that. If I didn't already have a desktop, I probably would've gotten a gaming laptop so I could game and use it in class for programming.

grats
06-24-2015, 05:37 PM
I needed a portable computer for college next year. A desktop would do me no good.

$100 laptop with some gnu/linux on it + 900 desktop for gaming >

DeniedHacker
06-24-2015, 05:40 PM
Really, If you think you need a really good laptop for doing the programming stuff in school. This is completely wrong... I have done CS with a 300$ laptop.

Edit :
I didn't know what to do with this laptop once I finished school until I found I could convert it into my Simba botting machine.

grats
06-24-2015, 05:50 PM
Really, If you think you need a really good laptop for doing the programming stuff in school. This is completely wrong... I have done CS with a 300$ laptop.

Edit :
I didn't know what to do with this laptop once I finished school until I found I could convert it into my Simba botting machine.

My laptop I used for school lags like shit with just 1 bot going, lol. never had problems with anything, I put nginx + php-fpm + gcc + g++ + kate etc all on it for school, never had issues.

DeniedHacker
06-24-2015, 05:56 PM
My laptop I used for school lags like shit with just 1 bot going, lol. never had problems with anything, I put nginx + php-fpm + gcc + g++ + kate etc all on it for school, never had issues.

It was lagging too when I was using it with Reflection Scripts, but once I started to make and use my own color script, it went back to no lagging

P1nky
06-24-2015, 06:30 PM
^

Biggest mistake of mine was actually buying a MacBook Pro like a fool for about $1400-1500. Got caught in the hype :duh:
Anyone majoring in CS/CIS/MIS/CE/etc. should honestly know better than getting caught with these mainstream laptops, like Grats had said buy a cheap laptop throw Linux in there and buy some hardware, that is the way to go. However, for gaming just build yourself a sick Desktop.

DeniedHacker
06-24-2015, 06:48 PM
Maybe, his whole plan is to play video game during Class Courses!

3Garrett3
06-24-2015, 07:38 PM
Jesus, someone pooped in a lot of Cheerios this morning.

Wouldn't have worked for what I needed in school. I would have needed at least $300-400 to have a mediocre laptop, it wouldn't last the whole 4 years of school though for sure. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to put together a gaming computer to be proud of for the remaining $600-700 either, including monitor, OS, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc.

Gaming laptops are pointless. You'd get more for your money from a desktop in the same price range.

Gaming laptops aren't pointless. There's a lot of benefits to a laptop:

1) You can carry it around. Some of my favourite times in uni involved getting a group of buddies out and playing random video games together, having some beers, and just hanging out while we nuked each other in Civ.
2)It's infinitely smaller than a desktop + monitor + mouse + keyboard. My residence room was built in the 1960s, it was not made for computers. There was no room for any of those things to be on my desk. I had to put my laptop in a drawer when I wasn't using it because I didn't have enough room for a binder + textbook + laptop, that's how small of a desk area we're talking.
3) You can bring it to class/library/labs. I had to do simulations in labs and for homework and we were encouraged to use our own computers (limited supply of computer labs). I got to run a program that solved 500 equations simultaneously, run chemical simulations, and model in CAD on my laptop. Transferring these things from desktops at school to my desktop at home would have given Murphy's Law one more opportunity to screw with my assignment.

If he's anything like me, after using a laptop so often for school, he'll hopefully get a good job and be able to afford a sweet gaming rig. He'll then want to upgrade to something much more powerful because he'll be able to sacrifice the benefits of a laptop just to get the best performance. The whole point is that he's in university and can't afford to be spending more money on a desktop which may inconvenience him.

Honestly, after all the good things you normally contribute around here I'm pretty disappointed to hear you rag on a new member like this. It's out of character and reflects extremely poorly on someone who can normally be counted on for quality, helpful input.

@ OP:

Hopefully you like the new computer. It seems like it should handle everything you can throw at it for the next few years until you get some money saved up for a sick upgrade after school.

grats
06-24-2015, 07:42 PM
Jesus, someone pooped in a lot of Cheerios this morning.

Wouldn't have worked for what I needed in school. I would have needed at least $300-400 to have a mediocre laptop, it wouldn't last the whole 4 years of school though for sure. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to put together a gaming computer to be proud of for the remaining $600-700 either, including monitor, OS, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc.

monitor, os, mouse, keyboard, speakers etc aren't a computer. and every OS worth using is free
besides that I have a $100 laptop I've had for 8 years still works fine.

3Garrett3
06-24-2015, 09:50 PM
monitor, os, mouse, keyboard, speakers etc aren't a computer. and every OS worth using is free
besides that I have a $100 laptop I've had for 8 years still works fine.

Those items are all required for gaming with a computer. If you can buy a laptop with all of them included for 1000, it's a completely unfair comparison to say "you can buy a tower for 1000 that's way better, but to get the same performance you'll actually be paying 2000". Besides that, I doubt your 8 year old $100 computer can do all the things I needed mine to do in university, and there's a possibility that Akantor will need it for those tasks as well.

adc
06-24-2015, 10:03 PM

Edit :

I don't know if you've ever used a modern IDE, but every popular one I've come across is fairly heavyweight compared to a web browser. I didn't get an i7-5960x in a laptop, but you're not going to comfortably get by on some super low end i3 piece of crap. It'll work, but it'll be slow as hell and frustrating to use for anyone used to their computer being snappy.

Also, grats[/MENTION], the ability to not have to completely relearn an OS and work through compatibility for games (DotA 2 doesn't have a Beta client for Reborn on Linux or Mac yet, for example) is totally worth spending $100 on Windows. Just because you can comfortably do what you want on a Linux rig doesn't mean everyone can.

Ian
06-24-2015, 10:10 PM
Those items are all required for gaming with a computer. If you can buy a laptop with all of them included for 1000, it's a completely unfair comparison to say "you can buy a tower for 1000 that's way better, but to get the same performance you'll actually be paying 2000". Besides that, I doubt your 8 year old $100 computer can do all the things I needed mine to do in university, and there's a possibility that Akantor will need it for those tasks as well.

I wouldn't say those extra components would be an extra $1000.
Monitor: $50
Windows 8.1: $50
Mouse and Keyboard: $20
Speakers: $10

Total cost of extras is $130, and can be lower or higher depending on what you want.

grats
06-24-2015, 10:17 PM
I don't know if you've ever used a modern IDE, but every popular one I've come across is fairly heavyweight compared to a web browser. I didn't get an i7-5960x in a laptop, but you're not going to comfortably get by on some super low end i3 piece of crap. It'll work, but it'll be slow as hell and frustrating to use for anyone used to their computer being snappy.

Also, grats[/MENTION], the ability to not have to completely relearn an OS and work through compatibility for games (DotA 2 doesn't have a Beta client for Reborn on Linux or Mac yet, for example) is totally worth spending $100 on Windows. Just because you can comfortably do what you want on a Linux rig doesn't mean everyone can.

"relearn an OS"
>implying people know anything about windows
I've never seen that as a case, in the tens of thousands of people I've dealt with

adc
06-24-2015, 10:29 PM
"relearn an OS"
>implying people know anything about windows
I've never seen that as a case, in the tens of thousands of people I've dealt with

I would love to see a scientific study that shows that. Linux is perfectly fine for enthusiasts, but the average person knows how to do what they need to do (install/uninstall programs, open programs, navigate the file system and so on) in Windows and they would have to relearn how to do that, at least in part, in Linux.

I personally use Windows because it's what I'm used to and know how to use and changing doesn't carry enough benefits (ie. saving $100, for most people) to outweigh the cons.

grats
06-24-2015, 10:49 PM
I would love to see a scientific study that shows that. Linux is perfectly fine for enthusiasts, but the average person knows how to do what they need to do (install/uninstall programs, open programs, navigate the file system and so on) in Windows and they would have to relearn how to do that, at least in part, in Linux.

I personally use Windows because it's what I'm used to and know how to use and changing doesn't carry enough benefits (ie. saving $100, for most people) to outweigh the cons.

yes, and smartphones are so hard for people to learn
lets remember those are linux/bsd based, as well as consoles, DVR's, some cars today, GPS, etc
nobody seems to have any real issues with basic stuff, because it's all the same and your hand is held on every system
opening up package managers and clicking install is so hard vs browsing through possibly hundreds of viruses to get a piece of software
must be why microsoft windows 10 is copying the gnu strategy.

adc
06-24-2015, 10:57 PM
yes, and smartphones are so hard for people to learn
lets remember those are linux/bsd based, as well as consoles, DVR's, some cars today, GPS, etc
nobody seems to have any real issues with basic stuff, because it's all the same and your hand is held on every system
opening up package managers and clicking install is so hard vs browsing through possibly hundreds of viruses to get a piece of software
must be why microsoft windows 10 is copying the gnu strategy.

Smartphones are an entirely different story, and using them as a basis for how similar operating systems are on desktops is silly. Everything else you listed has a custom UI tacked onto it that only gives access to the needed functions and nothing else.

I never made a comparison in terms of whether Linux is "better" than Windows or vice versa or anything like that. I said that people are used to Windows and they know how it works. For the vast majority of people, that familiarity and the comfort of knowing that everything will just "work" (since, let's face it, most things are programmed for Windows first), is totally worth the $100 whether or not Linux is the "objectively better" operating system.

grats
06-24-2015, 11:08 PM
Smartphones are an entirely different story

No they are not.

adc
06-25-2015, 01:02 AM
No they are not.

Yes, they are. Apple and Android have slightly different UIs, but for the most part they function the same way. You install applications largely the same way, the settings pages are mostly the same, and just the general UI works the same. I don't own an iPhone and I haven't had an Apple device in 5+ years, but I have no question that if I picked up an Apple device today I'd be able to do 99.9% of the things I needed to do on it simply because it's very similar to Android.

Linux, on the other hand, is way different than Windows (and Mac different from both) in the way it handles things in general. The last time I had to use the command line for anything in Windows that wasn't school related was probably over six months ago to use the ipconfig command. I took a course on Linux (which is obviously going to be more technical than average use, but still; none of my Windows courses have featured anything more than a few command line sections ever) and we used the command line for just about everything. Linux is far more technical than Windows, and while the average user probably could learn it, there's no real advantage over it compared to Windows. Linux is very enthusiast targeted OS, and there's definitely nothing wrong with it, but the average user should not be getting it in my opinion.

KeepBotting
06-25-2015, 02:50 AM
Honestly, after all the good things you normally contribute around here I'm pretty disappointed to hear you rag on a new member like this. It's out of character and reflects extremely poorly on someone who can normally be counted on for quality, helpful input.

You're right. I'm so sorry, I don't know what came over me. This has happened before, and was the reason I was not allowed to be a part of the community for a long time.

I'm disappointed in myself at this regression.

One dickish post leads to another (and another, ad infinitum) and I have a hard time stopping because I feel like it's "bad" or "weak" to go back on something I've already said, even if I know it's wrong.

This post takes an incredible amount of effort to write. I wanted to pick apart your post and present my counter-arguments. I wanted to ignore the part about me and subsequently stop replying at all. But I won't.

You're wrong on one count though -- this isn't out of character for me, at all. My history at SRL has been checkered at best, and I try my hardest but sometimes I get the best of myself.

I apologize for how I was acting, both to you and to Akantor;. I'm sorry.

rj
06-25-2015, 03:00 AM
Whats with all the hate on gaming laptops? The problem with suggesting a desktop for gaming and a laptop for school work assumes that you are always gaming in the same place.. and OP did say he was going to college so maybe he wants to game some when hes at home and some when hes out of town at school (if that's what hes doing IDK)

adc
06-25-2015, 03:17 AM
Whats with all the hate on gaming laptops? The problem with suggesting a desktop for gaming and a laptop for school work assumes that you are always gaming in the same place.. and OP did say he was going to college so maybe he wants to game some when hes at home and some when hes out of town at school (if that's what hes doing IDK)

I would say that, realistically, the majority of people who purchase Alienware or other gaming laptops don't generally purchase them because they've made a well informed decision to do so, knowing full well that you get better price to performance (and performance in general) out of a self built desktop. That's not to say they don't have their place (you gave pretty much the best example of when one would be good); just that many people think they're the best choice for small form factor gaming systems or something similar. Same thing for prebuilts; they have their place, but many people buy them because they don't know you can build your own or because they're too scared to build their own rather than for a good reason.

J_R
06-25-2015, 04:34 AM
I bought a gaming laptop, mostly for the portability. I didn't have space nor the desire to get a desktop as why would I do that when all of my needs will be satisfied by a laptop that I can trust will last me probably at least 5 years without being a brick like the $300 dell I had freshman year that could barely watch a Youtube video with my LoL window open while running a python program that only ran a 2D FFT on a 256x256 image. BTW, the ASUS laptop is pretty good, some of my friends have it and I can't say they are disappointed.

Perhaps later on if I decide to take on something more graphically intensive than the current two craziest req games (RS and LoL of course) I may consider a desktop.

grats
06-25-2015, 04:38 AM
Yes, they are. Apple and Android have slightly different UIs, but for the most part they function the same way. You install applications largely the same way, the settings pages are mostly the same, and just the general UI works the same. I don't own an iPhone and I haven't had an Apple device in 5+ years, but I have no question that if I picked up an Apple device today I'd be able to do 99.9% of the things I needed to do on it simply because it's very similar to Android.

Linux, on the other hand, is way different than Windows (and Mac different from both) in the way it handles things in general. The last time I had to use the command line for anything in Windows that wasn't school related was probably over six months ago to use the ipconfig command. I took a course on Linux (which is obviously going to be more technical than average use, but still; none of my Windows courses have featured anything more than a few command line sections ever) and we used the command line for just about everything. Linux is far more technical than Windows, and while the average user probably could learn it, there's no real advantage over it compared to Windows. Linux is very enthusiast targeted OS, and there's definitely nothing wrong with it, but the average user should not be getting it in my opinion.

Yes. Identical to nearly all user friendly gnu/linux distros

thus, no they are not. My point entirely, you can pick them up and go.

cosmasjdz
06-25-2015, 04:43 AM
I have Asus N550jk. Costed 850€, Cant compare i7 4720hq to 4790k. But still very good for all games. Can play gta5 high settings without lagg. Asus are always good choise since they unkillable, they never overheat, atleast for me. As of botting i can run 7 simba windows on it,but thats depends on script. Im sure spider eggs would be around 12-14 windows for example.

rj
06-25-2015, 05:09 AM
I would say that, realistically, the majority of people who purchase Alienware or other gaming laptops don't generally purchase them because they've made a well informed decision to do so, knowing full well that you get better price to performance (and performance in general) out of a self built desktop. That's not to say they don't have their place (you gave pretty much the best example of when one would be good); just that many people think they're the best choice for small form factor gaming systems or something similar. Same thing for prebuilts; they have their place, but many people buy them because they don't know you can build your own or because they're too scared to build their own rather than for a good reason.

Well of course not aleinware, but I got a fairly decent 'gaming laptop' for like $950

The Mayor
06-25-2015, 05:38 AM
I have an elitebook 820, which is great for work as it has a 12.5" screen and is pretty light. It's good for throwing in your backpack and also taking traveling.

adc
06-25-2015, 07:26 AM
Yes. Identical to nearly all user friendly gnu/linux distros

thus, no they are not. My point entirely, you can pick them up and go.

I used Ubuntu for my course in college. That, as far as I know, is one of the more popular flavors (though I don't follow Linux too closely, so no idea how that compares in usability) and there was more terminal use in setting that up than there is in a typical year using Windows. Even if (and I would honestly be surprised) a Linux distro existed that was almost exactly the same as Windows in terms of use, you still need the technical know-how to hunt it down and use it.

I think you vastly overestimate the knowledge the average user has to do with their computer because you can't imagine not knowing certain things; for someone who thinks that the internet is your browser or only uses the computer to Facebook and check gmail, the knowledge that allows you to know whether a particular Linux distro is right for them is just not there. You might be able to pick an easy to use distro out of the hundreds or thousands out there, but the average person won't have any idea what any of it means.

grats
06-25-2015, 08:33 AM
I used Ubuntu for my course in college. That, as far as I know, is one of the more popular flavors (though I don't follow Linux too closely, so no idea how that compares in usability) and there was more terminal use in setting that up than there is in a typical year using Windows. Even if (and I would honestly be surprised) a Linux distro existed that was almost exactly the same as Windows in terms of use, you still need the technical know-how to hunt it down and use it.

I think you vastly overestimate the knowledge the average user has to do with their computer because you can't imagine not knowing certain things; for someone who thinks that the internet is your browser or only uses the computer to Facebook and check gmail, the knowledge that allows you to know whether a particular Linux distro is right for them is just not there. You might be able to pick an easy to use distro out of the hundreds or thousands out there, but the average person won't have any idea what any of it means.

Which is why it's easy for them to learn, because all they do is browse the internet
I deal with this in the thousands of persons, it's clear you've never dealt with it

adc
06-25-2015, 12:04 PM
I've seen people who only browse the internet struggle to adapt to Windows 7 from XP, but ok.

Would still love to see examples of anything you've brought up.

Brandon
06-25-2015, 01:18 PM
I've seen people who only browse the internet struggle to adapt to Windows 7 from XP, but ok.

Would still love to see examples of anything you've brought up.

A: My mom. She's pretty much a computer. You tell her what to do, and she can do it. Without telling her, she can do nothing. She needs 100% perfect instructions. It's like writing assembler trying to instruct her.

As the guy who only ever uses laptops (haven't owned a desktop since 1998), you can get through CS with a 300$ laptop. I bought some cheap HP compaq and it worked fine for school. Although, it was heavy as hell.

I have 3 laptops: Asus S56CM (hackintosh), Macbook Pro 2015 (maxed out), HP Compaq (forgot the model). I wouldn't buy a Macbook Pro for CS at all.

As for Linux being easier than Windows, I agree to some extent. For CS and computer programming stuff, it's a ton better. For everyday school use, I would argue otherwise. CAD, Pro-Engineering WildFire, 3DS max, etc.. all designed for Windows. A lot of schools automatically use Windows. You log in with your student ID on Windows, etc.. That's the only reason.

But if you ever tried Linux Mint, it's just as easy to use as Windows (if not easier).

----

I think you're underestimating the knowledge of the average user. Give them time and force them to use a certain device a certain way, they will learn it without a doubt. We went from Nokia's to Palm Pilots to iPhones and Androids.

P1nky
06-25-2015, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't buy a Macbook Pro for CS at all.

And that is where I went wrong, thinking Parallel or Bootcamp would do the job but honestly it doesn't... It's super annoying.

adc
06-25-2015, 03:37 PM
A: My mom. She's pretty much a computer. You tell her what to do, and she can do it. Without telling her, she can do nothing. She needs 100% perfect instructions. It's like writing assembler trying to instruct her.

As the guy who only ever uses laptops (haven't owned a desktop since 1998), you can get through CS with a 300$ laptop. I bought some cheap HP compaq and it worked fine for school. Although, it was heavy as hell.

I have 3 laptops: Asus S56CM (hackintosh), Macbook Pro 2015 (maxed out), HP Compaq (forgot the model). I wouldn't buy a Macbook Pro for CS at all.

As for Linux being easier than Windows, I agree to some extent. For CS and computer programming stuff, it's a ton better. For everyday school use, I would argue otherwise. CAD, Pro-Engineering WildFire, 3DS max, etc.. all designed for Windows. A lot of schools automatically use Windows. You log in with your student ID on Windows, etc.. That's the only reason.

But if you ever tried Linux Mint, it's just as easy to use as Windows (if not easier).

----

I think you're underestimating the knowledge of the average user. Give them time and force them to use a certain device a certain way, they will learn it without a doubt. We went from Nokia's to Palm Pilots to iPhones and Androids.

It's not that they're completely incapable, it's that it takes a fair amount of time and effort, and is in general not worth it to the average user to sink that time into it when they could just purchase Windows.

Thomas
06-25-2015, 05:19 PM
I wouldn't say those extra components would be an extra $1000.
Monitor: $50
Windows 8.1: $50
Mouse and Keyboard: $20
Speakers: $10

Total cost of extras is $130, and can be lower or higher depending on what you want.

Well I agree that most of the parts used in current laptops are along those price ranges. Besides maybe the panel.
But if you would buy a gaming laptop, you would also buy a decent mouse and keyboard. Same goes for speakers or headphones.

And for the mac discussion:
I would only buy a macbook for 1 reason:
The limited amount of options available. (Makes it so easy to find the one that fits you)

I wouldn't waste the money on it though.

I would have also recommended a desktop and cheap laptop (no discrete gfx card, small and portable, everything to save battery such as a small ssd, decent screen).

lolskilla
06-30-2015, 08:12 PM
I think you got a sweet laptop man. Everyone has already pointed out the obvious about computer being more efficient... but its a laptop. Different uses, so congrats. Sweet pick, enjoy it dude