PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing New Laptop

KingKhaos
07-06-2015, 05:58 PM
I'll be purchasing a new laptop for college and am looking at something that's thin and light. Does not have to be super powerful...do you guys think I should buy one this summer or wait until the fall? I heard that the new wave of laptops with wireless charging is coming out in the fall...have you guys heard anything about this?

J_R
07-06-2015, 07:01 PM
lolwirelesscharging

If you want something and you don't care much about performance you might as well just get one now.

anth_
07-06-2015, 07:13 PM
If you want something reliable and fairly decent I'd go for a Thinkpad. I got my x201 (12.5", i5 2.53Ghz quad core, 8GB ram) used for £170. I'd trust it more than buying a new laptop to be honest as they're fairly indestructible. Put an ssd in it and it's awesome. Sadly I also modded the screen which failed - maybe get a newer model? :P
The keyboard is amazing and once you get used to the touchpoint you probably won't use the trackpad much.

That's the only thing bad about the x series is that their screens aren't great if you're buying an older one. They're usable, but I want my HD! (buy an x220/x230 instead)

P1nky
07-06-2015, 08:53 PM
I find the wireless charging pretty cool, I'd wait; But be prepared to pay big bucks for the new technology. Also for the people who haven't heard of it:
http://iq.intel.com/wireless-charging-breathes-new-life-devices/

lolskilla
07-07-2015, 03:34 AM
thinkpads are tight, im with anth

anth_
07-07-2015, 07:03 PM
thinkpads are tight, im with anth

The keyboard man, it's so good! :D

rj
07-07-2015, 07:08 PM
I'm assuming since you don't want it to be powerful then you don't want to spend much? P1nky makes a good point, your gonna pay hard for new technology

lolskilla
07-07-2015, 09:32 PM
http://flash.newegg.com/electronics/32

:) have fun

Thomas
07-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Im planning on buying a T450 or L450 or their next gen counterparts.
I also think w10 might mean some cheaper laptops on release with some sweet summer deals.

KingKhaos
07-08-2015, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Also forgot to mention one thing...the laptop I have is currently fine (super thin and light - like a Macbook Air) - the only thing wrong with it is that it has a bad power supply which could potentially fail. Therefore it is not very urgent that I get a new one!

anth_
07-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Also forgot to mention one thing...the laptop I have is currently fine (super thin and light - like a Macbook Air) - the only thing wrong with it is that it has a bad power supply which could potentially fail. Therefore it is not very urgent that I get a new one!

Is it worth fixing the power supply? (or the charger, do you mean?)

KingKhaos
07-08-2015, 05:20 PM
Is it worth fixing the power supply? (or the charger, do you mean?)

It's the power supply - as in sometimes it can't handle powering hard drives and crashes. Frankly, I got this computer about 3 years ago as a temporary thing - thought there would be better computers coming out soon. Turns out that I haven't been satisfied with the new laptops that have been coming out =/

anth_
07-08-2015, 05:32 PM
It's the power supply - as in sometimes it can't handle powering hard drives and crashes. Frankly, I got this computer about 3 years ago as a temporary thing - thought there would be better computers coming out soon. Turns out that I haven't been satisfied with the new laptops that have been coming out =/

Fair enough. You might be able to buy a psu as a spare part and replace it if you wanted.

Or buy a thinkpad! :D (I'm probably biased)

lolskilla
07-08-2015, 09:41 PM
Fair enough. You might be able to buy a psu as a spare part and replace it if you wanted.

Or buy a thinkpad! :D (I'm probably biased)

no you're not, thinkpads are dope. I have two thinkpads from 2007 and they run like champs. Upgrades ram and did some maintenance on them, they still go so well. Only weak spot is the battery, but seriously, if you treat the battery well it will last long

Ian
07-08-2015, 09:59 PM
no you're not, thinkpads are dope. I have two thinkpads from 2007 and they run like champs. Upgrades ram and did some maintenance on them, they still go so well. Only weak spot is the battery, but seriously, if you treat the battery well it will last long

Currently using a low-end thinkpad (R60) from 2007. Only thing that isn't working well is the battery, which only holds 30 minutes of charge now.

anth_
07-08-2015, 10:07 PM

Currently using a low-end thinkpad (R60) from 2007. Only thing that isn't working well is the battery, which only holds 30 minutes of charge now.

They're beast ;) Only thing is that Lenovo were shipping them with malware (superfish) a few months back. Didn't concern me because I don't run windows.

Hyperion
07-09-2015, 12:28 AM
I wouldn't recommend the wireless charging. It's probably not what you think it is, as was the case with phones. Phones, you put on a specific platform (maybe with a specific case that came with it, I'm not sure on this) and it charged, although much slower than cable charging. Until they perfect it and make it more efficient than cable charging, you've got no reason to switch to it. Give it some time and see what you think of it afterwards after researching.

They're beast ;) Only thing is that Lenovo were shipping them with malware (superfish) a few months back. Didn't concern me because I don't run windows.

Wasn't that for the brand new thinkpads? And didn't they fix that issue? I remember /g/ going crazy about it, talking about "the end is nigh".
If you were to get a thinkpad, preferably used, where would be an ideal place to get one? I'm not sure how safe eBay would be with electronics purchasing and whether something breaks or not.

KeepBotting
07-09-2015, 12:30 AM
I wouldn't recommend the wireless charging. It's probably not what you think it is, as was the case with phones. Phones, you put on a specific platform (maybe with a specific case that came with it, I'm not sure on this) and it charged, although much slower than cable charging. Until they perfect it and make it more efficient than cable charging, you've got no reason to switch to it.
I can't imagine that ever becoming more useful than cable charging. You can't even move the phone off the platform! But you can get a 20-foot USB cable (http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Universal-Cable-Computer-Charger/dp/B009LF15TU)... :p

lolskilla
07-09-2015, 01:55 AM
I can't imagine that ever becoming more useful than cable charging. You can't even move the phone off the platform! But you can get a 20-foot USB cable (http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Universal-Cable-Computer-Charger/dp/B009LF15TU)... :p

wireless charging lol.... unless you can use fresh money as toilet paper, I really don't see why you would need this yet. Everyone else on this thread who advises against it, I agree with them. chances are it is inefficient and just frivolous at this point. Wait on it :D

anth_
07-09-2015, 01:57 AM
Wasn't that for the brand new thinkpads? And didn't they fix that issue? I remember /g/ going crazy about it, talking about "the end is nigh".
If you were to get a thinkpad, preferably used, where would be an ideal place to get one? I'm not sure how safe eBay would be with electronics purchasing and whether something breaks or not.

Yep, only for the new ones and it's for pre-installed windows. It's fair enough that people should go barmy about it I think; wtf were Lenovo thinking?

I got my x201 from http://www.scctrade.co.uk/ but that's in the UK. £170 and warranty. The great thing is that you can repair parts really easily due to the hardware manual anyway. I did put a custom screen in mine and it broke, but I think that was my fault :P

lolskilla
07-09-2015, 03:53 AM
Yep, only for the new ones and it's for pre-installed windows. It's fair enough that people should go barmy about it I think; wtf were Lenovo thinking?

I got my x201 from http://www.scctrade.co.uk/ but that's in the UK. £170 and warranty. The great thing is that you can repair parts really easily due to the hardware manual anyway. I did put a custom screen in mine and it broke, but I think that was my fault :P

cant imagine using a stock hdd. what a fail on so many levels by lenovo though. for the malware to go through that many levels of QC