PDA

View Full Version : Good 'ole windows 10. Giving us easy to understand error messages.

Taric
07-30-2015, 06:19 AM
http://images.bidnessetc.com/content/uploads/images/source5/3dtq5qp.png

srlMW
07-30-2015, 06:38 AM
How did you get win10? I'm still running 9! ;)

GetHyper
07-30-2015, 11:11 AM
That is brilliant.. I'm waiting for my acknowledgement to download.

srlMW
07-30-2015, 11:37 AM
That is brilliant.. I'm waiting for my acknowledgement to download.
You can actually jump the cue by manually downloading it here (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10).

KeepBotting
07-30-2015, 11:40 AM
Hmm, nope. Still running GNU/Linux.

And still running 7 on the one Windows machine I own.

acow
07-30-2015, 12:57 PM
you need to talk to it via picking up a goddamn mic

J_R
07-30-2015, 01:33 PM
Windows trying to be smart...every other windows sucks really bad so they skip 9, yet the curse lives on...

GetHyper
07-30-2015, 02:04 PM
You can actually jump the cue by manually downloading it here (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10).

Ah thanks, might grab it after work.

Calluminati
07-30-2015, 05:46 PM
Is there free upgrades for people who have paid for 7/8? Read that somewhere

GetHyper
07-30-2015, 06:59 PM
Is there free upgrades for people who have paid for 7/8? Read that somewhere

Yep.

Emarian
07-30-2015, 07:05 PM
Hmm, nope. Still running GNU/Linux.

And still running 7 on the one Windows machine I own.

^^ This (gratz on the proper nomenclature by the way). GNU/Linux will always be superior.

Lucidity
07-30-2015, 07:20 PM
See yuh soon.

http://puu.sh/jj8y0/354896411a.png

Adieux
07-30-2015, 08:35 PM
Just installed this, really liking the improved UI. Boot times/shut down times are nice.
Did a fresh install haven't gotten any weird errors yet, don't know how people can still be using windows 7 haha

grats
07-30-2015, 08:47 PM
lel windows 10
so bad

Clutch
07-30-2015, 08:50 PM
Vista > 10

Lucidity
07-30-2015, 08:51 PM
Well shoot, product didnt activate

Justin
07-30-2015, 09:51 PM
Well shoot, product didnt activate

Any chance you did a fresh install? Microsoft said it's a free 'Upgrade', the solution is to do a Upgrade then use the built-in utility do 'Restore' windows to a fresh copy.

Lucidity
07-30-2015, 10:28 PM
Any chance you did a fresh install? Microsoft said it's a free 'Upgrade', the solution is to do a Upgrade then use the built-in utility do 'Restore' windows to a fresh copy.

I used the automatic updater - It didn't register my product and it said my activation key is blocked.

fastler
07-31-2015, 03:16 AM
I used the automatic updater - It didn't register my product and it said my activation key is blocked.

Hmm, yeah I wonder if they will detect I have a *cough**cough* edition too.

Lucidity
07-31-2015, 03:27 AM
Hmm, yeah I wonder if they will detect I have a *cough**cough* edition too.

I had a legitimate product key. I reverted back to 8.1, ran some phone activation for my PC and it reset the uses on my code..then it worked on win10

Incurable
07-31-2015, 06:57 AM
don't know how people can still be using windows 7 haha

Because it works perfectly fine, Windows 8 was a total piece of crap, and Windows 10 hasn't been out long enough to even consider switching to it. :p

Adieux
07-31-2015, 07:45 AM
Because it works perfectly fine, Windows 8 was a total piece of crap, and Windows 10 hasn't been out long enough to even consider switching to it. :p

I've used windows 8 since it came out and it was perfectly fine, besides the start screen which I agree was a bad decision. On a technical level Windows 8 was far superior than windows 7.
Faster boot times, better task managing, better security, wider support for stuff like USB 3.0/ISO files/Virtual drives.

It was honestly an all around better operating system. I guess people had trouble dealing with its interface, but there were 3rd party apps for the start button so still kind of doesn't make sense as to why hold off on such a major upgrade.

Incurable
07-31-2015, 08:00 AM
I've used windows 8 since it came out and it was perfectly fine, besides the start screen which I agree was a bad decision. On a technical level Windows 8 was far superior than windows 7.
Faster boot times, better task managing, better security, wider support for stuff like USB 3.0/ISO files/Virtual drives.

It was honestly an all around better operating system. I guess people had trouble dealing with its interface, but there were 3rd party apps for the start button so still kind of doesn't make sense as to why hold off on such a major upgrade.

If I need a third party application to fix the interface, then it's probably not any good to begin with. There's also the fact that Windows 7 is still being supported, it hasn't reached the end of its life cycle, and upgrading to 8 and now 10 would give me literally nothing that I don't already have or can't get with third party software. :p I have no reason to change, and until there's a good reason to swap, I'll stick to 7.

The Mayor
07-31-2015, 01:37 PM
If I need a third party application to fix the interface, then it's probably not any good to begin with. There's also the fact that Windows 7 is still being supported, it hasn't reached the end of its life cycle, and upgrading to 8 and now 10 would give me literally nothing that I don't already have or can't get with third party software. :p I have no reason to change, and until there's a good reason to swap, I'll stick to 7.

Windows 8 was much faster and more snappy than windows 7, hands down. The only bad thing about it was the poor integration of all the 'tablet stuff' such as the metro start screen. Windows 10 has kept all the good things about windows 8, and fixed all the nasty things. It will no doubt be the best OS Microsoft has ever produced. If you come from windows 7 and you've never tried windows 8 then you will have to do a bit of relearning ;)

GetHyper
07-31-2015, 05:01 PM
Finally getting round to downloading it, will get my clean install done this weekend.

NKN
07-31-2015, 05:49 PM
I still need a windows 7 key or I can't get 10.

Hashtag plebian status.

fastler
08-01-2015, 02:50 PM
I had a legitimate product key. I reverted back to 8.1, ran some phone activation for my PC and it reset the uses on my code..then it worked on win10

I had some funny phone business like that with my desktop, which runs legit Win7. My laptop on the other hand, had a smooth upgrade from Win8.1 and no key nonsense; can't complain.

Adieux
08-01-2015, 03:18 PM
Windows 8 was much faster and more snappy than windows 7, hands down. The only bad thing about it was the poor integration of all the 'tablet stuff' such as the metro start screen. Windows 10 has kept all the good things about windows 8, and fixed all the nasty things. It will no doubt be the best OS Microsoft has ever produced. If you come from windows 7 and you've never tried windows 8 then you will have to do a bit of relearning ;)

Yeah been using it for a couple days and its really impressed me tbh. The animations, UI and just over all look and feel of the OS are nice, 1st party support of multiple workspaces is a cool feature.
Not to mention when game developers start implementing Direct X 12, the boost to in game performance will be nuts.

Now I just need to get one of those fancy sense eye cameras so it can open my computer without a password haha.

I still need a windows 7 key or I can't get 10.

Hashtag plebian status.
If in a couple weeks you still need this key let me know! I go back to school and will more than likely get access to microsofts dream spark and grab you a key for windows 7/8 and you can just upgrade to 10

NKN
08-01-2015, 03:57 PM
Yeah been using it for a couple days and its really impressed me tbh. The animations, UI and just over all look and feel of the OS are nice, 1st party support of multiple workspaces is a cool feature.
Not to mention when game developers start implementing Direct X 12, the boost to in game performance will be nuts.

Now I just need to get one of those fancy sense eye cameras so it can open my computer without a password haha.

If in a couple weeks you still need this key let me know! I go back to school and will more than likely get access to microsofts dream spark and grab you a key for windows 7/8 and you can just upgrade to 10

I would probably love you tbh.

The Mayor
08-01-2015, 04:34 PM
I would probably love you tbh.

Or you can just fresh install and 'activate' it ;)

rj
08-01-2015, 04:53 PM
So if I install windows 10 do I have to reinstall word, simba and all my other stuff?

KeepBotting
08-01-2015, 05:03 PM
Yeah been using it for a couple days and its really impressed me tbh. The animations, UI and just over all look and feel of the OS are nice, 1st party support of multiple workspaces is a cool feature.A feature that GNU/Linux has had for almost a decade, mind you.

If Microsoft would just support OpenGL instead of clinging to the money-grabbing corporate-sponsored scapegoat that is DirectX, game performance would already be nuts.

Ian
08-01-2015, 05:36 PM
A feature that GNU/Linux has had for almost a decade, mind you.

If Microsoft would just support OpenGL instead of clinging to the money-grabbing corporate-sponsored scapegoat that is DirectX, game performance would already be nuts.

What's stopping game performance from being nuts on GNU/Linux? Must be a bit more to it than embracing OGL.

Brandon
08-01-2015, 05:51 PM
What's stopping game performance from being nuts on GNU/Linux? Must be a bit more to it than embracing OGL.

The API. OpenGL API is still just pure C. Direct-X is C & C++ where C++ is the main language used and allows "Object-Oriented" programming but still allows procedural if you so wish.

Both has pros and cons but API & Structure is the main one.

NKN
08-01-2015, 11:51 PM
Or you can just fresh install and 'activate' it ;)

but then i cant claim the free upgrade.

tried that already

KeepBotting
08-01-2015, 11:52 PM

POSIX vs Win32. Developers only developing for Windows because Windows is where all the Call of Doody players are.

GNU/Linux fully supports both rendering libraries. If you can get a game to run (natively or using a compatibility layer) you'll have equally stellar performance no matter which one you use. The problem is that the Wine project's re-implementation of the Win32 API isn't complete, so some games (esp. recent titles) that are only compiled for Windows don't install, much less run.

Windows has excellent support for DirectX, since they own it & make money off of it. Even though OpenGL is the superior rendering library, Microsoft won't support it worth a damn because it competes with DirectX.

Fisher
08-02-2015, 03:37 AM
Vista is still my one and only.

GetHyper
08-02-2015, 06:12 AM
So if I install windows 10 do I have to reinstall word, simba and all my other stuff?

Depends if you upgrade or clean install - No/Yes

Can't say I agree with your choice but have fun!

rj
08-02-2015, 09:13 PM
Welp, the "start menu" doesn't even work for me, chrome bugged out couldn't click any links, then the bottom task bar completely broke I was unable to click any of the apps. After that windows explorer crashed so I opened task manager to close it at which point task manager crashed

Disappointed so far, restarted computer so far everything is working except the start menu

EDIT: currently trying to fix the start menu bug by typing in a command in powerhsell I found online. turns out I can't even right click 'powershell.exe' without the windows explorer crashing

Might aswell downgrade back to windows 8.1. I've encountered more issues (and by issues I mean the type of issues you expect to have with windows XP) using windows 10 for the past 15 minutes than I have the past 2 years I have used windows 8/8.1. I can't try to fix what I need to fix if the windows explorer window is stuck in place and unable to be minimized or closed. If I minimize chrome then I want be able to re-open it again.

EDIT 2 task bar not working again.

EDIT 3 right clicking anything in windows explorer crashes it. I'm guessing the custom start menu I had with windows 8.1 could be causing these problems, we will see

IF YOU HAVE 'CLASSIC SHELL' or any other third party program to act as a start menu for windows 8/8.1 UNINSTALL/DISABLE (you can find a manager for shell stuff here:http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html) it before you upgrade to windows 10. It will f*ck your sh*t up like it did to me above.

J_R
08-06-2015, 08:13 AM

Vista sucked, you should ask for a downgrade to xp or something

rj
08-06-2015, 08:29 PM
Vista sucked, you should ask for a downgrade to xp or something

Meh I'd rather have vista than XP