PDA

View Full Version : Activity

Kyle
10-12-2015, 09:53 PM
It seems to me that the activity level in general has been incredibly low, especially within OSR. I have been super busy with school and have lost virtually all motivation to continue with reflection due to the sole fact that it truly seems that the only people who use it, goldfarm. So please answer this poll so I can see where to go from here..

Leafy
10-12-2015, 10:16 PM
I did so for a min back in the summer, up to beginning of school year. I'd love to get back into it with deadman mode coming out soon, but to be honest, I've just never been that good and the community doesnt look capable of supporting my relapse.

Gf Fagex
10-13-2015, 01:51 AM
I use this site for virtually every skill and it helps me save time while im in college to enjoy the game. I would really appreciate it if you could keep the hooks up to date.. Thanks bro :)

kiwikiwi
10-13-2015, 03:46 AM
Let's create a competition around it? :)

Bulbasaur
10-13-2015, 06:46 AM
We need more people to share their knowledge. :)

captainblast
10-13-2015, 08:02 AM
We need more people to share their knowledge. :)

Contributing as well. I'm sure elfy wouldn't mind some help with reflection, shit anything simba related i'm sure people would appreciate the help. The dev's do so much for this community and I kind of feel bad the lack of respect they get and then most the people just leach scripts.

Blak Fishy
10-13-2015, 08:52 AM
Yeah I was always feeling like the contributions have been really low. I'll release a nice multi-skill script in the next week. I also think there are plenty of people who use this but do not post much like me.

lizon
10-13-2015, 10:39 AM
Even thought i was using reflection to get me into scripting there seems to be a lot of people abusing it, went to the yew logs in f2p and a lot less bot now

OneWish
10-13-2015, 01:08 PM
It is all I script in. Reflection makes sense. If you could get me up to speed on how to work with hooks I'd be glad to help you.

Firecaper
10-13-2015, 09:39 PM
Reflection is the best! We really appreciate your work and the time you take to put out these hooks. Please continue :( Dont let reflection scripting in Simba die </3

Harrier
10-15-2015, 04:44 PM
At the end of the day with you been busy with school and more and more hook breaks you will start to struggle to maintain the updater. If you don't have the time it will most likely be for the best that you do give up with reflection and give people plenty of warning, so if someone wants to they can take over or they can update their script.

AFools
10-16-2015, 08:23 AM
At the end of the day with you been busy with school and more and more hook breaks you will start to struggle to maintain the updater. If you don't have the time it will most likely be for the best that you do give up with reflection and give people plenty of warning, so if someone wants to they can take over or they can update their script.

Oh; i really hope reflection doesn't become phased out, like pascal.. Aerolib/Reflection script are slowly increasing and being released. With what is released there is enough knowledge to produce all kinds of scripts.

Kyle
10-16-2015, 12:17 PM
Oh; i really hope reflection doesn't become phased out, like pascal.. Aerolib/Reflection script are slowly increasing and being released. With what is released there is enough knowledge to produce all kinds of scripts.

Well since you mention that, honestly one of the more frustrating parts of maintaining the reflection include is the fact that many (most) errors that people have with reflection is due to people using it with Aerolib. I then look at the script and they use like 3 functions from AL, all of which are within the reflection include itself.. If you're going to make a reflection script, use reflection. If you're going to make a color script, use color. If there's a function you need that isn't in reflection, make a request for it, easy as that..

tls
10-16-2015, 03:07 PM
It is of my opinion that these includes have always been better as group projects. Find a few willing parties and get organized ;)

Kyle
10-16-2015, 05:28 PM
It is of my opinion that these includes have always been better as group projects. Find a few willing parties and get organized ;)

That is always the tough part haha

NKN
10-16-2015, 09:07 PM
I voted no because I personally don't think it's worth the time of day anymore at the current rate.

With only one person, maintaining a library is difficult, especially one where you have to keep an updater going as well.
If reflection was more popular and wasn't just primarily used for easy goldfarming then sure, it'd be a worth-while endeavor, but as it is now, just one person writing/maintaining doesn't seem to be worth it.

/my2cents

tls
10-16-2015, 09:20 PM
That is always the tough part haha

Ya, I tried. Failed. Tried again 6 months later. Gave up. Now I just don't have the time.

Kyle
10-20-2015, 04:42 PM
Alright so it does seem like there is still a fair bit of interest in this. I actually have been working on the rewrite of my updater the past few days and am about halfway done, once that is finished we will be back to near instant updates again. I would still like if some people who may have some private scripts to start posting them to get some life back in the forums.

Could someone who is active with OSR add me on skype and let me know when ever a update happens? As of now it seems like Fitta; is afk and I have no other way to know when there is an update through my phone.. Thanks!

acow
10-20-2015, 09:06 PM
Alright so it does seem like there is still a fair bit of interest in this. I actually have been working on the rewrite of my updater the past few days and am about halfway done, once that is finished we will be back to near instant updates again. I would still like if some people who may have some private scripts to start posting them to get some life back in the forums.

Could someone who is active with OSR add me on skype and let me know when ever a update happens? As of now it seems like Fitta; is afk and I have no other way to know when there is an update through my phone.. Thanks!

Fitta might be gone for good due to pursuing his dream job of beating people up for money. If he ever gets on for a little bit I'll ask if he's cool with releasing some more of his scripts in the same way that he released wyverns (he actually had quite a nice little library of scripts that probably still work / just need to be revised due to reflection updates, that I'm pretty sure he never gave out to anybody other than myself, obviously ignoring the scripts that he sold offsite), unless you think it'd be pointless if they won't be maintained.

Also, I unfortunately had to cut out focusing on osrs without having an experienced user like fitta to work with so I personally won't be active enough to let you know when a client breaking update happens but many people are if they know you want them to do so (when I messaged you about hooks needing to be updated previously I felt like I was being annoying so I kept it to a bare minimum), I'd recommend simply adding to the original post of your reflection threads something along the lines of you are looking for some people that will be able to let you know when hooks are outdated.

tls
10-21-2015, 12:12 AM

I have a cronjob that sends me a message when it detects an update, its just a simple python script.

https://gist.github.com/smithtrenton/fbbcd451ceeaeb356ad6
FYI that is a python 3 script.

Kyle
10-21-2015, 12:22 AM
I have a cronjob that sends me a message when it detects an update, its just a simple python script.

https://gist.github.com/smithtrenton/fbbcd451ceeaeb356ad6
FYI that is a python 3 script.

Ah nice! I have one I wrote a while back that just gives a desktop notification but never added any email support to it. I'll definitely give that a go, thanks man

tls
10-21-2015, 12:28 AM
Ah nice! I have one I wrote a while back that just gives a desktop notification but never added any email support to it. I'll definitely give that a go, thanks man

I updated it to handle the files not existing(although it will take forever to get to the current version, and you should probably just save the current version).

3Garrett3
10-21-2015, 03:00 PM
As of now it seems like Fitta; is afk

Considering Fitta has been banned for scamming on Sythe, I'd say he's probably gone for good.

Link (http://www.sythe.org/report-scammer-archive/1891927-fitta-scam-report.html)

Smalfinn
10-22-2015, 12:16 PM
Just messaged you on skype elfyyy :)

J J
10-22-2015, 12:47 PM
I have been browsing the forums occasionally but I simply have no time at all to script or contribute to SRL at this moment.

I'm not sure about the state of reflection but I think it's great to have the option to use it in scripts. But color scripts can only see the same as a human can, or even less, which will always make a color based script more humanlike.

If it's just you working on the updater and mainly goldfarmers that rely on reflection.. I can see how that demotivates you. Anyways, the more options the better so if you manage to keep everything updated it would be great I'd say.

prostaker
11-04-2015, 11:20 PM
My two cents:

Make a tutorial of how to find and fix the hooks that a scripter requires for his script. This way the gold farmers would probably move to some other bot, as it would not be convenient anymore.
I know that this solutiom will most likelly not be easy to accept for most of the scripters but this would give you free time to work on something you enjoy. Nobody is maintaining a central library of colors for you, I see no reason of why the hooks would need to be centrally managed.

But what ever you decide to do, you are awesome and I like your include a lot :) much love and keep up the good work

Kyle
11-05-2015, 07:05 PM
My two cents:

Make a tutorial of how to find and fix the hooks that a scripter requires for his script. This way the gold farmers would probably move to some other bot, as it would not be convenient anymore.
I know that this solutiom will most likelly not be easy to accept for most of the scripters but this would give you free time to work on something you enjoy. Nobody is maintaining a central library of colors for you, I see no reason of why the hooks would need to be centrally managed.

But what ever you decide to do, you are awesome and I like your include a lot :) much love and keep up the good work

Luckily for you there already is one :) https://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111556

If I required people to have a updater to use the include, there would be nobody using it..

tls
11-05-2015, 07:51 PM
You know what would be a cool project? Making an updater that loads its transformers(identifiers) from some structured files. That way anyone could contribute to the identifiers without having to understand the rest of the updater. It would supply ease of use methods/qualifiers that would make it possible to id everything.

Kyle
11-05-2015, 08:48 PM
You know what would be a cool project? Making an updater that loads its transformers(identifiers) from some structured files. That way anyone could contribute to the identifiers without having to understand the rest of the updater. It would supply ease of use methods/qualifiers that would make it possible to id everything.

But then each identifier would just be a sh*tstorm of regex patterns

prostaker
11-05-2015, 11:28 PM

a bit offtopic: this reminds me - I got a regex exam coming up :D Going to have to parse tons of Logs :D

Luckily for you there already is one https://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111556

If I required people to have a updater to use the include, there would be nobody using it..
<= This is exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks alot :)

A bit more offtopic:

Thanks for updating the Hooks so fast today. I am really being pulled back to Simba scripting thanx to your little include :) Everything is so easy :) Altho I got to admit - Pascal was a bit scary in the beginning :)

tls
11-06-2015, 12:09 AM

Nah, you can define semantics.

player:
parent: character
field-count:
type: String
amount: 1
subclass-count: 0
tree-depth: 5

That is based on my class identifier. Obv in yaml format.

One Kid
11-12-2015, 04:27 AM
I am actually kind of new here in regards to posting. I've lurked for a long time though and have made color scripts in the past. I like reflection and the value it adds.

I really do want to learn how to update and maintain hooks myself, I read the primer that Brandon wrote but just really need to sit down and go through it piece by piece. A video would help more, but perhaps I'm just overthinking exactly what I am tackling here.

If you have any tips as to the process of updating hooks and the like, please shoot me a message so that I can learn a little faster and you can get some help/off-load some of the work involved.

Just my two cents.