PDA

View Full Version : New competition?

SlipperyPickle
06-14-2016, 09:18 PM
Time for a new competition! Currently we want people to come up with ideas, so eventually we can make a poll to vote for the competition. Kevin is willing to help judge, as long as there are more people to volunteer! So submit ideas or join as a judge (or donate for the prize)!

Current judges:

Kevin
Turpinator
SlipperyPickle

Looking for more judges!

Current prizes:

SlipperyPickle: 50M (RS3)
Kevin: $20
cosmasjdz: $20
Turpinator: $10

Current ideas:

SlipperyPickle: 5 skills to level 20 the fastest
Kevin: Power-fishing from level 1
Kevin: runecrafting starting with ess/tiara
hoodz: OSRS Runecrafting
cosmasjdzsomething like 0-40 hunting

acow
06-14-2016, 09:36 PM
Would be cool, I'd just like to nominate KeepBotting; as disqualified from any jr member only competitions

slacky
06-15-2016, 03:30 AM
Would be cool, I'd just like to nominate KeepBotting; as disqualified from any jr member only competitions
Is he still jr? I think so ;)

----

Sounds cool with another competition, the more competitions the better, increases the chance of an interesting one popping up :P
I would prefer to see some OSR competitions, rather than RS3.

Perhaps one that is open for everyone, doubt that many SRL members or higher would join in anyway, and maybe some good scripts will come out of it.

jstemper
06-15-2016, 03:39 AM
why would you want to disqualify him?

slacky
06-15-2016, 03:52 AM
why would you want to disqualify him?
Likely because he doesn't handle losing very well, and his excuse is that KB has been a JR for a long time, and that makes it unfair.

Anyway, any good ideas for competitions that are not too time-consuming to be fun for as many as possible?

Dissimulo
06-15-2016, 05:08 AM
Anyway, any good ideas for competitions that are not to time-consuming to be fun for as many as possible?

Here are some themes I think would be interesting:
- Zeah
- Highest XP/H
- F2P Only

SlipperyPickle
06-15-2016, 07:11 AM
Was thinking about maybe the fastest level 40 (on a fresh account). Can be any skill.

We can also host two competitions? One for rs3 and the other for osrs.

Hoodz
06-15-2016, 12:22 PM
osr color only

maybe a zeah theme?

acow
06-15-2016, 02:38 PM
Likely because he doesn't handle losing very well, and his excuse is that KB has been a JR for a long time, and that makes it unfair.

Anyway, any good ideas for competitions that are not to time-consuming to be fun for as many as possible?
OR, I'm friends w/ KB and was making a joke about the fact that he should just get srl member already.

jstemper
06-15-2016, 04:45 PM
maybe something that trains a skill progressively

Joopi
06-15-2016, 05:39 PM
I vouch for OSRS (anything).
There hasn't been any competition on OSRS yet has there?
Would be cool imo, and would gladly be willing to make a little donation to the price pool ;)

SlipperyPickle
06-15-2016, 05:43 PM
I vouch for OSRS (anything).
There hasn't been any competition on OSRS yet has there?
Would be cool imo, and would gladly be willing to make a little donation to the price pool ;)

I don't know if it's allowed but maybe we can start two competitions, both rs3 and osrs. Maybe more people can donate for a large price pool. I can get up to 50m (and two 10 year vet accounts).

slacky
06-15-2016, 05:51 PM
I don't know if it's allowed but maybe we can start two competitions, both rs3 and osrs. Maybe more people can donate for a large price pool. I can get up to 50m (and two 10 year vet accounts).
I'd rather see minor competitions more often (with smaller prices), rather then occational big one. But I guess the issue is to get people to judge.

An OSR compo would be fun, I might even consider competing myself (unlikely, but we never know). I like the idea of bot level 1-40, we'd might see people running to GE for upgrades and stuff, fun :)
Idk much about Zeah, or anything newer in the game, I havn't _played_ in 10 years, and even then I was only playing F2P, but sure if Zeah has something good to offer it could be nice, assuming it's easy to get there.

anth_
06-15-2016, 06:18 PM
Sounds like a good idea! Perhaps colour only, as hoodz says? :)

SlipperyPickle
06-15-2016, 08:00 PM
I'd rather see minor competitions more often (with smaller prices), rather then occational big one. But I guess the issue is to get people to judge.

An OSR compo would be fun, I might even consider competing myself (unlikely, but we never know). I like the idea of bot level 1-40, we'd might see people running to GE for upgrades and stuff, fun :)
Idk much about Zeah, or anything newer in the game, I havn't _played_ in 10 years, and even then I was only playing F2P, but sure if Zeah has something good to offer it could be nice, assuming it's easy to get there.

I like the idea of multiple smaller competitions. Can't we start a competition every quarter?

KeepBotting
06-17-2016, 03:00 AM

Be not afraid, child.

Incurable
06-17-2016, 04:04 AM

I would like to add Harrier; to that list of nominees.

acow
06-17-2016, 12:11 PM
Who? sounds like a noob, I'm pretty sure anybody named Harrier; would be far too clueless to be able to script together anything worthwhile or to even get srl member. Good things there's no competent Harrier;s here to prove me wrong Harrier;

honeyhoney
06-17-2016, 03:13 PM
OSR, color only, and on fresh accounts and I'm in.

Cook's Assistant could be a fun little project.

Hoodz
06-17-2016, 03:20 PM

already wrote all f2p quests, other project please :P

slacky
06-17-2016, 03:29 PM

I would prefer a skill-related task or something else that's useful, that way submitted scripts could be published and actually serve a purpose other than the competition.

SlipperyPickle
06-17-2016, 04:18 PM
I would prefer a skill-related task or something else that's useful, that way submitted scripts could be published and actually serve a purpose other than the competition.

Can't we make both RS3 and OSRS competition, that way there are more participants. I don't "play" OSRS, so I would be excluded from the competition. If we make a skill-competition for both games there are more releases. I would gladly participate in a RS3 competition.

(And isn't it an option to have competition only allowed if you release the script? To force more releases?)

slacky
06-18-2016, 02:23 AM
Can't we make both RS3 and OSRS competition, that way there are more participants.
There is nothing stopping anyone from hosting an RS3 competition at the same time as an OSR competition. But what happens is not up to me, I am just here trowing out ideas like you guys.

Kevin
06-23-2016, 04:22 AM
I will support a new competition, as in I'll donate $20, and I'm willing to help judge, so long as we can build up help so I'm not the only.

Harrier
06-26-2016, 12:28 PM
I'm wayyy too lazy currently though

Who? sounds like a noob, I'm pretty sure anybody named Harrier; would be far too clueless to be able to script together anything worthwhile or to even get srl member. Good things there's no competent Harrier;s here to prove me wrong Harrier;
u wat m8?

SlipperyPickle
06-26-2016, 12:47 PM
I will support a new competition, as in I'll donate $20, and I'm willing to help judge, so long as we can build up help so I'm not the only.

Since you'll be one of the judges, what kind of competition should we start? (OSRS, RS3, both?) And maybe we can start the competition anytime soon? Would be fun if there are a lot of people joining the competition.

Kevin
06-27-2016, 07:48 AM
Since you'll be one of the judges, what kind of competition should we start? (OSRS, RS3, both?) And maybe we can start the competition anytime soon? Would be fun if there are a lot of people joining the competition.

Game doesn't bother me, as I'll have to setup stuff to run it either way. Last time I was a judge, we had a different competition for Members vs JMem. One was quickest to lvl 40 mining (with nothing preset, not even lodestones), the other was most logs banked in one hour (several accounts ran each script, average score giving result). Quality was not a measuring point for the junior script, merely efficiency (and holy crap did cosmasjdz; kick ass). I think we should ignore quality again for jmem to encourage more to join.

So... Speed based challenge, no equipment, free accounts, but lodestones can be had and world can be pre-selected. Combat would be too challenging. Quests are also too challenging. Maybe Power-fishing from lvl 1? Or runecrafting starting with ess/tiara? Or maybe cutting logs -> arrow shafts (10k rush maybe)?

We could also come up with a list of ideas and then put out a poll of what people would like. Could even let multiple be selected so we really just end up with most-liked overall.

guerr
06-27-2016, 08:10 AM
I would be happy to join if its OSRS.

SlipperyPickle
06-27-2016, 08:35 AM
Game doesn't bother me, as I'll have to setup stuff to run it either way. Last time I was a judge, we had a different competition for Members vs JMem. One was quickest to lvl 40 mining (with nothing preset, not even lodestones), the other was most logs banked in one hour (several accounts ran each script, average score giving result). Quality was not a measuring point for the junior script, merely efficiency (and holy crap did cosmasjdz; kick ass). I think we should ignore quality again for jmem to encourage more to join.

So... Speed based challenge, no equipment, free accounts, but lodestones can be had and world can be pre-selected. Combat would be too challenging. Quests are also too challenging. Maybe Power-fishing from lvl 1? Or runecrafting starting with ess/tiara? Or maybe cutting logs -> arrow shafts (10k rush maybe)?

We could also come up with a list of ideas and then put out a poll of what people would like. Could even let multiple be selected so we really just end up with most-liked overall.

I like the idea of a poll! Maybe we should make a deadline to add ideas? So we can start the competition within two weeks?

Maybe people can come up with ideas in this thread. I'll add them to the OP, so we can start a poll!

My idea is: get 5 skills to level 20 the fastest on a fresh account (would be challenging).

agreeido
06-27-2016, 10:32 PM
Longest and most recent (time stamped) proggy.

largest bank on a fresh account from skills only.

start a fresh account and merch to 100m, not allowed to look at GE prices online, must flip your gp the hard way?

fastest SOLO dungeoneering 99.

Laquisha
06-28-2016, 02:09 AM
My idea is: get 5 skills to level 20 the fastest on a fresh account (would be challenging).

That's a cool idea, may be hard for beginner scripters though. I like the chop + fletch 10k arrowshafts on a fresh account idea.

E: If you get quite a few entries, I may be able to help judge (or if Kevin goes inactive).

Hoodz
06-28-2016, 02:51 PM
osr, color only and im in ;)

SlipperyPickle
06-28-2016, 02:57 PM
osr, color only and im in ;)

Do you have an idea about what kind of competition?

Hoodz
06-28-2016, 03:22 PM
Do you have an idea about what kind of competition?

runecrafting sounds cool, f2p (air/earth/water/fire/mind/body)

skollstagg
06-28-2016, 09:39 PM
Cool I was waiting for one of these

Some questions:

1. I don't use SRL. Would I have to submit my entire custom made API (as it would be required for whatever script I make to run), or are for example video submissions fine?
2. I also use an old version of SMART. Is that okay?
3. How/when would I give a donation for this event
4. Would it be possible to get SRL Member from this? I haven't ever applied because again I don't use SRL.. Biggest roadblock for me when it comes to posting/contributing

If I do compete, personally I'd rather do RS3 as I've never played, botted, or even looked at OSR. But I'd still give it a shot I suppose. It would be great to know soon so I can take a look at OSR if needed.

EDIT: Some questions were answered in the Q&A thread

https://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56907

I guess I would in fact have to submit my entire include if I competed, or I'd have to use SRL

One Kid
06-29-2016, 02:23 AM

Some questions:

1. I don't use SRL. Would I have to submit my entire custom made API (as it would be required for whatever script I make to run), or are for example video submissions fine?
4. Would it be possible to get SRL Member from this? I haven't ever applied because again I don't use SRL.. Biggest roadblock for me when it comes to posting/contributing

If I do compete, personally I'd rather do RS3 as I've never played, botted, or even looked at OSR. But I'd still give it a shot I suppose. It would be great to know soon so I can take a look at OSR if needed.

I guess I would in fact have to submit my entire include if I competed, or I'd have to use SRL

What do you have in your include? Genuinely curious. :) and why the older version of smart?

Incurable
06-29-2016, 03:34 AM

I... why? o.O

As for this:

What are the prizes?
Competition Winner cup. For junior members a promotion to SRL Member is likely to be granted. For all others, winning a competition doesn't hurt their chances.

That was written in 2010. I don't think it's applicable any more, it certainly didn't happen when I won a competition. If anything, it should probably me removed.

EDIT: In fact, most of the stickies in the competitions forum really don't apply unless the competition host(s) is going to adhere to them.

skollstagg
06-29-2016, 04:51 AM
I decided to make my own include as a way to learn, and frankly I prefer my include to SRL overall. The entire thing revolves around a single function.

I'll be using SRL for the competition though, because submitting dozens of include files with thousands of lines of code is silly

Kevin
06-29-2016, 06:21 AM
That's a cool idea, may be hard for beginner scripters though. I like the chop + fletch 10k arrowshafts on a fresh account idea.

E: If you get quite a few entries, I may be able to help judge (or if Kevin goes inactive).

I have never been 100% inactive for more than a week or so - I've always been reachable through the SRL Skype group, and I shall remain so at the very least (Hoodz, Sjoe, and many other members can reach me if they want to).

runecrafting sounds cool, f2p (air/earth/water/fire/mind/body)
Oooh, I do like the possibility of a runecrafting level rush as well... Definitely harder than simple Air Crafting runs/hr, but we can leave that up to the JMem vote.

Some questions:

There are several people to have earned members without having great knowledge of SRL - or having published a script publicly at all. And there is at least one that never learned scripting at all. Simply contributing to the community can get you members, if done over a long period - but having low activity and low SRL knowledge combined does limit your chances, sorry :(

That said, as you prefer your include instead, it would be perfectly reasonable for you to edit SRL itself to make improvements you see in your own include (that would be a great way to gain favor through the powers that be :p)

srlMW
06-29-2016, 12:32 PM
I decided to make my own include as a way to learn, and frankly I prefer my include to SRL overall. The entire thing revolves around a single function.

I'll be using SRL for the competition though, because submitting dozens of include files with thousands of lines of code is silly

I'm really curious about your include and would love to have a peak if you're cool with that? :)

skollstagg
06-29-2016, 09:11 PM
I'm really curious about your include and would love to have a peak if you're cool with that? :)

I'll PM you about it

If anyone has a comment about this please just PM me, since this thread isn't the place

Stein
07-06-2016, 11:14 PM
I think this would be awesome. As slacky stated it would be nice if the contest was open to all. I would at least like to have the option of trying, even if it were decided only jrs could be rewarded.

Also, I think osrs powerfishing or osrs runecrafting would be really cool.

Kevin
07-07-2016, 03:47 AM
I think this would be awesome. As slacky stated it would be nice if the contest was open to all. I would at least like to have the option of trying, even if it were decided only jrs could be rewarded.

Also, I think osrs powerfishing or osrs runecrafting would be really cool.

Typically when we say Jr's, we mean everyone Jr and below - member and above are disallowed, Registered are fine to join :)

rj
07-07-2016, 04:39 AM

start a fresh account and merch to 100m, not allowed to look at GE prices online, must flip your gp the hard way?

a lot of this is based off luck though

Turpinator
07-07-2016, 05:02 PM

All of these seem like ideas that a gold farmer or leecher would like to have for scripts... :D

Annyway, ive got 10$ for the winner, and dibs on a judge spot?

cosmasjdz
07-07-2016, 07:05 PM
I love tournaments.Would add to the prize pool ~20$.

Probably single skill powerleveling isnt much difficult but quite exciting and challenging to write and plan a strategy ahead. I would love to see something like 0-40 hunting or rc with some starting items like tiaras and hunter kits.

SlipperyPickle
07-07-2016, 08:41 PM
All of these seem like ideas that a gold farmer or leecher would like to have for scripts... :D

Annyway, ive got 10$ for the winner, and dibs on a judge spot?

Kevin did want to judge if some people help him, so I'll add you to the OP as judge!

I love tournaments.Would add to the prize pool ~20$.

Probably single skill powerleveling isnt much difficult but quite exciting and challenging to write and plan a strategy ahead. I would love to see something like 0-40 hunting or rc with some starting items like tiaras and hunter kits.

Added to OP, we should start a poll soon!

ANSI
07-07-2016, 10:44 PM
Anything osrs and I would be interested in participating.

Turpinator
07-20-2016, 09:04 PM
Kevin did want to judge if some people help him, so I'll add you to the OP as judge!

Added to OP, we should start a poll soon!

You didnt add my monies, but anyway.

Maybe we could do a task that is in both osrs and rs3, then allow for two different winners or something. one for rs3, one for osr.

SlipperyPickle
07-20-2016, 09:16 PM
You didnt add my monies, but anyway.

Maybe we could do a task that is in both osrs and rs3, then allow for two different winners or something. one for rs3, one for osr.

Woops, added! But I like the idea of both RS3 and OSR. Simply to attract more participants.

slacky
07-21-2016, 12:45 PM
"5 skills to level 20 the fastest" is way to much, you basically have to develop ~5 scripts.. That literally would get no participants, be realistic.

Turpinator
07-21-2016, 06:09 PM
"5 skills to level 20 the fastest" is way to much, you basically have to develop ~5 scripts.. That literally would get no participants, be realistic.

atk, def, str, hp.
then one more!

Buut yeah. its a cool idea if we had tons that would.

Harrier
07-21-2016, 07:52 PM
atk, def, str, hp.
then one more!

Buut yeah. its a cool idea if we had tons that would.
mage or range!

AFools
07-21-2016, 09:54 PM
ermmm but how can a fresh level three account train mage or range? i am guessing you cannot trade items to the fresh account.

Purchasing from a store; would as stated above be based on luck.

Dan the man
07-21-2016, 10:27 PM
So just to clarify; it would be a botting comp? Can only level up said skill(s) with a new account using the bot you create?

Harrier
07-21-2016, 11:03 PM
tbh it should be about making scripts to a high quaility e.g complexty and stablilty so the community can have useful scripts not crappy scripts no one will use.

AFools
07-21-2016, 11:37 PM
tbh it should be about making scripts to a high quaility e.g complexty and stablilty so the community can have useful scripts not crappy scripts no one will use.

Well said; but then the scripts should be compulsory to publish publicly - at least jnr membership

I am keen for OSRS. Depending on the skill.

Dan the man
07-21-2016, 11:43 PM
I would be keen to give it a go if it's OSRS; would be a good learning experience.

Would love each script to be published as well so I could learn different techniques that other people use for the same process.

Kevin
07-24-2016, 06:25 AM

As we have seen in the past competitions, focusing on quality for jr mem and registered users simply dissuades a large portion of the would-be competitors. Whereas focusing on efficiency, while ignoring script readability/quality encourages people who are otherwise scared of being judged.

Harrier
07-25-2016, 02:47 PM
As we have seen in the past competitions, focusing on quality for jr mem and registered users simply dissuades a large portion of the would-be competitors. Whereas focusing on efficiency, while ignoring script readability/quality encourages people who are otherwise scared of being judged.
But both types of competition seem to just to end up with a load of scripts been entered and very few been released and maintained afterwards (I think only iOak was after the last competition). I believe it would be better to aim to create a competition which encourages for scripts to be released and maintained allowing for the competition to have a lasting effect on the community and encourage others to join villavu to use these scripts.

Kevin
07-25-2016, 05:12 PM
But both types of competition seem to just to end up with a load of scripts been entered and very few been released and maintained afterwards (I think only iOak was after the last competition). I believe it would be better to aim to create a competition which encourages for scripts to be released and maintained allowing for the competition to have a lasting effect on the community and encourage others to join villavu to use these scripts.

In no scenario can we really force someone to maintain a script after they feel like they are done with it. Nor can we force anyone to post a public release for their script afterwards. That said, at the end of the last competition, all scripts were publicly shown next to their grades within the competition thread.

At the end of the day, you can't even get people to compete if you scare them away. The only manner of which I could imagine successfully getting people to put out and maintain their scripts afterwards would be to offer further rewards for doing so - and who's going to check all scripts every week and give out the continuous rewards for that?