PDA

View Full Version : SMART and Linux

Lucidity
03-20-2017, 12:30 PM
Hi,

So I recently wanted to try running Simba on a linux based OS.

I decided to use the wine approach as simba linux distributions aren't exactly complete(as far as I am aware).
Everything worked, loading SMART, logging in and everything. However, when I disable SMART and/or leave the script running the SMART client will consistently flicker.

I haven't found any threads regarding this, but if anyone has any tips/clues it'd much be appreciated.

http://g.recordit.co/a30fRKqR80.gif

Things to know:
Latest Ubuntu distribution
Latest Wine install (sudo apt-get install wine)
Java JRE7-79 32bit installed (8 and above didn't want to install through Wine)
Running on Virtual Machine (had possibly concluded that lack of hardware acceleration might be the cause)

Thank you,
Lucidity

Brandon
03-20-2017, 12:48 PM
I haven't found any threads regarding this, but if anyone has any tips/clues it'd much be appreciated.

Without the plugins, Smart will flicker (even on Windows). That looks like OpenGL mode. Notice: When you disable Smart in the above image, the flicker stops. When you enable it, it starts to flicker again. Instead, enable Smart but disable capture and debug and it shouldn't flicker (Simba won't work since capture is disabled).

Lucidity
03-20-2017, 12:50 PM
Without the plugins, Smart will flicker (even on Windows).

Which plugins? I enabled plugins and updated them - not sure if that's what you mean or if it's something else.

I did try with d3d9.dll plugins and the opengl dll, same results on both. The disabling capture does stop the flickering as you said, but any way to prevent it?

Harrier
03-20-2017, 03:07 PM
Is this a home PC or a VPS? and can you check what graphics mode you're in.

Brandon
03-20-2017, 03:46 PM
Which plugins? I enabled plugins and updated them - not sure if that's what you mean or if it's something else.

I did try with d3d9.dll plugins and the opengl dll, same results on both. The disabling capture does stop the flickering as you said, but any way to prevent it?

Depends on which RS Graphics Mode you're in. However, in Wine, you must explicitly set the plugins that Wine will load. Otherwise it loads the system32 versions of it (which is not a plugin).

Just having the plugins in the Simba folder isn't enough for Wine. You need to explicitly specify it in the Wine settings.

anth_
03-21-2017, 10:36 AM
Depends on which RS Graphics Mode you're in. However, in Wine, you must explicitly set the plugins that Wine will load. Otherwise it loads the system32 versions of it (which is not a plugin).

Just having the plugins in the Simba folder isn't enough for Wine. You need to explicitly specify it in the Wine settings.

That's useful to know, thanks! Mind if I add this to my WINE guide?

Lucidity
03-21-2017, 03:20 PM
Is this a home PC or a VPS? and can you check what graphics mode you're in.

It's just in a VM on my PC. I can switch between OpenGL and directX

Lucidity
03-21-2017, 03:37 PM

http://puu.sh/uTaKv/94b476e5cf.png

Thanks, I checked Wine configuration and changed d3d9 to try to use native plugins before using the builtin and it worked fine - so it appears!

Brandon
03-21-2017, 04:03 PM
Thanks, I checked Wine configuration and changed d3d9 to try to use native plugins before using the builtin and it worked fine - so it appears!

Glad to be of assistance. And yes anth_;, you can add it to your guide.

Joopi
03-21-2017, 06:18 PM
Lucidity; ugh your minimap...

anth_
03-21-2017, 09:13 PM
Glad to be of assistance. And yes anth_;, you can add it to your guide.

Just a heads up - since I'm only used to 07scape, does this only matter for RS3? If so, is it just opengl.dll and d3d9.dll?
Cheers dude!