PDA

View Full Version : Guitarists! And Those Loser Basists !

crossback7
06-23-2007, 04:39 AM
Hey, so who plays guitar here? And if you do, what's your setup?

I have an Aria STG-003 with an AG-10 practice amp I use. And a no name acoustic :sasmokin:

Venom666
06-27-2007, 07:46 PM
i play guitar. but i dont have much of a setup. i have a strat and a 12wat practice amp. lol it sounds like shit bit I also have a boss ds1 distortion pedel wich helps a bit.

Mjordan
06-27-2007, 07:49 PM
I play both!

I have a Dean Hardtail electric guitar and a Spencer acoustic.

Then my bass is a Fender.

I Karma I
06-27-2007, 08:09 PM
I own an acoustic, but I can play electric and bass. I also drum for my band :P

davis_junior
06-28-2007, 04:53 AM
I play a BC Rich Warlock with a Peavey Bandit 112 amp. The guitar has an awesome model and a kick-ass look. It has white flames over a black finish.

crossback7
06-28-2007, 05:29 AM
Blah I hate BC Rich's. . .I need a better amp. Works damn well for how small it is and all though, can really pack a punch if I crank it and use some distortion.

I just got back from a Styx, Foreigner, Def Leppard concert. It was insane. Pouring down rain and lightening like crazy for the last half of it. I went down a mudslide a couple times :D

Karma. . .showoff :p I could prolly pull bass if I really needed to and someone set down the tab in front of me.

Strats aren't bad either venom. Mine's a strat knock-off. Sounds a hell of a lot better than a Fender Bullet though. And I got it for about half the price. . .

Pyro
06-28-2007, 05:47 AM
I have a samick guitar Yay for me! and a washburn bass. But a decent washburn not one of those shitty ones :p Guitar is crappy. But i dont really care. Its so old and got such a drawn out, low sound that i hate playing other guitars that seem to "tinny". Prefer bass just for the sheer fact it so much funner to make a nice little bass riff. Whereas guitar is all crap :p.

crossback7
06-28-2007, 06:12 AM
Ah but you can actually impress ignorant people with guitar. Plus you get to go totally crazy with solos.

davis_junior
06-28-2007, 06:22 AM
Lol, anybody that knows how to play the guitar can also play a bass, it's actually easier to play a lot of songs with it, since there aren't any chords.

Also, the BC Rich Warlock is my first guitar, I got it because of the cheap price and looks. But, I'm probably going with a schecter guitar next, mainly for a modern sound.

rkroxpunk
06-28-2007, 12:30 PM
Yamaha electric.....(Yes been playing guitar non stop for 6 years and my parents still won't buy me a new guitar >.<) and an electric acoustic maton

Venom666
06-28-2007, 02:43 PM
I play a BC Rich Warlock with a Peavey Bandit 112 amp. The guitar has an awesome model and a kick-ass look. It has white flames over a black finish.

yeh, my friend has the exact same one its pretty sweet

Black J R
06-28-2007, 03:21 PM
if you can't read sheet music or have no knowledge of music theory you suck and should quit.

Pyro
06-30-2007, 09:51 AM
Wow black thats very nice. Nothing is wrong with just knowing tabs. Many good musicians cant read music. It is no longer a priority. Although. Scales and things and knowing where actual notes are does help to create a more smoother tune.

Davis mmm maybe. But i dunno. Depends what you play. If you are into say rage against the machine on guitar then yes exactly but for alot of thigns say regae, classical and ska it is completly different. With guitars strumming and bass doing licks non stop. But meh yeah pretty much the same.

crossback7
06-30-2007, 09:13 PM
I actually agree with black. If you ever want to be truly good you need to know some theory. Plus it makes it so you can correct all of the screwy tabs you find these days. Or makes it easier to just start playing a song you hear on the radio.

If you don't know theory, you can't write your own stuff.

rkroxpunk
07-01-2007, 04:58 PM
.......wrong......you can absolutely own at guitar and not be able to read sheet music...

if u play classical then yeah ur gonna suck if u can't read sheet music but if it's modern rock, sheet music is totally uneeded.

I know both but only because my parents said i had to do some theory before i learnt guitar so i did piano for 2 years lol. the only thing it's helped me with is i can time everything perfectly, feel rhythm, beat wateva.....sheet music hasn't helped me at all and u don't need to know theory except i would say it does help with ur timing....

crossback7
07-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Yeah, you don't need to know sheet music, but sheet music and music theory are two totally different things.

You NEED to know theory if you want to write your own stuff that's not just power chords the whole time. Makes it easier to tab out stuff you hear on the radio and whatnot too. If you want to be truly good at guitar you need to know theory. I don't mean good at playing guitar, I mean good at guitar. Like you can hear a song once on the radio and play along with it pretty close next time you hear it.

If you can do that, you know theory, whether you know that you do or not.

IEatJ00erBaybees
07-07-2007, 01:49 AM
Davis mmm maybe. But i dunno. Depends what you play. If you are into say rage against the machine on guitar then yes exactly but for alot of thigns say regae, classical and ska it is completly different. With guitars strumming and bass doing licks non stop. But meh yeah pretty much the same.

I can't believe somebody other than me and Mike (Jason2Gs) said the word ska. Pyro, I love you. It seems to be so underground, when really it's becoming a major genre that a lot of people know, but at the same time, nobody that I meet seems to know about it. Like I know that amongst teens, Less Than Jake is becoming a household name, although, people classify it as Punk....It's not punk. It's SKA. Same with bands like Streetlight Manifesto + Reel Big Fish. (Being household names =x, not so much alternative punk)

My friends were big musicians, so I've picked up a bit of guitar from them, but I still can't, and don't plan to learn :p. Music was never really a strong point for me. I'll listen to it, and I'm totally SKA FOR LIFE, but I wouldn't stand a chance up there at the House of Blues with a Trombone or Rhythm Guitar in my hands.

Once again though Pyro, I think I love you.

crossback7
07-07-2007, 04:57 AM
Less Than Jake is most certainly not becoming a house hold name. If I said that to my parents, they wouldn't have heard of them. Reel Big Fish is probably the best know, at least around my area. And everyone has at least heard of Ska. Unless they only listen to rap, making them musically retarded.

Venom666
07-07-2007, 11:55 AM
jimi hendrix knew no music theory at all when he died.. i dont think its something you must have but it does help a bit.

rkroxpunk
07-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Ok it really depends on what ur classification of music theory is....IMO if u can hear a song on the radio and play it that's not necessarily music theory. If you played guitar long enough you can just recognise the sounds of each note. that's how i do it. no theory helped me there. anyway moving on.

what's this SKA u guys are talking about i've never heard of it. maybe us aussies are just ignorant in the music department ;)

IEatJ00erBaybees
07-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Less Than Jake is most certainly not becoming a house hold name. If I said that to my parents, they wouldn't have heard of them. Reel Big Fish is probably the best know, at least around my area. And everyone has at least heard of Ska. Unless they only listen to rap, making them musically retarded.

Like I know that amongst teens, Less Than Jake is becoming a household name.

Retard.

crossback7
07-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Like I know that amongst teens, Less Than Jake is becoming a household name.

Retard.

Way to keep it a good arguement. Amongst teens who listen to things like pop/punk rock it probably is. But not in general.

@ Venom - And Jimi Hendrix definitely knew theory before he died. He probably didn't "learn" it, but if you play that long and write your own stuff, you know it whether you actually know that you know it or not. Too many knows :) The guy was amazing. . .he struck the wrong notes all the time, but he would always slide or bend it before the sound even registered.

@roxpunk - I guess you're right. You use relative pitch I guess. That's kinda tough to learn and takes some experience. Theory can help with trying to figure out solos a lot, since once you know what key or whatnot they're playing in, then it's easier to predict the next note from the sound. And you just kind of develop it over time. You figure out what notes and chords sound good together, and it sticks.

Pyro
07-07-2007, 11:17 PM
ieatjoorbabys (or soemthign) : Ahah why thank you :p

Crossback : well hell no. Ska music is still very much small underground thing. I live in New Zealand. Here it is probably known by a bigger percentage then any other country i would think. Generally because music is huge here.

rprox: ska is like a mix between reggae and punk sorta. Like punk, wait. We are talking about the good punk here. Like clash, sex pistols and the like. Not the shit that seems to be called punk nowadays. ANyways where was i. Its like punk but with brass section kinda. Like trumpets etc. Some clash songs if you added a bit of brass in there could almost classify as ska.

crossback7
07-08-2007, 01:03 AM
Ah. Well in the US, most people have at least heard of it. At least around where I live. I can't account for other countries.

Pyro
07-08-2007, 04:59 AM
Heard OF ska or heard ska....

crossback7
07-08-2007, 05:18 AM
Heard OF it. Most have probably heard it, if they listen to the radio at all. Might not know it, but they prolly have.

Meanage
07-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Alot of our population think rap is music, crumping is dancing and dont take notice of anything else. Most of the people that dont fall into that catagory have heard or heard of ska and other underground stuff though.

Music is huge here like Pyro said, most of the stuff on Select Live and the radio cant really be classified as "music" though....

Oh yeah, I have an acoustic guitar, and a classical one. Another $200 and Im buying a Fender bass and starting to learn. Hard to get $200 when you quit your job but hey, I'll find a way.

rkroxpunk
07-08-2007, 12:33 PM
awesome SKA sounds sick. Personally i hate nowadays punk music and well rap IMO is just talking with a beat going in the background :D. wat bands do u guys recommend for listening to SKA?

crossback7
07-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Eh. . .I'm more into metal/hard rock/classic rock/some other random stuff. . .Probably can't tell you any "good" Ska bands. Reel Big Fish is pretty good. I love all the goofy names. . .My favorite is the Skatalites.

Pyro
07-08-2007, 09:11 PM
awesome SKA sounds sick. Personally i hate nowadays punk music and well rap IMO is just talking with a beat going in the background :D. wat bands do u guys recommend for listening to SKA?

I dont really know. I only really listen to NZ ska bands. Since your in australia you may be able to get them but i dunno. Managers, specials and WBC are my favs. Managers just released a new album. Kinda branches out into less ska genres but it was still pretty good album

Meange: C4 isnt that great anymore. Alt tv is what i watch all the time now. Best alt show ever.

crossback7
07-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Meanage, what kind of acoustic you got?

IEatJ00erBaybees
07-09-2007, 11:58 PM

I'll add you on MSN. I know all about ska. I even have an out-dated thread on the first page labeled 'Want Something New?'.

But now I really know that actually, in fact, most Americans have heard of ska or have heard ska from bands like Reel Big Fish, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, or Streetlight Manifesto.

@Crossback, I didn't say in general, I said amongst teens.

RKrox, his favorite band, the Skatalites. They were 'the first ska band' and started around the '60s, but you can ask Crossback more about them. That was real, authentic ska. Today's has American music mixed in (Where you find the punk added in. That's some bands, others can be different)

Pyro, you seem to be into 2-Tone with the Specials and such.
Speaking of the Specials, I don't listen to them much, but I like the cover of Little Bitch by Big D and the Kids Table.

ONE, TWO!

crossback7
07-10-2007, 12:02 AM
Quite true. Most teens probably have.

Meanage
07-10-2007, 12:12 AM
Meanage, what kind of acoustic you got?

Cataluna or something lol, probly not that great but it sounds good. I baught an Ashton classical one to learn on and my Mum had the acoustic one because she played it in her class(she teaches new entrants), but she doesnt play it anymore so its mine. Cant wait till i get my bass.

crossback7
07-10-2007, 12:24 AM
Gotta love random no-name acoustics like that :) I prefer electrics though. I'm kinda obsessed with solos.

ghost
07-11-2007, 05:13 PM
I play a little :)
My setup:

guitars
>Galveston Acoustic (my first guitar) Name: Bertha
>Galveston American Flag Electric (first electric) Name: Captain America
>Gibson SG Faded Special Name: Gabby
>Fender Stratocaster - Unknown year, it's been modded like crazy
>Fender Squire Strat
>Johnson Les Paul copy Name: Johnson
>Rogue Bass

Amps
>Marshall 150w tube half-stack Name: Marsha
>Behringer 100w bass amp
>Peavey 50w Studio Pro (over 20 years old but still sounds great)

Drums
>5-piece Pulse drums with Zildjian cymbols and Aquarian heads

Nothing is more fun than having a bunch of friends over for a jam session. I'm working on my recording rig now. I've been using Line 6 guitar port with Acid but I'm debating on getting a Pro Tools setup as well as a midi/usb cord for my keyboard.

crossback7
07-11-2007, 08:15 PM
I have this four track recorder that so guy gave my dad for free. . .It's very nice :) And you have some very nice guitars ghost. I want one of your amps too.

merdog
07-22-2007, 01:33 AM
I play Guitar.

My Setup:

Jackson Dinky
- 2 EMG Pickups
- Ernie Ball Strings (I think that's how you spell Ernie)
- VOX Wah-Wah Pedal
- Metal Muff Stomp Box
- Marshal Amp (The small version. Only about $150-200 at Guitar Center)
- Fender Guitar Tuner (Rarely use it. I think it is more of a burden to go and find it than to tune the guitar yourself.

I know way too much metallica. I can play Enter Sandman, Master of Puppets, Seek and Destroy, Am I Evil?, and For Whom The Bell Tolls. I can Play all that except the solos (I can play the entry solo to Am I Evil?. It is pretty simple, just tapping).

If anyone ever gets a band together (or already in one) you should think about trying to practice of the roof of your house. It's a blast. But it is a real pain in the ass to get the drum set up there. I'm not sure how the roof would hold all that weight though. The roof we were on was concrete :S

crossback7
07-23-2007, 10:51 PM
I bet the neighbors really appreciated that. Mine kinda slopes and all so yeah. . .wouldn't work.

And I can play a ton of songs without the solos. And quite a few songs with only the solos too. . .

jhildy
07-28-2007, 04:34 AM
slightly stoopid there pretty sick (im pretty sure there ska)
i got a gibson les paul with sunburst (my parents got me it for christmas(iv been playing for 5 years and am in a band))

crossback7
08-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Any idea how much the Les Paul cost? About $450-$600 if I'm thinking correctly??

Meanage
08-04-2007, 03:02 AM
Just baught an Ashton bass off trademe and a 50w belcat amp at mayers music. Its cool, be more fun when I get lessons though.

crossback7
08-07-2007, 03:52 AM
Yeah, it kinda sucks until you learn how to read tab.

dialeyj2
08-08-2007, 05:14 PM
i play both, washburn guitar, my bros bass(not sure what kind), and a peavy amp!

ya i know tab but im tryin to re-learn notes(btw thats my latest delphi project, a game for finding notes and matchin them with the right string and fret)