PDA

View Full Version : Graphing Calculator

Keen
05-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Ok, well I’m sitting my maths exam in less than 2 weeks and I’m probably going to fail, even though I’m studying like hell.

While innocently searching Google (not for cheating purposes :p) I came across graphing calculators.
Has anyone got one? I’m thinking about buying one to help me.

If someone here had one could you please answer some questions for me please.

Are they difficult to use?
Can you write text to its memory?
Do they give you the working of calculations it has worked out?

If anyone can answer these it would save my ass because if I don’t pass then... well... you probably won't see me in about 4 - 6 months, if you know what I mean.

Thanks. :rolleyes:

Soo Hoo
05-23-2006, 04:01 PM
I know how you feel :p . My parents personally took away my internet connection :eek: . I know how to put it back up temporarily, but if they catch me at it, I'm doubly screwed.

To the point... It depends on what kind of graphing calculator you have.
For Ti-83+ (which is the most common- same as Ti84 series and Ti86 series) which is like $50.
-Are they difficult to use? No. Very easy to use.
-Can you write text to its memory? Yes, you can write a program in it that shows a specified text at command. Or you can just type it in :D .
-Do they give you the working of calculations it has worked out? Definitely not. This calculator doesn't even have useful fuctions like the Ti-89 explained below.

For the Ti-89 series (which I happen to have) which is $100 for a regular, and about $150 for the titanium
Edit: the Ti-89 Titanium is the same as the regular Ti-89 except that the titanium has more memory.
-Are they difficult to use? No, though harder than the Ti83+ (explained above) merely because it has more functions. You can use various functions that are VERY useful. The calculator will solve equations for you, using the sequence: solve(equation,variable that you're solving for), expand (so you don't have to multiply it out), it can also factor equations and solve limits, sums (E), etc. (it's all in the manual- but I didn't read it, I figured it all out myself ;) )
-Can you write text to its memory? Yes. However, you need to download a program called NoteFolio onto your computer, from <education.ti.com> and you also need NoteFolio on the calculator (as a Flash Application- thought it should already be there). Or you can just type the text in the screen, but it will be a lot more obvious than downloading the program and saving text files as a program.
-Do they give you the working of calculations it has worked out? No, they do not show your work. That would be cheating :eek: . However, with the knowledge as to what the answer is BEFORE you actually solve the problem, it should be a lot easier to show your work :cool: .

I hope you found this information helpful. And I hope you do well on your math test. Feel free to ask my any more questions- graphing calculator related, and I will help you to the best of my ability.

*Soo Hoo*

Keen
05-23-2006, 04:28 PM
OMG! :eek:

Thanks man, this owns.
This basically answers all my questions. :p

So if you get one of these calculators it isn't classed as cheating?

Again, Thanks! :D

leader
05-23-2006, 04:30 PM
Yeah I use the TI calculators.

Soo Hoo
05-23-2006, 04:38 PM
OMG! :eek:

Thanks man, this owns.
This basically answers all my questions. :p

So if you get one of these calculators it isn't classed as cheating?

Again, Thanks! :D

No problem. And yes, as leader so kindly put it. However, it would probably be best if none of your teachers found out that you are putting text in a calculator- just a suggestion. Glad I could be of assistance :cool: .

*Soo Hoo*

BenLand100
05-23-2006, 05:59 PM
You can get a calculator to show work if its programmable and you take the time to write a program that can show the work ;) But that would most likely also make "hard to use" a yes ;)
Yes, i can and have made programs for people at school that can show the work.

Keen
05-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Well im thinking about buying one.
If I do then I'll attempt to make a program which shows the working.

But what language would it be in? :confused:

BenLand100
05-23-2006, 06:10 PM
Well im thinking about buying one.
If I do then I'll attempt to make a program which shows the working.

But what language would it be in? :confused: Well, most ti graphing calculators have a simple basic based language that i assume goes by the name of TI-Basic and can be written on the calculator. However, for anything you could want to do, ti graphing calculators have the ability to execute Z80-Assembly. Its similar in structure to X86-Assembly if you know any of that ;) The disadvantage to this is you have to write and compile it on a computer then transfer it to the calculator unless things have changed withen the last year.

P.S. Soo Hoo, for a summation on a ti-83/84/86 do this: sum(seq([expression], [var], [lower bound], [upper bound]))
as in: sum(seq(i+2, i, 1, 2)) = 7
P.P.S. King Keen, some tests/teachers do not allow you to use graphing calculators. I'ed make shure they are allowed before i bring it in on the day.

Keen
05-23-2006, 06:26 PM
Well, most ti graphing calculators have a simple basic based language that i assume goes by the name of TI-Basic and can be written on the calculator. However, for anything you could want to do, ti graphing calculators have the ability to execute Z80-Assembly. Its similar in structure to X86-Assembly if you know any of that ;) The disadvantage to this is you have to write and compile it on a computer then transfer it to the calculator unless things have changed withen the last year.

P.S. Soo Hoo, for a summation on a ti-83/84/86 do this: sum(seq([expression], [var], [lower bound], [upper bound]))
P.P.S. King Keen, some tests/teachers do not allow you to use graphing calculators. I'ed make shure they are allowed before i bring it in on the day.

Omg Assembly is a real bitch, I don't know why people would want to learn that, it's so freaking hard. I'll try TI-Basic or I'll see if there is anything I can download to put on it to display the working.

Ben, what did you write your (friends) programs in, assembly? :confused:

And on the day of the exam it doesn’t matter if they allow graphing calculators or not, I doubt they would know. But thanks for the warning. :p

BenLand100
05-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Omg Assembly is a real bitch, I don't know why people would want to learn that, it's so freaking hard. I'll try TI-Basic or I'll see if there is anything I can download to put on it to display the working.

Ben, what did you write your (friends) programs in, assembly? :confused:

And on the day of the exam it doesn’t matter if they allow graphing calculators or not, I doubt they would know. But thanks for the warning. :p I wrote a triangle solver that gave the trig function it used with all of the args (like Cos^-1((5^2-4^2-3^2)/(-2*4*3)) ). I can write stuff in asm it just takes a long time ;) and trust me, you can tell the difference between a regular calculator and a graphing calculator from a long way off ;)

devils elbow
05-23-2006, 08:07 PM
I love my TI-83+. All I did in math was play calculator games and write simple programs on it.

Soo Hoo
05-23-2006, 09:44 PM
Well, most ti graphing calculators have a simple basic based language that i assume goes by the name of TI-Basic and can be written on the calculator. However, for anything you could want to do, ti graphing calculators have the ability to execute Z80-Assembly. Its similar in structure to X86-Assembly if you know any of that ;) The disadvantage to this is you have to write and compile it on a computer then transfer it to the calculator unless things have changed withen the last year.

Hmm. There's a lot of programs on on different calculators at <ticalc.org> Wouldn't you have to write a program to show work for different kinds of problems? I would think that it would be better to study, rather than wasting two week attempting to do this. Also, you might fail :eek: . Oh yeah, and BenLand100, I don't know too much about the ti-83/84/86 series other than that their abilities are trivial compared to that of the ti-89. Also, the Ti-89 series is the most powerful graphing calculator you are allowed to use on the SAT. I would suggest getting that because it is useful in many future math courses :D .

BenLand100
05-24-2006, 12:28 AM
Hmm. There's a lot of programs on on different calculators at <ticalc.org (http://ticalc.org)> Wouldn't you have to write a program to show work for different kinds of problems? I would think that it would be better to study, rather than wasting two week attempting to do this. Also, you might fail :eek: . Oh yeah, and BenLand100, I don't know too much about the ti-83/84/86 series other than that their abilities are trivial compared to that of the ti-89. Also, the Ti-89 series is the most powerful graphing calculator you are allowed to use on the SAT. I would suggest getting that because it is useful in many future math courses :D . I've had a ti-89 for a year and i've taken the sat before so i knew that already ;) And you would have to write a program for each equation unless you feel like waisting your time writing a general equation solver that showed the steps. that would be way over most people's heads just to use much less write one.

WhiteShadow
05-24-2006, 12:31 AM
God, I wish I had a good calculator. I got mines from the 99 cents store or something, such limited button and functions! Makes me pissed whenever I use it since it can't do backspace. :mad:

KyleGut3
05-24-2006, 12:40 AM
Yes, I LOVE my Ti-83+.

In class, instead of doing the homework, i'll write a program that will solve whatever type of problem we did in class [though I don't know about showing the work part].

Great fun when you just have to push a few buttons into your calculator to get the reference angle of 1,000,000 (its 80 by the way) on a test.

Arkanor
05-24-2006, 05:41 PM
I have a Ti-83+, and I taught myself to code for it.

Showing the work is a bitch, because the program needs to be about 5 times as long and you have to keep putting 'pause' in it so you can view each set of steps. But, if you have a multiple choice final like I just did yesterday...

And of course if you're lazy you can just make a new program, name it something innocuous like 'Mario' or 'Phoenix' and then type all your stuff into it. A good trick is to put a menu at the top of the program with the different chapters as options, and then put a label at each chapter in the 'notes'. The menu is nonfunctional (you'll get an error), but you can choose 'Goto' and it will go to the label in question, hence taking you to the necessary chapter.

Freddy1990
05-24-2006, 07:53 PM
/me has got the Ti84+ Silver Edition (Teachers Edition)
It doesn't give the calculating process, but you can draw graphs and such, once you get to know it you'll be amazed, and you can play games on it :rolleyes:
And i hate coding it, not that i can't do it, thats easy, but i hate typing in a shitload of code on that thing, its so annoying :P