PDA

View Full Version : The Philosophy of an SRL Membership

Here
07-03-2007, 07:32 AM
Hello again SRL community,

It's time again for another long post. Now don't go "OH NO, WALL OF TEXT", but READ. It's (I hope) a valuable insight.

I was thinking again, and reading around, and came to wondering exactly WHAT being an SRL member meant. Does it mean that now one knows how to script, and has thus gained access to the "premium" scripts? If so, I do believe this must change, as this also encourages leechership, though maybe a higher rank of it. If one can gain access for one script, nevertheless with revisions, if one had a strong background in scripting, this would mean almost nothing. Nothing meaning, it doesn't show a will to learn, to enjoy, be a part of the community. Thus, after writing that one script, one can stay in, unless one is disruptive and retarded. No further effort needed.

On the other hand, I have seen members of this community who are dedicated people, yet just because they have not written that one special script, they are not allowed access. What do you value more in a member? Is it the dedication, or the skill that might be? How many "SRL Members" visit a non-script forum every other day, much less have a post a day? Wouldn't you rather have the 500+ post members, who have shown that they will come again and again to a community to which they are not even allowed full access? Ones that give the occasional valuable insight, provide a personality?

Thus, I propose that members should not be considered only for a script, but even members without scripting skill, who show dedication and provide something for the community should be considered as members. I will give a few names here, for the sake of example. hy71194 and Sp0rk-eh are both returning contributing members of the community, yet are denied access solely based on below-average scripts. Yet both have had a major impact on the community, having more than half the posts of some of the admins.

So what do you think, SRL? What should be done?

Feedback appreciated.

Killerdou
07-03-2007, 07:40 AM
The idea is that you can produce a good script, but we also look at people's attitude and usually tell people with a low post count to first get to know the community a little bit better. So we look for both of those, a lot of the members have done a lot of effort to become member and thus expect others to produce the same from other people if they desire to become member.

Santa_Clause
07-03-2007, 07:49 AM
Yes, like iloveit8 said, we also look at attitude and contribution. However, if you want to re-name SRL Member, it would become SRL Scripter. The main thing we look at is the scripting skill.

P.S - Hy71194 applied with a script and he's probably going to get in.

Here
07-03-2007, 07:51 AM
I realize all of what iloveit8 said, but that doesn't answer my question of one-scripters and quick SRL Members who join and leech.

Next are all the other people who ARE the community, yet are denied access. What to do about these people?

EDIT: Congrats to hy71194.

Santa_Clause
07-03-2007, 08:12 AM
People who are the community are good and all. Still, an SRL Scripter obviously has to know how to script. The people that are the community will be provided with some leniency in an application, considering they help out.

Here
07-03-2007, 08:33 AM
That clears things up. But then, my concern was for the leecher SRL Members as well as for the good contributing members.

Hugolord
07-03-2007, 08:48 AM
That clears things up. But then, my concern was for the leecher SRL Members as well as for the good contributing members.

there will always be stupid insolent leechers everywhere you go (forums i mean)

there's nothing that can really stop everyone of them but at least we know some of those leechers were contributing once (gave in a script).

Santa_Clause
07-03-2007, 10:47 AM
Nope. Some automatically became members after SRL became private :p

Here
07-03-2007, 10:49 AM
SRL became private? By that you mean...

Hugolord
07-03-2007, 10:57 AM
SRL became private? By that you mean...

only available to scritpers...

Killerdou
07-03-2007, 11:00 AM
srl was private... then it reopened again;), but when it became private there were some non contributing people already on the forums and those automatically became members when the forums became public again...

Boreas
07-03-2007, 11:13 AM
At one point registration was closed. When it opened again everyone got automatic membership. I do de-member non contributing members when I'm bored. One of the reason's for the 'special script' is that if you write a script that cheats jagex, you're not a jagex employee. I got a lot more to say, I'll be back after work.

Santa_Clause
07-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Interesting. I believe there are many more you can de-member. De-member RsN, he has like 40 posts! :p

XcanadamanX
07-03-2007, 04:12 PM
if im not mistaken RSN might not be that active here but look in SRL and see the functions that RSN has made. and im pretty sure RSN is a dev and has helped create SRL to be what it is.

Here
07-03-2007, 08:41 PM
At one point registration was closed. When it opened again everyone got automatic membership. I do de-member non contributing members when I'm bored. One of the reason's for the 'special script' is that if you write a script that cheats jagex, you're not a jagex employee. I got a lot more to say, I'll be back after work.

Ok, that clears more things up. I'm glad you do prune users once in a while, though automation could take some of the workload off you.

I also see the point of the entrance script, though I'm sure Jagex would have no remorse in making a member join here, make a script that they could easily counter, then counter after he has gained access. Wouldn't be too hard, no?

I'll be waiting for your continuation, though I might be at Joshua Tree. I'll probably be back tomorrow.

Tim0suprem0
07-03-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm awaiting the rest of what Boreas has to say :p But Here I think that yes it might be unfair to people who are extremely active and and poor scripters, but in the end does it matter? If everyone has the same potential to learn how to script then in the end they should become members, even if it takes some longer to learn.

EDIT: Btw ty for the sig :)

RAM
07-04-2007, 12:30 AM
There have been a "few" people that have been noticed here around the community, and were granted membership, not necessarily for their scripting abilities, but because it was thought, discussed and agreed upon by the members, that these said individuals could benefit the community in other ways.

As far as most other registered users having to demonstrate their ability to be able to script, to become SRL Members, it is the common group knowledge, that says, if you have an ability to produce your own scripts, then you probably aren't becoming a member just to "leech" premium scripts.

As I wrote the other day...most people come here looking for GEEPEEZ, and end up finding something much more rewarding...."The Power of Knowledge"....

~RAM

Boreas
07-04-2007, 01:58 AM
Jagex can't do anything that breaks their own rules.

As said before, if you can write your own scripts, you're not trying to leech.

99.9% the scripts and snippets in the members section are about RS. If you don't script/auto for RS then most of it won't interest you. There are a few interesting non RS discussions, but there's nothing stopping you from starting a topic here.

You can become a member without applying. I can think of about 10 people that were memberized without applying, I have the most knowledge about myself. I didn't just test scripts and join in discussions, I demonstrated I'm not gp hungry, I can script, and have good maturity/attitude. I posted code and contributed to the community (I don't remember if my tuts were before or after membership). But the main thing is, I demonstrated that if I tried to apply with a script, I would have gotten in.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Scripters are not born, they are made. Contrary to popular belief, you do not need previous programming experience, or be a math genius to be a scripter. SCAR is my first and only fluent programming language, and I'm sure this is the case for many. Having previous programming experience, being naturally good at math and logic really help, admittedly, but they are far from necessary. Being on this forum in the first place probably means you know more about computers than your 5 closest friends, and probably like math and science. Even without any of these advantages, with the help of the abundance of tuts, and the community, and some time and effort, ANYONE can learn to script SCAR in less than a month. I'm not trying to demean SRL members, but it's really not that hard to write a script compared other programming.

As I said before, I can give membership, I can take it away.

With the amount of leaking and lack of contributing compared to number of users in the member section, if anything, the standards would be raised. They aren't as high as they could be. We get plenty of apps, we don't need more.

There was another reason, but I forgot lol.

Harry
07-04-2007, 02:04 AM
I hope ya got that right about me becoming SRL members SantaClause ;) :D

Stevee
07-04-2007, 02:49 AM
I've said this before and I'll say it again. Scripters are not born, they are made.

hmm... what about Born2Code?

Stevee
07-04-2007, 02:50 AM
sorry for double posting but uhhh... can you and a friend in srl apply fer memz with a script both put together thats 1337?*look at my sig*

Boreas
07-04-2007, 03:13 AM
Some are made in the womb.

Stevee
07-04-2007, 03:15 AM
that made no sense to me

w00t!!1 200+ posts!!

Here
07-05-2007, 05:46 AM
It's a lot you wrote here, so I'll fragment my responses into paragraphs too.

Jagex can't do anything that breaks their own rules.

As said before, if you can write your own scripts, you're not trying to leech.

99.9% the scripts and snippets in the members section are about RS. If you don't script/auto for RS then most of it won't interest you. There are a few interesting non RS discussions, but there's nothing stopping you from starting a topic here.

You can become a member without applying. I can think of about 10 people that were memberized without applying, I have the most knowledge about myself. I didn't just test scripts and join in discussions, I demonstrated I'm not gp hungry, I can script, and have good maturity/attitude. I posted code and contributed to the community (I don't remember if my tuts were before or after membership). But the main thing is, I demonstrated that if I tried to apply with a script, I would have gotten in.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Scripters are not born, they are made. Contrary to popular belief, you do not need previous programming experience, or be a math genius to be a scripter. SCAR is my first and only fluent programming language, and I'm sure this is the case for many. Having previous programming experience, being naturally good at math and logic really help, admittedly, but they are far from necessary. Being on this forum in the first place probably means you know more about computers than your 5 closest friends, and probably like math and science. Even without any of these advantages, with the help of the abundance of tuts, and the community, and some time and effort, ANYONE can learn to script SCAR in less than a month. I'm not trying to demean SRL members, but it's really not that hard to write a script compared other programming.

As I said before, I can give membership, I can take it away.

With the amount of leaking and lack of contributing compared to number of users in the member section, if anything, the standards would be raised. They aren't as high as they could be. We get plenty of apps, we don't need more.

There was another reason, but I forgot lol.

Ok, that has cleared up most of my misgivings of the SRL membership. Though I can't see why Jagex can't break their own rules only to rewrite them later to fit their needs (as the RIAA, MPAA, and other various organizations and "agreements" tend to do), I can feel your logic about the "if script then not leech".

Reading what you said about membership, I'm not so sure I need it, as I don't play RS (the community here, being a gaming community, is still one of the best I've been to), and the only benefit that I can see it would give me is that it would generate more respect (though I can see administrators working hard to counteract this state of mind).

About the "membership without code," you have proven to me that SRL actually does care about the people, and the scripts are only a culling tool. Thank you for clearing that up. P.S. I guess you have demonstrated tremendous amounts of maturity to have risen to admin level. Nice. No sarcasm intended, as I am wont to do.

I fully agree with you on the point that programmers are made not born, as with any other job. Only the truly genius programmers are actually born, as you stated in a later post. Weird Al Yankovic probably made the worst choice of being "number one" at Pascal (the language that SCAR uses) besides Basic. Assembly would've been the best known choice. Pascal can be learned in two weeks, if one applies oneself. It's a nice place to start, and it's straightforward, but moving on to C would make your programs much more powerful.

And let Boreas's second-to-last paragraph be a warning to all ye leakers and leechers. As well as those hoping to join for "teh munnies".

There have been a "few" people that have been noticed here around the community, and were granted membership, not necessarily for their scripting abilities, but because it was thought, discussed and agreed upon by the members, that these said individuals could benefit the community in other ways.

As far as most other registered users having to demonstrate their ability to be able to script, to become SRL Members, it is the common group knowledge, that says, if you have an ability to produce your own scripts, then you probably aren't becoming a member just to "leech" premium scripts.

As I wrote the other day...most people come here looking for GEEPEEZ, and end up finding something much more rewarding...."The Power of Knowledge"....

~RAM

This adds credibility to the people-not-leechers argument set forward by Boreas. Though I wouldn't say that most people come here for the "GEEPEEZ" and stay without them. I'm of the pessimistic opinion, and with all somberness would say that if SRL became a non-script community, but rather based fully upon macroing theory, SRL would find itself less MANY MANY members. Sorry yall.

Ok. This thread has fulfilled its purpose. Let the mods do with it what they will.

Stevee
07-05-2007, 06:20 AM
i relly like ur post, it explains alot to everyone.

LordGregGreg
07-08-2007, 07:58 AM
Lol, I was just reading this. And Here, I HATE how you put real thought into your posts!!! It makes it hard to just skim over it and still post an intelligent reply, especially when I feel guilty skimming because I can tell you spend time posting it.
Anyhows, when I first joined srl, i was all about the monies, and then I got frustrated with crap scripts so I started learning some pascal. This eventually became such an addiction and fun, that I rarely even played rs, unless I was building a script.
Now that I am a member, it's ironic, I have downloaded many scripts, looked and admired a few of them. But, I haven't even ran one yet... Not ONE! I'm just so completely uninterested in the game game part, and now the only thing worth my time is the script game part, lol.
Anyhow, though you might get a laugh out of this irony, how everything I wanted to be a srl member for, I didn't want anymore once I became one.

Santa_Clause
07-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Well said Greg. I feel exactly the same way...

Here
07-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Lol, I was just reading this. And Here, I HATE how you put real thought into your posts!!! It makes it hard to just skim over it and still post an intelligent reply, especially when I feel guilty skimming because I can tell you spend time posting it.
Anyhows, when I first joined srl, i was all about the monies, and then I got frustrated with crap scripts so I started learning some pascal. This eventually became such an addiction and fun, that I rarely even played rs, unless I was building a script.
Now that I am a member, it's ironic, I have downloaded many scripts, looked and admired a few of them. But, I haven't even ran one yet... Not ONE! I'm just so completely uninterested in the game game part, and now the only thing worth my time is the script game part, lol.
Anyhow, though you might get a laugh out of this irony, how everything I wanted to be a srl member for, I didn't want anymore once I became one.

I hate it too how I do that.

Otherwise, I actually still think that you're one of the few that don't leech after your script. But still, I'm not actually a member, so I wouldn't know.

Santa_Clause
07-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Actually, any Member that gets in by submitting a script doesn't leech. Most of, if not all the SRL Members don't play Runescape legitimately. Either they script or auto.

Here
07-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Hmm, ok, I'll take your word for it.

But what's the SRL members playing legit have to do with them not leeching?

LordGregGreg
07-08-2007, 02:47 PM
I think you are right. I can see allot of applications coming in, where it is obvious the person is jut trying to get access to some good scripts. And I agree that this is bad, and vote accordingly.
There still is a pretty big security hole here for leachers, and so I think part of it may be scripters, not wanting to deal with noobs. (peaked over at wizzups ess thread in a while?)
Either way, I agree the system is far from perfect, but it is really the best we can do right now :/. I do think an auto pruner would be good, to get rid of people who just download scripts and all without even posting a proggie.

rkroxpunk
07-08-2007, 03:33 PM
I hate it too how I do that.

Otherwise, I actually still think that you're one of the few that don't leech after your script. But still, I'm not actually a member, so I wouldn't know.

hmm? what gave u that assumption? I don't know any members that "leech".
I haven't released a script since i've been a member for a few reasons....

1: It was around the time i stopped autoing
2: I've written dozens of script completed a few but just havn't gotten around to perfecting the script and releasing.
3: becoming SRL member was a goal for me and when I reached it i lacked motivation.

I think the majority of members don't even play RS anymore, i know i don't, but I enjoy the SRL community and I still find script writing fun and idrc whether i finish a script or not i just enjoy it while i find it enjoy-e-ful :D

Here
07-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Well, all right, I give up.

crossback7
07-08-2007, 07:06 PM
You think about these things too much, Here. . .

Here
07-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Is that necessarily a bad thing?

crossback7
07-08-2007, 07:16 PM
It's relatively unimportant. I think you could spend your time better pondering about more worldly issues :)

Here
07-08-2007, 07:18 PM
I do spend WAY too much time on the computer.

crossback7
07-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Ha. I'm pretty sure just about everyone on this forum does.

3Garrett3
07-08-2007, 09:19 PM
ya, we all do :). I have released two scripts since I became an SRL member. They were both for KYAB when it first came out though, so I dont know if that counts. I have made a few scripts for other games, just for the fun of it, and I'm planning on joining the next Scripting Compitition, because it seems like something fun to do. I auto a bit, for fun, and hang around here, cause the community is great.

LordGregGreg
07-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Here doesn't think too much... here just thinks. Look, here posts are some of the most thought out posts on this forum.
...Here for honorary membership...

Wanted
07-09-2007, 12:33 AM
In my own experience, I have noticed that everyone has the potential for great things. In my own beliefs I think that before you attempt something such a scripting you can easily doubt yourself into believing that you aren't fit or it's to complicated/ 'it's not for me' approach.

When I first decided to script it was because a friend of mine, seungki, had offered an original idea, one that I had thought was worth trying. Ambient of my 'it's not for me' attitude I forced myself to look through the tutorials section, I had found 1 tutorial by WhoCares and spent an entire day trying to understand and read it. I would have to say, the most difficult part was forcing myself to keep an open ended mind while trying to alter my attitude and really commit myself to actually achieving my goal. Exhausted of my first day of scripting I compiled a crappy inefficient bone burier that I posted in the free SRL scripts section. Prior to that I learned that there were methods where you could use key words and loops to make script work better and have many many less lines.

I guess my real point is, even if some one only makes that "one magical script" to get into SRL members for "premium scripts" they've at least gotten past/ motivated past the hardest part of scripting:

Closed minded leecher -> slightly experienced beginner.

And after gaining your first ounce of respect/ recognition/ contribution/ taste of what's it like whatever you want to call it/ think of it as, you come to the realization that you are far from the best, far from being your best, and you always have a lot to learn no matter how good you are, no matter how much you know, no matter how much you've been through, no matter how many people you're ahead of in this community.

Suddenly, being open minded for even a split second, you've opened up many magical doors and are immediately sucked into challenging others, scripting to new limits, exploring new possibilities, challenging your brain, and even enjoying sharing your knowledge/ experiences with new enthusiasts with similar goals.

As for me, well I'll let you decide the rest, it's your own life and one is entitled to make what ever decisions you chose.

One just has to remember, 1 cup of open mindedness can power you through hundreds of miles in the great world of opportunities....

Here
07-09-2007, 12:44 AM
A very insightful post. I'll keep that in mind, and has done the most to convince me that many members are not leechers.

crossback7
07-09-2007, 03:15 AM
I'd back Here for honorary membership. . .Always does her research. Or just naturally knows everything about everything.

Here
07-09-2007, 03:23 AM
I'd back Here for honorary membership. . .Always does her research. Or just naturally knows everything about everything.

Heh, glad to hear that. I think it's the latter, as my procrastination about everything proves. I did good on tests but had a dismal homework record. But usually, I find that BS does a lot to make people think you're an intellectual. It's what the AP students do, you know?

LordGregGreg
07-09-2007, 03:31 AM

She has good ideas, and really good logic. She also isn't afraid to think, and think well. I think that srl could really gain allot form her being in members.

She doesn't play rs, so it's very doubtful that she would leach, (Im 100% convinced). She also, although she may well be able to, is not able to make an rs script because of this. I suppose we could just wait around untill she decides that this title is worth he making a rs script, but I think that srl has alot more to gain from her, then she does from us.

Srl, although mainly, isn't ALL about scripting, there is a need for good thought too.

crossback7
07-09-2007, 03:35 AM
Hell, I just like that she's good at making a point and doesn't post pure garbage on here. And everyone on SRL could learn a ton from her about the proper way of posting.

@ Here - I'll be taking my first AP class this year (I'll be a sophomore and the class is World History). Not sure I can BS facts too well :(

Here
07-09-2007, 03:37 AM
Hell, I just like that she's good at making a point and doesn't post pure garbage on here. And everyone on SRL could learn a ton from her about the proper way of posting.

@ Here - I'll be taking my first AP class this year (I'll be a sophomore and the class is World History). Not sure I can BS facts too well :(

If you're talking about AP Euro, it's probably the easiest AP you'll have. Just get the times right in your essays.

Otherwise, I did not study a single minute for that year, and I got a 4 (5 is the highest grade). If you need help, then ask or post a thread and PM me about it, I can help you.

LordGregGreg
07-09-2007, 03:41 AM
If you're talking about AP Euro, it's probably the easiest AP you'll have. Just get the times right in your essays.

Otherwise, I did not study a single minute for that year, and I got a 4 (5 is the highest grade). If you need help, then ask or post a thread and PM me about it, I can help you.
Yep, I got a 4 too. Unfortunately, I had to study allot, History is not one of my strong points. Had a really good teacher though, she got some award or something another that year.

crossback7
07-09-2007, 03:57 AM
Ah my teacher is notorious for having insanely long tests. I'm not worried though. I got straight A's this year, even though freshman year is supposed to be easy. Geometry was the only class I actually had to put a little effort into at all, which was probably good as I had to test into it. I think Euro and American AP classes must be closely related as the highest grade you can get is a 5 here too.

Here
07-09-2007, 05:01 AM
Ah my teacher is notorious for having insanely long tests. I'm not worried though. I got straight A's this year, even though freshman year is supposed to be easy. Geometry was the only class I actually had to put a little effort into at all, which was probably good as I had to test into it. I think Euro and American AP classes must be closely related as the highest grade you can get is a 5 here too.

Uhh, the highest grade you can get on ANY AP is a 5. By AP Euro, I did not mean that the test is administered in Europe, but the study of European history (APs are an American thing).

Eh, the class grade doesn't matter as much as the AP test grade. As for your freshman year, you were supposed to enjoy it. I graduated after 10th grade, and do not regret it.

ShowerThoughts
08-13-2007, 07:14 PM
he,s right

xxlegitxx
08-17-2007, 06:09 PM
You're retarded.

kaustav_002
08-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Stop gravedigging. Here posted over a month ago and then you gravedig both of you.

xxlegitxx
08-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Stop gravedigging. Here posted over a month ago and then you gravedig both of you.
Actually if the grave has been dug-up, you can't dig it up again.