PDA

View Full Version : Sdcits Paradox Corner

Sdcit
02-26-2006, 10:49 PM
A person shall post a paradox and then others will try and find out if it can be solved or broken.

Is the Following sentence True or False:

This sentence is false.

Krazy_Meerkat
02-28-2006, 05:03 AM
There are two people, one of them always tells the truth and the other always lies.
One of them claims to be lying, so which one is it?

Sdcit
02-28-2006, 05:37 AM
the one that is telling the truth is lying because he is telling the truth that he is lying :p

bumfluff120
02-28-2006, 08:20 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The line below is true
The line above is false
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WT-Fakawi
02-28-2006, 11:13 AM
I refuse to respond to this thread.

Krazy_Meerkat
02-28-2006, 09:02 PM
^^ A bit late I think ;)
Good work Sdcit :) But if he were telling the truth, how could he lie?

XxKanexX
02-28-2006, 11:25 PM
He told the truth that he lied. (I think)..

BenLand100
03-01-2006, 12:59 AM
Everything I say is a lie :)

Kernel Klink
03-01-2006, 01:15 AM
Haha, that reminded me of the Family Guy show where Peter says: "Everything I say is a lie..."... "Except for that... and that... and that... and that... and that... and that... and that... " etc. It's quite funny.

inferno
03-01-2006, 08:14 AM
That could never happen. If he always told the truth then he would be lieing and since he always tells the truth he can't lie. So he can't ever say that.

Flyboy
03-01-2006, 08:29 AM
...After your untimely death you find yourself before two identical doors guarded by two identical looking angels. You intuitively know that one door leads to hell while the other leads to heaven. You also realize that one guard is an angel who always tells the truth while the other is a devil who always tells a lie. You are able to ask one of the guards one yes/no question. What is the question you will ask that will guarantee you choosing the door to eternal bliss.

The Prince of Randomness?
03-09-2006, 07:56 AM
you never know.
you only know that you know when you know that you cant know.

XxKanexX
03-09-2006, 08:30 AM
...After your untimely death you find yourself before two identical doors guarded by two identical looking angels. You intuitively know that one door leads to hell while the other leads to heaven. You also realize that one guard is an angel who always tells the truth while the other is a devil who always tells a lie. You are able to ask one of the guards one yes/no question. What is the question you will ask that will guarantee you choosing the door to eternal bliss.
Got any chips stashed?..

Flyboy
03-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Got any chips stashed?.. Not sure what you mean... but I would have thought with all the math power we have here at this site you guys would have all got this one...

Here's a MAJOR hint: Think of this problem in terms of math... If you ask the one angel who tells the truth you multiply the answer by one ( ans * 1), if you ask the angel who lies you multiply the answer by negative one ( ans * -1)... All you need to do is formulate a question which gives a uniform answer.

XxKanexX
03-09-2006, 09:19 AM
Lol, what i meant was, i was asking if they had any chips stashed away..

Don't you people ever, liek, try to understand the almighty smart, witty and wise Kane?..

Lorax
03-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Everything I say is a lie :)
Ben, that's not a paradox, that's a true statement :D hehe

inferno
03-09-2006, 06:53 PM

Ask one of them "If I asked your companion which door lead to heaven which one would he say?"

And the door he says will be the one leading to hell. The other one leads to heaven.

BenLand100
03-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Am i dead? i think that one will solve it for you :p

Flyboy
03-09-2006, 11:42 PM
Ask one of them "If I asked your companion which door lead to heaven which one would he say?"

And the door he says will be the one leading to hell. The other one leads to heaven.
Well done... the only question that remains... did you answer it or google it? Ether way good job

BenLand100
03-10-2006, 03:00 AM
Well done... the only question that remains... did you answer it or google it? Ether way good job Are you implying that i googled it? It seemed like common sence to ask a question you knew the answer to :p.
You could have asked: Can water freeze, do fish swim, do you spell the word "bingo" B.I.N.G.O, etc...

That could never happen. If he always told the truth then he would be lieing and since he always tells the truth he can't lie. So he can't ever say that.
That's the whole meaning of a paradox :D

The Prince of Randomness?
03-10-2006, 03:00 AM
Kane you are a paradox in yourself we can never understand you.

inferno
03-10-2006, 07:24 AM
Well done... the only question that remains... did you answer it or google it? Ether way good job
Nope, worked it out myself :D

Are you implying that i googled it? It seemed like common sence to ask a question you knew the answer to :p.
You could have asked: Can water freeze, do fish swim, do you spell the word "bingo" B.I.N.G.O, etc...

But then you would only know who is lieing, you still wouldn't know which door was which :p

Jagex_Fagex
03-10-2006, 11:28 AM
my brain hurts, and i feel all funny like, inside:eek: :eek: :eek:

Take an apple and cut it in half, and then cut the halves in half,
and then cut the halves of each half in half.
Theoretically, you can continue doing this until you have an infinite number of apple pieces.
The question is: "Do the pieces of apple have mass?"
because if they do and you put the pieces back together, then you have an infinitely large apple,
but if they don't, then if you put them back together there was no apple to start with.

Please answer this question: "Will you answer 'No'?"

One Greek said, "All Greeks are liars." Would you believe him?

Two drug-traffickers are arrested for drug running and are placed in separate cells. The district attorney tells them of the following:

If both do not confess, then the district attorney will drop the drug-charges for lack of evidence, and will instead charge them with a minor offence. Both of them will get one year in jail.
If both confess, each will get five years in jail.
If either one confesses and the other remains silent, the one who confesses will be released (for turning in evidence) and the other will be jailed for ten years.
Furthermore, each of them is only concerned with getting the smallest sentence for himself. Also, since they are separated, neither of them knows the other's decision, and we assume that they are acting rationally.

If you were one of them, what would you do?

Cheesehunk
03-11-2006, 03:25 AM

Wow, A lot of confusing stuff!

Theoretically, you can continue doing this until you have an infinite number of apple pieces.
because if they do and you put the pieces back together, then you have an infinitely large apple,
but if they don't, then if you put them back together there was no apple to start with.

Now that is some hardcore stuff, you got me thinking right of the start!

Yes, I will answer no?
Lol, me so confused:p

Hell yes, damn those greeks!! Haha

Two drug-traffickers are arrested for drug running and are placed in separate cells. The district attorney tells them of the following:

If both do not confess, then the district attorney will drop the drug-charges for lack of evidence, and will instead charge them with a minor offence. Both of them will get one year in jail.
If either one confesses and the other remains silent, the one who confesses will be released (for turning in evidence) and the other will be jailed for ten years.
Furthermore, each of them is only concerned with getting the smallest sentence for himself. Also, since they are separated, neither of them knows the other's decision, and we assume that they are acting rationally.

If I was one of them, I would bribe the district with my drugs!!

Haha, are these answerable? I really want to see some of these answers!!

thanatos920
03-11-2006, 04:29 AM

This whole question is based on theory. It would be impossible to cut the pieces adter a certain point however to humor you yes they would have mass. But the mass would equal to the inifinitly small portion of the apple they represent.

This paradox makes no sense. You are merely stating someone has said no to a question thus answering the question but claiming they would not. However if there were a question folowing it they surely would not answer it.

If he is telling the truth which he cannot be since then he would be truthful while claiming all greeks are lyars. However if he is lying then he is claiming in truth that all greeks are truthful. However I would believe him because a lie can be based on the truth. He is making you believe what he wants you too which is not the truth thus making him a lyar. Remember all good lies are built upon the truth.

It would depend on the other person. If i knew them to be logical and itelligent I would remain silent because i know they would figure i would do the same. however if he was illogical and irrational I would confess so that both of us get 5 years because I know he would.