PDA

View Full Version : Reorganization of Forums?

Here
07-05-2007, 06:35 AM
Does anyone else agree with me here that there should be some reorganization of these forums? I realize that the forums are not about aesthetic value as much as they are for effectiveness, but there can be some changes made to help both along.

Here are only a few suggestions:

1. Move the requests section somewhere else, such as embed into another forum, such as Tut Island, so that people will have to slog through information and tutorials before rushing to ask "MAEK SCRIP FOR ME PLZ".

2. Merge SRL installation/download problems into SRL questions, or at least make it a subforum of it.

3. I know Snippets is new, but doesn't it belong under free scripts? There's already a lot going on everywhere else.

4. Move General Public Board and General Site Discussion closer together, or merge them, as it doesn't seem like people get the difference anyways.

5. Besides SRL's Small Public Forum, there are about seven different other subforums, causing much division, unless division is what you want. I'm rather for centralization, and would like to have all the information in one place.

6. Taking 5's idea, Waist of Time has too many subsections, and the Graphics and Entertainment should join that group. Then we should move it up, as I feel that would encourage more community action. Then put it into General or something, as General has only 3 subsections, but is right below the SRL SPF

7. SCAR and Runescape made into one group? Maybe?

8. Maybe Tut requests? Or maybe I'm too stupid to find it.

That's just a few suggestions. I'll think up some more later. Feedback appreciated.

Markus
07-05-2007, 08:39 AM
About 3, there was a whole discussion in members forum if nonmembers should have their own SRL New Functions forum, for individual functions, that aren't a script.
See snippets as a procedure/function database.
8 would be nice, but people can ask for help in Scripting Help.

Boreas
07-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Stop complaining, I see about 92 subsections :p

Here
07-05-2007, 06:41 PM
About 3, there was a whole discussion in members forum if nonmembers should have their own SRL New Functions forum, for individual functions, that aren't a script.
See snippets as a procedure/function database.
8 would be nice, but people can ask for help in Scripting Help.

Ok, I thought something like that was happening.

Stop complaining, I see about 92 subsections :p

Aww, I thought we should only have about 200 more.

JAD
07-05-2007, 07:15 PM
If we make the requests section harder to find, or remove it... It will just cause people to request in a different forum, like the scripts forum which would be even more annoying!

Here
07-05-2007, 07:25 PM
This is true. I haven't thought of that.

~alex~
07-05-2007, 09:00 PM
TBH, I'm all for a reorganisation. They are really messy and things arn't where common sense tells you they would be..

Here
07-05-2007, 09:06 PM
TBH, I'm all for a reorganisation. They are really messy and things arn't where common sense tells you they would be..

Exactly. A concise version of my first post.

Jason2gs
07-05-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm not a very big fan of number three. When I saw the Snippets section, I was very happy. I used to hate going to the free script section, then down to utilities, to see what nice little functions people have concocted.

I also don't like the idea of SCAR & RuneScape being mixed. They're very different. SCAR totally owns RS.

I like four and the start of six. Graphics forum being moved up, but not moved into another section.

Here
07-05-2007, 09:36 PM
I'm not a very big fan of number three. When I saw the Snippets section, I was very happy. I used to hate going to the free script section, then down to utilities, to see what nice little functions people have concocted.

I also don't like the idea of SCAR & RuneScape being mixed. They're very different. SCAR totally owns RS.

I like four and the start of six. Graphics forum being moved up, but not moved into another section.

About Number Three: People have expressed their discontent, and I see the reason. Thanks.

Well, there's no sense in having two subforums with only three subsections each. RS should go into SCAR, or vice versa. Maybe SCAR should even go under SRL.

Thanks for your time.

Abyssal
07-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Totally agree, it seems so disorganized and there are A LOT of forums. Like I don't even know what's below the general section/discussion & debates I just know there still another half down there.

Here
07-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Glad to see that people agree with me.

Santa_Clause
07-05-2007, 10:50 PM
It's disorganised? I find it kind of organised...everything to do with SCAR/SRL in one section.

Then there's another section for Non-SCAR/SRL script. Then we have some music and who knows what. Finally, we top it off with the Bashing Club/BBQ Pit. I think I missed a few but I'm not really for a re-organisation. It might and will get confusing for us all, considering how long we've been here.

Here
07-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Ehh, I have nothing much against the SPF, which everyone inhabits, but everything else. It would cause more people to post in them, I'm sure.

JAD
07-05-2007, 11:32 PM
About Number Three: People have expressed their discontent, and I see the reason. Thanks.

Well, there's no sense in having two subforums with only three subsections each. RS should go into SCAR, or vice versa. Maybe SCAR should even go under SRL.

Thanks for your time.

Runescape is not SCAR, SCAR is not SRL. They are 3 completely different things.

Runescape is a fun game in which we are motivated to find new ways of cheating in.

SCAR is an amazing program which allows us to cheat, having nothing to do with being the actual game

SRL is an amazing include which makes SCAR scripters lifes easier, making them have a LOT less work to do for cheating in the game we love, runescape.

So although they all kind of form a triangle going back and forth, being used with one-another, they are still 3 completely different things joined together to make a very fun game. They are still completely different though..

You wouldn't call a baseball, a bat and baseball gloves the same thing would you? Sure they are all 3 used to play the game you love.. But ones the game, one is used to play the game and the other is used to help you player the game.. Completely different things ;)

But personally, I don't care because normally I don't click on any of the sections, I just browse over the posts in the New Posts section like I think a lot of people do. So that hasn't been a problem for me..

Meanage
07-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Yeah, it is messy but I just look through the new posts like JAD said

Here
07-06-2007, 12:32 AM
Well, I use iSpy too, but as time has proved again and again, it's the first impression that counts.

So I realize that changes aren't NEEDED, but they should happen.

crossback7
07-06-2007, 01:22 AM
They could definitely shorten up some of the things. I like the new snippets section though. General Public Board and General Site Discussion should be added together. Nobody treats them differently from each other anyway.

The Claw
07-06-2007, 09:49 AM
You wouldn't call a baseball, a bat and baseball gloves the same thing would you? Sure they are all 3 used to play the game you love.. But ones the game, one is used to play the game and the other is used to help you player the game.. Completely different things ;)

True, however you wouldnt have a seperate shop for each different thing, or even different sections in the shop - they would all be grouped under "baseball". Different shelves for different things, definately. So in this analogy, the shop would be these forums, the sections are the groups, and the shelves are the forums inside the groups.

Anyways I agree that the forums are messy, too messy. Changes I would like to see are:

Heres a pic I drew up -

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4674/newforumsva5.png

That might seem like a lot of merging, but honestly what is the point in having 5 or 10 very localised, but relatively inactive forums? Instead, have an off topic forum where everything is posted in that. Cause it all comes under "off topic" anyway, a place to go when bored with scripting. This would make the forum more aesthetic and less messy, and easier to navigate.

Hopefully this is considered, as we can see its much more efficient, easy on the eye, and wastes less database space. Atm the forums are very messy

Here
07-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks Claw, I like your pic very much, but it's incomplete without Waist of Time (where else would we kill each other?) and maybe some others.

But it's a great one, and I'll put it up on the top post under your name if you'd like.

Meanage
07-07-2007, 02:20 AM
Nice Claw. Off Topic needs to heve sub forums though.

waist of time
graphics

and there needs to be a news thing for things like 1000 posts, my main got banned, stuff like that

JAD
07-07-2007, 02:22 AM
Nice Claw. Off Topic needs to heve sub forums though.

waist of time
graphics

and there needs to be a news thing for things like 1000 posts, my main got banned, stuff like that

Breaking news. Breaking news, like a huge thing, big deal, everybody needs to know about it! :p

Here
07-07-2007, 04:00 AM
Oh, about the 1000 posts thing, that should just be a sticky in General or something. Like the "Millennium Post thread".

And for stuff like "my main got banned", that should be a pity sticky or subforum.

The Claw
07-07-2007, 04:10 AM
Sure go for it Here. The pic I drew up was just rough, and I think with community input we could get something which we could all agree on, and like. Such as Wasit of time subforum in off topic or whatever.

Here
07-07-2007, 04:26 AM
All right. Maybe I'll make a separate thread for that, or people could post whatever in here, then we could make the changes.

The Claw
07-07-2007, 05:24 AM
well it all depends on the admins, if they're willing to make changes. if they're not theres not really any point in planning them

Here
07-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Very true. As you can see, there are none of their replies in this thread. (Kinda discouraging.)

Boreas
07-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Ahem second post.

The Claw
07-08-2007, 01:58 AM
Not complaining Boreas, its more constructive criticism and working towards a better (imo) forum for all our users :p

Here
07-08-2007, 02:23 AM
Ahem second post.

HAHAHA, sorry about that, but you told me you don't make the forum changes. It's just hard to keep a really positive view, when the only thing that's been responded to and fixed is spelling (discuSSion).

Boreas
07-08-2007, 02:38 AM
I changed that to one S, cuz the firewall I had at the time was blocking 'cuss'. I make little changes, like adding snippets, and I created another section somewhere else. But changes like those that affect lots of people I leave for Fawki and Dank. Anyways this forum is very good, especially compared to others, IMHO. Plus like I said, it could be a lot worse, like it is for admins :p

Here
07-08-2007, 03:50 AM
Yes, I could imagine what a hell of a moderating job it is. I respect the administrative team for its perseverance.

Otherwise, can I receive assurance of a reply, no matter if it's a negative one, from you, Boreas? I'd like to know before I send it. Just saying.

Boreas
07-08-2007, 03:56 AM
I can only speak for myself hehe.

Here
07-08-2007, 03:59 AM
Oh, I was talking about ONLY you.