View Full Version : Picking out part of a table

lostspyda
07-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Hello all reading this..

Basically, I have a forum,

http://z10.invisionfree.com/JamsSite/index.php?act=idx

and What I want to do is get this Live Data here on the forum

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8672/untitledsi2.jpg

Viewable on a seperate page. So for example, on my HMTL home page you can view the latests topics in the forum.

I have had a brief look at the source code for the PHP forum but it just links GetLastPost directly to the post created last, like not a general rule, the exact post.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

lostspyda
07-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Just had a thought.. I could use an Iframe and position the forum into part of the web page.

But that could look messy, and I'm not sure if I could position that exact part of the forum correctly within the Iframe's space on the main page..

munk
07-25-2007, 09:17 PM
im kinda confused at what your doin, but all i can really say is it sound like you should use Ajax. Iframes are obsolete with Ajax around.

lostspyda
07-25-2007, 09:38 PM
im kinda confused at what your doin, but all i can really say is it sound like you should use Ajax. Iframes are obsolete with Ajax around.

Im trying to get the data from the picture shown. To appear in a place on my website.

The picture shown is part of a forum, and the content changes etc etc.

Never used Ajax or heard of it, just done a lil research on it, but not sure how to implement it.

munk
07-25-2007, 10:06 PM
do you know what your sql tables and stuff are named and all that? cuz then it is easy.

lostspyda
07-25-2007, 10:16 PM
do you know what your sql tables and stuff are named and all that? cuz then it is easy.

I did not make the forum, You can obtain them free from invisionfree.com

I haven't touched anything to do with SQL for ages, but then I only new a little. Since I dont have access to it, is it still possible?

munk
07-26-2007, 03:13 AM
Google for: Regex (regular expressions)

Also in PHP manual check: preg_match, preg_match_all, file_get_contents

i dont think that will help him.

you need to know the table names and stuff to access the information in the database, so gl

Here
07-26-2007, 06:38 AM
Regex is truly powerful in terms of outside finding (as in, if you don't have database access), like SCAR is at color clicking (as in, if you don't have packet editors). So it'll help him much.