PDA

View Full Version : Problems with icons....

Diabloizzle
08-20-2007, 12:55 AM
Im trying to get the runescape icon to show up on my vb program. When i put in the icon it shows up on the upper left hand corner of the form...but not the actual desktop icon when i make it an exe. Does anyone know whats happening??

p.s. I dont know if this matters but i just edited an existing icon from windows so that i could create the rs icon. The icon showing up on my desktop is the icon that i edited to get the rs icon... Maybe its still reading the icon from the original source???:confused: :confused: Help Please!!

Jason2gs
08-21-2007, 08:01 PM
First off, what did you use to edit it? You don't actually have to edit it, just use a program like PhotoShop, The GIMP, or Iconcool studio and paste the icon in or something. Paint will not work because it is unable to handle icon files.

If the icon works, and it's not giving you an error or anything (apparently, VB6 can't handle XP style icons), you should be able to just go up to Project >>> Project Properties >>> Make >>> Application >>> Icon >>> Drop down & Select icon.

IEatJ00erBaybees
08-22-2007, 01:35 AM
First off, what did you use to edit it? You don't actually have to edit it, just use a program like PhotoShop, The GIMP, or Iconcool studio and paste the icon in or something. Paint will not work because it is unable to handle icon files.

If the icon works, and it's not giving you an error or anything (apparently, VB6 can't handle XP style icons), you should be able to just go up to Project >>> Project Properties >>> Make >>> Application >>> Icon >>> Drop down & Select icon.

Liar. Paint can handle .ico files. I made some for my mom the other day. (By that, I mean on the desktop screen, I changed the icon to one I made for her). Not necessarily the corner picture at the top left corner. Don't know about that.

Jason2gs
08-22-2007, 04:22 AM
Did you actually try setting the icon to, maybe, a Delphi app? It'll say that the image is invalid.

Sure it can save something under the icon file extension, but it can't actually save it as the icon format.

Alright, try this:

1) Open paint.
2) Make a blank canvas and save it as an icon. [.ico, put the whole filename and extension in quotes. I trust you know that?]
3) Open up that icon in a hex editor such as Hex Workshop.
4) Now look at the first two letters. If it's not "BM" [bitmap], feel free to rub it in my face :)

IEatJ00erBaybees
08-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Lol sorry. I just thought that paint could make .ico's.

ShowerThoughts
08-22-2007, 05:32 PM
lol can some1 link me to vb

itSchRis917
08-23-2007, 03:20 AM
Google "Pop a BMP to Ico" if you already have the bitmap. It worked great for me when i was scripting in VB!

Diabloizzle
08-25-2007, 10:07 PM
I used Pop a BMP, and it worked for me. Thanks everybody.