PDA

View Full Version : Faster Internet (Network Optimization)

Dude
08-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Input Welcome!

I'm a computer geek guys, plain and simple! Im doin network technologies at Uni and am always wantin faster downloads. I got my line upgraded from 1 meg to 'Up to 8 meg' and have been waiting on this annoying speed test, the test finally settled down at about 2900kbs which i wasnt completely satisfied with to be honest. I'd been reading about interference noise reducing connection speed and length of line obviously effecting signal power and there for speed. I set off researching on how i could improve my connection. I already had a few ideas.

-- Move Router (i use 2 in my home network) to the main tel. line (used to be on and extention line of the main socket)
-- Cut out some excess line that wasnt needed.

I looked it all up and it seemed pretty straight forward, so i took a screenie of line stats from my home hub (which isnt the best of routers but it'll do!)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/mikk2k2/Net.jpg

The third line down shows that the upload speed is at 448kbs (this didnt change)
The third line also shows that my download speed was at 2900kbs.

Usefull Info on profiles:

ATM Line sync speed
IP Data Rate
from 288Kbps 0.25Mbps
from 576Kbps 0.5Mbps
from 1152Kbps 1Mbps
from 1728Kbps 1.5Mbps
from 2272Kbps 2Mbps
from 2848Kbps 2.5Mbps
from 3424Kbps 3Mbps
from 4000Kbps 3.5Mbps
from 4544Kbps 4Mbps
from 5120Kbps 4.5Mbps
from 5696Kbps 5Mbps
from 6240Kbps 5.5Mbps
from 6816Kbps 6Mbps
From 7392Kbps 6.5Mbps
from 7968Kbps 7Mbps
from 8128Kbps 7.15Mbps

For me the above data shows that i'd only get 2.5 meg because my line syncs at 2900. I figured id try change that!

What i did:

1.Dismatled my network and started from scratch. (2 routers and some network cable)
2. Opened up the main socket and disconnected all extension sockets (3 in total, 1 to the study (which was reconnected later to hold the phone)2, up stairs into my room which was where my primary router was situated to start with (when you think about it, kinda common sense not to have it 20 odd feet away from where the signal comes into the house!) 3, into the front room)
3. connected the routers together (Master socket >> BT home Hub >>Network cable>> Second router (Now in my room) )then connected the second phone line (also into the master socket) into the study for the phones and ran the same line stats test, this is what i got...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/mikk2k2/NetNextDay.jpg

Third line again, upload speed hadn't changed...but i didnt expect it to tbh..

Download speed now at about 5,400kbs (increasing it by 2500kbs (AKA 2.5meg))

This is due to better line conditions, there is less interference with the frequiencies traveling down the line because i removed all that extra wiring (about 50 odd feet i'd say). Now i just need to wait for my bRAS profile to update itself and i'll be downloading at double the speed for no extra cost =D

Just thought i'd share it with you all but this probably wont apply to people outside the UK because of the much better infrastructure you guys have =(

This would only really work for you if--

-- You have quite an old house (wiring pre 2000ish)
-- You use telephone lines for your internet
-- You have lots telephone sockets
-- Your on Broadband
-- You dont have the speed you think you should have i.e The Speed advertised is 10 meg and you only get 3 even though your only 1.5km away from the exchange (sadly not in my case im 3.5 km away from my exchange)

Anyway I'm happy, if your going to attempt do some research. It's illegal if you start messing with the internal wiring of your master socket (because BT own those) so if you do start messing with wires be carefull! Dont say i didnt warn you!.

If any1 is thinking of a bit of home optimisation be carefull, DONT DO IT if you dont know what your doing, i take no responsibility if you mess up!!

Figured you guys might be interested in what i have to say!

Kind Regards
Dude

Edit: I'm not sure how other countries operate but it cant be much different than this....

Pyro
08-20-2007, 09:59 AM
So sorry i didnt get all of it. So you took out the extra tele sockets in your house? Nice idea. I never though of noise as that bad. Im also studying netowrk engineering. but not through a degree. Rather gain my qualifications through cisco etc.

Dude
08-20-2007, 10:12 AM
I get cisco accreditation as part of my degree, i'm lucky enough to go to an excellent university that allows me to get my degree and industry qualifications

Pyro
08-20-2007, 12:04 PM
ooo what cisco one? Currently im jsut finishing up my microsoft ones. Then onto ccna. Then i have a choice whether to do ccnp. Its ridiculously hard after that. ccie ftw :p You pretty much have a license to print money once you get ccie.

Dude
08-20-2007, 06:20 PM
yeah i know, i dont start(have the option to start) ccie until my third year (taking a gap year for some industry experience). Cant wait until i finish, what are the networking jobs like in NZ? Amazing pay in London but i'd like to move away somewhere....

drnewheart
08-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Sounds good Im gonna try and do that right now. My mom is gonna get mad at me though for turning off the internet for a little bit. :p

Pyro
08-20-2007, 11:11 PM
yeah i know, i dont start(have the option to start) ccie until my third year (taking a gap year for some industry experience). Cant wait until i finish, what are the networking jobs like in NZ? Amazing pay in London but i'd like to move away somewhere....

Omfg dude CCIE is so hard you wouldnt believe it. Like i know people who have been studying for ages to do that paper. And you only get one resit if you fail. WEll right at this moment i am struggling to find a job. Mostly because im young. And im still finishing off the rest of my papers. But hell id even go helpdesk if needed.

But my uncle is a computer trouble shooter, not anythign to do with networks. Hes just a software thingie ( i dont actualloy know what he does) but he used to live in AUS then he got offered to move to london for HUGE money. And then they offered him double that money to go to hong kong. So hong kong is where its at :p But not to start off with. That job offered to him was team leader and what not. But yeah. New zealand really isnt high pay. I think its more a lifestyle thign to live in NZ.

btw. Hit me up on msn sometime.

Dude
08-20-2007, 11:51 PM
added you pyro bud.

@ newheart, good luck, be careful!

Silent8Strike
04-30-2008, 09:50 PM
So basically the less cabling the signal has to run through the better the connection is? Wow that explains alot. This guide is going to save me a ton of time messing with my software instead of the actual hardware. Thanks alot!

EvilChicken!
04-30-2008, 10:00 PM
08-20-2007, 09:51 PM

Don't gravedig. (Check how old threads are before you post in them.)