PDA

View Full Version : How To Disable Flash Advertisements

snafuswish
08-28-2007, 12:12 AM
If you're like me and use somewhat old computers, advertisements made in Flash can really get on your nerves. If they are detailed enough, they can even cause your RS game to lag! Well, I have a solution for you guys.

FireFox

Download the Flashblock (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433) Extension and enjoy! It blocks all Flash media and puts placeholders in their stead. You can click these placeholders and select only the ones you want. It works from 1.5 up. However, if you use FireFox 2+, the placeholders won't work. There's a bug that makes FireFox crash. Instead you can use their toolbar button. That may be a possible solution.

Taken from the Flashblock FAQ:

You can use the Flashblock toolbar button. Clicking this button will toggle Flashblock on and off.

To use this button in Firefox, open the Customize Toolbar window (View -> Toolbars -> Customize...) and drag the Flashblock toolbar button on to a toolbar or menubar.

IE

There are programs out there that can disable and enable Flash for you, but I found a Registry trick on a website that you guys might like more. First you need to make two files in Notepad, "DisableFlash.reg" and "EnableFlash.reg". Put these anywhere you like.

In "DisableFlash.reg" paste this code:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}]
"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000400

In "EnableFlash.reg" paste this code:

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}]

Now make a shortcut to these two files in your Favorites menu, and there you have it: in-browser Flash-toggling.

Original Page With the IE Trick (http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=4745)
If you'd much rather use a program, go to the original page and find one you like.
Since I don't use IE, I don't know whether the Registry trick works. If it works, post here saying so.

Pwnt by Pwnt
08-28-2007, 09:51 AM
:p or you can just install a RS client, like SwiftSwitch :) or make one lolz

snafuswish
08-29-2007, 12:42 AM
This useful for more than just RS. Flash advertisements are proliferating all over the web.

Pwnt by Pwnt
08-29-2007, 06:59 AM
yes, but not many other things that have flash adverts will make a game lag ( not many games :p )

Geo
08-29-2007, 06:54 PM
Or you could DL something REALLY good like erm a proxy AD banner. O.O Don't have a clue if that's the way to name it. But I have it and it blocks EVERYthing, Never have I seen a Ad on my computer. XD

I B X R
08-30-2007, 02:12 PM
Swift Switch doesn't block the ads for people without 800x600 resoulution

Bam Bam
08-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Guys, just get FireFox and AdBlock (Not Pro) and the Adblock Filterset.g updater.

ecclesiastes
11-24-2007, 02:24 PM
Guys, just get FireFox and AdBlock (Not Pro) and the Adblock Filterset.g updater.

Thats a good idea if you use firefox but poeple, for internet explorer, just go to Tools>Internet Options>Click on the Programs tab>Click on Manage Add-Ons>You will see two Shockwave objects... Disable them both.

And thats it... Restart internet explorer and no more flash adverts will be shown... Then you can easily bring the add-one back by enabling it! ;)

waterrebel
11-24-2007, 11:45 PM
Useful, my computer is pretty fast, but since i run virtual pc to run multiple accounts, this DEFINITELY speeds up the process, thanks!

-Spartan-
11-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Really helpful for slower computers. Thanks for the info.