PDA

View Full Version : Why Jagex won't stop bots

srl noobest
09-03-2007, 08:24 PM
*DISCLAIMER* none of these numbers are actual, just guesses but could be accurate representations

Alright, bear with me here.
I have seen the bots, complained about the bots, then I researched the bots.
The number of people who are cheating on RS is enormous. Just think, at least 32,000 people have accessed this site and became a member. Now realize that there are (absolute guessing, but guarantee it's a good starting number) 50,000 bots. Let's say that just between these two cheat methods, there are 80,000 cheaters accessing RS. We'll even go so far to say that there is 1 p2p cheater for each 7 f2p cheaters. That means there is about 11,500 p2p cheaters.

Okay, now consider. 11,500 x $6.00 a month = $69,000 a month. $69,000 a month x 12 = $828,000 a year.

Now this is the what you have to consider.

the amount of people quitting RS because of cheaters < the number of cheaters

SO, till 1000s of people begin quitting because of cheaters, cheaters hold the higher ground. Sure, when the game system catches a cheater, they gonna get banned, otherwise, I don't think Jagex is going to be doing anything about it for awhile. And with that kind of money, I don't think I would either.

As I said before, those numbers probably aren't correct, but I did some extensive research into botting and I know that there are programs out there that do EVERY repetitious task imaginable on RS and thousands of people have dozens of accounts doing them.

bullzeye95
09-03-2007, 09:57 PM
How do you suppose Jagex WOULD stop them...?

zertunami
09-03-2007, 09:57 PM
I don't think Jagex is not stop the bots. The amount of bots banned each day is a pretty big number. I estimate a number of 500-1500 bots are banned each day. Jagex has even in the past annouced that over 60,000 bots were banned during some month. Money isn't a concern to them as far as I know.

Eacis
09-03-2007, 10:19 PM
not true.. the rs classic botting time once 60000 peps got banned...

All gone in one wink..

Jackrawl
09-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Keyword from Jagex's policy. NO REFUNDS. It's not that they can't stop them, it's that they're waiting for botters to buy membership. They aren't stupid, it's just that their greed overpowers their intelligence. Also, I've heard that supposedly most of the level 3 botters are in Eastern Asia, and Jagex is having trouble with them because of some political thing. Thats why they keep restating rules.

Edit:Of course, you probably won't ever get caught using SCAR...

Boreas
09-03-2007, 11:48 PM
There is a clear distinction that needs to made for this discussion; P2P vs F2P cheating.

TheSantaMan
09-03-2007, 11:58 PM
well... first of all i don't think Jagex can necessarily catch all the autoers. Second yeah they do bring in alot of money. I myself would be much more happy if i saw a lvl 30 autoer then 15 lvl 3's. There's my input.

R0b0t1
09-04-2007, 01:10 AM
Meh, but if the whole world became drug dealers, then who will buy the drugs?

Simple principal, but they might be waiting to start a real crackdown before it gets like that. But by then, almost all of the "real" players would be gone.

Infantry001
09-04-2007, 01:12 AM
I think if Jagex really tried, all of us would get owned. But, they just stick something in once in a while to limit the amount of cheaters. They don't care about us too much. They just enjoy swimming in money $$$

legendaryhero90
09-04-2007, 11:01 PM
actually... i believe that the RS economy rests on these botters and cheats. without them the economy has to deteriorate in one way or another.

Kik
09-05-2007, 12:28 AM
I think Jagex isn't doing all they could do... but they're doing something, probably around 1000 bots per day or so. If they really wanted to, they could hire around 50 more full-time moderators and have them do regular moderating, while running a loop around the yews every 30 minutes or so and have us all owned.

If they did that, probably about 1/4 of SCAR bots running would survive - the ones with very good antirandoms, talking, and the ones that ran on very busy worlds (like an air runner on world 16 or an ess miner on world 1).

Rikje
09-05-2007, 06:34 AM
actually... i believe that the RS economy rests on these botters and cheats. without them the economy has to deteriorate in one way or another.

;)

when jagex bann all the bots. the economy will die. because of all the bots, there yews in the game. without bots, a yew would still be like 600gp. the bots make it that the basic things come in the game, ores, logs, fish. when the amout that the bots ar making become to high. jagex is banning a few K bots. all the massa banns where after times that the botness was getting overpowerd.

and its about the allready said member ship affcourse.

MasterKill
09-05-2007, 06:40 AM
RS needs BOTS like us!

(not lvl 3's)

and all member macro's is more cash for them

butterl04
09-05-2007, 08:45 AM
true i mean half the yew choppers i.e RSdemon are never heard of again if ought happens to them so they just count on that cause they get the money while having the satisfaction or tearing those lil lvl 3 auto noobs :D

n3ss3s
09-05-2007, 07:01 PM

Haha, Jagex could do it with a snap of fingers, Im pretty sure they could easily encrypt their whole code or something, when Java bots would end. Well, if they wanna kill colour bots, they could just better the graphics to like GuildWars or Oblivion level?

HyperSecret
09-05-2007, 11:06 PM
wow i never thought of the money like that...11,000 members x 7$ month = WOW thats a pretty good salary they have going for them...even after paying for the space or buying w/e they buy to host the game...and paying all the "workers" andrew makes a good chunk of money damn

Jason2gs
09-06-2007, 03:36 AM
*DISCLAIMER* none of these numbers are actual, just guesses but could be accurate representations

I'm just as against bots ruining ScuneRape as you are (Actually, I'm not. I couldn't care less about the game. Sorry!), but you can't go around spewing out random numbers. Not if you're trying to make a sensible argument/discussion.

84562 * 87493 = 4798265 + 74983 / 8492 - 47662.77492 = 15535

See? I can do that too :)

takeNout
09-06-2007, 06:20 AM
Haha, Jagex could do it with a snap of fingers, Im pretty sure they could easily encrypt their whole code or something, when Java bots would end. Well, if they wanna kill colour bots, they could just better the graphics to like GuildWars or Oblivion level?

They are already pushing the capabilities of Java graphics, it would take A LOT of work for them to push the graphics to the standard of guildwards/oblivion. Also one of the reasons runescape is still a viable choice for a mmo is because it can be played on pretty much any computer. Better graphics would mean better comp needed and thus players would be lost.

But yeah, jagex just do not care enough about botters, I mean, like someone else said, all it takes to kill most autoers is just an extra 50 mods. I mean, they have less than 150 worlds up, and you just have the mods trolling, between auto hot spots. Naturally they won't be limited by having to travel around, and although it will be rather hectic at first, but after a few weeks, botters would slowly diminish. I mean, most of the botters are level 3 or close to it (well, not people here, but majority of others.) It does not take very long to identify between autoer and level 3 skiller. If I was jagex, I'd just troll around and ban every level 3 with a stupid name around the auto hot spots. If on the off chance that someone made a skiller called something like 'yinqian234' then quite obviously they would appeal.

It isn't hard, just that it would cost jagex money.

Wizzup?
09-06-2007, 06:25 AM

Haha, jageX can easily stop them, I recently talked to a few JageX mods about bots, and why they didn't do anything about them.

n3ss3s
09-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Wizzy is a traitta!! Jk/Jk :p

Omfg HyperSecret if your fighter is being used that much, I will definetly make an any monster killer too! Lol...

EDIT: Naa ill make a coal miner instead, that should kick your Script Stats' ass

Rikje
09-06-2007, 05:42 PM
wow i never thought of the money like that...11,000 members x 7$ month = WOW thats a pretty good salary they have going for them...even after paying for the space or buying w/e they buy to host the game...and paying all the "workers" andrew makes a good chunk of money damn

Andrew was for as i know nr 16 of richest jong poeple of the UK.

TheGuyWhoGotOn
09-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Here is my personal experience on the matter...http://www.freddy1990.com/forums/index.php?topic=1182.0

Ilikepie1995
09-06-2007, 09:56 PM
lol they get $828,000 a year. Calculate how much they get if to include all the members in runescape, if there are more than 1 million ppl playing runescape, 1/4 of them are members. So they probally fricking get like more than 3 Million PER MONTH, and more than like 20 Million PER YEAR.

They are fricking rich, and they get so much cash because of just a stupid bad graffic game??? WOW, when i gonna be able to make a online game , i ill make it cool , and i will make it mems too, iam fucking gonna be rich :eek: WOOT :).

HyperSecret
09-06-2007, 10:44 PM
lol they get $828,000 a year. Calculate how much they get if to include all the members in runescape, if there are more than 1 million ppl playing runescape, 1/4 of them are members. So they probally fricking get like more than 3 Million PER MONTH, and more than like 20 Million PER YEAR.

They are fricking rich, and they get so much cash because of just a stupid bad graffic game??? WOW, when i gonna be able to make a online game , i ill make it cool , and i will make it mems too, iam fucking gonna be rich :eek: WOOT :).

the 3 million is a stretch, b/c the most at anytime ive seen play rs is around 200,000 ppl, so 1 million ppl would stretch that maybe 500,000 ppl play rs, and maybe 50,000 of those are members, maybe give or take a few thousand

Pancakes
09-06-2007, 10:56 PM
I think if Jagex really tried, all of us would get owned. But, they just stick something in once in a while to limit the amount of cheaters. They don't care about us too much. They just enjoy swimming in money $$$

Couldn't have put it better myself.

kingarabian
09-07-2007, 05:24 AM

Good luck m8. I mean those java crap are pretty hard to learn when it gets advanced =/.

Pyro
09-07-2007, 08:44 AM
I dont think it would take 50 mods. Even setting each person "bot duty" once a week at a certain time. even if there was one person going round at each yew spot. I bet it would end fairly fast. I mean when you see 20 at one yew spot.... Its not that hard.

Rikje
09-07-2007, 08:56 AM
Our supermodels in the young rich list have a new entrant in the shape of Lily Cole. This takes the number of models this year to 12. But for all the emphasis on glamour and celebrity in the young rich list, we see some exciting young tycoons emerging. The Gower brothers, Andrew and Paul, creators of the online game, Runescape, have seen profits soar at their company, Jagex, which has propelled them into the top 1, 000 with a £106m fortune as well as the young rich list. We also expect Mark Fitzgerald and Thomas O’Donohue of MX Telecom to graduate to the main rich list when we see their 2005-06 accounts.

no doubt its all about the money....

scarscaper4life
09-08-2007, 08:15 AM
jagex isnt geting as much money as you think from these botters.

they buy membership.then once they are banned they simply charge back so jagex doesnt get any money from them.

this i assume would happen quite alot espicaly with the chinse botters

Xeroz
09-08-2007, 02:33 PM

Iv heard that over and over.And its true, when they had the new interface dident flax price go up?

Tails111
09-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Well, Here is my 2 cents.

Generally when you play a game you want to get "ahead" of everyone, correct? Well some people want money. If you are the person who wants to get ahead and either can't play a lot because of work, or because of your parents, or anything like that you will want to buy this money to help you get ahead.

F2P Botters, are people who buy iBot or all those others and are too broke to do even better by buying P2P. My cousin is a P2P and I am F2P(ligetly) I was P2P for a while and I made so much more money on P2P.

Here is some math for you, say you have 20 woodcutters cutting magics, 20 x 1000 = 20,000. From what I had seen at level 75 WC when I was a member it took me 20-30 mins a load, there are 48 halfhours in a day. So 20,000 x 48 = 960,000. So you are getting roughly 1 mil a day with iBot or something like that. If you sell your millions for 3$ USD everyday and the month has 31 days you will have 31 x 3 = 93$ a month.

So after 1 month you are 100 dollars richer, assume you pay, what is it for iBot pro, 20$? And then your members 20 x 5 = 100? Are you really making any money? The number declines as your bots get banned or your internet goes down for a while.

So in essence Jagex is making money off of Bots and Banning them, so I think they are really doing something about these Chinese/Java bots.

Also about the issue about liget players leaving, I don't think it is as big as we think because these bots don't do anything besides the repetitive tasks, like flax picking, woodcutting, fishing, and mining.

rockhead
10-08-2007, 02:32 AM
Ok first off Who the Fuck bots at Magics?

RAM
10-08-2007, 02:39 AM
Ok first off Who the Fuck bots at Magics?

Guess you have never been to the magic trees yourself then...bots are like termites there...So I guess someone is cutting them :rolleyes:

rockhead
10-08-2007, 02:53 AM
where are these bots then? i was at camy mages like last week?

btw ram u have to agree though that yews are better money?

RAM
10-08-2007, 02:59 AM
where are these bots then? i was at camy mages like last week?

btw ram u have to agree though that yews are better money?

Well, @ 90+ WC, I have seen my fair share of bots, not to mention I know for a fact, that at least one Mage wc Script exists (Very Private, No one even bother asking ) ;) ....

and yews aren't any better money...even if there weren't 20 bots to any Yew tree in any f2p world...you still don't cut them 4-5 times faster than Magics ( 1 mage log = 1k- 4-5 yew logs = 1k )

rkroxpunk
10-08-2007, 02:26 PM
you guys obviously missed the announcement about runescape hitting 1mil members....

ckeboss
10-08-2007, 05:10 PM
ya lol, that was a while ago let me find the quote

realrocker00
10-08-2007, 06:18 PM
i agree that their are to manny bots in runescape and i think that if it continues that it will cause the end of rs2... I have an idea that jagex can do to stop so manny bots and it sounds simple and dumb but they could make more mods to ceatch the nubby autoers. I agree I myself would be much more happy if i saw a lvl 30 autoer then 15 lvl 3's. I cant remember who said that but i read it above my poast and i totally agree.

WT-Fakawi
10-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Repost (http://www.villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17948?p=223961&highlight=zezima#post223961)

What I find most annoying is the fact that all the snobbish mods continue with their pity rs-businesses, while they should indeed be hunting and banning bots. Its such a simple and elegant solution, let the mods do the dirty work. But I have never seen a Mod hopping worlds around a yew-spot, banning lvl-3 bots on-the-spot.

On the other hand, a lot of bots are actually members, so Jagex has no intention of banning those. Moreover, I am convinced that the top-20 RS-Players are in fact cheaters. Zezima, for a fact, has been banned on numereous occasions, but has always been unbanned by his influencial friends. I mean come on, how on earth is it possible to gain over 1.084.000.000 xp? A simple sum learn us this guy must have been playing for 3.7 years 10 hours straight every day at a rate of 100.000 xp per hour!

I say impossible. The guy is a cheater.

Furthermore if you look at the rs highscores, you learn that the difference between the number 1 and the number 5 is immense, beyond believe. Number one has almost twice as much xp as the number 5. I guess the only skill that looks ok by the number is Agilty.

Would be interesting to toss the abovementioned at the runescape forums :)

Moee
10-08-2007, 07:51 PM
yes it would..
you would probably get banned just for saying it.

Jackrawl
10-09-2007, 12:43 AM
Jagex doesn't have to worry so much about employees.
They have auto-responses based on boolean and a few keywords.
They have 12 year olds (cough* Andrew cough*) given 'Mod' status to report people - thus keeping the game not even half-way clean. But hey, it gets a little bit done - more people get taunted and more people get reported. Everyone wins.
They have advertisements up, and since the game gets so much attention, Jagex gets quite a bit off of F2P.
Drug addicts are willing to pay $7 a month.

What can I say? God bless Java, I learned most of it in half a day and am almost to the status where I can create something like Runescape. Doesn't say much.

Harry
10-09-2007, 01:10 AM
They have advertisements up, and since the game gets so much attention, Jagex gets quite a bit off of F2P.

hah, I block f2p ads :)

canu44
10-26-2007, 04:23 AM
Watch if They ban all bots then price for nessicities will double then the chiensee will learn and then get back on track to make prices lower

n3ss3s
10-26-2007, 04:09 PM
What can I say? God bless Java, I learned most of it in half a day and am almost to the status where I can create something like Runescape. Doesn't say much. Haha, sorry but no. You didnt learn most of it in half a day.

Now, Jagex wont wipe off all the bots, this discussion is old, useless and way offtopic.

pseudoclosed.

Wanted
10-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Trust me, the day Jagex starts loosing money from bots will be the same day botting ends.

Lacky
10-27-2007, 04:23 AM
Or the day that the close down RuneScape or make RuneScape 3.

canu44
10-28-2007, 07:22 PM
The only way that bots are gonna get banned, is that of following reasons, The games gets too popular that they need to make more servers so they start banning bots to make space, or they would find out there is enough people to support the economy from inflation.

Lacky
10-29-2007, 08:39 AM
I think they should et us bot, but have a particular world for it...as they have added German worlds, why not Bot worlds? :p

mark9510
10-29-2007, 10:06 PM
well jagex could send a team of investigators and trace the ips of most of the level 3 macroers and might be able to file a law suit

mat_de_b
10-29-2007, 11:45 PM
Waste of thier money?

bth8
10-30-2007, 01:24 AM
to be honest i think jagex dosent really care too much about bots until it starts to get really extreme.

Runescapian321
10-30-2007, 03:09 AM
to be honest i think jagex dosent really care too much about bots until it starts to get really extreme.

-.- Been around any yews recently lol? Maybe even fishing spots?

Lacky
10-30-2007, 10:56 AM
well jagex could send a team of investigators and trace the ips of most of the level 3 macroers and might be able to file a law suit

One word: No.

Waste of thier money?

And they couldn't do it either. They have nothing to file against.

Sure they do. Just doesn't seem like it.

-.- Been around any yews recently lol? Maybe even fishing spots?

Fishing spots not so much botting there...

Oh, and by the way, 200th post!

HellBoyz
11-03-2007, 05:12 AM
i think money is the concern of farfex at the meant time.

§hãttêrëd Rèƒlé¢tîøñ
11-03-2007, 12:17 PM
I don't think there are keeping them for the money....In the long run they know the game will get ruined...I think they can't detect them enough to ban them.

NiCbaZ
11-06-2007, 09:45 AM
they are stopping lots of them i seen liek 100 ramdoms take down a grough of em at some yew tree

uncfan1119
11-12-2007, 04:19 AM
For the numbers, you said say like their are 30,000 people cheating and 80,000 bots or something like that..Without the scar users its like 100 people cheatings, and 80,000 bots

oliver1205
11-12-2007, 05:25 PM

better graphics = the game would HAVE TO BE on a cd. witch means we pay more money, not as many updates etc. you can only go so far on graphics for a game thats 5 bucks a month/you dont download

legendaryhero90
11-12-2007, 08:18 PM
better graphics = the game would HAVE TO BE on a cd. witch means we pay more money, not as many updates etc. you can only go so far on graphics for a game thats 5 bucks a month/you dont download

in other words...

they will lose money :D

1q1q
11-14-2007, 05:22 AM
in other words...

they will lose money :D

Actually, If they made it on a CD, they would probally gain more money.

Buying the cd..: Lets say $10..
Monthly membership fee $5.
Auto updates through a patcher.

15$, per member.. 10$ per nonmember. They would gain more money.

red eyes 20
11-17-2007, 09:09 PM
they killed airyn... we might be next.
buy yes i would say more autoers including myself will make my main membersand i got 5 soldiors to my army so that' 1/5 autoers to members.

Hugolord
11-17-2007, 09:44 PM
They can easily kill us

look at murdaut if they made more of these randoms even in game type of things we would die