PDA

View Full Version : 20+ hidden XP applications

ajaj
09-08-2007, 10:03 PM
To run any of these apps go to Start > Run and type the executable name:

1) Character Map = charmap.exe (very useful for finding unusual characters)

2) Disk Cleanup = cleanmgr.exe

3) Clipboard Viewer = clipbrd.exe (views contents of Windows clipboard)

4) Dr Watson = drwtsn32.exe (Troubleshooting tool)

5) DirectX diagnosis = dxdiag.exe (Diagnose & test DirectX, video & sound cards)

6) Private character editor = eudcedit.exe (allows creation or modification of characters)

7) IExpress Wizard = iexpress.exe (Create self-extracting / self-installing package)

8) Microsoft Synchronization Manager = mobsync.exe (appears to allow synchronization of files on the network for when working offline. Apparently undocumented).

9) Windows Media Player 5.1 = mplay32.exe (Retro version of Media Player, very basic).

10) ODBC Data Source Administrator = odbcad32.exe (something to do with databases)

11) Object Packager = packager.exe (to do with packaging objects for insertion in files, appears to have comprehensive help files).

12) System Monitor = perfmon.exe (very useful, highly configurable tool, tells you everything you ever wanted to know about any aspect of PC performance, for uber-geeks only )

13) Program Manager = progman.exe (Legacy Windows 3.x desktop shell).

14) Remote Access phone book = rasphone.exe (documentation is virtually non-existant).

15) Registry Editor = regedt32.exe [also regedit.exe] (for hacking the Windows Registry).

16) Network shared folder wizard = shrpubw.exe (creates shared folders on network).

17) File siganture verification tool = sigverif.exe

18) Volume Control = sndvol32.exe (I've included this for those people that lose it from the System Notification area).

19) System Configuration Editor = sysedit.exe (modify System.ini & Win.ini just like in Win98! ).

20) Syskey = syskey.exe (Secures XP Account database - use with care, it's virtually undocumented but it appears to encrypt all passwords, I'm not sure of the full implications).

21) Microsoft Telnet Client = telnet.exe

22) Driver Verifier Manager = verifier.exe (seems to be a utility for monitoring the actions of drivers, might be useful for people having driver problems. Undocumented).

23) Windows for Workgroups Chat = winchat.exe (appears to be an old NT utility to allow chat sessions over a LAN, help files available).

Buckleyindahouse
09-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Nice find.

Opal Tasty
09-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Charmap is helpful for those who don't already know about it. But you should really credit the source when you just directly copy and paste a tutorial. They have worked hard on it and deserve the recognition.

Opal Tasty
09-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Edit: LAG. Gay.

R0b0t1
09-09-2007, 12:06 AM
I know of all of these... I explore the windows folder routinely.

Pancakes
09-09-2007, 12:09 AM
Most of these aren't very useful. But anyway, nice find.

kingarabian
09-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Edit: LAG. Gay.

thats not nice -.-. He spent time writing this nice tut. At least say it more nicer.

lonewolfszc
09-09-2007, 01:44 AM
these are not really hidden, any experienced user should know about these.
Look in the windows folders...

Opal Tasty
09-09-2007, 02:07 AM
thats not nice -.-. He spent time writing this nice tut. At least say it more nicer.

No, I wasn't saying that this tut was gay, I was saying that I lagged and double posted and that was gay.

Markus
10-02-2007, 01:19 PM
I knew most of em, except Syskey, and I didn't knew the good old program manager is still in XP.
Tut about Syskey: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310105
Only usefull if you want to set a password, or need a bootfloppy :)
Short version:
Press update if you want to secure your xp instalation.
Choose Password setup if you want a password you want a pass that's used to encrypt SAM (file with all user/pass). You need to enter this pass besides your normal pass.
Choose Floppy disk if you want some decryption disk, and the bottom one (store local) is default.

PwNZoRNooB
10-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Heh :) Nice...
CTRL + D :p

Scotland
10-02-2007, 03:03 PM
nice list. never knew about some there but tbh most arnt realy helpfull to me except dxdiag and char map at times.

Shawn1533
12-18-2007, 11:19 PM
nice and long list although most not very usefull

chitin
12-19-2007, 11:53 PM
nice and long list although most not very usefull

i agree, but the clipboard wise a nice add 2 my collection thnx! also add syskey.exe or syskey in run its another pass like a bios pass but after bios and before login, usful 4 extra security, ps if u wana take it off, change pass 2 blank!

ooples
12-21-2007, 09:22 AM
u frogt the most importent 1 of all , for school networks , is the 1 2 make yor own acount , if all waz ar blocke ,incuding cmd or bat files , i dont have the name of the file on my computer , dont have it mimerized , but its on my brick win i git back 2 d.c. i whil poat the name of it

aran armath
12-22-2007, 01:08 AM
Freaking spammers and gravediggers!!!

Mr.Klean
12-22-2007, 01:43 AM
Freaking spammers and gravediggers!!!

There not gravedigging, pretty much anything in tut island can be bumped back. Now spamming they may be.

Laimonas171
11-08-2008, 10:03 PM
some of these "hiden programms" are in start menu... :D :D :D