PDA

View Full Version : Im quitting smoking.

Pancakes
10-14-2007, 02:07 AM
Hello everyone,

Well as you may or may not know, probably the latter, I am a smoker. I am 15 years of age and I've been smoking since I was 13. Due to alot of shit happening in my life right now, I have become somewhat of a heavy smoker, smoking 10-15 cigarettes a day. But now I have made the conscious decision to quit.

My 'quit date' is the 26th of October. This is because my 16th birthday is on the 26th of November, and I'll have been smoke-free for a month by that date if I manage to pull it off.

I don't expect that I'll be able to stop smoking entirely during this month - I'll probably still be having one every couple of days or so - but I think this will be a fair achievement.

Depending on whether I remember or not, I'll keep this thread up to date about how I'm going etc.

Feel free to post questions or suggestions or whatever on this thread too.

Cheers all,
James aka Pancakes.

Harry
10-14-2007, 02:08 AM
Wow, Great! :) It is hard, but you will pull though it, and will like how your 'new' body feels :D

kingarabian
10-14-2007, 02:28 AM
Wow man thats not good for your body.....im glad your quitting good luck.

ZephyrsFury
10-14-2007, 02:32 AM
Lol I thought you were quitting SRL :rolleyes:.

Good luck and just a bit of advice - once you make it to one month, why not make it two then three, possibly four, after that why not half a year then make it to your 17th smoke-free then...

Smoking kills....ever seen those pictures on the cigarette packets? :p

Jason2gs
10-14-2007, 02:35 AM
Good for you :)

Smoking since age thirteen? Wow :|

Bobarkinator
10-14-2007, 02:36 AM
I will forever encourage your in your endeavor here.

BobboHobbo
10-14-2007, 02:40 AM
Ouch smoking, i cant stand the smell, but when i saw the tit Im Quiting, i was thinking your quiting SRL, good way to stop smoking it to you listerine. :D

ZephyrsFury
10-14-2007, 02:41 AM
Good for you :)

Smoking since age thirteen? Wow :|

Lots of people at my school do it.... stupid Year 8 and 9 rebels... don't know whats good for them...

The Claw
10-14-2007, 02:41 AM
"I'll quit tomorrow" Tomorrow comes..."I'll quit in a week"...."I'll quit soon"....thats what everyone says, better to just quit now

Pancakes
10-14-2007, 02:45 AM
Lol I thought you were quitting SRL :rolleyes:.

Lol the title was supposed to attract attention :p

blind shot
10-14-2007, 03:07 AM
Big props to you mate, it's best to quit as early as you can. I personally have never been a smoker but both of my parents are and neither of them have quit yet even thou they they seen what smoking can do to a person when my dads dad died. Best of luck mate and I hope you stick it out.

SirMashew
10-14-2007, 06:05 AM
Smoking is not cool. I lost my grandpa to it.

Also, it is illegal to smoke in a car that contains minors. I am hoping they ban smoking in all public places. (Yes, they can and they most likely will.)

Wanted
10-14-2007, 06:14 AM
"I'll quit tomorrow" Tomorrow comes..."I'll quit in a week"...."I'll quit soon"....thats what everyone says, better to just quit now

I have to agree, there is no such thing as eventually.

There is only a now and a never.

Pancakes
10-14-2007, 06:18 AM
I don't really agree with that, if you set out a date that your going to do it on.. I mean, if its spontaneous then its going to be alot harder than if you had planned it.

Wanted
10-14-2007, 06:22 AM
I don't really agree with that, if you set out a date that your going to do it on.. I mean, if its spontaneous then its going to be alot harder than if you had planned it.

I was speaking in general, what ever works best for you I guess...

ZephyrsFury
10-14-2007, 02:58 PM

I set a date to quit SCAR scripting several months ago... guess that didn't work out... :)

Rikje
10-14-2007, 03:04 PM
if you really want to quit. you can. and i hope you do!. smoking is bad :(

@spehy,, you can't set a date for quiting scar! :p

ZephyrsFury
10-14-2007, 03:06 PM
if you really want to quit. you can. and i hope you do!. smoking is bad :(

@spehy,, you can't set a date for quiting scar! :p

No not to quit but a break every now and again.... In fact since we're on topic about it, I'm going to be away for the next 8 weeks in preparation for my exams. So yea.... I might make a thread about it if I'm not too busy.

IronTeapot
10-14-2007, 03:19 PM
From now until your date, you need to start to find something to replace your desire to smoke. Instead of just getting to that date and suddenly loosing a chunk of your daily activities. Find something that you can replace the mental thought in your head with whenever you feel like smoking. Try working out, going for a bike ride; feel like a smoke? Make a sandwich instead. The hardest part about quitting is that its so easy to go back because there is nothing to replace that void that you've given away to smoking.

Lalaji
10-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Good luck mate

GoF
10-14-2007, 03:31 PM
10-15 isnt really much. I usually smoke around 20 per day. Sometimes I can smoke like 50 in 2 days.. Depends if I buy in packs(?) or if I roll my own. (soz if there's crap terms included, I r teh finnish).

Zeta
10-14-2007, 03:33 PM
i used to smoke, then i quit for a month because i stopped hanging out with my friend that smoked and i'm hanging out with him again and i'm smoking, he smokes a pack a day and i smoke like 5 cigs a day at most

Zeke1901
10-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Hello everyone,

Well as you may or may not know, probably the latter, I am a smoker. I am 15 years of age and I've been smoking since I was 13. Due to alot of shit happening in my life right now, I have become somewhat of a heavy smoker, smoking 10-15 cigarettes a day. But now I have made the conscious decision to quit.

My 'quit date' is the 26th of October. This is because my 16th birthday is on the 26th of November, and I'll have been smoke-free for a month by that date if I manage to pull it off.

I don't expect that I'll be able to stop smoking entirely during this month - I'll probably still be having one every couple of days or so - but I think this will be a fair achievement.

Depending on whether I remember or not, I'll keep this thread up to date about how I'm going etc.

Cheers all,
James aka Pancakes.

Lol my birthday is on the 27th and I'm one year older. Cold turkey is the right way to go!

JuKKa
10-14-2007, 03:39 PM
i snuff. Its addicting, Cant stop. Help me..

Macrosoft
10-14-2007, 03:44 PM
good luck, how did you start smoking?

i hate smoke, it gives me asthma...

The SRL community will help you every step of the way!

Harry
10-14-2007, 03:47 PM
i snuff. Its addicting, Cant stop. Help me..

Chew chewing-gum, It is kinda similar, may help you.

Kik
10-14-2007, 03:51 PM
My dad smoked for 20-30 years, and just quit about 2 years ago. It took him a while to stop - about 6 to 12 months, and he was using patches and gum. He's one of the reasons I'm never going to smoke, after seeing him being addicted.

Good for you to decide to stop smoking. Much better to decide to quit now than in 50 years when you've gotten up to 3 packs a day, but it'll still be tough. Tell us how you're doing!

GoF
10-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Chew chewing-gum, It is kinda similar, may help you.

Not really. You put snuff under your top lip, it's not chewing tobacco..

ckeboss
10-14-2007, 04:16 PM
Yes! Quit. Smoking can only cause harm to yo and the people you love. Glad to hear you quit.

Harry
10-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Well, you still could put the gum under your lip :stirthepot: :p

But I was sooo sure this kid in my class chews snuff.. unless he wraps it in paper or something.

n3ss3s
10-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Good luck m8!

The topic title "Im quitting" made me think "No shit another member leavin"

Runescape Pro
10-14-2007, 04:24 PM
feel like a smoke? Make a sandwich instead. lmao!...
but im glad to hear that your quiting, im also 15 and smoke, but not that much, and i also dip... but not often. Smoking is bad and hard to quit but atleast its not crack your doing =P

edit: I also thought you were leaving and it made me think "wow, it always sucks to have a srl member leave *crys*" j/k

Minithug
10-14-2007, 04:30 PM
I think its an great thing ur quitting! :) i smoke myself aswell, going to quit soon tho :D I hope ull make it man, Good Luck :)

Pancakes
10-15-2007, 09:05 AM
Yeah well today, I bought my (hopefully?) last pack of smokes. What IronTeapot said hit me hard though, there really will be nothing to replace it, because with my current life situation I don't really do much besides script, play runescape, go to tafe and smoke. If I did a 10 minute workout everytime I felt like a smoke, I'd have abs of steel lol :p

Negaal
10-15-2007, 09:54 AM
err, got same problem, started when was 12 or something, smoke aproch 10 per day, have tryed quitting few times...didn't success

Gof you are smoking master!( i think your lungs contains tar only)

HayHay89
10-15-2007, 10:27 AM
good job mate it must be hard....not that i no...good for u and your family and your girl friend if u have one......hope u can get thru it good luck:spot: (h)

BobboHobbo
10-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Wow, so many people smoke here. Im never going to try to smoke to me its like burning a forest down and breathing in the awfull smoke.

PwNZoRNooB
10-15-2007, 01:25 PM
Wow, so many people smoke here. Im never going to try to smoke to me its like burning a forest down and breathing in the awfull smoke.

Yes, I thought the same.

I'm always addicted on energy drinks and pepsi a few weeks after the summer :p
I just can't wake up without them :redface:

GoF
10-15-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm always addicted on energy drinks and pepsi a few weeks after the summer :p
I just can't wake up without them :redface:

Wow. That's more sad than smoking :rolleyes:... I'd rather smoke than get fat drinking some energy drinks and pepsi all the time. I though of stopping smoking about.. a year ago :D I though "I'll smoke a few more and then quit" then it was next week, then next month and pretty soon I forgot about it. But I'm thinking of quitting atm. Will be hell though as I get pissed off at teachers in school. Still, good luck in quitting :p

*waits for the 3rd day after Pancakes has quit and a "I failed" thread... :stirthepot:*

mark9510
10-15-2007, 01:40 PM
wow i feel sorry for u try your hardest and good luck

ZephyrsFury
10-15-2007, 01:47 PM
*waits for the 3rd day after Pancakes has quit and a "I failed" thread... :stirthepot:*

You're optimistic aren't you... :rolleyes:

masteryoda™
10-16-2007, 12:28 AM
Good on you champion. Quitting is hard....Not quitting is harder. I'm not sure but mabey you should try some of thoes patches and things like that if you want. Just remember, there no such thing as a failed quit attempt-Just practise for next time. Keep up the good work.

GoF
10-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Just remember, there no such thing as a failed quit attempt-Just practise for next time. Keep up the good work.

I somehow doubt you know what you're talking about if you say that you can't fail at quitting smoking..

masteryoda™
10-17-2007, 02:38 AM
Well it says it on a quit smoking ad..I rekon it's true. Just practise for next time.....

Macrosoft
10-17-2007, 03:11 AM
pancakes, do your parents know what you are trying to do, they can be great support

i completely understand if they dont know you smoke (actually, not completely, but i wouldn't tell them)

how are you doing?
I remember when my grandmother tried to quite, took her a while, but she eventually did.

they also say that your risk of lung cancer goes up when you smoke, but it decreases over the years you dont smoke, until you are almost back to normal

just some more motivation, dont give up!

P1nky
10-17-2007, 03:21 AM
GOOD LUCK BRO happy ur quitting it

punkd
10-17-2007, 03:22 AM
Thats great to hear that your trying to quit smoking

noobs are ppl 2
10-17-2007, 04:49 AM
smoking sucks i hate it all my friends got into either ciggarettes or weed or both god i hate that sht

Choob'R'Us
10-17-2007, 06:39 AM
YAY! Keep it up. I know you can do it. Just think of this... smoking kills and is NOT cool. It not only hurts you, but you can hurt others who are around you by creating second hand smoke. So, if you don't stop smoking, you are technically hurting others that you probably love along with yourself. You wouldn't want to do that would you? I thought not. Well, I wish you the best of luck! If you can't just quit cold terkey, i suggest that you smoke a little bit less each day until there's none left. Or, you could just stop buying them and savoring the ones that you have left until their gone. Don't give up, stick to your goal, and don't be tempted to backtrack to where you were before. Good luck. YOU CAN DO IT!

predalienrunner
10-17-2007, 06:50 AM
I don't smoke, but maybe dipping the cigarette filter end into anti-nail biting agent might work? (that's if you actually taste the cigarette :P)
that stuff is nasty, but not poisonous... (i am in no way liable for any accidents that occur.)

amrak
10-17-2007, 08:39 AM
yeah, like ironpot said, finding a mental distraction will kill those evil little short-term cravings quick-smart. preferably something that you can pick up and put down quickly.

i got a fire twirling stick, works well. you dont think about having a cigarette when your focusing on not setting yourself on fire.

also, be conscious of the fact that your brain will try to find excuses and reasons to get nicotine. it will make all kinds of crazy rationalizations that seem agreeable at the time, but seem silly later. just an easy trap to fall for.

if you really want to quit, cold turkey is the only way.

/edit

oh yeah, good luck :)

jez
10-17-2007, 08:55 AM
Hello everyone,

Cheers all,
James aka Pancakes.

Way too go! I like non-smokers. :spot:

omg...
10-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Good luck with it!
And good thing u smoked because some ppl kill themselves because some shit happens,like someone who lost a game and his parents didnt give him attention en then he just hung up himself....
But i dont think that will happen to u if u just pull out really long.

Pancakes
10-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Well yeah, I've 'quit' for about 3 days now, cause I was like... fuck it, I'll do it now. Yeah my parents know I smoke and quitting, my mum is good support but I swear I'm going crazy lol... BTW, I don't consider that I failed at quitting, even though I had 3 smokes yesterday. 3 smokes is a massive improvement on 15 smokes :p

Sorry for not keeping this thread update lol :)

Pancakes
10-18-2007, 10:59 PM
i got a fire twirling stick, works well. you dont think about having a cigarette when your focusing on not setting yourself on fire.

Rofl!

nefar
10-18-2007, 11:25 PM
I smoked from the time I was 15 till a few months ago -- at 34. In hind site wish I would of quit at your age. However, I thought I would share how I slowed down and quit. I was smoking 1-1.5 packs a day. What I did was log how long it was between me having a craving. I then slowly increased this time until 2 hours between smoking. Once I hit the two hour mark I quit all together. Other then being fairly crabby for a couple days the urge does not hit me to often anymore. It's a pain in the ass but well worth quitting -- When I started smoking it was 80 cents a pack. Right now it's $6.15 for a major brand here and in the next couple months they want to add another $1.00 in taxes to it. I would be lying if I said that did not have an effect on my decision to quit lol.

boomyshoe
10-19-2007, 12:01 AM
I hate smoking...gl irl tho!

richk1693
10-20-2007, 03:46 AM
Wow, smoking at the age of 15... That's really young, but its good that you're quitting.

[-jesus-]
10-20-2007, 04:22 AM
My bro started smoking @ 13 too :o. He's 16 now, don't know if he still smokes much =/ Good luck btw. & does any1 else here like the smell of smoke?(as long as it isnt really concentrated)

PS: this is you if you don't stop ;)
http://www.easternbirminghampct.nhs.uk/olderpeople/assets/Lung_smoker.gif

GoF
10-20-2007, 04:53 PM
[-jesus-] ... Nobody wants to see your mom, ok?

I tried to survive 1 day w/o nicotine.. After about 6-8 hours I just had to go outside and smoke one :p

legendaryhero90
10-20-2007, 05:52 PM
alright!

one less smoker in the world.

Ilikepie1995
10-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Good job you are qutting smoking, iam 12 years old i tryed smoking but i stopped right after i did it lol, doesn't feel like anything, just gets your lungs bad :eek: .

red eyes 20
11-05-2007, 04:35 PM
quite man!
i almost started at 13 to (i'm 15 aswell)
but the second day i though, WTF I AM I DOING THIS FOR???
and stopped and dicided not to do it again
no point in smoking, be strong and stop ^_^
and don't trick your self into just one smoke, not one at all
good luck pancakes

Eicca
11-05-2007, 05:52 PM
As a "never smoked a cigaret" its so hard to belive, that the quitting is that hard, but so many people says that its such a pain trying to quit, that I am starting to belive :D

Paul23
11-05-2007, 09:44 PM
trying to quit is montrous

c0de
11-06-2007, 02:20 AM
I wonder why you guys start doing it in first place?

I see no excitement in it, it smells bad, it makes your teeth yellow... Why do it?

Is it the one: Do it for team? Everyone else does it...?
My friends get at me because I don't smoke, they go like, come on, light one just for us... Then I ask them why do they smoke? Imagine what happens next... Yes, they shut the fuck up. They don't know it, all they know is that they spend money on cigs every day, and that they can't quit it...

Do you think it makes you look mature? Think again... Mature person thinks before he acts.

I don't see point in smoking, and no problem should make you start smoking or doing drugs.

Good luck with your goal, I totally support you there.

gerauchert
11-06-2007, 03:18 AM
crazy how young kids are starting...im glad i was never apart of that

nvr smoked a cig in my life, but an occasional cigar aint bad :sasmokin:

glad you are gettin your butt in gear and deciding to quit, i just hope you stay with it ;)

good luck

gillian
11-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Pancakes m'dear .. hope you are doing well with this .. a worthy cause for you .. you can do it, I'm sure! ;)

Naum
11-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Well good job your doing. Hope you succeed.

->{Nauman}<-

Nose Smasher
11-08-2007, 10:37 PM
I know how you feel man... exept I started when i was your age :-p (16 - I'm 18 now) for a while i was doin about 1 and 1/2 packs a day (1 carton per week...) {Newport 100's} it really messes your lungs up bro... glad to hear you're quiting (You better STILL be smoke FREE!) Best of luck to you! BE STRONG!

I just quit about 3 or 4 months ago...

EDIT: I was readin some of the other posts... dont listen to poeple who never smoked before, atleast the ignorant ones... I'm sure you had every reason in the world to start smokin (assuming you weren't some stupid kid jus tryin to be "kool") but keep in mind you have every reason in the world to STOP smokin now ;-)

uncfan1119
11-16-2007, 08:04 PM
In 1 of those anti smoking commericals I saw like it said even cutting down the amount doesn't help. GL tho:p Smoking smells, that's why I'm never gonna do it.

I wonder why you guys start doing it in first place?

I see no excitement in it, it smells bad, it makes your teeth yellow... Why do it?

Is it the one: Do it for team? Everyone else does it...?
My friends get at me because I don't smoke, they go like, come on, light one just for us... Then I ask them why do they smoke? Imagine what happens next... Yes, they shut the fuck up. They don't know it, all they know is that they spend money on cigs every day, and that they can't quit it...

Do you think it makes you look mature? Think again... Mature person thinks before he acts.

I don't see point in smoking, and no problem should make you start smoking or doing drugs.

Good luck with your goal, I totally support you there.

^^ Agreed

napper
11-19-2007, 04:30 AM
Good for you, I hope your successful, you know, "that cigarettes gonna kill you someday"(off triple x--a movie hehe), but anyways gl, i wish my parents would quit, mom smokes and dad chews, although they are divorced, but still, what a combination lol

§hãttêrëd Rèƒlé¢tîøñ
11-19-2007, 04:33 AM
Good luck for sure. Buy some gum =]

dr.quantumphysics
12-05-2007, 11:55 PM
I have to agree, there is no such thing as eventually.

There is only a now and a never.

So you are either dead right now or you are immortal? :D

BenLand100
12-05-2007, 11:58 PM
I'm just curious, I ask everyone I know who stops smoking if they ever thought about this. You've read the surgeon general's warnings right?

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Smoking Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy.
SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Quitting Smoking Now Greatly Reduces Serious Risks to Your Health.
SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Smoking By Pregnant Women May Result in Fetal Injury, Premature Birth, And Low Birth Weight.
SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Cigarette Smoke Contains Carbon Monoxide.Did you ever consider that they can be simplified to "Smoking causes death"? :sasmokin:

d0pe b0i
12-06-2007, 12:32 AM
well i quit a month and a half ago. shit happens. its ironic how i smoked the first cig ive had in awhile today since my mom found my pack and my girlfriend broke up with me after a year and 7 months... im 15 and its hard as hell to quit. i feel you bro. still staying strong?

dr.quantumphysics
12-06-2007, 12:36 AM
I'm just curious, I ask everyone I know who stops smoking if they ever thought about this. You've read the surgeon general's warnings right?

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Smoking Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy.
SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Quitting Smoking Now Greatly Reduces Serious Risks to Your Health.
SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Smoking By Pregnant Women May Result in Fetal Injury, Premature Birth, And Low Birth Weight.
SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Cigarette Smoke Contains Carbon Monoxide.Did you ever consider that they can be simplified to "Smoking causes death"? :sasmokin:

they could but people would complain that theres not enogth proof.

isent it funny(sad) how people complane just for the sake of comlaning. such as complaning about public places discriminating aginst religions. even if they have never seen discrimination of someones religion.

coo too
01-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Gd Luck

Markus
01-26-2008, 12:16 PM
12-06-2007, 01:36 AM
You realize that you are gravedigging, don't you?

nielsie95
01-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Closed.

Rikje
01-26-2008, 03:53 PM
O rly? :p

Sorry [a]

nielsie95
01-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Yes. :garfield: