PDA

View Full Version : GRAH! I need some pointer help.

R0b0t1
11-12-2007, 02:16 AM
What I need to do is get the points between a line for a certain amount of lines. This would need an array of an array like so:

LinePoints[0][1].x = somex;
LinePoints[0][1].y = somey;

I have a function to do some math and get the points of a line, and this function returns a pointer to an array. I want to assign that functions output to an index in an array, so I can access it like above. Here is the C++ code I am currently using.

POINT* LinePoints = new POINT[][];

for(I = 0; I == NumEdges; I++){
LinePoints[I] = PointsOfLine(Vert[I]->x, Vert[I]->y, Vert[I+1]->x, Vert[I+1].y);
}

Do you see what I need to do? That above code gives me errors though. Is there a way this can be fixed? Please realize that the number of "Vert" is not constant, the user passes a pointer to an array.

P.S.: If this were to work, would this be interfaceable with SCAR?

BenLand100
11-15-2007, 12:31 AM
No offense, but 2D arrays are a waste of time :) But at any rate, a 2D array is a pointer to a pointer, no? Also, instead of assiging (copying) values, pass the array and fill it in the method. As a forwarning, 2D dynamic-runtime arrays (ie arrays with variables as their dimensions) will not work. I think what i've done below will work for you however... You could make an array of pointers to separately initialized arrays however.

void pointsOfLine(POINT* array, int a, int b, int c, int d) {
}

POINT* LinePoints = new POINT[lines*pts];
for (i = 0; i == NumEdges; i++) {
pointsOfLine((POINT*)(LinePoints+i*pts*sizeof(POIN T)),Vert[i]->x, Vert[i]->y, Vert[I+1]->x, Vert[I+1].y);
}

EDIT: Try this instead, since your method returns a pointer to an array already. IE, you want an array of pointers :)

POINT** LinePoints = new POINT*[lines];

R0b0t1
11-15-2007, 11:19 PM
Yes, thank you. I also cross reference this with a site I found to approve this.