PDA

View Full Version : Should teachers carry guns?

U Got Jacked Up
11-13-2007, 08:11 PM
What are your guys/girls (do we have any girls on this site?) views on the idea of allowing certain "TRAINED" teachers to carry guns to protect kids at schools these days?

Its so easy to walk into school and just kill kids but if a teacher had a gun they could actually put up a fight?

Or train kids to attack the shooter when he enters the room?

Or screw me thats the stupidest idea uve ever heard of?

Let me know what u think

Harry
11-13-2007, 08:29 PM
IMO, teachers should NOT be able to- only police officers. (There are about 3 in my school, just be in popular areas, look for fights + stuff, but my school isn't really that violent)

And yes we do have girls here, just not as much as there should be :(

Ruroken
11-13-2007, 08:39 PM
What a shocking thought.

Teachers should not be able to carry guns. Just make gun laws much, much more strict.

LordGregGreg
11-13-2007, 08:42 PM
YEs! Right to bear arms! Hells yeah! Load em up! The more people with guns.. the less chance a suicide kid has of getting away with killing lots of people. Hed get gunned down after like 3.

They should all be loaded and unlocked for fast relexes, and mabey we can kill that crazy kid fast enough to only let him kill one person.

In fact, i think that the students should be heavily armed as well for their own safety.

it buggs the hell out of me when i hear about a school shooting, where some guy has a gun, and complelty out arms everyone. all the students can really do is run away and get shot in the back. and PRAY that the cop runs to help in time.

No one, even a crazy one, should be ABLE to get away killing more than one person, unless he is just bloody skilled.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

We need to keep guns out of the school. Guns kill people, and we alrweay have enough school tragedies. Even police officrs who have been trained how and when to use them should not be able to.

Even if they were umnloaded, guns in general are a security risk, as kid could steal it from the oficer.

If we want to stop tragedies hapening in school, we need to keep any weapons OUT of the school

-----------------------------------------------------------------

huh? why cant kids have guns at school? If i had a gun at school i would NOT go around shooting peiople.

teachers are older? so?

look, kids don't go around wanting to kill their class mates, if they did, they could just do it outside of school. Its just a few crazy nuts that get influnced by (---edited to prevent argument---)

And if you look at criminal records, there are just as many adults., (if not more) crazy nuts who like randomly opening fire.

And teachers, i really dont hold to a higher more or responsible standard than the kids. Sure they are a little bit mature, and that wil help some, but in general i just think it will mean the ones that do go crazy will do a better job of it.

guns only to police officers who have been in the service long enough for people to know they arent crazy. (actualy, scratch that last idea... just statistically the less people in a school with guns the better)

Kik
11-13-2007, 09:03 PM
School shootings would probably increase 10-fold if that happened.

1) Kids could easily jack a gun off one of the smaller teachers and start a rampage if they don't have access to one at home.

2) Security guards already carry guns throughout the school; our school has 2 or 3 of them.

3) Teachers are probably just as likely to go on shooting rampages as kids - think of the sick teachers who molest kids after school. I'm sure if they're willing to do that and risk 30 years in prison, they wouldn't mind shooting a few, too.

And a few others I don't feel like listing. Gotta go do homework.

ShowerThoughts
11-13-2007, 09:07 PM
you didnt do your homework!!!!, *dead*...

P1nky
11-13-2007, 09:16 PM
we have cops in my school but, we should let the PRICIPALS hold GUNS!

richk1693
11-13-2007, 09:16 PM
I vote no on this one. That's just a bad idea.

moparisthebest
11-13-2007, 09:58 PM
Of course! If teachers have a valid Concealed Carry permit they should be able to carry in schools.

In fact the main reason schools are targeted by criminals is because they are a 'Target zone' since laws make them gun-free. (note 'gun-free' only means law-abiding citizens can't carry guns there, criminals who plan on killing people don't give a rat's ass about a law that says they can't carry guns)

Every school shooting so far (including virginia tech) has been in a 'no-gun zone', and that has so far stopped 0 criminals, what would stop criminals is allowing law-abiding concealed carry holders to carry guns there as well. Recently at my college (and other colleges across the state) I and other concealed carry permit holders staged a silent protest by wearing empty holsters on campus to show how we are being disarmed when we walk onto campus. I am a strong believer in the right to bear arms and I carry my pistol everywhere where it is legal for me to do so, which is for me pretty much everywhere but on campus.

JuKKa
11-13-2007, 10:07 PM
It would get really un-safe if the teacher would carry a gun. Think about it.. A teacher that hasnt been in army. And most of the teacher in my school are so young that i doubt they will be ready to protect us from a crazy shooter.

In finland a 18 year old shooter attacked a school, One teacher got interview'd he said: 'I just ran for my life'. The teacher didnt even think one second about the students he just ran away. So it would be rather unneccecary for the teachers to carry guns.

In my class i theres a boy with ADHD (he cant controll him self at all) he does anything. We just say something that he has to do and he does it. He even shows his ass to the teacher. Now what if someone said: 'Steal the teachers gun and shoot him/her'. It would be a caos!

-JuKKa

josh81193
11-13-2007, 10:12 PM
certain teachers should, like the 60 yr old, female, english teacher should not due to some obvious reasons and probably wouldnt be able to know how to work it
and like the 30 yr old soccer coach should due to obvious reasons

have like the state look at ur background and see if ur capable to use a gun etc.

im mostly for teachers having guns :)

*edit* __________________________________________________ __________________
im only 14 i go to gun clubs and have my own 12 gauge, 22 cal rifle, and 22 cal hand gun
i know how to work all types of guns, i started with bb gun, went to paintballin, now real guns ;D
and i dont have any problems that would make me freak out and shoot my family (for now lol)

and it annoys me A LOT when an adult doesnt think i am cappable of doing sumthing or watching sumthing or handling sumthin >:(

Harry
11-13-2007, 10:15 PM
I still haven't changed my opinion. Teachers are normal people, with normal emotional problems. If we are giving guns to teachers, lets also give it to the general population too, mmmkay? And also people in mental hospitals, they need to be protected too! =O

R0b0t1
11-13-2007, 10:19 PM
I think everyone should be allowed to have a gun. And actually, in the united states, there is a right to bear arms, but it has to be like a gun strapped against your back and you need a sign saying you have a gun...

But my dad told me this: "Fighting a gun you will never win, but fighting a person you can." ... and proceeded with a demonstration on how to rip a person's throat out.

NxTitle
11-13-2007, 11:21 PM
No. Guns should only be used by law enforcement, not by "education enforcement".

Also, I would be scared if one of my teachers started using it as a teaching strategy:

"First one to answer this question doesn't get shot!"
(okay, maybe that's a bit unrealistic, but the point is that they could easily abuse the privilege.)

Most teachers will have good self-control of emotions (after all, they're teachers) but if one teacher doesn't, and ends up having a really bad day (or possibly a nervous breakdown), a gun sure won't help.

So, if someone threatens my life, I'll be perfectly fine with my hand-made taser, thank you :p

marzey
11-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Maybe Tazers ? they hurt lol

DaimosDenamos
11-13-2007, 11:35 PM
Shooting in schools isn't a common thing where I live(of course, this doesn't mean they don't happen out of schools), so maybe I am less influenced, but also, I may have less knowlege about this question.Still, I am gonna try out:
Why allow teachers to bear guns to protect students?As said before, they may be stealed, they may be used by a teacher who si not happy at all with his life.And if there is already the right to bear guns, why make such a law.
And, If there is a law like that, why don't teachers already bear guns, or lock them safely and near in their offices in case of emergencies?
I think teachers themselves don't agree with just giving some bullets to the unhappy guy who is trying to make a rampage in the playground.It is also sort of depressing for them, specially if the unhappy guy was their student.
Teachers choose this profession because they like to educate the people, make them learn.I imagine how it is hard whan you see someone you liked, you guided turn into a synonym of hatred.You fell like it was your guilty.Imagine if the one who done tha was you.Then we would have massive rampages inside the schools.

moparisthebest
11-14-2007, 01:31 AM
It seems that most of you don't understand, teachers aren't just going to be handed guns and told 'here you go, have fun'

Only teachers that have concealed carry licenses would be carrying, that means they pass an extensive background check, have no felonies and no violent misdemeanors, and no misdemeanors at all in the last 5 years, have no history of mental illness. Concealed carry permit holders also have to pass a class on gun safety and also qualify at the shooting range. Therefore every one of these teachers that would be carrying would have extensive qualifications to do so, and the gun would be CONCEALED, so you don't have to worry about students stealing it, because students would not even know the teacher was carrying in the first place.

Any more clarification needed?

Jason2gs
11-14-2007, 02:06 AM
If we are giving guns to teachers, lets also give it to the general population too, mmmkay?

Ever heard of the Right to Bear Arms? As long as you have a permit, the general population is allowed to carry a weapon.

{On topic}

As long as the teacher is checked out mentally, put em through training and strap a gun to their waist.

NxTitle
11-14-2007, 02:06 AM
It seems that most of you don't understand, teachers aren't just going to be handed guns and told 'here you go, have fun'

Only teachers that have concealed carry licenses would be carrying, that means they pass an extensive background check, have no felonies and no violent misdemeanors, and no misdemeanors at all in the last 5 years, have no history of mental illness. Concealed carry permit holders also have to pass a class on gun safety and also qualify at the shooting range. Therefore every one of these teachers that would be carrying would have extensive qualifications to do so, and the gun would be CONCEALED, so you don't have to worry about students stealing it, because students would not even know the teacher was carrying in the first place.

Any more clarification needed?
Point taken, but what if someone doesn't pass qualifications? Either that means the teachers would be forced to lose their job, or there would be teachers without guns and other teachers with guns. Also, concealed means nothing, as if someone wants to get to the gun, they will probably know how to.

The world is a scary place now, and giving teachers guns would not be a viable solution, because there could be so many things that could go wrong. When we are completely sure that students wouldn't attempt to steal it, or even worse, having a teacher use it him/herself against someone else.

Although, there would be some places where having a gun in a class room would be stupid. For example, a gun in a kindergarten's class is just asking for trouble, whereas a gun in a university/college class room would be okay.

IronTeapot
11-14-2007, 02:33 AM
Simple-ish answer(extremists view)
All people allowed guns anywhere for the following reasons:

Having a gun doesnt mean that one would use it to shoot someone. If someone was going to use a gun shoot someone, they would get their hands on a gun either way (legally/illegally).

The laws only keep good people in line. 'Bad' people disregard the laws and so will always have 'the upperhand'. If everyone could carry a gun, then the playing field would be the same. There is the issue of who has the bigger gun, but after a certain point it doesnt matter the size, it would still kill someone.

Ex:
Person 1 uses a gun to intimidate someone into doing something(giving money, rape, etc.). Person 1 generally assumes that the second person does not have equal means as they do.

If person 2 had a gun, person 1 would no longer have that advantage over them. If person 1 pulled a gun (to intimidate, not immediate fire), then person 2 could also pull their gun (once again to intimidate. Looking back to the main point, if they were going to shoot someone, they would have a gun anyways). The advantage of the attacker is now lost.

Restricting gun allowance does nothing but harm the innocent. Only law abiding people are going to follow the 'do not bring a gun' law. So one could generally assume that they wouldnt use a gun to do harm. People that would do harm, as has been mentioned, are going to bring it which ever the case.

Summary:
Only Attackers/aggrevators have guns= power over the 'good' people.
All people have a gun = Attackers/aggrevators no longer have that advantage

Tear this apart all you like. There will always be disadvantages to every solution, and as 'ban all guns everywhere' is not exactly possible(even if it was, 'bad' people would still get a gun)

'good' and 'bad' is used in the generic terms relating to this topic as good = people who dont shoot people for the intent of killing.

Hobbit
11-14-2007, 03:13 AM
Some of my teacher are more psychotic then any student in my school. I'd be freaked out of my mind if someone the teachers I have had guns. Especially since there are still teacher out there who rape and beat students, do you really want to give them any more tools to do that?

ZaSz
11-14-2007, 03:43 AM
If you don't pass this quiz you won't just fail this quiz. YOU FAIL YOUR LIFE *Shot* If a teacher is having a bad day, and feels he/she is worth nothing cause the kids aren't learning. The gun would be the answer to them.

P.s If the teacher also has stress cause of that the gun would make the teachers life go.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . **BAM**

Ruroken
11-14-2007, 04:24 AM
Well I like teachers. Around half the adults I know are teachers, and not one of them would carry a gun, much less abuse it.

wearenot
11-14-2007, 06:39 AM
no guys we should be more like canada and carry sticks lmfao jk but really i disagrre on teachers w/ guns
and for cops wise at my school we got like 8 seceurity gaurds and 1 full time cop who stay there the whole day(and hes a real cop)

moparisthebest
11-14-2007, 07:19 AM
Point taken, but what if someone doesn't pass qualifications? Either that means the teachers would be forced to lose their job, or there would be teachers without guns and other teachers with guns. Also, concealed means nothing, as if someone wants to get to the gun, they will probably know how to.

I don't think anyone is wanting to pass a law requiring all teachers to carry guns, that would be absurd. Only teachers who wish to earn a concealed carry permit would be the ones carrying guns, and only if they wanted to. And how are you going to steal a gun you don't know exists? Can't be done.

n3ss3s
11-14-2007, 12:35 PM
I dont think teachers should carry guns.

Not that teachers or students would shoot people for fun (well ~)
but some people can be kinda... Insane..

Like one of our teachers in the 5th grade, she started to cry and shout 'this is teachers school bullying!!' - guess would've she shot us all?

And if not in any violent meaning, some fag can maybe forgot to put teh safe, and when he/she starts to get books from her/his bag - "Sorry I really didnt mean to shoot you in the head!"

legendaryhero90
11-14-2007, 11:32 PM
simple.

NO! we got police officers for that crap.

and my teachers are actually really nice people if you get to know them well.

we only have 1 officer at our school (which isnt enough by my concerns) and that is the only person that should be allowed to carry any sort of deadly weapon simply because i dont want our schools turning into war zones or battlefields.

R0b0t1
11-14-2007, 11:45 PM
We get drug checks at my school. They bring in the dogs and they all seem to hate me. :\ Would mind it less if they weren't carrying guns.

moparisthebest
11-15-2007, 12:30 AM
You guys are so funny. So far most of you seem to think that if teachers were to carry guns they would start shooting people or schools would turn it to war zones. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! Sane, law-abiding citizens do not hurt people whether they are armed or not, this has been proven over and over again. In the last 20 years 37 states in the USA have passed concealed carry laws, and in those states crime has plummeted because law-abiding citizens were carrying guns. Wars did not break out, you do not see a firefight every day, crime simply went down because criminals (who have guns regardless of laws) know that any law-abiding citizen could be carrying a gun and are therefore less likely to commit crimes.

oliver1205
11-15-2007, 01:30 AM
intresting idea. if a student did bring a gun to school i dont see how it could hurt. usually the fag ends up killing himself anyways. good idea.

sweetleaf
11-15-2007, 07:31 AM
strange, we just had a discussion about this topic yesterday at school.

i think depending on the type of neighborhood the school is in, then that is what should determine what kind of protection a teacher can have. but definetly nothing lethal.

Naum
11-15-2007, 07:38 AM
Why don't they just scrap the gun law. I mean the uk got people walking with guns just did a gun amnesty and bang about 200 guns appeared. Only the army should carry guns, the police should have extendable battons. About 30 odd school shooting happen a year. About 1 school shooting in the uk happens every 12 years.:spongebob:

#SS

LordGregGreg
11-15-2007, 08:37 AM
Why don't they just scrap the gun law. I mean the uk got people walking with guns just did a gun amnesty and bang about 200 guns appeared. Only the army should carry guns, the police should have extendable battons. About 30 odd school shooting happen a year. About 1 school shooting in the uk happens every 12 years.:spongebob:

#SS

wow... your..
how do i say it nicely?

NOT THINKING

regurgitating the crap you have been told.

you are basically saying "i want to be outarmed". You want the government to be able to control you??

you WANT them to be the only ones with guns?

gah.. unbelivavbly... nieve.

moparisthebest
11-15-2007, 10:22 AM

#SS

In addition to what LordGregGreg said.

Ever since the UK banned guns, crime has shot up up and up, enjoy your high crime and not being able to defend yourself against gun-wielding criminals? Learn to think for yourself man! :) Outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns. Think about it, criminals are of course not going to turn their guns in if they are banned, they are criminals, so you are only removing guns from law-abiding citizens who would only prevent crime in the first place. Plus, criminals love helpless victims.

R0b0t1
11-16-2007, 02:22 AM
Wow ^ thats gay. Bad UK!

mynameisjoe
11-19-2007, 02:45 AM
I think they should not be allowed to hold a gun while teaching, probably if he/she even took it out for a second, they would get sued for threatening a student, in this day and age. You know those "Drug Free School Zone" signs?

"Gun Free School Zone" FTW

gamer 5
11-19-2007, 03:36 AM
If teachers carried guns in my school there would be no more students left!!!
We like to make them mad!!! :p
Thats why Police officers are 4 there is like 5 in my school.

p.s. Teachers are evil!!!:D

moparisthebest
11-20-2007, 07:49 AM
"Gun Free School Zone" FTW

That is the problem, criminals and psychos like the guy at Virginia Tech know they are gun free zones, and that means criminals are free to carry guns there without fear of a law-abiding citizen having a gun to protect themselves.

Yakman
11-20-2007, 09:51 AM
well it seems like a good idea, but we dont know what being a teacher is like,

like we once had a science teacher who used to work in the city, but we saw some teacher advert and decided to "try to give something back", lol what an idiot :P
my physics teacher said they were holding bets in the science department, about how long he would last.
anyway, so after 3 months, he comes to the headmaster and breaks down, begging to quit the job.
I'm sure in that state of mind, he would love to pull out his concealed gun and start banging away at us, or maybe himself :p
I should not speak ill of the dead, because after this, he died in an unrelated incident, my school made the news for it. :P

probably an extream example, but my point is, non of us here are teachers i dont think, so we dont know if theres something in the job not good.

Jackrawl
11-20-2007, 08:16 PM
Why shouldn't teachers be allowed to carry guns..? The ones who would attempt to end some student's life wouldn't check with the law anyway. Common sense...Durr. I say allow them to carry guns, it's not like they wouldn't get restricted anyway.

dr.quantumphysics
12-05-2007, 11:33 PM
No. Guns should only be used by law enforcement, not by "education enforcement".

Also, I would be scared if one of my teachers started using it as a teaching strategy:

"First one to answer this question doesn't get shot!"
(okay, maybe that's a bit unrealistic, but the point is that they could easily abuse the privilege.)

Most teachers will have good self-control of emotions (after all, they're teachers) but if one teacher doesn't, and ends up having a really bad day (or possibly a nervous breakdown), a gun sure won't help.

So, if someone threatens my life, I'll be perfectly fine with my hand-made taser, thank you :p

glad to see im not the only one with a handmade taseer :)

dr.quantumphysics
12-05-2007, 11:46 PM
You guys are so funny. So far most of you seem to think that if teachers were to carry guns they would start shooting people or schools would turn it to war zones. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! Sane, law-abiding citizens do not hurt people whether they are armed or not, this has been proven over and over again. In the last 20 years 37 states in the USA have passed concealed carry laws, and in those states crime has plummeted because law-abiding citizens were carrying guns. Wars did not break out, you do not see a firefight every day, crime simply went down because criminals (who have guns regardless of laws) know that any law-abiding citizen could be carrying a gun and are therefore less likely to commit crimes.

In 1986, the year before Florida passed its law, the state saw 1,371 murders, or 11.8 per 100,000 residents. In 1993, the last year for which statistics are available, the state had 1,224 homicides or 8.9 per 100,000 people. That's below the national rate of 9.5 per 100,000.

A G E N T
12-13-2007, 01:27 AM
Why don't they just scrap the gun law. I mean the uk got people walking with guns just did a gun amnesty and bang about 200 guns appeared. Only the army should carry guns, the police should have extendable battons. About 30 odd school shooting happen a year. About 1 school shooting in the uk happens every 12 years.

#SS

I agree. Gun control laws in the US are ridiculous. There are gun stores there like there are hardware stores in the UK, Canada, etc. The reason that gun crime is so common is that guns are so common; more on topic, and more specifically, school shootings.

People always talk about how problems at home, and VIOLENT VIDEO GAMES (lulz) make kids do stuff like that. The underlying problem is that Student Sam can access, with ease, deadly weapons.

wow... your..
how do i say it nicely?

NOT THINKING

regurgitating the crap you have been told.

you are basically saying "i want to be outarmed". You want the government to be able to control you??

you WANT them to be the only ones with guns?

gah.. unbelivavbly... nieve.

Quite frankly, I would FAR rather be "outarmed" by the army than everyone and his dog. And if you really think its "nieve" to allow your government to have weapons, then I think you ought to be emigrating to someplace else.
To put it shortly, he wasn't really regurgitating crap at all.

To respond to the original topic, I don't think this would be a good idea -- for one thing, teachers are only human - they might get careless with their firearms. For another thing; there's a difference between being able to hit a piece of wood at 20 metres, as compared to shooting someone dead while they're shooting at you.