PDA

View Full Version : The Blow-Your-Head-Off-Discussions Thread.

R0b0t1
11-16-2007, 11:03 PM
This is for all of those subjects that will make your head explode.

First, I was thinking what frictionless would be, and I came up with this:

If you look at any object, even the "smoothest", and zoom into the atoms, you will realize there is massive peaks and divits. What I think causes friction is caused by the ripping of the atomic bonds between between atoms when two in-perfect surfaces rub against each other. So, if you had a perfectly smooth surface, down to the atomic level, and it had no thermal energy ( 0 degrees kelvin) which would mean it had no movement of the molecules and that "waving" molecules would not rub against another object. This surface would, in effect (according to my awesomeness) be completely frictionless.

Now, if you attempt to be a jackass and point out that one of these objects and another "imperfect" object would create an inseparable vacuum, think again. It would only create a bond If both objects where very very smooth (like two perfect surfaces being pressed together). anyways, you might be able to slide it off :).

I've also read a book named "Ring World" (kinda like a giant super awesome halo game ring) had a surface that was atomically perfect in this way ('cept it wasn't at 0 kelvin) and was engineered by nanites at the molecular level. This made it extremely strong, so if you made a blade with a 1 molecule width head it would be like... The bannage blade. (There is also a part in the book that it points out that if the nanites were building a object, a person who walked through it would be chopped pretty quick)