PDA

View Full Version : New Skill o0o0o

NiCbaZ
11-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Yes, you read that right – Summoning is coming! It's a big deal for everyone, so to whet your appetites, we're releasing four, count 'em, four mini Development Diaries in the run up to its January 2008 release. We'll be focusing on the work that goes into developing a new skill for RuneScape, so there won't be too many spoilers about the actual skill itself. Everything in these diaries is only scratching the surface – we don't want to give it all away before it comes out! There will, however, be some interesting titbits of information, which should give everyone plenty to discuss on the Forums...

Previously, on Behind the Scenes

Summoning was first mentioned in the Behind the Scenes (BTS) of March 31st 2004. "We wrote that BTS to suggest some of the things we wanted to do, which we now could with the new RuneScape engine (RS2), to encourage players to move over from RuneScape Classic," says Paul, Senior Game Designer. A lot of those projects have since been released – Construction, Treasure Trails, boardgames, quest journals – but of the rest, Paul continues, "They're big projects and, previously, we couldn't work on many at the same time...some were a little on the optimistic side! (laughs) Summoning was being talked about by players even before that BTS, though, and we agreed it was a cool idea, so we had to do it." Players have been talking about and expecting it ever since.

For those that are wondering, the main ones left to do are a 'frozen lands' area, randomly-generated scenarios, lizardmen and player-owned shops. Senior Creative Designer, Mod Mark says, "Player-owned shops are the only thing that isn't currently possible, but we've made the Grand Exchange, which is close in concept and awesome in its own right. We're making advances in technology all the time, so player-owned shops might be possible in the future. The other things are still on the cards in the distant future." We did say in that BTS we'd do them 'within the year', and Mod Mark jokes, "The thing is, no one knows how long a RuneScape year is – we're still in year 169 of the 5th Age. If anything, we're making good progress. (laughs)" Paul finishes with, "Yeah, 169 is taking a while, isn't it? (laughs)"

Proof of life (runes)

"We actually made the life rune for Classic, but didn't release it. Some players discovered its existence, but there was no way to actually get it."

Paul
RuneScape Content Team

"Initially, we were considering Summoning as an addition to Magic. We actually made the life rune for Classic, but didn't release it. Some players discovered its existence, but there was no way to actually get it," says Paul. Developing the RS2 engine held up things for a while and, by the time we got back to Summoning, there'd been some changes. "At that point, Magic was already filling out and we were also concepting Desert Treasure and alternate spellbooks, so decided it would be better as a new skill rather than an addition to an older one," says Mod Mark.

The life rune, from RuneScape Classic, was never actually released

"Mod Bennett had recently finished the Slayer skill (January 2005), so started on the design brief for Summoning as a skill, laying out how it would work," says Mod Mark. The concept was good, but it didn't fit in with what we were doing with the rest of the game. Considering the other content we were working on and that the game was growing, we decided that first concept for Summoning wouldn't have a broad enough appeal. So, after another few months break and a move to larger offices, we approached it from a different angle – widening the scope of the skill to make it as good as it could be.

s3xy yea

Narcle
11-25-2007, 10:06 AM
I just hope you can summon a "Pack Mule" to hold 30 items or something for you. That would kick ass.

Submersal
11-25-2007, 11:02 AM
I would think "summoning' would have something to do with casting creatures?

Runescapian321
11-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Already a thread on this - http://www.villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21501?t=23458&highlight=summoning

Old news :p Wait till tomorrow or Tuesday and we can talk about the Grand Exchange (hopefully)!

P1nky
11-25-2007, 08:29 PM
LOL thats sweet better be cool =)

Sliver Knight
11-25-2007, 09:08 PM
carnt wait....

Buckleyindahouse
11-25-2007, 09:47 PM
I think this update will be dumb, should of done something else or made the previous skills better.

ZaSz
11-25-2007, 09:51 PM
This update will be okay but soon the grand exchange will be here yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

red eyes 20
11-25-2007, 09:53 PM
I just hope you can summon a "Pack Mule" to hold 30 items or something for you. That would kick ass.

lol a mule is a ASS , and they kick too =p ^_^

and i can't wait to have over 126 combat cap, cause lvl 3's using summond monsters would be, um, more unfair then autoing

=p

vcvv
01-09-2008, 06:26 AM
Is this for p2p only? Or for the whole Runescape?

ZaSz
01-09-2008, 07:15 AM
Is this for p2p only? Or for the whole Runescape?

Don't gravedig and i think it will be p2p only

vcvv
01-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Sorry, there wasn't any other new topics, and I was curious if it would be p2p or f2p skill.
Will it work in f2p worlds?

ge0force
01-10-2008, 02:52 AM
read developement diarys 4 ...and ull kno

yanix
01-11-2008, 07:39 AM

Go play SilkRoad!:D

and pretty good idea but has anyone thougtt about what lagg itll be? think about it, 100 users online, about 5000 or something monsters? in memb there more i think but think about when u release ur own monster and itll just be more and more lagg.. right?

n3ss3s
01-11-2008, 06:33 PM
and pretty good idea but has anyone thougtt about what lagg itll be? think about it, 100 users online, about 5000 or something monsters? in memb there more i think but think about when u release ur own monster and itll just be more and more lagg.. right?

Have you got any idea what are you talking about?

:p It doesn't lagg when a player walks pasts you does it? :)

yanix
01-11-2008, 07:07 PM
No, but if theres about 250 players on same spot like Fally there WILL be laggy.. so why not with summoned creatuers?

Swift
01-11-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm pretty sure lag is 1% of the problems they'll have with summoning. Lag can be eliminated very easily...