PDA

View Full Version : Running SCAR + Runescape in Linux

botmaster
11-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Introduction

WARNING: for Linux users only. Do not, I repeat DO NOT attempt this on a Windows machine, or you will regret it so badly you will commit suicide afterwards.

Maybe you've experienced what I've experienced: You absolutely despise Windows and want to switch to the faster, more secure, more productive, more powerful, more versatile *insert various attributes here* Linux operating system.

So you've downloaded the distro that suits you best, gotten some l33t software, and now... you realize that... OMFG!! SCAR DOESN'T WORK!!!

Alright... relax. There's no need to get a heart attack. Botmaster saves the day with his arrogant style and uber-hax0r skillz :p.

Some stuff you'll need...

First things first. You need WINE and all optional WINE components to successfully run SCAR on your machine. Notice that the install may differ depending on your machine, distribution/package manager. This means I won't go into detail. If you're l337 enough to own a Linux/GNU powered machine, you're l337 enough to install a program on it.

Bah... enough of that. Of course, you'll also need the SCAR install executable from freddy1990's site.

Just for clarification: WINE is NOT an emulator. It just provides the libraries and the API required by the SCAR executable. In essence, it is a runtime environment for windows applications. However, it can function as a quasi-emulator. Which is exactly what we want :p

Configuring WINE

So Wine is up and runnning? Run wine-config, or the command winecfg. Tweak the settings until you get what you want depending on your preferences.

However, in the graphics tab, make SURE all boxes are unticked except for the one emulating a virtual desktop. Also, change the desktop size to be 1024*700px.

Installing Firefox and SCAR in WINE

The first thing you want to do now that you've successfully built your emulation environment is to install SCAR, right? Oh goodiee... Just run the windows executable you've downloaded, and WINE should automatically install it like it would on window$.

Once done... Download Firefox from mozilla.org, except: DOWNLOAD THE WINDOW$ version, NOT the linux one. You probably already have that one. So don't make a stupid mistake and simply click download just like that. No, you have to search for the windows version.

Also install it the way you would with normal windows applications. Now you already have two apps... Only a few more things left to auto like crazy on RS in Linux...

Shell scripts for easy access to our WINE emulated executables (optional)

Now make a shell script containing the following code:

wine "/home/[your username]/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/firefox.exe"

Save it as firefox_emulated.sh. You're not done yet... one more shell script:

wine "/home/[your username]/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/[SCAR version]/scar.exe"

Save this as SCAR_emulated.sh, and chmod both of the scripts to be executable for your usergroup.

Getting JAVA working inside WINE

Run firefox_emulated.sh, or simply directly run the executable from a terminal. In the emulated browser that pops up, go to www.java.com. There, download the JRE for windows. No searching needed no more... Java's website detects you as WindowZ user now, so you can be sure the first download they offer is the right one. Remember: GET THE JRE, NOT, I REPEAT NOT the JDK bundle. The JDK will crash WINE and is almost impossible to remove from the virtualization/emulation environment.

Install the downloaded java using WINE.

Running SCAR, RS simultanously...

... will result in you being able to drag the crosshair now. Of course, that's only if you configured it right.

SCAR doesn't run perfect in WINE. Some functions are disabled, such as viewing certain menus (will cause a memory fault), and window finding functions working with HWND or window titles will not work. Neither will ActivateClient.

However, text and mouse functions work flawlessly.

At any rate... Have fun autoing. I'm still dormant on the forums, so don't expect many edits. This is my second post in 6 months. But... I still appreciate any comments, however nice or evil :p

mastaraymond
11-29-2007, 11:26 PM
Thank you! It works for me! _o_

thadav3
04-06-2008, 12:46 PM
lol, i'm gonna try right now!

EvilChicken!
04-06-2008, 12:57 PM
11-28-2007, 02:25 PM

Very nice bump.
But, on the other side, this might be a good guide to bump..

thadav3
04-06-2008, 01:06 PM
i'm not happy, whenever i type winecfg in the command it says that it cant create window height, what to do now?

raymando
04-12-2008, 03:15 PM
It don't work for me. Im running pclinuxos 2007 minime and if i try to install jre a window appears for 0.0001 second. Then nothing happens:spot: :spot:

Jelloman
04-13-2008, 08:14 PM
when i try installing scar trhough wine after i select "agree" and it asks u where to install the files, i click next and a error comes up that says "external exception: 80000100" and then the only thing i can do is exit installation, im using ubuntu 7.04

botmaster
04-14-2008, 08:23 AM
when i try installing scar trhough wine after i select "agree" and it asks u where to install the files, i click next and a error comes up that says "external exception: 80000100" and then the only thing i can do is exit installation, im using ubuntu 7.04

Strange. Maybe it depends on which version you're using. I've tried 3.13 and it worked; not sure about 3.14 or later.

Well, another thing I've done in order to maximize compatibility was to use original micr0soft bins. That means, since I have a windows copy available to me and on my drive (multi partitioned), I simply told wine to use those .dlls and .exes in the /mnt/windows/WINDOWS/system32/ folder. Depending on your system configuration, this may or may not be possible.
Another thing you can try doing is, if you have a windows machine available somewhere else, simply install SCAR there to extract the .msi or .exe (can't remember what SCAR uses). Then, simply copy over the files in the C:/Program Files/SCAR #.##/ folder into your $home/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/ folder. That way, you won't have to use the install application.

SCAR should be able to run without these hacks though.

Also, with the JRE I had the same problem of it not installing correctly the first time. Simply try again and it should install; if not, fuck linux, and simply stick with Redmond's overpriced monopolized Vista/XP.

Please note that java and firefox under wine run rather slowly, so some scripts that are very fast may not work. Try modifying the wait()'s in the script.

Hope this helps.

Jelloman
04-14-2008, 07:27 PM
i also have a partitioned drive with xp also on it, im not very formiliar with ubuntu so maybe after messin with it for a lil while ill get sumthing to work

Shady?
05-08-2008, 11:26 PM
I just installed the subversion, and i get the "couldn't move plugins" problem, anyone knows how to fix?

Harry
05-08-2008, 11:27 PM
I just installed the subversion, and i get the "couldn't move plugins" problem, anyone knows how to fix?

Run SCAR.exe as "Administrator"

Bobarkinator
05-08-2008, 11:53 PM

Check the thread you are in?

Shady?
05-09-2008, 02:30 AM

yes i thought about that but since im on ubuntu, how would i do that? im new to ubuntu i just installed it because i got a free cd, and i want to see how does scar with smart works on it. This is all i was able to do (due to my knowledge)
right clicked on scar.exe, went to permissions tab, under groups i selected admin.
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/157/pantallazodd7.png

Im sorry if my english zooks, its just that im from argentina.

Not a L33cher
12-03-2008, 12:24 AM
Ya I got the same problem as Shady? Hope this ain't a gravedig. Sorry if it is. Any help?

Wizzup?
12-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Ya I got the same problem as Shady? Hope this ain't a gravedig. Sorry if it is. Any help?

Either try doing what Shady did. (Run as root / admin)
I think your best easy solution is right clicking it and executing it as admin. Otherwhise, open up a terminal:
Type:

sudo bash
*enter your pass when asked*
cd path/to/the/scar/folder
sudo ./scar.exe

I don't exactly remember how WINE's programs are mounted / where they are stored, so you'll have to figure that out first. :)
That should work. Untested though. :p

Not a L33cher
12-03-2008, 10:07 PM
wine: /home/home/.wine is not owned by you
WTF?

Jason2gs
12-03-2008, 11:02 PM
WTF?

Just what it says. "wine is not owned by you".

Run it without sudo.

I'm here under the command of Wizzup?, BTW. Otherwise I wouldn't be breaking my inactivity string with a post this short and inelegant.

Not a L33cher
12-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Sorry for making you break your all-mighty inactivity string. Still wine isn't owned by me? Wtf its my computer!

root@home-desktop:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/SCAR 3.15# ./scar.exe

Jason2gs
12-04-2008, 01:27 AM
Sorry, let me explain.

WINE is not owned by you, being root.

WINE is owned by whomever installed it. That is, the user.

Try doing what you're doing, but without the "sudo bash" bit.

senrath
12-04-2008, 01:38 AM
Sorry, let me explain.

WINE is not owned by you, being root.

WINE is owned by whomever installed it. That is, the user.

Try doing what you're doing, but without the "sudo bash" bit.

Hang on. I could have sworn that root is supposed to own everything.

Jason2gs
12-04-2008, 02:32 AM
Hang on. I could have sworn that root is supposed to own everything.

That's true.

Root still owns WINE. But WINE is saying that root can't run any applications through WINE, because it's root.

You don't need to use root anyways. WINE is a userspace command, and it's system-side. Meaning anyone can invoke it.

Not a L33cher
12-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Still does not work. Isn't owned by the user who installed it either. I am fed up with Xubuntu now.

Jason2gs
12-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Still does not work. Isn't owned by the user who installed it either. I am fed up with Xubuntu now.

No, it should be able to be run by anybody on the machine...

What exactly are you running? Are you using 'sudo' at all?

bevardis
01-31-2009, 08:34 AM
m, I might just reinstall the os, my windows.
I'm using linux 'cause my windows os is lagging :|

Pika chew
01-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks :) got everything running smoother. Ive been using a cruddy laptop before :P