PDA

View Full Version : Short Mystery I Did for Grade 10 English

Original Daniel
08-19-2006, 11:02 AM
It was late at night, everything was completely silent. Only the occasional water dripping on the roof from the wet trees above broke the silence. No cars drove past, due to the recent storm and frosty streets. Nobody saw or heard the dark figure move silently across the room, almost catlike. The man swung a thirty year old door open, wincing at the loud creak. Rudo Amadi sat in a large spanish oak chair at a table on the other side of the room. The intruder crossed the room pulling out a large blunt piece of metal. “No.” Moaned Rudo. “Raising it high above his head, the man then struck the african in the temple once, twice then three times. He then dragged the limp body over to the balcony and threw it off. Six stories down there was a loud thump as Rudos body hit the ground.
“So we can't even get an autopsy?” I ask angrily. “No sir,” Johnstan replies nervously. “His will specifically requests that no medical tests were to be done to him after he died.” I spit my cigar out at him. “He got murdered! Get the tests done I want to know how and when he died.”
“The matter would need to be brought to court before we can legally do any tests on him, and that could take weeks, a month maybe. “Ok fine what are we dealing with then?” I demand. “I only just got here.”
“Rudo Amadi, an african businessman. The body was found under the balcony of his bedroom, six stories up. it's around the back of the house.”
“Does it look like an accident” I question him. “He has two head injuries.” He answered. “One to the temple and another at the back of his head. He only hit the ground once.”
“Could have knocked something on the way down, a balcony below? Check for anything that might show it”
“Right away Chief”
I walk around the back of the old house, it looks peaceful, empty. Seeing the body I walk towards it. An officer catches up to me and thrusts a piece of paper towards me. “Sir here are the reports of the suspects, they are in the first floor of the house, living room.”
“I don't have time for that, just tell me.” He hastened to answer. “Two suspects, we have Izzac Vassily, the victims business partner. They do architecture, designed Rudo's house themselves. Claims he was over for a drink discussing business, went downstairs to the celler for champagne, came back up and Rudo was dead. Then he called the police with his mobile. Could have killed the guy himself, wanting the business.” I consider this for a moment. “Could have, but who is the other suspect?”
“Well the butler was in the house at the time, Winton Kennedy. Says he was in his room with a flu when he says he heard something upstairs, then called the police. Its in Rudo's will that he gets the house.”
“What? They both say they called the police?”
“Yessir.” He responds. “Why would either of them lie about that? it's so easy to prove. Whoever it is must be an idiot, go back to HQ and find out the number which called.” The officer nods and walks towards his car. I enter the vast house, inside is what looks to be the butler sitting on the lounge. I watch two guys from forensics climb the stairs for a couple seconds then turn and face him.
“Winton.” I say in my best intimidating voice. His face shows nothing, features like etched stone. Unshaken, I continue. “Tell me what happened.”
“I was in my bed with the flu.” He speaks in a gruff voice. “Heard noise upstairs so I called the police, I went up there and Rudo's business partner was looking down from the balcony. I didn't even know he was in the house, let alone expected here. Rudo was dead on the ground below. Thats when you guys showed up.”
“Ok that will be all for now. Bring in Izzac.”
A short Russian enters the room with an officer, who shepherds Winton out.“What's your side of the story?” I shoot at him. “Keep in mind that if I catch you at a lie, it won't help your case” The man speaks in a nervous voice. “Well I came over here last night to talk about business over dinner. I went downstairs for some champagne, came back up and saw the balcony door open, I looked down and he was dead.”
“You didn't hear anything?” I ask suspiciously. “Nope.”
The two officers I sent off walk in. “Sir it was definetly a murder, I found a large piece of metal in a hedge, it has the victim's blood on it.
“Sir I checked the number that rang. The call was made from this house.”
I turn on the Russian, who flushes. “Ok I didn't call the police, but I didn't kill my partner either. I only said I called because I didn't want you guys to think I did it. “Too late, I say to him. Winton doesn't even have much of a motive, where as you have a big business to gain.” I walk upstairs, everyone follows me. I am met by the forensics. “Sir we dusted the whole place and the murder weapon, theres no finger prints anywhere. Other than Rudos of course. “The murderer had gloves on.” Both suspects show their hands, nobody has gloves. I think for a moment. “Winton show me your room.” We all walk there, “I want you to reenact what happened.”
“Well I was in my bed.” Winton says walking over to the bed. “I heard noise upstairs so I walked over to the phone right here and called the police.” He goes to pick up the phone but i stop him. “No don't touch that.”
“Why?” The butler questions. Ignoring him I look at the forensic's nametag. “Steven, recheck that phone for fingerprints.” He does so quickly. “Nothing.” He says. I supress a smile. “Winton, your under arrest for the murder of Rudo Amadi, you almost got away with it too, you just forgot one thing. You should have taken off the gloves before you called the police.”

Ruroken
08-28-2006, 12:04 AM
did you get graded on it? cuz its a good story

Original Daniel
08-28-2006, 06:05 AM
I'll know my marks tomorrow, ill post what I got then.

Original Daniel
09-01-2006, 11:31 AM
No edit button?

Well anyways I only got a B-

Could have gotten much better but I did a shit job with the paragraphs.

Good thing is, i had to do a job interview for a hpe assignment today but forgot all about it cus i was sick for over a week and came back on the day it was due. I crammed in about 10 minutes while everyone else was being assessed. Made a resume, letter and thaught of questions to ask, borrowed a m8s jeans and used my undershirt and got an A. Highest mark in the class and i spent 10 minutes on it :biggrin:

BattlePenguin
09-30-2006, 03:44 PM
lol great way to improvise