PDA

View Full Version : What Can I Do With C++?

gamer 5
01-04-2008, 02:48 AM
I have been reading online tutorials but im bearly in the basics, and its not intersting!

I just wanted To Know What can I do with it(C++)?

I just want to know to see if it is worth taking time to learn it!

R0b0t1
01-04-2008, 03:26 AM
Anything. Even though it's disputed, this includes defeating Chuck Norris.

bullzeye95
01-04-2008, 04:25 AM
Anything. Even though it's disputed, this includes defeating Chuck Norris.

Am I making myself sound stupid when I say "aren't there some things you can't do with it that you can accomplish my other means?"?

R0b0t1
01-04-2008, 04:41 AM
Well, you can do pretty much anything computer wise...

Think of something you would like to accomplish that you could possibly use a computer for. You can most likely do it in C.

Rune Hacker
01-04-2008, 04:53 AM
Anything to do with computers. All video games are made in C/C++, almost all independent programs are also. Name something to do with a computer...It can be done with C/C++ probably.

gamer 5
01-04-2008, 08:07 AM
How can I actually make a window,
better question is whats the code?
Also what is a good site to learn C++?

R0b0t1
01-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Uhmmm... A good site to learn from would be to look at the sources from random projects at SourceForge.

Anyway... Go DL Microsoft VC++ 2008.

gamer 5
01-04-2008, 11:52 PM
okay thanks for your help!

BenLand100
01-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Uhmmm... A good site to learn from would be to look at the sources from random projects at SourceForge.

Anyway... Go DL Microsoft VC++ 2008.
VC++ 6.0 FTW!

Main
01-06-2008, 01:00 AM
i went around and serch for VC++ 2008 Redistributable Package not much idea what that means, and would that be enough to run work C++?:confused:

R0b0t1
01-06-2008, 01:49 AM
Google FTW!!!!!!!!

Main
01-06-2008, 08:48 AM
google?google what?...

i've not started working with c++ yet, nor i know the basics of C++....

if i didn't ask fully:

what is requierd to run c++/work with (some what)

and also. nice avatar from newgrounds

codx1
01-06-2008, 05:38 PM
if u want to learn c++ heres a good book to start with

learn c++ in 21 days

http://newdata.box.sk/bx/c/

mastaraymond
01-06-2008, 05:39 PM
You can make programs in C++ :rolleyes:

R0b0t1
01-10-2008, 12:15 AM
Orly? I wouldn't have known...

And I didn't get my avvy from newgrounds.

Macro_FTW
01-15-2008, 01:42 AM
You can do a lot with C/C++. I reccomend C++, because that seems to be the most like JAVA, and RuneScape is in Java ;).

At any rate, C++ is a moderately hard language to learn, because the commands are somewhat cryptic (std::cout is the same as writeln('')), and everything is Case Sensative (WriteLn(''), WRITELN(''), writELN(''), etc work as the same thing in PASCAL, whereas std::cout and Std::Cout would mean two entirely different things in C++).

Tips for learning C++:
-Start slow, it gets easier as you get used to cryptic-ness.
-Develop a uniform way for naming variables (I always name my variables ThisIsAVariable, some choose thisIsAVariable, or this_is_a_variable. Just find a standard way to capitalize variables.)
-Look at multiple tutorials/guides. Some don't explain well in a certain area that others explain great in.
-C++ is VERY annoying at times. Compilers are sometimes VERY bad with recognizing errors.
-Good luck

Negaal
01-16-2008, 08:52 PM
what is requierd to run c++/work with (some what)

If you get Visual C++ for free from somewhere then it's good, meanwhile you can use this (http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html)

:)

I'm nub in C, though I'm trying to learn :)

R0b0t1
01-16-2008, 10:10 PM
I don't get how std::cout is cryptic...

Something like this; that would be confusing. (IT works like normal cout though)

std::cout.operator<<("Hello World");

Macro_FTW
01-18-2008, 01:42 AM
I don't get how std::cout is cryptic...

Something like this; that would be confusing. (IT works like normal cout though)

std::cout.operator<<("Hello World");

It isn't, once you learn what it means. However, it is slightly harder to figure out what it means than writeln('');.

cbris
01-18-2008, 02:54 AM
This is somewhat of a noob question, but what can you do with C++ that you cannot do with another programing language, as in SCAR?

Because SCAR is just a Pascal complier, i should say, "but what can you do with C++ that you cannot do with another programing language, as in Pascal."

Why should you learn a language that is comlex when there are other much easer options?

R0b0t1
01-18-2008, 11:54 PM
You can alocate your own memory, you can make a OS, you can set us up the bomb before all your base are belong to us.

GoF
01-20-2008, 06:18 PM
You can alocate your own memory, you can make a OS, you can set us up the bomb before all your base are belong to us.

Too late. All your base are belong to us already. Or is we on same side?

R0b0t1
01-20-2008, 08:10 PM
No. I set us up in all your base. Your base will A Splode (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Funcyclopedia.org%2Fwiki%2FA_Splod e&ei=kKqTR8zpHZO0igHlmPH2Dw&usg=AFQjCNFdLpAQAFSs9qxv7BmIj3gasBRx8w&sig2=wI7gUYaykaAOXXq8BowyPQ).

gamer 5
01-27-2008, 01:06 AM
Is there a manual or something I can get commands from?

R0b0t1
01-27-2008, 04:14 AM
Zomg! You must read the Microsoft documentation before you program us up the application!

gamer 5
01-27-2008, 06:43 AM
Zomg! You must read the Microsoft documentation before you program us up the application!

Umm and that means?:confused:

Yakman
01-27-2008, 12:00 PM
He is saying that to make an application, you have to read and learn about the microsoft windows API.
He is wrong, that API is not necessary to make a c++ program, it really depends on what you want to make, you could make your program only use the command line.
But some for some things, you do have to use the operating system.

like on windows, you have to use the WinSock API for sockets, and on unix, you use the Unix Sockets,
I'v found those two APIs to be quite similar, except for subtle differences, like for winsock, you have to call WSAStartup() once before you start using the library, and WSACleanup() when you finish, and in unix you dont do any of that.
also in unix you call close() and winsock you call closesocket()
another thing is that winsock does not support Raw Sockets.

I suggest you learn about the c++ language and its standard library and only once you know it a bit, start learning about specific APIs

I'v also found it quite nice to join an IRC channel about c++, normally people there can help quite a lot.

R0b0t1
01-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Oh, I didn't really mean the API, but to start, I looked at Microsoft and some Google sites...

But the API is some kewl shizzle, can't doubt that.

Smartzkid
02-02-2008, 05:19 AM
Why should you learn a language that is comlex when there are other much easer options?

A general rule of programming: The easier the language is to learn/read/understand, the slower it is. For example, SCAR is really slow. Pascal is faster than SCAR (talking about compiled code here). Java is faster than Pascal. C++ is faster than Java. Assembly is faster than C++.

Note that this general rule doesn't always hold true, but that's why it's a general rule, eh?